I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

To what extent are these American stereotypes true
Mage Offline
True Player

To what extent are these American stereotypes true
There are some weird things about USA I notice watching movies that seem strange or weird to me so I decided to make this thread to learn are they true or just Hollywood tropes:

1) American children have their own room but if they do not leave parent's house by age 18-20 then they get sent to basement? Why? Is it a demotion or promotion? Basement has more space but is not as ergonomic? What is their former room used for?

2)The prom is like another exam in high school, a social exam and you must find a date for it or you are branded a loser.

3)Sports is a huge deal in highschool/university, every guy with good physique tries to get in American football team and every hottie tries to get in cheerleader team and they are very vain and are given free good grades by teachers even if they study very badly and are bullies to those students who actually study despite knowing that their sports talents are not likely to translate into anything useful in adult life.

4) Americans walk with their shoes in bedroom and even sleep with shoes in bed during daytime.

5)Americans are proud of their front yards and spend a lot of time making sure the grass is cut and looks neat despite the fact that it is useless and most of life takes place in back yard where there is some privacy. One would think homes with big backyard/frontyard ratio would fetch a higher price and demand but this seems to not be the case. Why?

6) If an American hears some strange noise in his house he will pull out his baseball bat, not his gun to go check the house.

7)Americans believe that the true Bible was written in English by a guy called King James. Even trough they are suspicious of globalism and government trying to alter the Bible and are also proud to have made their freedom from English monarchy, they trust a Bible that was approved by ... an English King?
07-04-2019 02:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Mage's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Barron, ilostabet
The Catalyst Offline
Alpha Male

RE: To what extent are these American stereotypes true
I am going to speculate, this seems like a fun topic.

1) Don't know

2) In the US(depending on where you are, perhaps?), to not have any friends/ability to go on the prom you actually are a total loser. This is maybe not as true in other countries, where you may not be a total loser but still struggle to have the social skills. In the south, everyone is automatically included in the social circle if they want to be, so they have to be seriously anti-social or have serious gamma/serial killer vibes to have no friends.

3) My guess is bullying is a Hollywood trope for losers to vent and/or to make movies more interesting or to push an agenda. I just know rough/uncaring/cruel behavior is very standard in Kiwi schools but when described to Americans they just were horrified.

4) Often yes. Edit: for sleeping in bed- unknown, but for couches, likely yes.

5) Appearances matter(but not with bodies or fashion?)

6) Pretty sure they would get their gun if they carry.

7) Don't know.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2019 03:18 PM by The Catalyst.)
07-04-2019 03:10 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like The Catalyst's post:
Syberpunk, Rigsby
RexImperator Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

3) Has some truth though the “popular” sport is very regional. American football is king in the south, midwest, Texas etc. Where I grew up in New England more upper middle class kids may pushed to focus on soccer or lacrosse. Those kids will study and go to college. High School has lots of subcultures or “cliques”. There are the various sports teams, the musician kids (band), the artist kids (tends to attract gays, lots of piercings), the loner outcasts (trench coats, etc.).

If only you knew how bad things really are.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2019 03:28 PM by RexImperator.)
07-04-2019 03:28 PM
Helaman Offline
Male Feminist

1. ("American children have their own room") I grew up with three other children in a tiny room, sleeping on bunk-beds. But a lot of people have only 1 or 2 children and that makes it possible for them to have their own rooms. As annoying as it was to share, I think it was better. A lot of teens feel alienated because they are physically alone.

2. ("The prom is like another exam in high school,") True. A lot of nonsense TV drama is infused into high school life because we are taught that we should have this useless drama.

3. ("Sports is a huge deal in highschool/university") It's a popular trope in Hollywood to portray athletes and cheerleaders as mean bullies. But actually the opposite is usually true. They are the nicest and most accepting people, and that's why they are popular. Jerks aren't usually popular because they are jerks. Perhaps Hollywood writers are the jealous sulking drama type who fantasize about being victims of bullies. I didn't do athletics in high school because I was so busy with other things, but I got along with them well and hung out, and with the cheerleaders. At university these things weren't important.

4. ("Americans walk with their shoes in bedroom") Not from what I have seen.

5. ("Americans are proud of their front yards") Yes. This is an annoying thing about looking for a house. I would be happy with a house effacing directly on the street like in Europe, but for some reason most people seem to want huge front yards and small backyards. In cities this makes sense, because people out in the front can watch over the street and keep it safe for the community.

