I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Checkmat's LEO Academy Prep Log
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

Checkmat's LEO Academy Prep Log
Stats
5'9" 210lbs
BF 18%?
TRT 140mg/wk
MK-677

Got hit with two tentative offers with fed LEO agencies last week. One is "easy", one is very challenging. I don't know which one I will go with, but either way I need to get into "academy shape". Cardio, endurance and work capacity.

I'm doing prep work from Mountain Tactical Institute (https://mtntactical.com/)

Although I am in decent shape from BJJ, my running is nonexistent. I tried to run a mile the other day and had to stop after half a mile. Killer lower back pain and overall weakness.

I had this problem in the military when I got into powerlifting. I ballooned up to 230lbs and could barely run. Ashamed of myself, I quit powerlifting, started BJJ and crossfit and lost 60lbs. My best 1.5 mile run time in the Air Force was 9:30.

So the goal here is to lose some weight without losing significant muscle mass, improve my run time to a respectable level, greatly improve work capacity and muscular endurance.

I'm keeping in some strength/cosmetic training. If recovery becomes an issue I will drop it and stick to the MTI programming. Also will be hitting BJJ at least 5 hours every week.

"There's no such thing as different but equal." -Dante Nero
06-23-2019 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Checkmat's post:
vinman
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

RE: Checkmat's LEO Academy Prep Log
23Jun19

Strength/Physique

Incline DB BP
85'sx10
80'sx10
75'sx10

Incline Perfect Push Ups (feet on bench)

Zottman Curls
45'sx12
40'sx12
35'sx10

MTI Training

Warm up
4 rounds of
4-square drill
8 squats
8 push ups
8 sit ups
instep stretch

Max Perfect Push ups in 60 seconds

Max Sit ups in 60 seconds

Max Pull ups

Notes

-For now, I am doing all push ups with dumbells in "perfect pushup" form. Makes the reps more challenging and easy on inflamed wrist tendinitis I'm dealing with

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2019 01:23 PM by Checkmat.)
06-23-2019 01:22 PM
AcftW Offline
Recovering Beta

Looks pretty solid man. Have you been using MK-677 for a while? Stuff makes me positively ravenous and sleep like a baby.

Only thing I might suggest is throwing in some horizontal pulling like rows in conjunction with your pull ups.
06-23-2019 03:15 PM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

(06-23-2019 03:15 PM)AcftW Wrote:  Looks pretty solid man. Have you been using MK-677 for a while? Stuff makes me positively ravenous and sleep like a baby.

Only thing I might suggest is throwing in some horizontal pulling like rows in conjunction with your pull ups.

About 6 months now. Seems to have leveled out but yeah I ate everything in sight at first.

Why do you suggest the horizontal pulling?

06-24-2019 12:18 AM
AcftW Offline
Recovering Beta

For your overall strength/physique goals. I’m not sure how you structure your pull up training, but you’re doing two exercises for chest (Incline db bench and pushups), and only pull ups for lats.

For myself, I noticed a more aesthetic change in my lats from adding horizontal rows (in my case cable rows) than by just doing weighted pull ups in the past. I was able to feel a lot more of a pump.
06-24-2019 09:48 AM
Geomann180 Offline
True Player
Gold Member

I wish you the best luck.

Looking forward to more updates.

G
06-24-2019 01:05 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Geomann180's post:
Checkmat
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

@AcftW I do have some more pulling planned for Wednesday. I should throw in some rowing, it cant hurt.

@Geomann180 thank you, I appreciate it.

06-24-2019 07:49 PM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

24Jun19

MTI Training

1 mile run, outdoor rubber track
9:32

My lower back started aching halfway through. I walked for about 30 seconds then continued running until I hit 1 mile. Walked one more lap and rolled out.

The last time I ran was Friday: 0.81 miles in 9:46 before quitting. So as bad as I am, I am making progress.

90 Minutes BJJ

Worked on de la riva guard a lot, sweeps and submissions starting from them standing in your guard, go to DLR, either twist sweep, tripod sweep or climb into spider guard into a triangle. Big takeaway is to dig your feet into their shoulder and get your hips high before jumping the triangle.

My back was hurting from being bent over so much in my training partners' DLR/spider guards so I sat out for a little. Then went in and rolled with a couple of white belts, a blue belt, a brown and a 1st degree black belt.

Despite my back and overall poor cardio level, I rolled pretty well today. Worked on (safely) attacking neck cranks from top side on the white, blue and brown belt. Tapped the black belt with a very hard-fought triangle. Took 2 minutes to finish but rolled him and finished from the mount. Then he tapped me with an arm bar from his guard.

