I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Language Learning Experiences
Kelent Offline
Beta Orbiter

Language Learning Experiences
I've seen smatterings of language learning threads on this forum over the years. I am aware this is not the primary purpose, but a lot of people seem motivated and I figure since many of the threads are not as active as they once were why not make a place for people to share their experiences?

So, for those who have taken up learning a language they're not native in, why did you initially get into it and what drove you past roadblocks? What language(s) did you decide to learn? Was it any more difficult than you initially thought?

For me, learning Korean and Chinese over the years has been tough. Korean is marginally easier in that I have readily accessible media to digest. Until a few years ago, there was virtually nothing in way of Mandarin language media. Netflix has been a godsend, since many of the movies out of Hong Kong include dubbed Mandarin audio. While it isn't as convenient for reading comprehension, the movies are very good for understanding common-ish speech (as translated from Cantonese).

Feel free to share your experience, or link to other language learning threads I may have missed. The only big one I can think of was that one about Russian.
06-08-2019 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kelent's post:
arkandflesh
arkandflesh Offline
Male Feminist

RE: Language Learning Experiences
First post:

I was fascinated immensely by Russia, and not only for the women but also their public stance on tradition that sjw's find so triggering. I studied the language regularly and fairly seriously for about 3 years and spent 3 months living there, mostly in Siberia.

The way I went about learning it was:

Memrise app, introductory Russian course - for the alphabet and basic survival vocabulary

Reading the Russian Reader series by Kristina Molodovskaya, from elementary to pre-intermediate and intermediate levels. Great series and gets you familiar with some useful vocabulary and also helps with understanding Russia culture. Here's a link to Dama c cobachkoy (lady with a dog) which is one of my favourites: https://www.amazon.ca/Russian-Reader-Pre...way&sr=8-3

Russian movies helped a lot. Watching classic soviet movies on youtube with English subtitles and then again with Russian subtitles, and again and again. Helps to get familiar with that fast talking native accent. Gentlemen of Fortune, Kavkaskaya Pleniza (kidnapping caucus style), adventures of Shurik, Debchata (girls), etc.

Russian pop music is pretty catchy and will help cement some of the very common vocabulary about girls and love and whatever, but older Russian songs are also very useful, like Ochi Cheria, Katyusha, etc.

And perhaps one of the most useful: living in Russia and dating Russian women who can not speak English, which is sort of rare because a lot of them can, and then ones who want to date a foreigner usually are the ones who speak English the best and they are absolutely parasitic. It's generally mutually parasitic though, because each participant is using the other, really.

I'd say one of the biggest benefits of language learning is that you can focus your mind on something that is neutral, or positive rather than concerning yourself with the degenerate state of the world.
06-11-2019 03:25 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like arkandflesh's post:
Davidovich, sonoran_
No More Mr. Soy Boy Offline
Chubby Chaser

I can speak 9 languages fluently and I'm onto my 10th language now, which is Hungarian. It's by far the hardest one I've tried to learn so it's a challenge but I am improving every week and it's interesting because it's another way of thinking about sentences with the different word other compared to English and the other languages I speak.

I would say the biggest thing for me is actually how much better people treat me and the experiences I've had, thanks to it. Whenever I meet for example Italians and they realise I speak fluent Italian, they all start to treat me so well (but they're also very open and kind of extroverted people in general).
And all the Italian girls I've..uhm... made sweet love to, have been because I made a cool first impression and became interesting by speaking their language.

I've also been invited to different events and been able to build connections and meaningful relationships in life that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

But I also teached myself pretty much fluent Romanian, just because I was going for a trip there and thought it could be an awesome and underrated spot (yes, I was naive, it's a shit hole).
You would have thought though that I would have raised my social status by being able to speak the language but I noticed the opposite. People there almost looked at me as loser for learning their language and even bothering going there. Complete opposite to the experience I've had with Italians, Romanians were not excited at all that I spoke Romanian, I thought it was odd. Anyway, my advice is not to bother learning smaller shit hole country languages like this unless you're really interested in the language itself.

Learning languages is kind of fun (Duolingo is at least) and it has some positive side effects like it can help me in my career, create friendships, cool experiences, get more out of my trips abroad and help when trying to kiss a girl abroad.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019 08:09 PM by No More Mr. Soy Boy.)
06-11-2019 08:05 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like No More Mr. Soy Boy's post:
Davidovich, Kelent, Dekhengst, Seth_Rose
Georgepithyou Online
Game Denialist

I started learning basic German with duolingo and memrise, I really enjoy the language and how It's very similar to English in a lot of ways
06-12-2019 05:04 AM
TheBadGuy Offline
Game Denialist

(06-11-2019 08:05 PM)No More Mr. Soy Boy Wrote:  I can speak 9 languages fluently and I'm onto my 10th language now, which is Hungarian. It's by far the hardest one I've tried to learn so it's a challenge but I am improving every week and it's interesting because it's another way of thinking about sentences with the different word other compared to English and the other languages I speak.

I would say the biggest thing for me is actually how much better people treat me and the experiences I've had, thanks to it. Whenever I meet for example Italians and they realise I speak fluent Italian, they all start to treat me so well (but they're also very open and kind of extroverted people in general).
And all the Italian girls I've..uhm... made sweet love to, have been because I made a cool first impression and became interesting by speaking their language.

I've also been invited to different events and been able to build connections and meaningful relationships in life that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

But I also teached myself pretty much fluent Romanian, just because I was going for a trip there and thought it could be an awesome and underrated spot (yes, I was naive, it's a shit hole).
You would have thought though that I would have raised my social status by being able to speak the language but I noticed the opposite. People there almost looked at me as loser for learning their language and even bothering going there. Complete opposite to the experience I've had with Italians, Romanians were not excited at all that I spoke Romanian, I thought it was odd. Anyway, my advice is not to bother learning smaller shit hole country languages like this unless you're really interested in the language itself.

Learning languages is kind of fun (Duolingo is at least) and it has some positive side effects like it can help me in my career, create friendships, cool experiences, get more out of my trips abroad and help when trying to kiss a girl abroad.

Could you comment on what you do to learn each language, how much time each one takes you, etc.
06-12-2019 07:22 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TheBadGuy's post:
Chrome, Dekhengst
The Good Life Offline
Game Denialist

(06-11-2019 08:05 PM)No More Mr. Soy Boy Wrote:  I can speak 9 languages fluently and I'm onto my 10th language now, which is Hungarian. It's by far the hardest one I've tried to learn so it's a challenge but I am improving every week and it's interesting because it's another way of thinking about sentences with the different word other compared to English and the other languages I speak.

I feel you on people from certain countries thinking that you are a loser for learning their language. TBH, surprisingly enough, it kind of happens with Brazilians. A lot are open and think that it is cool, but a lot of the upper-middle-class types from the south and southeast will kind of have a "why on earth would you be interested in my culture/language" vibe to them (which is silly because Brazil is an epic country). Contrast that speaking Spanish with a Mexican or Colombian; they are very receptive, happy and impressed that you speak their native language.

It is an interesting concept that kind of gets brushed aside here on this forum.
Today 01:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Keto diet experiences? Donald Duck 202 78,520 06-11-2019 08:39 AM
Last Post: Hell_Is_Like_Newark
  Near Death Experiences.. HHkar 10 1,326 02-14-2019 03:48 PM
Last Post: B-Minus
  Learning a language: a proven life-changing decision Going strong 41 17,958 12-11-2018 10:28 AM
Last Post: Obermarschall