6. ("If an American hears some strange noise in his house he will pull out his baseball bat") Another dumb Hollywood trope. I have a large dog to investigate nighttime noises. I don't know anyone who would step into the dark with a golf club or bat to confront an intruder.

7. ("Americans believe that the true Bible was written in English by a guy called King James") No. Maybe I'm unique, but I was educated on where the bible came from and the process of translating it. KJV is quite reliable, and for a long time it was the universal version available. There are some small issues with it, but I think most people are aware of that. I don't see how it could have reinforced English monarchy's influence on America. It's not like King James inserted secret globalist messages or anything. It has helped keep America's language English, which I like. It's universal for everyone. The old style reminds us that these were ancient cultures with a different context than today. And it has until recently kept America Christian.
07-04-2019 03:33 PM
[-] The following 7 users Like Helaman's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Syberpunk, Solitaire, joecolombia, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, bacani, Nevsky
Mr. Wolf Offline
Recovering Beta

Great idea for a topic. To add:

1) When their offspring is young, most parents want to be able to hear what's going on in the child's bedroom for safety. By the time Johnny returns from college and is jobless, the parents really don't want to think about what's going on behind the closed bedroom door, and they certainly don't want to hear it. Usually the basement is dank and depressing, but the improved privacy outweighs the disadvantages. Most homes also have a basement door to the outdoors, so Johnny can come and go privately.

4) Yes, can confirm. My dad frequently tracked dog shit all over the wall-to-wall carpet, until mom would yell at him. Disgusting. But now many upper-middle-class whites, and all asians, remove their shoes at the door and wear "house slippers". It's much cleaner and more comfortable.

6) Handgun stays in the SpeedSafe mounted on the wall beside the bed, unless the dog is totally freaking out. For a run-of-the-mill bump in the night we grab the flashlight and bring the dog, no bat even. So far, it's always been nothing. Even in Cali., crime is very low in the white burbs.

7) No one really talks about the Bible. Most Americans are not religious, and do not attend church. There are exceptions of course, but most middle-class and higher folks are not overtly religious. There is a general healthy mistrust of government, except the women (who all seem to love that shit).
07-04-2019 03:35 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Mr. Wolf's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Rigsby
Lost in Transfiguration Offline
Banned

Art imitates reality but not always.

1. No they keepthe room unless they're forced out of the house, sometimes the kid gets the basement as they get older so they have more their own place, especially as they get older. Something like a third of american men older than 22 live with family or relatives.

2. Believe it or not social status these days is determined a lot more by social media than it is going to events. You also get lots of social status by what crowd you hang out with, rather than "going" to prom with a date. I knew plenty of people that didn't go, and no one was keeping score.

3. Sports. No, not everyone wants to do sports, especially not football. Football is a brutal sport and although it is valorized in the south, it is losing it's luster in large parts of the country. These days you're just as likely to be popular if you do basketball, soccer, or in rich east coast towns, lacrosse. Football is a ton of work during the summer as well, you're expected to practice with the team in the heat 2x a day for over a month. Some girls want to be cheerleaders, other say "screw it" because it also is a lot of work, and requires tremendous athleticism. Dumb sports stars frequently get passed because of pressure from the school and the large coaching staff. In college sports can be a big deal if you play competitively, but the social scene becomes even more important: fraternities.

4. Yeah depends on whose house it is. There's not really a stigma to having shoes on in the house like in Germany, Japan, Middle East, Russia etc.

5. External appearances especially in suburbia are important. A lot of times people have some flowers in the front or other things to make it look pretty. Yeah all the activity happens in the backyard, we just have space, therefore we also have front yards. Any sort of party of course is held in the backyard.

6. Your typical neighborhood is pretty safe. White neighborhood at least. So this is an uncommon scenario to begin with. If suspecting danger, often times a baseball bat, shotgun, or handgun. Just depends if the person has a gun or not. Most americans don't have guns.

7. the King james bible thing depends on what christian denomination you're from. A lot of old school people prefer king james. But in most churches these days the New International Version and New Revised Standard Version have replaced the King james. There is even a New King James translation.
07-04-2019 03:40 PM
[-] The following 7 users Like Lost in Transfiguration's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Captainstabbin, Emperor Constantine, Syberpunk, bacani, Nevsky, VNvet
Wutang Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(07-04-2019 03:33 PM)Helaman Wrote:  3. ("Sports is a huge deal in highschool/university") It's a popular trope in Hollywood to portray athletes and cheerleaders as mean bullies. But actually the opposite is usually true. They are the nicest and most accepting people, and that's why they are popular. Jerks aren't usually popular because they are jerks. Perhaps Hollywood writers are the jealous sulking drama type who fantasize about being victims of bullies. I didn't do athletics in high school because I was so busy with other things, but I got along with them well and hung out, and with the cheerleaders. At university these things weren't important.

