I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Making Money Online Courses(Scams)
Kish Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

Online Courses(Scams)
Have taken an online course that's helped you?

I've been scammed twice. One was an Amazon FBA course the other was for Affiliate marketing.

How do you find a really good one vs a scam? Because the course creators offer such a huge commissions to people recommending the course, people on youtube are rarely honest if a course is worth it.

Anytime I click on a video reviewing a course it's always "it's def not a scam guys... oh by the way click the link(affiliate link) to the course is in the description".
06-15-2019 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kish's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
redbeard Offline
True Player
Gold Member

RE: Online Courses(Scams)
I've taken a handful of courses on various topics. Even though courses are the "hot thing" right now, and there are some "scams," there's also a ton of value out there. The key is matching the price to value.

I'm guessing you think they're scams is because the price was wayyyy higher than it should be. That's very common especially once you have a strong social media following. People are hungry for content and courses are a great way to satisfy that need.

Here's some tips to avoid getting scammed:

1. Follow the course creator on social media, podcasts, for months. That way you really get to know the guy, and can see if the content of the course will be BS or not.

*cough* Christian McQueen *cough*

2. Think about expected outcome vs. cost of the course.

For example, if it's a $2k course, and you're not sure you can make the $2k back from it, don't buy it.

On the other hand, WallStreetPlayboys offers a $7 eBook, of course I'm going to buy it, since the odds of getting seven friggin' dollars of ROI out of it is extremely high (since I've been following them for years).

3. Double-check if there is a return policy for the course. If you open it up and it's all content you can find on Google for free, RETURN IT! Ain't no shame in my game. You paid top dollar, you deserve top dollar content. They offer a refund policy, you hold them to it.

4. Don't sign up for a course that has an affiliate program. Simple, you should be able to find unbiased reviews since there's no affiliate program.

5. Exhaust Google as much as possible before buying a high ticket item.

For example, Facebook Ads. Browse Google and you'll find that Facebook themselves offer a free course on Facebook Ads. No need to spend $1k on a course, since you can get the info straight from Zuck's mouth.

6. Be patient, don't rush into any big ticket purchases. Put the course "back on the shelf" for a month and see if you still want it in the future.

Odds are you can get the same info from Google and/or books.

1 Year NoFap Veteran --- No Days Off in Trump's America
06-15-2019 07:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 12 users Like redbeard's post:
Kish, Zeroblack, LeBeau, RagnarLothbrok, zoom, Suits, Handsome Creepy Eel, Marmite, Okami7, Player_1337, Tactician, CaptainChardonnay
RagnarLothbrok Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

Here's my tip:

only buy courses that teach you skills. Don't buy courses that teach you a business model and sell you on the dream of online money, especially when you are starting out. You will just end up jumping from business model to business model without learning any useful skills. Figure out first, how you want to make money online (there is tons of free information out there on the basics of making money online and there is a million different ways to make money) and then learn the skills that are required.

How do you know what skills you need to learn? By taking action and trying to make money before you buy an expensive course. Sooner or later you will get an idea of what exactly is holding you back and then you can base your buying decision on that. Then you will also be able to estimate the expected ROI of the course.

I also believe that some skills are required in almost any online business. If I was about to start all over again, I would spend most of my time learning the basics of marketing, sales, consumer psychology, copywriting and also Wordpress (unless you are dead certain about starting a business that doesn't require a website), before even thinking about buying an expensive course. You can learn those skills from books, cheaper Udemy courses and Youtube videos.

Also, no matter how good the course you bought is: if you fail to take enough action and apply the information inside the course, you will not get very far.

And yes, you can find the content of most courses for free on Google, Youtube etc. When you buy a course, you are not only buying the content. You are mostly buying yourself time (time you would waste searching for free content), structure (the content in a course is structured in a way it makes sense. Most free content is not), accountability, workbooks, templates, and in many cases also access to the course creator and other students.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2019 05:59 AM by RagnarLothbrok.)
06-16-2019 05:57 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like RagnarLothbrok's post:
Kish, Handsome Creepy Eel, Marmite, CaptainChardonnay
SpursFan741 Offline
Recovering Beta

It all depends what you want to learn.

