I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

In need of a workout plan
phluff127 Offline
Beta Orbiter

In need of a workout plan
Me:
34 years old
6’0 feet tall
188 pounds
Bench- 120 pounds
Deadlift about 180

I am looking for a 12 or so week program to gain muscle mass. I”d like to lift four or five days a week. I’d like to focus on building my upper body strength as the guys in my family are super weak in the chest and back and I don’t want to look like them when I’m older. I do intend on keeping the lifting going after the 12 weeks but I want to go really hard the next 12 weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2019 09:09 PM by phluff127.)
06-07-2019 09:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Montrose Offline
Wingman

RE: In need of a workout plan
I would do starting strength. For me (old, tall ectomorph) it was the best program both for strength and mass. Three months for starting strength is ideal. Since your lifts are a bit weak, sets of 5 reps will develop your strength more quickly than longer sets. It’s only 3 sessions a week but you could add some auxiliary moves like curls and do 4.
06-08-2019 04:41 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Montrose's post:
sterling_archer, Repo, TheBMan
Montrose Offline
Wingman

The program is as follows:

Day A : squats 3 sets of 5 reps, bench 3 sets of 5, deadlift 1 set of 5
Day B: squats 3 sets of 5, military press 3 sets of 5, power clean 5 sets of 3

Alternate Day A / Day B every 2 or 3 days.

Warm up: 2 sets of 5 with just the bar, then increase the weight for 5 reps, 3 reps, 2 reps to below your current working weight.
06-08-2019 04:48 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montrose's post:
sterling_archer
sterling_archer Offline
International Playboy

Like Montrose said, use Starting Strength in period of 2 to 3 months for that initial newbie gains and to get hold of proper lifting technique. After it progress on some more volume full body program, like ICF. After that you can decide if you will go on a split or not, but doing it now is maybe not advisable, because now is the perfect time for you to utilize that aggressive linear progression.
06-08-2019 07:39 AM
Lermontov Offline
Beta Orbiter

I would do barbell medicine beginner's program. They have the first phase here for free:

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/the-begi...scription/

Starting strength is also good. I did it when I started lifting. However they are many concepts in the book and in the community that are proven to be completely false by evidence based research published in peer reviewed articles.

If I'd do it again, I wouldn't do the power cleans as it's a high velocity exercise and sub optimal for hypertrophy and strength. I'd do bent over rows. Deadlift volume stays low for too much time. I would also transition to intermediate programming (not texas method) as soon as I'd start failing lifts and I can't add weight to the bar.

How I learned russian
06-08-2019 07:44 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lermontov's post:
sterling_archer
sterling_archer Offline
International Playboy

(06-08-2019 07:44 AM)Lermontov Wrote:  I would do barbell medicine beginner's program. They have the first phase here for free:

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/the-begi...scription/

Starting strength is also good. I did it when I started lifting. However they are many concepts in the book and in the community that are proven to be completely false by evidence based research published in peer reviewed articles.

If I'd do it again, I wouldn't do the power cleans as it's a high velocity exercise and sub optimal for hypertrophy and strength. I'd do bent over rows. Deadlift volume stays low for too much time. I would also transition to intermediate programming (not texas method) as soon as I'd start failing lifts and I can't add weight to the bar.

That beginner program surely looks good, think it might even be applicable to experienced lifters, with some minor addons.
06-08-2019 08:07 AM
phluff127 Offline
Beta Orbiter

Thanks guys! Can you explain the warm up routine? Is it the warm up for each individual exercise? And then you proceed to the program sets? Do you lift as much weight as possible for the program reps? I am going to do this program and will give you guys an update in a few months!

EDIT: this explains it pretty well. It seems the warm up is an important aspect of this.

https://startingstrength.com/get-started/faq
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2019 11:02 PM by phluff127.)
06-08-2019 10:28 PM
sterling_archer Offline
International Playboy

1. In full body workouts when you have inside a workout movements that are not similar or not complementary to each other, it is strongly recommended to warmup for both (or more) of these movements.
Example:
- Squat
- Bench Press
- Row
In this case, you would warmup for both Squat and Bench Press, whereas for Row you are already warmed up and you could maybe do just few warmup sets instead of "full warmup".