Pretty much. I've found that popular kids tend to either be pretty nice or the very least they aren't going to go out their way to punk you if you are an outcast. An outcast just wouldn't even by on the radar of the popular kids. The biggest bullies were typically the kids who were towards the bottom of the social hierarchy but not at the very bottom. The bottom kids would be their targets.
07-04-2019 04:34 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Wutang's post:
TooFineAPoint, Rigsby, HermeticAlly
Rigsby Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

(07-04-2019 02:43 PM)Mage Wrote:  There are some weird things about USA I notice watching movies that seem strange or weird to me so I decided to make this thread to learn are they true or just Hollywood tropes:

1) American children have their own room but if they do not leave parent's house by age 18-20 then they get sent to basement? Why? Is it a demotion or promotion? Basement has more space but is not as ergonomic? What is their former room used for?

2)The prom is like another exam in high school, a social exam and you must find a date for it or you are branded a loser.

3)Sports is a huge deal in highschool/university, every guy with good physique tries to get in American football team and every hottie tries to get in cheerleader team and they are very vain and are given free good grades by teachers even if they study very badly and are bullies to those students who actually study despite knowing that their sports talents are not likely to translate into anything useful in adult life.

4) Americans walk with their shoes in bedroom and even sleep with shoes in bed during daytime.

5)Americans are proud of their front yards and spend a lot of time making sure the grass is cut and looks neat despite the fact that it is useless and most of life takes place in back yard where there is some privacy. One would think homes with big backyard/frontyard ratio would fetch a higher price and demand but this seems to not be the case. Why?

6) If an American hears some strange noise in his house he will pull out his baseball bat, not his gun to go check the house.

7)Americans believe that the true Bible was written in English by a guy called King James. Even trough they are suspicious of globalism and government trying to alter the Bible and are also proud to have made their freedom from English monarchy, they trust a Bible that was approved by ... an English King?

Funny you should start this thread. I've found the media reallly pushing dumb 'mercan stereotypes lately over the last few days. I even had to have 2 minutes hate for them myself they were so reprehensible. My bad.

Perhaps it's not just me noticing it?

Keep in mind that the average brit of middle class loathes 'mercans, for the most part. The lower classes don't really consider them at all. And of course they are quite loathed in a lot of other countries as well. You can see why, even if it is a very unsophisticated viewpoint. I don't agree with it of course. The upper classes tend to take Americans on their merit, but being more open minded and experienced in global matters, they may still find them 'quaint' or slightly over-bearing/sharing, whilst still having respect for them as a people.

I'm not even on the class scale myself being 'underclass', but my early years inform the opinion that I have of them today. That and this great forum where we get to interact with some of the best quality Americans on the planet! (does that make sense?) -

Growing up playing softball and basketball and going to a top-notch American private school, having one or two American friends. Brits and 'mercans didn't really mix where we were. I'd like to call it a friendly rivalry, but it wasn't. It bordered on hostility.

Funny how the different nations of the world align themselves with either brit or 'mercan. Either because they have to, or sometimes just cause they want to...

This is a good idea and theme for a post Mage, but do I detect ever such a slight teency weency hint of passive-aggresiveness here? Let's see:

Uh? I'm sure if I went out and did a vox populi as to what the stereotypes of 'mercans were, this wouldn't register on the scale.

I think what you were trying to say is: All 'mercans are basement dwellers! Amirite?

Don't worry, one day you'll get over it.

j/k

I think you aren't looking deep enough as to where this social dynamic came from. You are almost perpetrating a stereotype yourself in doing this. You could sum it up in one sentence like that, but you would not be doing the wider underlying belief system that brought this particular scenario about any justice. Others on this very forum have explained this dynamic very well.

No, really, you will get over it! Eventually...

j/k/a

Yeah sport is a big deal. Jocks and chads are a thing. Freud said "Anatomy is destiny". I wouldn't disagree with that, not being a 4 foot midget (no offense to my little vertically challenged brothers), and not being a 6'4" Chad Thundercock or 6'9" Tyrone Globetrotter, myself!

