I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Biking to work but still want to lift!
Richard Turpin Offline
Wingman

Biking to work but still want to lift!
I've been bicycling to work and back for some time now (10 miles of hills each way). It's been great for;

My Fitness
My Weight-loss
My Bank balance

It hasn't been great for my lifting routine however! I'm tired more often (for intensive lifting) and I'm not lifting as much or as heavy as I used to and am just treading water, workout-wise. I do look better for the weight-loss though.

Because of the above benefits (which have been irrefutable) I'm not going to quit cycling (as commuting) anytime soon. This is me from now on. But neither will I be giving up lifting weights.

Something has to change somehow, so I'm in two minds whether to;

a) Drop the volume right down and concentrate on the big 3 or 4 compounds for low reps/heavy weight. More bang for my buck?

or,

b) Use lighter weights and increase the volume? Less cns stress? Keeps the hypertrophy?

Goals? The beach-bod look. More Spider-Man than The Hulk.

I can usually get to the Gym (my garage!) for an hour, 3 or 4 times a week.

Your thoughts and tips are welcome.

‘After you’ve got two eye-witness accounts, following an automobile accident, you begin
To worry about history’ – Tim Allen
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2019 07:43 AM by Richard Turpin.)
07-05-2019 07:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
BasketBounce Offline
Chubby Chaser

RE: Biking to work but still want to lift!
Interesting.

For beach bod look, you gotta eat veggies.

As for weight training, stick to the compound lifts. Squat, Deadlift, Rows, Shoulder Press. Throw in accessory lifts as you want.

The trick is to go slow on your reps. Lower weight, higher reps. 10-15 reps but go slow on the eccentric contractions of your lifts.

For example for deadlift, you want to slowly lower the bar to the ground. With squats, you want to slowly sit back. Slow and in control.

That way you feel the burn and you reduce your risk of injury. Especially since you’re biking everyday to work, no need to put added stress on your knees by trying to lift 400 lbs.

Alternatively, you lift heavy, but you take longer rest periods (7-9 days rest)

Good luck, I admire that you bike to work. No way I could do that where I am living now.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2019 10:47 AM by BasketBounce.)
07-05-2019 10:42 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes BasketBounce's post:
Richard Turpin
whitewashedblackguy Offline
Recovering Beta

It depends on your diet for sure. If you want that lean, functional look, go keto. It keeps you super lean (or as lean as you can go) and muscular with pretty much zero effort. As for veggies... I've been carnivore for a while, just cuz I don't like veggies, and it makes my life way simpler. I don't know shit about weights, I'm into calisthenics
07-05-2019 12:12 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like whitewashedblackguy's post:
Richard Turpin, JiggyLordJr
Repo Offline
International Playboy

Could pace youself easier on cycling on lifting days, but focus on intensity on non lifting days.

Also, do legs and compound movements only on non cycling days so you dont overtax youself. Only upper body and abs throughout the week, and give youself a couple hours to recover from cycling before lifting.
07-05-2019 12:19 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Repo's post:
Richard Turpin
flanders Offline
Recovering Beta

Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to just be captain upper body since cycling that much probably hits legs enough?
07-05-2019 05:21 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like flanders's post:
king bast, Richard Turpin
Alpone Offline
Recovering Beta

I also bike to work a few miles each way. I've cut my time in the gym and mostly do compound lifts and some bicep/tricep isolation exercises. I'm also cutting carbs and concentrating on meat/protein.

And unless you're going uphill on a fixie, cycling doesn't build leg muscles that much. Squats/leg press should still be a part of your routine.
07-05-2019 06:00 PM
tom Offline
Game Denialist

One option could be an electric assisted bike. It would take the edge off the difficulty of the commute. You might be fine to go back to the normal bike, after a few months building your base on the electric bike
07-05-2019 07:44 PM
Emperor Constantine Offline
Game Denialist

How long have you been biking to work?

If it's been three months and you haven't adapted to the workload, you may have to change your lifting routine. But if it's been three weeks, there's no reason to rework your whole routine for something you'll very quickly adjust to.
07-05-2019 09:15 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Emperor Constantine's post:
Richard Turpin
Meliorare93 Offline
Recovering Beta

I'm no expert so don't trust my advise and verify what I say. But as far as I know biking (or cardio) tends to have catabolic tendencies... Lifting weights tends to be anabolic. You're trying to do two things at one (maintaining anabolism while doing a catabolic activity). This is hard.