Never ever take courses for Amazon FBA, dropshipping, affiliate marketing etc. but instead watch youtube video's, try to connect with same minded individuals on the related Facebook groups and take PRIVATE COACHING sessions by experts on Upwork.
You can buy similar courses on Udemy anyway for a few bucks. For example: For dropshipping, the key is to hire a copywriter and a facebook advertising/google advertising expert to help you out. For Amazon you can hire a PPC expert etc

But If I would wanted to learn trading for instance, I would take a course because it's a lot more complicated.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2019 07:15 AM by SpursFan741.)
06-16-2019 07:12 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like SpursFan741's post:
zoom, Kish
joost Offline
Chubby Chaser

Lynda.com has an amazing amount of useful courses. Mostly are computer related but there’s many business ones. LinkedIn bought the company and now it’s called “LinkedIn Learning”.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2019 07:35 AM by joost.)
06-16-2019 07:35 AM
Kish Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

Lots of good responses so far.

It's funny when you buy a course for the classic "$997" and it's just 10-20 videos on stuff you could have learned on youtube for free.

This will be a good thread for the forum. Because online course aren't going anywhere.

Speaking of the old forum member who was mentioned on this thread. He was selling a course a few months ago for a lot of money about how to sell courses(I didn't buy it). These internet marketers are making a killing!
06-16-2019 11:36 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Kish's post:
zoom, Handsome Creepy Eel
redbeard Offline
True Player
Gold Member

If you’re talking CMQ, google his name for a good laugh. He’s trying to wipe himself from the internet and re-brand.

El Mechanico absolutely vindicated!

06-16-2019 11:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like redbeard's post:
zoom, Handsome Creepy Eel
zoom Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

Lots of good comments here and I agree that this could be an important thread for the forum.

I just don't think these high-priced courses are worth it when there is so much free information out there. $1,000 that goes to a facebook ad course could go to an actual ad campaign. You learn best from experience.
06-16-2019 12:02 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like zoom's post:
redbeard, Handsome Creepy Eel
Kelent Offline
Beta Orbiter

Although it may not be in the same range, Lynda and The Great Courses Plus we're decent for what they were. There's also free coding classes from universities that have a paid component (ie you hand in assignments and get a certificate at the end).
06-16-2019 06:37 PM
ElChacal Offline
Male Feminist

My advice is to start selling courses instead of buying them if you want to make money off online courses
06-19-2019 10:00 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ElChacal's post:
Kish
Player_1337 Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

(06-16-2019 11:52 AM)redbeard Wrote:  If you’re talking CMQ, google his name for a good laugh. He’s trying to wipe himself from the internet and re-brand.

El Mechanico absolutely vindicated!

https://30daystox.com/christian-mcqueen-...-tell-all/

I called him out years ago. He was always a try-hard cliche.

ABC
06-19-2019 10:50 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Player_1337's post:
redbeard
Enhanced Eddie Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

I bought some courses from the "Syndicate" years ago and was very happy with all of them. Andy Jenkins, Jeff Walker, Frank Kern, a few others... they all have books that you can check out for free + shipping so you don't buy a pig in a poke.
06-19-2019 11:44 PM
CincinnatiKid Offline
Game Denialist

If you're interested in Construction work, OSHA-10 only costs $25, 10 hours to complete. Once you finish, you can cold-call any company and get hired as soon as you finish a Drug Screen.
07-03-2019 05:03 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes CincinnatiKid's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
sittinpretty2020 Offline
Male Feminist

I'm thinking of taking programming courses for the purpose of getting certifications so I can land a job at a tech company or startup.

Are most/all online programming courses scams or what? Has anyone gotten online certifications and gotten a programming job soon after? If so, please recommend some. I'm also in the Bay Area so I have access to lots of "coding bootcamps" in my vicinity, but I'm not sure how good they are.

I'd take classes at a community college but that takes too long.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2019 05:43 PM by sittinpretty2020.)
07-03-2019 05:34 PM
WanderingFlame Offline
Male Feminist

I make this post as an individual with multiple successful businesses outside of the "online" sphere. I.e. businesses with real workforces, physical store-fronts, etc.