Basketball was a big thing in my 'mercan school. I loved it, but I was crap at it. Didn't stop me from shooting hoops every hour of every lunch break I had. Didn't stop me in being in awe of the true Chads and Tyrones who had that anatomy to meet that destiny. It was a sight to behold. I was totally starstruck by them. Keep in mind I was captain of my football team, so no slouch in the athletics department myself. But just in the same way as 'white men can't jump', 'mercans can't play football (soccer) and brits certainly will never be good enough to get on a tournament basketball team, no matter how keen or athletic.

Talking of tournaments. I (actually my family) sponsored a really tall 6'3" lad (he was only 15) to come over from a near by state and we put him up and drove him to the basketball tournament. It was a week long event. I loved it. One of the very few brits that went to every game. The guy wasn't a 'mercan though. He was a Canadian. I think I need to stop saying "'mercan" now. Sorry.

Even if I was good enough, there is no way in hell Mr. Wagner was letting a god dammed brit limey sumbitch on HIS basketball team. I will always remember Mr. Wagner. Our sports teacher.

He didn't like it when, after singling me out for my height (I was always a tall lad), I managed to shoot a few hoops and get them in the ring. So much so that I actually was the only brit boy that got on the American team (in sports hour that is). He didn't know I spent my lunches practicing. This pissed him off. So much so...

... and this is why I will always remember Mr. Wagner:

He humiliated me once in front of a whole class of brits and yanks - oooh, about a 100 kids! Just because I could not swim properly. I had a bad experience of the water when I was in another school and feared I would drown (they literally threw me in the deep end), so I shirked and avoided as much as I could. But Mr. Wagner caught me.

With a glint in his eye, he placed me on a bench (on dry land) and made me do the breast stroke (10 times) and then the butterfly (10 times) in front of everyone. I may still get over it one day - I haven't yet. I have tears in my eyes as I am typing this.

I would have rather he spanked me and made me say: 4 breast strokes Mr. Wagner, thank you sir, please may I have another Mr. Wagner - you know, like they do in English Public schools (that are really private).

I need to stop talking about this now or I might get triggered. Suffice it to say the American **** still threw me in the deep end. What a bastard! He really hated me.

Having said that, I stopped shooting hoops for a week and put my little boy trunks on and made use of the public pool instead, as I knew he'd try to pull the same shit next week.

I hope one day to get over it.

It's ok.

You're not alone.

Did you ever go to an American school Mage?

Was Mr. Wagner ever your teacher?

Talking of Jocks. The Stoker brothers were the ultimate Chad Thundercocks of the school. The big brother turned up in a Pontiac Trans Am with a turbo. They were a clan. Those that weren't their friends at least pretended to like them. They weren't the bully type though, they didn't need to be.

Being younger than them I was more in awe than fear or envy. Their youngest brother had his motorbike stolen, and I knew who did it, so I grassed the little bastard up. Yeah, I'm a grass. I rode bikes on the desert and if anyone had stolen my bike I would have wanted the same. I had no allegiance to the little prick thief, so I dobbed him in. And I'm still proud of it. So there.

The young Chad Stoker got his bike back. He loved that bike!

He came up to me at beer keg party we were having out in the desert and just said 'thanks man - I really appreciate you getting me my bike back'. We didn't really talk much after that (age difference and all that). He was the epitome of effortless cool. I was glad I'd got his bike back.

I learned from a very early age that not all jocks or chads are shit heads. This wasn't in America so maybe a different dynamic was at play. But some people really are just cool. Then again, it might have been different if we were rivals. Still...

His brother stopped once when I was hitch-hiking on a long highway in 35C heat. I got to sit in the back of that tiny little Trans-Am Pontiac Turbo while he ripped it down the road. It was worth it for that little bonus alone. It was good to be part of the team.

I guess they'd forgotten about Mr. Wagner humiliating me on dry land next to the school pool!

Now you're taking the piss! I've never heard of this.

Don't let Kona hear you talking about this. Probably the least example of an American Stereotype as you can get. And just a quick heads up: he loves his lawn! He won't even let his 'boy' mow it when he comes over to re-stock the fridge with all that Busch beer he stole from Walmart or wtf it is those yanks shop at.

He won't even let his 'boy' look at it. "Stop looking at my lawn 'boy' and go fetch me another cold one from the portable fridge on my mower" he tells him literally every time he comes over. "And don't even think about having a shot on the mower".

Kona loves his lawn so much, he cloned it and had it implanted on his superyacht. He's even got a copy of the exact same mower (he's a man that knows what he likes) and the exact same copy of the exact same fridge on the back.