2. When you do split, where all movements are similar in each workout, you can do warmup for just the first movement and second one.
Example:
- Squat
- Leg Press
- Leg Extension
- Romanian Deadlift...
This is typical leg day in split routines and here you do the full warmup for Squat and for Leg Press you can do one or two lighter sets before going to working weight. Other exercises do not need anymore warmup except maybe Romanian Deadlift as it's not similar too much to other exercises listed.
06-09-2019 01:07 AM
BeardedMastodon Offline
Beta Orbiter

One that is very effective and very minimal which will teach you full body strenght before touching a barbell.

Workout A:3-4 sets of super slow pushups. Set last 30 seconds to 1.25 minutes. Stop before lockout always putting tension on the muscles. No acceleration, 5-8 seconds down, 5-8 seconds up. Go to failure..
Workout B: Curls untill failure, keep reps 10 and below, consider using the super slow technique above.

I have done this for a month and have gained good muscle for eating like crap and poor T. And yes. I am not new to training.

Do this for a month. Watch rapid gains from only 10 min a day. Don’t be fooled. It is hard. If interested I can give more details.
06-09-2019 02:28 AM
Irn Bru Protein Offline
Game Denialist

Starting Strength is a horrific program, mythologised by neckbeards worldwide.

The only upper body development that will kick in is the massive man-tits you’ll sprout after drinking a gallon of milk a day.

If you want to look like shit then SS is the way to go

If you want to look the part then a push pull legs split over 4 days is a good starting point.

Focus on intensity and pain tolerance. Not volume.

Work fucking hard. Last 2 sets to failure, any way you can be it via rest-pause, drop sets or muscle rounds.

The most jacked guys in the gym are the ones busting ass and working out to the point of pain.

The worst looking guys are the ones hogging the squat rack, taking 10 minute breaks between sets to let their ‘CNS recover’

Push

Chest press
Incline chest
Overhead press
Lateral raise
Triceps

Push

Pulldown
Seated row
Rear delts
Curls

Legs

Leg ext
Leg Press
Leg curl
Walking lunges x 100-500

Do variations of these exercises and control the weight. Don’t muscle it up. Burn the muscles out on those last sets. It’s all about pain tolerance.
06-09-2019 09:26 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Irn Bru Protein's post:
Richard Turpin
sterling_archer Offline
International Playboy

(06-09-2019 09:26 AM)Irn Bru Protein Wrote:  Starting Strength is a horrific program, mythologised by neckbeards worldwide.

The only upper body development that will kick in is the massive man-tits you’ll sprout after drinking a gallon of milk a day.

If you want to look the part then a push pull legs split over 4 days is a good starting point.

Work fucking hard. Last 2 sets to failure, any way you can be it via rest-pause, drop sets or muscle rounds.

The most jacked guys in the gym are the ones busting ass and working out to the point of pain.

The worst looking guys are the ones hogging the squat rack, taking 10 minute breaks between sets to let their ‘CNS recover’

Push

Chest press
Incline chest
Overhead press
Lateral raise
Triceps

Push

Pulldown
Seated row
Rear delts
Curls

Legs

Leg ext
Leg Press
Leg curl
Walking lunges x 100-500

Do variations of these exercises and control the weight. Don’t muscle it up. Burn the muscles out on those last sets. It’s all about pain tolerance.

Big Grin

[Image: 8vifbcbvy3c21.jpg]
06-09-2019 09:47 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes sterling_archer's post:
Chivas989
Richard Turpin Offline
Wingman

Yeah, I'm siding with Irn Bru Protein on this. His routine suggestion looks good too, so you should follow that.

SS would improve your numbers quickly, but you will most likely end up looking worse than you did before! Most of us just want to be strong and look good, so you have find that sweet-spot between bodybuilding and lifting heavy.

Whatever lifts you use, you can see great benefits from just doing the following;

Bench (as an example); Go heavy (good form) for 5 reps (3 or 4 sets). Keep trying to increase the weight each workout till you can get 8 (for all sets). Then increase weight (between 5 and 10lbs) and drop back down again to 5 reps. And repeat ...

