I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Tools Simple goal setting habits - how to
PixelFree Offline
Robin

Smile Simple goal setting habits - how to
Hi all, how do we all do goal setting?

I've read Brian Tracey books, watched plenty of YouTubes and courses and so on, yet I've never developed a solid habit.

Obviously we make them SMART and write them in the present tense. The 'ideal life' exercises have been helpful for me. What else?

Do you write 3 medium term (3-5 years) and 3 long term (5+ years) and read them each morning or once a week? Do you re-write them out again each morning or you go to sleep? Or do we just visual them and have a think about them before we nod off each night.

I'd like to know what we all think it's the most practical way to develop this habit and do this.
06-13-2019 07:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Koolman Offline
Pigeon

RE: Simple goal setting habits - how to
write daily and weekly reports what u do each day and how this action is connected to yr goal
06-13-2019 02:23 PM
ThriceLazarus Offline
Robin

Heal trauma. If you’re having trouble attaining your goals there’s probably emotional issues that are holding you back. This is extremely difficult yet very rewarding.

Then develop discipline. Reasses occasionally to see if your heading is still straight.

As far as writing things down, the most success I’ve had with that technique is to draft up three columns: short/medium/long term. Then I let mysef write in flow-of-consciousness style. After that, fill out the column.

If you have a short term goal, develop it into a long term goal. If you have a long term goal, decipher the short/medium term tasks to reach it.

This worked far better for me then, say, the technique of writing them down and keeping them in your wallet or posted on your wall to constantly remind you.
06-13-2019 05:40 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like ThriceLazarus's post:
PixelFree, Syberpunk
BlastbeatCasanova Online
Kingfisher

Write down your goals every morning when you get up and every night before you go to bed. It’s waaaaaay harder to consistently do than it sounds. The guys killing it as runig the company at my last job lived and breathed goal setting/crushing
06-13-2019 06:49 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like BlastbeatCasanova's post:
Beyond Borders, JCIZZLE, Syberpunk
Zagor Offline
Sparrow

Brain Tracy gives good advice about goal setting and if his advice didn't help you, that means you didn't made the effort to put it in practice. And likewise any advice put here won't be helpful for the same reason.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019 11:52 PM by Zagor.)
06-13-2019 11:51 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zagor's post:
PixelFree
Mig Picante Offline
Woodpecker

"A goal without a plan is just a wish"
Once you've made some goals, you break them down into activities. Then tick them off!

I've discussed this with a number of respected colleagues and found out people use apps like Harvest and Momentum. (I've never heard of them before but respect the people that recommended them). I prefer paper and am spreadsheet for long term.

I've used this successfully to take my gym routines to achieve squats to over x2 bodyweight on multiple occasions.
As an examples you track the weightlifting as an activity and realise there are other dependencies like eating frequency and diet that need to be tracked as activities too.

Other times, I've saved for motorbikes, saved for for shares and investing. Either having the primary goal as an amount of money invested, or achieving a passive income rate. (Sort of like a second-level goal)

I've also found it helpful to review actions and goals made at different times. To check their progress/non-progress. Often I've found non-progress was because the goal was wrong, or I didn't want it enough to commit to performing the action required.. It's good to check the reason and make sure they're appropriate, but only AFTER a significant period of commitment.

Progress has rarely been linear and with experience I now understand that you have to persevere before there are breakthroughs.
That perseverance has been the biggest lesson in achieving goals. Learn to keep going and push yourself even if you get no external cues that you have made progress or any recognition/reward.
06-15-2019 07:13 AM
PixelFree Offline
Robin

(06-13-2019 05:40 PM)ThriceLazarus Wrote:  Heal trauma. If you’re having trouble attaining your goals there’s probably emotional issues that are holding you back. This is extremely difficult yet very rewarding.

Thanks for the responses. Can you elaborate on this?

I've been trying to cut body fat for 10 years. I know what to do - Intermittent fasting, etc. My best mate is even a personal trainer and so I have a good model around me.

It makes me wonder if there is something else going on. Like, deep down, I'm happy or more comfortable being a chubby kid. As soon as I start to lose a bit of weight, I end up sabotaging myself and having a big meal and putting back on what I just lost. I think it is something from my childhood, because whenever I catch up with my brother we both pig out.

I don't have anything going on consciously. Any suggestions on books or websites would be great.
06-17-2019 03:41 AM
ThriceLazarus Offline
Robin

Childhood trauma alters our biochemistry if we don’t get a handle on it. It also becomes deeply ingrained thought patterns. The perplexing part is that the trauma that embeds itself rarely follows rhyme or reason.

For example, I had to deal (and still am dealing) with a sort of ‘Fear of Success’ due to my Father’s perpetual unhappiness - my victories as a child never meant anything, no positive reinforcement, and as such decades later I can’t see success. That makes sense. However, a woman who I learned from had crippling abandonment issues because her Mother didn’t explain (adequately) what being dropped off for her first day of school entailed. She had such a strong emotional reaction - and thus spike in cortisol and adrenaline - that she raised the baseline levels. One day, spontaneously in meditation, she relived the memory and was able to untangle the trauma through detatched awareness and ‘self-love’.

These things are deep and dumb, though sometimes they are also truly horrific (the Satanic Hollywood thread is near the upper limit of that).

There are a lot of ways to tackle this issue because none of them really work - it ultimately boils down to awareness and self-control.

The Western method is therapy (talk/hypno/cbt) while the Eastern method is more experiential (transcendental meditation/yoga/daoist neigong). You’ll have to find what works for you. Sometimes a psychedelic trip can completely rewire what’s fried, but that’s like winning the lottery. Some people need to find their childhood bullies and have a heart-to-heart. It all depends on you.

For the Western mind - “What We May Be” and “Feeling Good” both seem like promising programs. Personally, I need Eastern methods to tackle my brain-problems.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2019 05:29 PM by ThriceLazarus.)
06-17-2019 05:25 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThriceLazarus's post:
Syberpunk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Walden-Simple, Natural living Blake2 7 852 09-26-2019 06:08 PM
Last Post: MusicForThePiano
  Kicking Habits JiggyLordJr 0 461 09-23-2019 12:11 PM
Last Post: JiggyLordJr
  Self improvement, recording habits BalanceLife 4 999 09-08-2019 05:51 PM
Last Post: BalanceLife