Some of his people from ages back used to conquer nearby islands with nothing but sticks and axes and their bare fists. But Kona just gets his mower trundled off the back of his yacht and runs over the fuckers.

Kona does not have many neigbours. Left.

Kona is a good American. I urge you to proceed with caution on this subject should you wish to take it further.

He's one of God's own very prototypes never intended for mass production.

And his 'backyard' and lawn are absolutely fabulous!

Depends on the state.

I hear that in Hawaii there are some absolute madmen that just keep a small portable mower in the house and chop them in to little ittsy wittle bits. But better that then stepping on a man's lawn unanounced. That gets you the BBQ (nothing to do with LGBTQBBQ) treatment. There are no gay men in Hawaii, only men that love their lawn.

Aloha.

Come again?

Wait a minute. BRB.

Oh, sorry it turns out you were right. I just went out and did a quick vox populi of the masses and this is also the conclusion I come to re: stereotypes.

I asked one girl with hoop earrings and dyed blond hair and she responded in an alsmost unfathomable cockney accent:

Americunts?

Cor blimey, don't get me started mate, let's 'ave it. Doncha they owl believe that the true Bible was written in English by a guy called King James. Even trough they are suspicious of globalism and government trying to alter the Bible and are also proud to have made their freedom from English monarchy, they trust a Bible that was approved by ... an English King?

Uncanny. All those years I'd never heard of that. Every day is a school day.

I thought I might be mistaken and that this might be some kind of anomaly, but no, I stopped a women who had recently arrived from Bangladesh (I am in the east end of London at the moment so there wasn't anyone about who had not recently just arrived from Bangladesh) - she said, in a thick Bangladeshi accent (while wobbling her head):

Oh, soo doze Americunts eh? Goodness gracious me, Dohn' dey arle believe that the true Bible was written in English by a guy called King James. Even trough they are suspicious of globalism and government trying to alter the Bible and are also proud to have made their freedom from English monarchy, they trust a Bible that was approved by ... an English King?

All these years.

Mage, come clean. You slipped that last one in just at the end as a little troll coz you've got a bit of an axe left to grind about something.

Cooooome on... you can tell uncle rigsby, where on your little bits did the American Fundamentalist touch you?

I've told you about Mr. Wagner and my very public humiliation. Now you show me yours...

---

Seriously though Mage. Americans are good people, they might be a bit simple or a bit this or a bit that, but they are among the most persona diverse people on the planet. You never really know what you're getting with an American until you get to sit down with him and crack a few beers in the small hours and get to 'chew the fat'. There isn't another nation on earth where the people are more varied and can surprise you so much. The UK might be in the running for the competition.

Anyway, well played good sir! You got me to reveal the root of my deeply held psychosis. Mr. Wagner is probably dead now. Maybe it's time to let it go, eh?
07-04-2019 06:44 PM
Rigsby Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

(07-04-2019 04:34 PM)Wutang Wrote:  
(07-04-2019 03:33 PM)Helaman Wrote:  3. ("Sports is a huge deal in highschool/university") It's a popular trope in Hollywood to portray athletes and cheerleaders as mean bullies. But actually the opposite is usually true. They are the nicest and most accepting people, and that's why they are popular. Jerks aren't usually popular because they are jerks. Perhaps Hollywood writers are the jealous sulking drama type who fantasize about being victims of bullies. I didn't do athletics in high school because I was so busy with other things, but I got along with them well and hung out, and with the cheerleaders. At university these things weren't important.

Pretty much. I've found that popular kids tend to either be pretty nice or the very least they aren't going to go out their way to punk you if you are an outcast. An outcast just wouldn't even by on the radar of the popular kids. The biggest bullies were typically the kids who were towards the bottom of the social hierarchy but not at the very bottom. The bottom kids would be their targets.

Spot on.

See my previous long post about the Chad Stoker Jocks.

I guess I was an outcast, as well as being younger than them.

They had no time for petty spite in that wonderful world they inhabited.

It's the people on the next rung of the ladder you have to worry about more than those at the top of the tree.