This gets you real comfortable with heavier weights than you would normally like and is good for busting plateaus. Or if you're a beginner, it will improve you superfast.

‘After you’ve got two eye-witness accounts, following an automobile accident, you begin
To worry about history’ – Tim Allen
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2019 05:58 AM by Richard Turpin.)
06-12-2019 05:56 AM
pampacoder Offline
Male Feminist

(06-09-2019 09:26 AM)Irn Bru Protein Wrote:  Starting Strength is a horrific program, mythologised by neckbeards worldwide.

Push

Chest press
Incline chest
Overhead press
Lateral raise
Triceps

Push

Pulldown
Seated row
Rear delts
Curls

Legs

Leg ext
Leg Press
Leg curl
Walking lunges x 100-500

So, no squatting, no deadlift?
06-14-2019 09:23 AM
Irn Bru Protein Offline
Game Denialist

Squats can be included.

I never put them up because I think you can take the muscles to failure more easily and safely with the exercises I posted.

However if you can take squats to absolute failure safely then have at it!

Deads on the other hand?

I’m not a huge fan. Too risky on the back and taking deads to failure is just asking for trouble.

They really aren’t essential in any program designed to increase muscle mass.
06-14-2019 04:19 PM
RockOn
Tex Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

OP what you really need is knowing how to use the search function

PapayaTapper Wrote:you seem to have a penchant for sticking your dick in high drama retarded trash.
06-14-2019 06:06 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Tex's post:
kaotic, redbeard
nek Offline
Alpha Male

Push

Chest press
Incline chest
Overhead press
Lateral raise
Triceps

Push

Pulldown
Seated row
Rear delts
Curls

Legs

Leg ext
Leg Press
Leg curl
Walking lunges x 100-500

Good Post. Two quick questions:

1) What would the 4-day schedule look like? how much do you rest after the 4-days?

2) Can you expand on your criticism of starting strength?

Thanks.

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.
06-14-2019 11:31 PM
Irn Bru Protein Offline
Game Denialist

My first criticism is within the context of this thread.

OP wants to add mass, particularly in the upper body.

First reply suggests SS. A program with next to no upper body work, zero isolation work and low intensity.

I’ve never seen anyone gain mass on SS. Strength maybe however anyone who tries it has to bastardise it into next week to try and develop a physique that resembles someone who has walked by a gym never mind lifted in one.

The program I suggested should be run

Mon - Push
Tue - Pull
Thu - Legs
Fri - Push

Mon - Pull
Tue - Legs
Thu - Push
Fri - Pull

And so on...

Focus on techniques such as drop sets, eccentrics etc.

Basically anything that traumatises the muscle into next week. Slow painful reps bring results. That’s the harsh reality of successful muscle building. It needs to be painful as fuck.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2019 02:47 AM by Irn Bru Protein.)
06-15-2019 02:01 AM
flanders Offline
Recovering Beta

I know a lot of guys who got fat in their first year of lifting due to SS, and a lot of them have been able to lean out. Guess what, they're all carrying more muscle than the guys who were concerned about abs, and their numbers reflect that.

A lot of guys lift and year-in year-out don't grow at all. Because they don't eat.

If you want to grow, you have to eat. Drink the milk too.

If you eat and do the reps, you will grow.

Leaning out is pretty easy. If you didn't get so fat that you had a huge hanging gut over your belt and and giant man tits then your skin can likely shrink back.

OP if you're serious, then you are willing to spend some money on getting results. Get off the internet, go find a coach, preferably a Starting Strength coach, and do exactly what they say, even if it makes you fat. You'll get awesome results in the five months or so that you'll be on SS.

If you want bigger arms while on SS then buy some dumbbells and shit and do a ton of hammer curls or australian pullups at home, but don't let it take away from your lifting.

You can spend the next three or four months leaning out (if you do a snake diet or PSMF it's so fast it's stupid) and be pretty jacked this time next year.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2019 03:30 AM by flanders.)
06-15-2019 03:28 AM
Irn Bru Protein Offline
Game Denialist

Jesus Christ this is the worst advice ever.

