I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Experiences on downsizing your living situation
Zenta Offline
Beta Orbiter
Gold Member

Experiences on downsizing your living situation
I've recently been giving a lot of though to leaving my current house and renting a smaller but more expensive apartment in a more popular part of town.
I live in the southern Midwest and have always lived in a house all my life. Me and my ex bought a 1500sqft 2 car garage 3bdrm 7 years ago that I recently sold a year ago and now I am renting a 1200 sqft 1bd 1 loft, 2 bathrooms, extremely large garage house thats a cool place, but has old shitty foundation that floods the basement nonstop now as it gets worse and its surrounded by used car dealerships albeit it is closed off and on the other side of them.

Its a cool house and I only pay $950 a month for it, but now I am looking at 750 sqft apartment in an up and coming part of town, cool place, top level of a modern looking building and close to all the popular bars etc, unfortunately no private parking, only covered. Rents for 1325 a month however, so it is $375 more a month for about half the total space I have right now. I alternatively could find the same size house/apartment for rent for ~600-800 month, but it will still either be stuck out here in the lame ass suburbs or the outskirts of town.

I'm trying to justify spending the extra $375 a month on a smaller place but in a much cooler part of town, especially since I have never lived in any popular area like that in my life, but still keep having hold backs on just pissing that money away when I could be saving it up for my later years or for using over seas at some point. I feel like downsizing will give me a lot more time in my extremely busy day to not have to do so much upkeep in my current space that just has alot of dead zones. I also think living in a nice area with some foot traffic and a nice place will do alot of my mental house instead of living in a unique but poorly configured house with issues out here in the suburbs, with the alternative being just another incredibly boring house or apartment to save money. The money isn't going to make or break me so I think the extra $375 a month will be worth trying it out for a year if nothing else.

Just curious to hear from people if they had positive or negative experiences downsizing their living situation to something more manageable and especially from going from living in the suburbs/country area to a more populated city setting. Thanks.
06-19-2019 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
5-7 Hedonist Offline
Game Denialist

RE: Experiences on downsizing your living situation
Not speaking from personal experience here, but three parties I know have downsized, two single men, both parents with college age kids, and one couple kids out of the house. All three have said glad they pulled the trigger, would have done it sooner if their circumstances allowed.

Their all seem to have an improved quailty of life, this may from biased to my perspective because I want to do it also but have to hold off another year or two.
06-19-2019 08:06 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like 5-7 Hedonist's post:
Zenta, Handsome Creepy Eel
VNvet Offline
Recovering Beta

You're a single guy, right?

750 sqft should be plenty. You really only need a bedroom, kitchen, and dining/living area. Don't see the need for a bigger house.

An extra $375/month shouldn't be a lot of money. You'd be better off figuring out a way to earn the extra income than worrying about it.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2019 09:07 PM by VNvet.)
06-19-2019 09:06 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like VNvet's post:
Isaac Jordan, Handsome Creepy Eel
Zenta Offline
Beta Orbiter
Gold Member

(06-19-2019 09:06 PM)VNvet Wrote:  You're a single guy, right?

750 sqft should be plenty. You really only need a bedroom, kitchen, and dining/living area. Don't see the need for a bigger house.

An extra $375/month shouldn't be a lot of money. You'd be better off figuring out a way to earn the extra income than worrying about it.
yeah I've got the extra income covered already. Its probably top 20% rent for my area is all, so I am definitely paying for location pretty heavily. But at the end of the day my dreams of moving to SEA are on hold because of work and taking care of some family members here. I think I should just pull the trigger so I can enjoy the area im in while I'm stuck here if nothing else.
06-19-2019 09:09 PM
BBinger Offline
Chubby Chaser

(06-19-2019 09:09 PM)Zenta Wrote:  
(06-19-2019 09:06 PM)VNvet Wrote:  You're a single guy, right?

yeah I've got the extra income covered already. Its probably top 20% rent for my area is all, so I am definitely paying for location pretty heavily. But at the end of the day my dreams of moving to SEA are on hold because of work and taking care of some family members here. I think I should just pull the trigger so I can enjoy the area im in while I'm stuck here if nothing else.

If your plan is eventually to try the nomad thing you could try smaller than 750 square feet. 300-400 square feet studios are a pretty common size around the world.
06-19-2019 10:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes BBinger's post:
Zenta
BlastbeatCasanova Offline
Chubby Chaser

Are you active in the sexual/dating market? If so, I think paying a little extra for a cool spot with great logistics (more important than “coolness” IMO) would be worth every dollar.
06-19-2019 10:52 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like BlastbeatCasanova's post:
Zenta, MikeInRealLife
Zenta Offline
Beta Orbiter
Gold Member

(06-19-2019 10:52 PM)BlastbeatCasanova Wrote:  Are you active in the sexual/dating market? If so, I think paying a little extra for a cool spot with great logistics (more important than “coolness” IMO) would be worth every dollar.

I am and logistic wise its a gold mine. Biggest popular german bar is a minute away, along with some new spots all the college aged girls are hanging out, plus a rooftap bar not too far away either. All 5 minutes walking distance. I think I'll pull the trigger.
06-19-2019 11:45 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Zenta's post:
JackinMelbourne, MikeInRealLife, Vincent Chase
mammal Offline
Recovering Beta

Many of us when going to college went from the suburbs to a small dorm room in a big city and lived on campus. Lots of parallels to your situation. Consider moving much of your furniture to storage some where in the 'burbs where it's cheaper. Storage costs doaddup but it's a way to test the waters for a year or so without having to junk your things.
06-25-2019 12:59 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes mammal's post:
Zenta
Zenta Offline
Beta Orbiter
Gold Member

(06-25-2019 12:59 PM)mammal Wrote:  Many of us when going to college went from the suburbs to a small dorm room in a big city and lived on campus. Lots of parallels to your situation. Consider moving much of your furniture to storage some where in the 'burbs where it's cheaper. Storage costs doaddup but it's a way to test the waters for a year or so without having to junk your things.

Luckily it comes with a storage closet across the hall that is decent size. So I went to look at the unit last week and sadly it wasn't the unit pictured in the website pictures and was even a bit smaller but I still went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. I am looking forward to moving to a now popular and booming part of town a few minutes away from downtown instead of the isolated rent house I currently live in surrounded by a junkyard and used car dealerships. I got a decent raise at work that will cover a majority of my rent now which just sweetens the deal.

I've become more of a minimalist as the years go on and I am honestly looking forward to the smaller space taking in mind that it will be a big adjustment. I've already paired down alot of my belongings and moved my whole loft down into my living room after selling some other stuff I never use like a big ass treadmill and some other workout equipment. Sadly I am going to have to sell my power rack and barbell+weights as I have no where at all to put them but its no big deal, I'll keep my flat bench and just start hitting workouts with my adjustable dumbbells and life will go on.

I'm mostly looking forward to an increased mood since I can walk out my door there and cross the street and go use my tablet in the bookstore there and actually socialize with people more instead of the isolated pit I currently live in. Easier said than done since I have been wanting to do this for a while, but there is no good place in the new apartment to put a decent computer desk so if I want to use my surface tablet or laptop I'll be better served walking out of my door and sitting down a few minutes away. Hopefully things start looking up!

Thanks all for the advice.
06-26-2019 11:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Keto diet experiences? Donald Duck 229 81,228 Yesterday 08:59 PM
Last Post: TravelingBodybuilder
  Language Learning Experiences Kelent 40 2,905 07-15-2019 12:02 AM
Last Post: bucky
  What would you do in my situation tugofpeace 11 1,407 05-21-2019 06:45 PM
Last Post: Zenta