Strength/Physique

Lifefitness Leg Press Machine
250x10
250x10
250x10

Lunges
100 reps, rested ~60s between sets of 25

Assault Treadmill
2 minutes @ ~7.0mph

Notes

-I've never ran on the assault treadmill before. It scared the shit out of me because I didn't feel in control of the speed. Just wanted to see how my running endurance was feeling after a full day. Answer: nonexistent.

-Did 3 minutes in the full-body cryo machine. I knew the girl working there from jiu-jitsu. She is pretty cute, I think she's interested in me.

(This post was last modified: 06-24-2019 07:55 PM by Checkmat.)
06-24-2019 07:52 PM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

25Jun19

MTI Training

MTI Warmup

10 minutes Turkish get ups, 30lb kettlebell for reps
26 reps

5 min rest

Airdyne X Bike
4 rounds of:
600m every 2:30 minutes

5 min rest

Stationary Bike
1.5 miles, @90rpm, level 10

90 minutes BJJ

Worked on Peruvian neck ties. Rolled with our best heavyweight brown belt and felt pretty good. Then went with a few purples, blues and whites and felt great. Some wrist tendonitis flared up during rolling but managing OK. My timing is feeling really good lately. But I need to work on better control from kesa gatame.

Notes

-Was supposed to be ten minutes of Turkish get ups but I stopped at 8 minutes because I had to take a shit. It's a poor excuse.
Haven't done TGU's in years. I'm sure I looked pretty silly knocking these out all wobbly.

-Was supposed to be running today, but my calves and ankles are killing me. Some research I found stated that biking can be a good substitute for running but to double the distances.

-Legs and calves are very sore today, 7/10. I can see how important leg muscular endurance is for running.

-No lower back problems today.

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 02:45 PM by Checkmat.)
06-25-2019 02:44 PM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

26Jun19

MTI Training

MTI Warm up
3 Rounds of:
8 squats
8 push ups
8 sit ups
instep stretch

6 rounds of:
5x renegade man makers with 25lb dumbbells
10 squats
15 sit ups
0.2 mile run

Total time: 25 minutes

Notes

-Was supposed to be 8 rounds ^ of the above workout PLUS pull ups and rowing, but I didn't plan for having enough time at the gym. Quick turn from my shift last night. S'okay, the workout was very challenging.

-I think I picked a program that is probably too advanced for my current athletic state. So I am making some adjustments as I go along. For example, the actual programming for today called for the 0.2 mile run portions to be with a 50lb sandbag (the FUCK) as well as squatting with the sand bag. My back being what it is, I'm taking the weight away for now.

-Little back tightness, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Wrist is feeling halfway decent.

-Calves and ankles are still very sore but I get a break from running until Sunday, thank god.

06-26-2019 10:45 AM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

27Jun19

90 minutes BJJ

Woke up feeling good but just jogging on the mat doing warm-ups made my back ache. Drilling takedowns for 45 minutes didn't help.

Took it easy with rolling and went with white and blue belts today, guys a few pounds lighter than me. Stayed injury-free and hit a new submission I felt out on the fly. It's like a strong cross face but you isolate the guy's neck with your other arm so it turns into a neck crank.

Also got 10 minutes of cryotherapy on my wrist. It's actually feeling a LOT better.

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2019 02:46 PM by Checkmat.)
06-27-2019 02:43 PM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

As far as the LEO academy goes, it looks like the easier academy/higher paying agency is going to be issuing a firm offer and start date soon. Spoke with my prospective new boss today and it sounds very exciting.

06-27-2019 02:45 PM
Greyman
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

28Jun19

Physique

Side Delt raises
22'sx12
22'sx12
22'sx12
22'sx12
22'sx12

Neck Raises
45lb platex12
45lb platex12
45lb platex12
45lb platex12
45lb platex12

Rear Delt Flies
145x10
145x10
145x10
145x10
145x10

Dry Sauna, 185F
12 minutes

06-28-2019 01:24 PM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

29Jun19

MTI Training

1.5 mile walk outside

60 minutes BJJ rolling

Went with a couple of heavyweight brown and purple belts, a biggish purple belt and a blue. Felt fluid and good today and identified one thing I really need to drill a ton to improve my muscle memory and reaction speed/timing.

Notes

-MTI training was supposed to be a 6 mile ruck. My back isn't ready for that, and I don't own a ruck.