And I still believe that even at my late stage of life and learning.
07-04-2019 06:51 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rigsby's post:
Psygnosis89
PharaohRa Offline
Chubby Chaser

(07-04-2019 02:43 PM)Mage Wrote:  There are some weird things about USA I notice watching movies that seem strange or weird to me so I decided to make this thread to learn are they true or just Hollywood tropes:

I will make an attempt to address these stereotypes:

1) I would put this at 50/50. More often than not, females will keep their room whereas males will get the basement. Probably sexism in play here.
2) Nowadays, groups of boys and girls go to prom just to dance and have fun. This stereotype may have been true in the 50s to the 90s.
3) This is true to some extent but the biggest bullies are usually the loser ghetto/poverty class type or the insecure gammas.
4) For Eastern European and Asian types, not true. For Western European types, only true to walk around with shoes. They sleep with shoes off.
5) This is true only because perception = reality. Nice front yard means you care about the value of the property.
6) In gun-friendly areas, they will probably pull out the gun. In gun-hostile areas, call the cops (especially if they are loaded).
7) I do not know if this is true, even amongst the Heritage Americans (WASPs).
07-04-2019 06:59 PM
standard Offline
Male Feminist

haha mostly true except 4 6 and 7
07-04-2019 07:16 PM
crystalcastle Online
Game Denialist

(07-04-2019 02:43 PM)Mage Wrote:  1) American children have their own room but if they do not leave parent's house by age 18-20 then they get sent to basement? Why? Is it a demotion or promotion? Basement has more space but is not as ergonomic? What is their former room used for?

Not true about the basement, but increasingly more young adults stay living with their parents for financial reasons.

Quote:2)The prom is like another exam in high school, a social exam and you must find a date for it or you are branded a loser.

True, I think. It's been awhile since I left high school. There are lots of films on this topic, especially from the 80's.

Quote:3)Sports is a huge deal in highschool/university, every guy with good physique tries to get in American football team and every hottie tries to get in cheerleader team and they are very vain and are given free good grades by teachers even if they study very badly and are bullies to those students who actually study despite knowing that their sports talents are not likely to translate into anything useful in adult life.

Somewhat true, but there aren't the athletes you described at every school. At least not the good ones who make it professionally.

Quote:4) Americans walk with their shoes in bedroom and even sleep with shoes in bed during daytime.

Sometimes yeah, and it's weird. I don't think I've ever met an American who slept with their shoes on in bed during the day. Or any nationality who did for that matter.

Quote:5)Americans are proud of their front yards and spend a lot of time making sure the grass is cut and looks neat despite the fact that it is useless and most of life takes place in back yard where there is some privacy. One would think homes with big backyard/frontyard ratio would fetch a higher price and demand but this seems to not be the case. Why?

True. I think it's a cultural thing. Those people are in for a shock if/when there are wars for water as a resource.

Quote:6) If an American hears some strange noise in his house he will pull out his baseball bat, not his gun to go check the house.

Depends what the noise is I guess.

Quote:7)Americans believe that the true Bible was written in English by a guy called King James. Even trough they are suspicious of globalism and government trying to alter the Bible and are also proud to have made their freedom from English monarchy, they trust a Bible that was approved by ... an English King?

Probably. Depends where in America you're talking about. Most Americans don't own a passport, confuse the EU with Europe and Austria with Australia. Just to give you an idea of the nationality you're inquiring about.
07-05-2019 06:32 AM
Captainstabbin Offline
International Playboy

1. If a kid is going to move to the basement, it's usually done in high school for more privacy.

2. I've never heard of the Prom being a social exam. In fact, it's the last time you'll see most of the people in attendance so it's hard for any branding to stick. It's more of a last party with friends you may have known since 1st grade.

3. Guys are less interested in football, even in the South. The injuries and recent concussion news have made parents nervous and the player protests have soured people's attitude. It's really only in college that they get preferential treatment by teachers. Being a cheerleader used to be the ultimate social proof for a hot chick but that was back when cheerleading was just bouncing around and maybe one girl could do a flip. Today, cheerleading is an intense workout of advanced gymnastic skills and most hot girls would rather not bother. Plus the team size is 2-3X what it was so it carries much less social clout.

4. Most people have walked into their bedrooms with shoes on. Unless they fall asleep watching TV, I doubt many people sleep in shoes.

5. Most areas have building codes that limit how close to the street you can build. That creates a larger front yard than might be practical. Aside from that, backyards are maximized for the reasons you suggest.

6. A bat is usually closer and the treat level in most areas is very low. If you heard a noise, then heard men walking in your house, you'd grab a gun.