I've always kept an eye on the online marketing sphere of business. With everyone/everything I've ever seen, it's always the same pattern.

1. Things don't add up. They are throwing huge numbers around, as if its normal for people to constantly be spending thousands of dollars on random courses. There is little substance to prove what they are saying. Just a video of them talking, with an arbitrary tropical-looking background that's supposed to make them look successful. My businesses turn over multiple millions of $ per year, but there's no way in hell I'd spend even $1k on some bullshit course. That's why my businesses are successful.

2. There is no true value in their courses. Really they are training you to be the latest addition to what is not far from a pyramid scheme, often selling advice and how to sell advice. It's a massive network/chain of people selling an artificial service. Where is the end value? The hard part about business is actually taking action and getting shit done. Consistently working hard and working SMART and efficiently. Doing what needs to be done. Buying such courses is merely a mental buffer against having to think and do for yourself. There is no magic answer. Sit down. Learn. Start doing. Get advice from real professionals, and not online "gurus".
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2019 07:50 AM by WanderingFlame.)
07-06-2019 07:44 AM
redbeard Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(07-03-2019 05:34 PM)sittinpretty2020 Wrote:  I'm thinking of taking programming courses for the purpose of getting certifications so I can land a job at a tech company or startup.

Are most/all online programming courses scams or what? Has anyone gotten online certifications and gotten a programming job soon after? If so, please recommend some. I'm also in the Bay Area so I have access to lots of "coding bootcamps" in my vicinity, but I'm not sure how good they are.

I'd take classes at a community college but that takes too long.

You're in the Bay Area - try meeting guys who have jobs that you'd want, and see what their opinion/experience is.

I am not a programmer but from what I've heard, there are so many "coding bootcamps" out there that the quality varies widely. Find graduates and see where they're working.

One common thread I have heard is that 3-month bootcamps are not going to throw you right into a six figure career just because you have a cert. They want experience and a portfolio to show for it. What this means for you is that if you do go to the bootcamp route, crush it and then move on to getting experience ASAP. You don't want to be sitting on the sidelines.

07-06-2019 08:06 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes redbeard's post:
sittinpretty2020
GT777733 Offline
Recovering Beta

Red beard's tips are pretty good

In addition - I'd suggest joining Facebook groups of the thing you want to get into e.g. Facebook ads, Shopify stores etc.. Join groups with other people wanting to do the same thing you are or with other people who are already consultants or business owners.

If the groups are all pitching and selling, you know it's likely a scam.

But, being in a good group with people at a similar or further ahead stage to you, asking questions you probably want to know the answers to as well, is priceless when you first start out to make progress. You can also start making connections.

The other biggest tip I have after you've got a basic understanding after reading blogs and Youtube vids with free info and after being in free facebook groups is to just start doing whatever it is you want to do (like Wandering Flame said). Be serious about it - start doing it every day. Bootstrap when you first start - only spend money that your business is bringing in (or only spend a very small nominal amount like $500), until you have proof of concept and you know where it's most effective to spend your money.

You will start having questions of your own, and you will find out what the core key problems business owners and consultants need to solve to have a successful business are. Once you have experience yourself and you form an idea of what information you need to get more successful or more results in a given space, you'll start sniffing out who the bullshit artists are straight away because it will be all vague or overhyped marketing fluff. The legit people usually offer good content for free, and very specific sh*t you need to know the answers to.

The longer you spend time in a particular space, the more you can see through all the tricks and quality information and people.

So, people who persist and want it the most usually end up successful at one point or another.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2019 09:17 AM by GT777733.)
07-06-2019 09:13 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like GT777733's post:
redbeard, sittinpretty2020, Handsome Creepy Eel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Making Money]  My Udemy courses thread Zanardi 70 23,958 06-19-2019 04:04 PM
Last Post: Deepdiver
  [Education]  Basic Online Courses for Computer-Illiterate Folk? Beyond Borders 4 4,529 09-26-2017 05:58 PM
Last Post: debeguiled
  Beware of I.R.S. scams Merenguero 19 6,333 10-29-2015 12:19 AM
Last Post: Emancipator