06-29-2019 04:37 PM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

30Jun19

Strength/Physique

Incline DB Bench Press
90's x10 (PR)
85's x11
80's x11

Zottman Curls
50's x10
45's x10
40's x12

MTI Training

MTI Warm up

5 rounds:
18 push ups every 90 seconds

5 rounds:
14 sit ups every 90 seconds

5 rounds:
5 pull ups every 90 seconds

2 rounds:
0.5 mile run on assault treadmill, rest 3 min

1 round:
1.0 mile Airdyne X

Notes

-All of the strength and calisthenics work today was easy.

The running fucked me up. Maybe it's because I'm wearing barefoot trail running shoes. Cardio-wise I felt pretty good, but at around the 0.3 mile mark my lower back started aching. Then my calves starting aching after 0.5 miles. It was supposed to be 3 rounds of running, but I moved to the Airdyne bike for round 3 and doubled the distance.

Holy fuck, I need to lose weight and condition my body to running.
Even though I will likely be doing the easier LEO academy, I don't want to be struggling with 1.5 + mile runs.

06-30-2019 01:38 PM
AcftW
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

01Jul19

MTI Training

Warm up

6 rounds of:
5 sandbag get-ups (20#)
5 burpee pull-ups
5 bar heel taps
hip stretch

10 min rest

10 min AMRAP (as many rounds as possible):
10 squats
200m run on assault treadmill
4 rounds total

5 min rest

10 min grind:
6x cauldron with 45#
6x kneeling kettlebell slasher with 15#

foam roll hips, glutes and lower back

75 minutes BJJ

Went to one of my team's smaller gyms tonight. Drilled a good amount and rolled with a heavy brown belt, heavy purple belt, a medium brown belt, female blue belt and a giant, strong white belt. Felt a little sluggish/sloppy tonight for whatever reason.

Notes

-Whittled the MTI workout down a bit from 20 minute grind to 10 minutes, and only did 8 minute AMRAP with the running and squats. I'm a pussy now, but I'm getting there.

07-01-2019 10:18 PM
ThriceLazarus Offline
Beta Orbiter

“The running fucked me up. Maybe it's because I'm wearing barefoot trail running shoes. Cardio-wise I felt pretty good, but at around the 0.3 mile mark my lower back started aching. Then my calves starting aching after 0.5 miles.”

Where in the low back is the pain? Crest of the hip? Around the spine? On the sacrum? Any pain running down the back or the side of the leg? Ever had any trouble with sciatica? Barring any disk issues, my guess is that your gluteus medius and minimus are knotted up - when either get too fibrotic they refer pain into the low back and down the leg. Lacrosse ball should handle it.

Honestly, pick up a copy of Becoming A Supple Leopard - the increased mobility will take your BJJ to another level.
07-01-2019 10:23 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThriceLazarus's post:
Checkmat
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

02Jul19

MTI Training

Warm up

8 rounds of:
3 turkish get-ups with 30# kettlebell every 90 seconds

10 minute rest

5 rounds of:
200m run, 2 minute rest

BJJ 60 minutes

My body was not responding well today. My legs were sore, weak and tired. Felt like I was moving at half speed. Struggled even through drilling, then rolled with one of our best brown belts and an athletic blue belt. Survived with the brown belt after some back and forth. Really happy to have hit this arm bar escape that I learned at Dean Lister's gym last year. Gave a half-ass effort to the blue belt before tapping him with a triangle-arm bar. Also did some positional rolling with a very large, but injured, purple belt.

Notes

-Today's MTI workout was pretty easy, but I left out some more prescribed running.

-I ran very fast (for me) on the assault treadmill and had zero back pain! Huge fucking win.

-Legs and upper body are fairly sore. Moreso in the legs though. I don't think I'm overtrained but am still adapting to this new work load.

07-02-2019 02:31 PM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

(07-01-2019 10:23 PM)ThriceLazarus Wrote:  “The running fucked me up. Maybe it's because I'm wearing barefoot trail running shoes. Cardio-wise I felt pretty good, but at around the 0.3 mile mark my lower back started aching. Then my calves starting aching after 0.5 miles.”

Where in the low back is the pain? Crest of the hip? Around the spine? On the sacrum? Any pain running down the back or the side of the leg? Ever had any trouble with sciatica? Barring any disk issues, my guess is that your gluteus medius and minimus are knotted up - when either get too fibrotic they refer pain into the low back and down the leg. Lacrosse ball should handle it.

Honestly, pick up a copy of Becoming A Supple Leopard - the increased mobility will take your BJJ to another level.