7. Rejecting the rule of the monarchy doesn't mean you have to reject all things developed in England. It was the best available translation for a very long time, and that's what most old-school people would say - it's the best translation, not that it's somehow inspired on the same level as the original writing. There are some people who claim it was an inspired translation but these people are a small minority.
07-05-2019 11:12 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Captainstabbin's post:
Emperor Constantine
Foolsgo1d Offline
Innovative Casanova

All Americans are fat. You heard it here first. FatterFatbananaAmerican
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2019 01:29 PM by Foolsgo1d.)
07-05-2019 01:29 PM
911 Offline
International Playboy

(07-05-2019 01:29 PM)Foolsgo1d Wrote:  All Americans are fat. You heard it here first. FatterFatbananaAmerican

You're only half right.

Here are some features that are unique to American culture:

-Suburban upbringing. This makes people more sociopathic, and more exposed to cable TV. No other people is more shaped by the mass media than Americans, through which they tend to derive their world views. That makes them easier to manipulate than older cultures that aren't shaped by movies and TV shows.

-Deliberate educational dumbing down. Foundations have conspired to constantly lower educational standards and prime each generation to ever dumber dogmas. Charlotte Yserbit, a whistle from a Skull and Bones family has carefully documented this process as an insider who was involved in the American educational bureaucracy. Common core is the

Some of that process is now being implemented in Europe as well, in France for example Holocaustianity is now infecting the school curricula, and latin and ancient greek are no longer being taught in middle school.

Guys on this forum who are constantly talking about IQs in racial and eugenicist terms are really missing the big picture here, it's mostly about the culture, the vacuous mass media and the educational process.

-This dumbing down extends to broader cultural values that the Boomers have completely absorbed, the notion of American exceptionalism, of "free trade", "open borders", civnat, and the corruption of Christianity through Darbyism/Scofield zionism on the right and globohomo liberation theology for northern WASPs and Catholics.

λ ό γ ο ς
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2019 02:38 PM by 911.)
07-05-2019 02:37 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like 911's post:
Captainstabbin, Stealth, Syberpunk
Foolsgo1d Offline
Innovative Casanova

My post was tongue in cheek 911 but most people in the world dont care enough for the most things you mention or dont know any better. Sticking a camera in their face and asking them general questions doesn't mean anything by a long stretch.

Americans are too easily misled and thats my only gripe with them.
07-05-2019 03:37 PM
Regent Offline
Male Feminist

^ Other nationalities don't fare much better. Most people are easily misled. Its a bug in mankind.
07-05-2019 05:15 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Regent's post:
bucky
Banned

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's not entirely Americans fault for the situation we've been handed.

For one, we deal with bad food which is the result of some of the strongest agricultural conglomerates in the world. Quite simply we were the guinea pigs for industrial level food production. So yeah we are fat.

Two, in terms of media we again are disadvantaged. Our public broadcasters are nothing of the caliber of the BBC in all honestly. Media and entertainment complexes are aligned out of convenience, so media IS entertainment. We have like 6 companies responsible for the vast mast majority of output. And, one is owned by a foreigner (Rupert Murdoch and company). You seldom find these outlets being self-critical-- they will not because media interests mesh with foreign policy interests, or more accurately with neoliberalism.

Three, the US is very anti-intellectual. Whether it is lack of our foreign language knowledge, the poor education system (anyone with the means to do so, educates their kids privately), or the fact that most americans aren't even literate in a meaningful sense.
07-05-2019 05:22 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lost in Transfiguration's post:
Stealth
CynicalContrarian Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Can't readily speculate about the other questions.
Yet for this one :

Quote:2)The prom is like another exam in high school, a social exam and you must find a date for it or you are branded a loser.

I also found it odd that such a great emphasis was placed on one day in American TV & film.
Thus potentially giving me a warped perception of the whole 'Prom' thing while growing up, outside of America.

Now, I suspect that most American TV & film writers who do make a fuss about the Prom, even well into adulthood. Are folk who were social dunces in high-school. Continue to be of a somewhat juvenile mindset; & as such, never got over the whole thing & perpetuate their ingrained misery onto their works.

The proverbial Soy-Boy types or the 'fat losers'...
They've never been able to mentally get beyond high-school. Despite being so called adults...
07-05-2019 07:19 PM
TigerMandingo Online
International Playboy
Gold Member

(07-05-2019 07:19 PM)CynicalContrarian Wrote:  Now, I suspect that most American TV & film writers who do make a fuss about the Prom, even well into adulthood. Are folk who were social dunces in high-school. Continue to be of a somewhat juvenile mindset; & as such, never got over the whole thing & perpetuate their ingrained misery onto their works.