The sort of advice I would expect from some neckbeard who spends more time dispensing with training advice on the internet than actually training themselves.

You’ve basically told OP to ‘get fat’

If I said to any new client ‘hey let’s get you fat so we can strip away the fat then see the muscle’ they would be off like a Jewish foreskin and booking a consult with some ripped PT who would have them on a ‘bro-split’ and consuming a surplus of max 300kcals, putting on some lean mass.

Not guzzling cows milk like some new born because ‘growing’ equates to getting ‘fat’.

I get it. Folk subscribe to Rippetoe because he’s got a turn of phrase and drives home the point of ‘squats and deadlifts’ but let’s be honest. He’s hardly a physique guy.

He’s a 5ft hairy manlet who looks like he failed an audition for the last Hobbit movie.

If you aspire to that then I guess it’s ‘squats and milk bro’

If you want to get jacked and look the part then it’s PPL or bro-split all the way.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2019 05:03 AM by Irn Bru Protein.)
06-15-2019 04:54 AM
Kieran Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

I'd probably go with something like Lyle McDonald's generic bulking routine if I was the OP.
06-15-2019 01:12 PM
flanders Offline
Recovering Beta

(06-15-2019 04:54 AM)Irn Bru Protein Wrote:  Jesus Christ this is the worst advice ever.

The sort of advice I would expect from some neckbeard who spends more time dispensing with training advice on the internet than actually training themselves.

You’ve basically told OP to ‘get fat’

If I said to any new client ‘hey let’s get you fat so we can strip away the fat then see the muscle’ they would be off like a Jewish foreskin and booking a consult with some ripped PT who would have them on a ‘bro-split’ and consuming a surplus of max 300kcals, putting on some lean mass.

Not guzzling cows milk like some new born because ‘growing’ equates to getting ‘fat’.

I get it. Folk subscribe to Rippetoe because he’s got a turn of phrase and drives home the point of ‘squats and deadlifts’ but let’s be honest. He’s hardly a physique guy.

He’s a 5ft hairy manlet who looks like he failed an audition for the last Hobbit movie.

If you aspire to that then I guess it’s ‘squats and milk bro’

If you want to get jacked and look the part then it’s PPL or bro-split all the way.

Yeah I did, dreamer bulk for the win. If you want to stay 148 pounds of "looks the same clothed as somebody who doesn't lift" then follow your advice. There's no such thing as a bad calorie in the first six months of lifting.

Dude's 6' tall, he can eat and lift his way to 235, then probably cut down to 200 in two months and be just fine.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2019 04:38 PM by flanders.)
06-15-2019 04:36 PM
Kieran Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

200 will usually be pretty fat for a natural that's six feet tall. 235 would be really fat.
06-16-2019 03:01 AM
Irn Bru Protein Offline
Game Denialist

Hilarious.

There you go OP. Eat shit tons of peanut butter and drink gallons of milk.

That way you’ll get fat however once those clothes are on you’ll have that ‘full house’ look.

Remember, bodybuilding is all ‘smoke and mirrors’

And then once you’ve ‘dreambulked’ your way into obesity, you can get sliced and diced, stripping away that 33lbs of fat, revealing that 2lb of hard, dense muscle you built. All thanks to those 3x5 squats.

Dearie me.
06-16-2019 06:36 AM
pampacoder
sterling_archer Offline
International Playboy

As an alternative to SS and SL, why not ICF5x5 or its new version, ICF2.0? High volume compound movements, together with much needed accessory lifts which SS laughingly lacks.
06-16-2019 09:58 AM
Kieran Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

^ Good suggestion. Jason Blaha may not look good himself, but I agree with most of his information and the programs are pretty solid.
06-17-2019 02:48 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kieran's post:
sterling_archer

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Iconoclasts Workout Journal Iconoclast007 15 1,758 07-01-2019 10:15 AM
Last Post: Checkmat
  DIY Pre-workout Formulas Ringo 17 2,444 05-21-2019 04:21 AM
Last Post: fktax
  The Bodyweight Workout Thread Nascimento 89 43,083 05-03-2019 06:00 AM
Last Post: Richard Turpin