I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Does "big fish in a small pond" theory apply to game at all?
forgottenowl Offline
Game Denialist

Does "big fish in a small pond" theory apply to game at all?
I'm self-admittedly not a super suave dude yet. Early 20s, fit but nothing crazy, moderate game. For someone not super experienced yet I'm wondering if it would be better to steer away from forum favorites such as NYC, Miami, and LA and try out 2nd/3rd tier city where the male competition isn't as strong and I might stand out more. I would be fine settling for 6s and 7s at the moment tbh. I know i could travel to the Philippines but I'm focusing on cities to live and find jobs ( so not focusing on college towns either).

I'll probably just go wherever I'll get paid the most but thought this would be an interesting conversation.

Does this make any sense at all or would it not work out like this?
06-24-2019 12:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
TooFineAPoint Offline
Alpha Male

RE: Does "big fish in a small pond" theory apply to game at all?
Big fish small pond has always worked and will continue to work.

Doesn't require you to move to a small town even. Just requires intense niching down. Situational alpha is real.

Actually might work better in a big city niche scene than a small town. Just thinking out loud: small town everyone knows everyone and everyone's parents. Judgements (and therefor, defenses) will be higher. But in a city, especially with a niche that young girls are into, you have the wave of the trend, and it brings in a bunch of essentially cultural nomads, and each wave will swap in new young sexy girls (eg. filmmaking, local musician, swimsuit photographer, etc).
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2019 12:47 AM by TooFineAPoint.)
06-24-2019 12:46 AM
azulsombra Offline
True Player

If you are early 20s you can get away with a lot more in the big city than the older guys, you wont be expected to have your own place and maybe not even a car. You still should have access to the college age scene even in larger cities and if you plan to climb the career ladder and think you want to stay in a large for the next 5-10 years its not a bad option. Big city game can be harsher than other areas but it will absolutely sharpen your skills unless you just give up completely.

Then when you are in your 30s or 40s you can head to some 200K city and absolutely be one of the local big fish, assuming you played your cards right.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"
06-24-2019 04:19 AM
Tail Gunner Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Bringing attention to yourself has its drawbacks in small cities. You need to know the local culture, as well as the predilections of the local criminal element.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 09:30 PM by Tail Gunner.)
06-25-2019 09:29 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tail Gunner's post:
TooFineAPoint

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Countries for Gaming in Small Towns? forgottenowl 4 1,162 01-15-2019 09:35 AM
Last Post: JimBobsCooters
  Small talk in foreign languages (Thai) melynthos 4 2,772 07-13-2016 03:09 PM
Last Post: ElFlaco
  Pick up or pond hockey scene in Europe and Russia scotian 4 3,941 11-19-2015 07:51 PM
Last Post: scotian