PM me so I can send you one of these:

[Image: so2uqh.jpg]
07-05-2019 07:33 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TigerMandingo's post:
kruger41
CynicalContrarian Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(07-05-2019 07:33 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote:  PM me so I can send you one of these:

Oh cool. Yet I am not paying the freight expenses. That's on you. Cool
07-05-2019 07:51 PM
Banned

(07-05-2019 07:19 PM)CynicalContrarian Wrote:  Can't readily speculate about the other questions.
Yet for this one :

I also found it odd that such a great emphasis was placed on one day in American TV & film.
Thus potentially giving me a warped perception of the whole 'Prom' thing while growing up, outside of America.

Now, I suspect that most American TV & film writers who do make a fuss about the Prom, even well into adulthood. Are folk who were social dunces in high-school. Continue to be of a somewhat juvenile mindset; & as such, never got over the whole thing & perpetuate their ingrained misery onto their works.

The proverbial Soy-Boy types or the 'fat losers'...
They've never been able to mentally get beyond high-school. Despite being so called adults...

Yeah if you over think it you've already lost, and you were likely never in the "in-crowd" throughout the duration of high school. These same losers that are overly obsessed about prom end up being overly obsessed about class reunions 10 years down the road, which is even more of a joke. I have no plans to reconnect with even a single mate form high school. I'm done with that place and they're all losers as far as I'm concerned, and a lot of them are plenty fat as well.
07-05-2019 09:48 PM
Emperor Constantine Offline
Game Denialist

(07-04-2019 02:43 PM)Mage Wrote:  2)The prom is like another exam in high school, a social exam and you must find a date for it or you are branded a loser.

This really depends on the school. But in general it's a great time for the extraverted kids and a bad time for social lepers. But if you're the sort of guy who can't get a date for prom, you're going to go through some rough patches whether or not prom exists.

(07-04-2019 02:43 PM)Mage Wrote:  4) Americans walk with their shoes in bedroom and even sleep with shoes in bed during daytime.

It varies from state to state. I live in a rainforest these days so people take off their shoes in the mud room before entering the main part of the house. But in other places people walk indoor in shoes. Animals.

(07-04-2019 02:43 PM)Mage Wrote:  6) If an American hears some strange noise in his house he will pull out his baseball bat, not his gun to go check the house.

Yeah, you really don't want to shoot someone. Even in self defense you'll spend a ton on court fees and might go to prison anyway. I own a gun but keep my baseball bat by my bed.

(07-04-2019 02:43 PM)Mage Wrote:  7)Americans believe that the true Bible was written in English by a guy called King James. Even trough they are suspicious of globalism and government trying to alter the Bible and are also proud to have made their freedom from English monarchy, they trust a Bible that was approved by ... an English King?

In the Bible Belt it's not unheard of. This level of fundamentalist isn't the norm, but they do exist. If you hear someone pronounce Baptist as "Babtist" chances are high they will mention the superiority of the KJV and reference a Chick tract in the first five minutes of the conversation.
07-05-2019 10:07 PM
Wutang Offline
True Player
Gold Member

As for the last question related to the KJV, I have a feeling a lot of American Christians wouldn't even know what it was. I was actually standing in line (at Chik Fil A funny enough) and there was this mom with her kids and some of the kids friends. They were all church goers but they seem to not know much about the faith. They were talking about Christianity and Catholicism like they were different religions and one girl actually was going "Wait, am we Catholic?" I've actually this same scenario play out back when I was in high school where a guy who was in the same class I was knew he was a Christian of some sort but wasn't sure if he was Catholic or not.

Watch King of the Hill if you want to get an idea of what religious life in America is like. There's an episode where Hank gets angry at his son Bobby for splurging a ton of money on some item and says "The family Bible doesn't even cost that much and it was written by Jesus!" I have a feeling a lot of the audience watching that episode didn't even get that there was a joke in there.
07-05-2019 11:08 PM
Foolsgo1d Offline
Innovative Casanova

The UK adopted Prom night from the US. Laugh When it started I dont know but it keeps the kids happy.
07-06-2019 04:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  UK Bans Harmful Gender Stereotypes in Ads Salinger 14 1,449 06-23-2019 03:46 AM
Last Post: sterlingarcher
  Arnold Schwarzenegger - A true legend! Teedub 121 49,166 05-19-2019 12:32 PM
Last Post: SeaFM
  PSA: Dont sleep on True Detective w00t 254 115,330 01-11-2019 01:21 PM
Last Post: SeaFM