I have a pars defect (fractured spine) and L5/S1 bulging disc with annulus tear. This gives me some sciatica and lower back pain when doing certain things. It's mostly on the left side of my lower back.

The Mountain Tactical Institute program that I'm doing does have some prescribed lower back foam rolling. I need to actually make time to do it at the end of my workouts.

07-02-2019 02:34 PM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

03Jul19

Strength/Physique

Wide Pull Ups

Cable Row
80 (kg?) x10
80x10
80x10

MTI Training

0.5 mile run

rest 3 minutes

1.0 mile stationary bike

Notes

-Today was pretty fucked up. Work had a quick turnaround again, went to bed late and woke up early. My lower back started hurting during the run so I amended the workout to include the bike. Skipped the warm up and realized I was running nearly an hour behind schedule. Didn't even pack my gi to hit BJJ after work. Did not have time to foam roll my legs or lower back either.

-Feeling pretty beat and exhausted. Going to go to bed early tonight, get in a good MTI workout tomorrow but no BJJ because of the holiday.

-Even though this week wasn't the best, I'm going to finish it strong in all areas that I can control. Maintain my good habits and really kill it next week.

-Should hear about an academy date soon. As of now I'm expecting to have 2-3 more months to prepare.

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2019 08:28 PM by Checkmat.)
07-03-2019 08:28 PM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

04Jul19

MTI Training

Quick warm up

6 rounds for time:

5x renegade man makers with 25# dumbbells
10 squats
10 sit ups
run 0.2 miles

total time: 31:04

Foam roll lower back, glutes and hips

3 minute incline walk

Notes

-Took a lot of zzquil last night and woke up super groggy. Still trying to shake the fog.

-For whatever reason, this felt harder and took longer than the same workout did, last week, on less sleep. I think maybe I stuck to the prescribed workout more diligently this time.

-Lower back felt fine. Some tightness but no pain or major discomfort. The foam rolling also felt really good.

-I was supposed to do farmer's carry with 50lb dumbbells as well, but I skipped them like a bitch. I was worried that it would aggravate my lower back. I should have bicycled instead then, rather than just stopping the workout early.

(This post was last modified: 07-04-2019 12:59 PM by Checkmat.)
07-04-2019 12:58 PM
Geomann180 Offline
True Player
Gold Member

When you check progress (aside from increasing weights) do you just check your weight or do you measure your body?

(chest, calfs, waist, biceps, etc)

G
07-04-2019 04:03 PM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

Just step on the scale. 209lbs this morning, for instance.

I’m more interested in measuring performance than looks right now.

07-05-2019 12:03 AM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

05Jul19

Physique

Side DB Raises
(25'sx12) x 5

Neck Raises
45lb plate x 12 x5

Rear Delt Flies
145x12 x5

BJJ 60 minutes

Maybe 5 hours of sleep, if that. The weights felt fine but jiu-jitsu was an astronomical struggle and ass-kicking. Everyone had my number today. Rolled with an insanely good purple belt, a young athletic black belt from Brazil, a female heavyweight black belt, and three game blue belts.

Fuuuuck spent everything I had today. Like, lying in a puddle of my own destruction after class. Felt about 35% of my full self today. Really need a good night of sleep.

Lower back was aching too, though not sure what from.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2019 02:30 PM by Checkmat.)
07-05-2019 02:29 PM
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

06Jul19

Strength/Physique

DB Incline Bench Press
95's x10 (PR)
90's x10
85's x10

MTI Training

Warm up

5 rounds:
every 90 seconds do 18 push ups

5 rounds:
every 90 seconds do 14 sit ups

5 rounds:
every 90 seconds do 6 pull ups

Run 0.33 miles
3 minute rest
Run 0.21 miles
3 minute rest
Run 0.25 miles
3 minute rest
Run 0.25 miles

Notes

-This workout was way harder than last week's was. Everything felt more challenging. During sit ups I developed sharp ab pain spread across my core. I thought maybe I was on the verge of an injury but I was able to control it. Pull ups felt more challenging too.

-Then the running. This was wayyy modified down from what the workout called for. My calves, legs and cardio just couldn't keep up. I am not improving my running nearly as well as I thought it would by now.

I'm wondering what the problem is. Am I overtrained? I don't think so. I'm on TRT and SARMs and eating plenty of food. My sleep has been shitty the past week, getting average of 6 hours per night. I also was sneezing a lot the past few days. Maybe I've been working through a mild flu or illness.

-Weight is going down a little and my physique looks good.

-Forgot to do curls!

07-07-2019 01:44 PM