Personally I would use kettlebell for weightlifting as long as you are biking a lot and don't focus on growing muscle just on maintaining it... Kettle-bells also train your cardiovascular system which will be good for improving your biking.

I've read someone suggesting to go keto... I would not reduce the carbs too much... Go low carb, sure, but keto? No you'll be even more drained after your exercise/biking sessions. You could eat keto on resistance training days... But on biking days I would go just low carb and eat some more complex carbohydrates, reduce the fat and maintain the protein.

But to answer your question I would go for option B. PS: Personally I think one hour of resistance training is way too long... Train shorter but more efficient! Half an hour to 45 minutes is what I prefer personally.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2019 12:48 AM by Meliorare93.)
07-06-2019 12:47 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Meliorare93's post:
Richard Turpin, bucky
Richard Turpin Offline
Wingman

Some good advice on here, thanks. I hit the gym at the weekend and felt a noticeable drop-off in strength. But if I can just get past my ego and accept that I'm not going to be hitting PR's I reckon I can make this work. It's just a shit feeling when you watch your numbers slide in your training diary. But I am looking more cut, vascular and defined (2 hours of cycling each day burns a shitload of calories!)

I've only been cycling for a couple of months so yes, I may just get more used to it. Maybe my lifts will start going back up again. It's not like my commute mileage will increase, it's set in stone.

‘After you’ve got two eye-witness accounts, following an automobile accident, you begin
07-08-2019 02:50 AM
gework Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

I was doing something called cardio dumbells, things like this:

By far the most effective and tiring workout I've tried; and the only time I've been genuinely shredded and in the involuntary female head-turning category.

However, I got injured from this and have still not recovered. Won't be going back to it. I've decided to go for low impact things. Anything where the joints are pounded are off the table. It's too obvious that these cause issues, if not now, in later life.

I do cycling and when I am going up hill, I grab the handle bars and use my arms to rip the bike from side-to-side, to power up. It's not enough to buff your arms, but it certainly helps.
07-08-2019 07:27 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gework's post:
Richard Turpin
Irn Bru Protein Offline
Game Denialist

Jesus Christ, just keep cycling to work and trucking on with your workout plan.

You’re not going to lose any gains.

John McCallum used to have guys doing 20 rep squats while running a few miles

Did anyone complain then? No because there was no internet to fuck with peoples minds.

They just trained and let nature take its course.

Your bike run is going to increase your aerobic base which is the epicentre of gains.

A big engine means you can do be more dominant on the road.
07-08-2019 07:51 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Irn Bru Protein's post:
Richard Turpin
Richard Turpin Offline
Wingman

(07-08-2019 07:27 AM)gework Wrote:  However, I got injured from this and have still not recovered. Won't be going back to it. I've decided to go for low impact things. Anything where the joints are pounded are off the table. It's too obvious that these cause issues, if not now, in later life.

Yeah, I'm suddenly at that age where I'm no longer bullet-proof. Hence the cycling, rather than running (which I still love and used to do a lot, but the load-bearing nature fucks me up).

I've also been lifting too heavy with too poor form (chasing records) for too long. I'm resolved now to go back to my roots and lift stricter, less time between sets, more set volume. I can always throw in a few low rep (big 4) lifts every few weeks as well.

07-08-2019 07:58 AM
Zagor Offline
Game Denialist

Your losing strength because you're in a caloric deficit, not because you're biking to work. Up the calories and you'll see that you can do both. Or If you want to lose weigth don't, but then don't complain about stalling in the gym because that is expected when cutting.
07-09-2019 02:22 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zagor's post:
RedPillUK

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow "Why Do You Lift?" - Getting Clear On Your Why runsonmagic 111 44,657 08-06-2019 01:42 PM
Last Post: Marshall D. Teach
  Lumo lift posture coach: experiences? Prof. Ligate 2 9,862 12-08-2016 04:51 AM
Last Post: Prof. Ligate
  Losing motivation to lift while dieting RexImperator 12 5,225 11-07-2016 10:42 AM
Last Post: RichieP