I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

$1200/Mo to live in a bed in a dorm in SF
JiggyLordJr Offline
Game Denialist

$1200/Mo to live in a bed in a dorm in SF
Yep you heard it right. Just a bed. No walls. No private space. And 12 beds per room. And to think SF couldn't get any worse...

https://sf.curbed.com/2019/6/5/18653890/...ds-startup

Quote:In the Tenderloin, that’ll be $60 per night, or $1,200 per month. That’s what the Southern California-based startup Podshare charges for one of its “pods” at the company’s first San Francisco locale.

Renting with Podshare buys access to the bed and the communal spaces in the building in what’s essentially a hostel-like setup—complete with a dearth of privacy thanks to the wide open, multi-pod layout of rooms Podshare offers.

The dystopian implications of renting what’s little more than an enclosed bed for $1,200 per month are hard to miss. According to the U.S. Census, the median rent in the country for all types of units was just over $1,000 in 2017.

[Image: pod3.0.jpg]

Quote:Unsurprisingly, Podshare’s marketing materials try to put a brave face on the setup, branding it as part of a Millennial lifestyle:

"The future is 'access not ownership' so we are establishing 'access points.' [...] Millennials don’t own a gym at home, they buy a membership. We don’t subscribe to cable television, we watch Netflix. We don’t buy CDs, we stream music. American car sales are on the decline because we Lyft or Uber. We can rent a bicycle, get a degree online, have our meals delivered to us, and document our entire lives on social media."

[Image: pod4.jpg]

Quote:Beck [co-founder] defends the company saying, “I never understood the dystopian comments about our floor layout. We are simply one choice amongst of sea of many choices. This is how we choose to live.”

Jeez, I knew living in SF was hard, but it crazy to think that it's gotten to the point where people are paying out the ass to live in a glorified hostel. What are your guys thoughts on this?
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2019 12:36 PM by JiggyLordJr.)
07-09-2019 12:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like JiggyLordJr's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me, BBinger, Cyclone, Handsome Creepy Eel
RoastBeefCurtains4Me Offline
True Player

RE: $1200/Mo to live in a bed in a dorm in SF
A lot of people who don't have money for security deposit for an apartment end up living in weekly rent hotels, that cost more than an apartment. This is cheaper than a weekly rent hotel. $60/night is actually pretty cheap for a bed in SF, compared with hotels.

I expect this concept will spread, and people who can't even afford weekly rent hotels will be forced to live like this. A homeless person could beg enough to afford this. I wonder if they have communal kitchens with secure refrigerator space? I wonder if they provide soap and shampoo and towels like a regular hotel?

I suspect the biggest problem these places will have is avoiding a dirtbag reputation. If homeless people want to bring their shopping carts full of crap inside, and then sit in the bed pods cooking meth, then ordinary hipsters of modest means will not use them. If they try to prevent dirtbags from using these type of pods, the SJWs will say they are not woke enough, and will demand access for freaks and druggies the way they did with Starbuck's bathrooms.

I would never let myself get into a situation where I needed to use a place like this.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2019 01:31 PM by RoastBeefCurtains4Me.)
07-09-2019 01:30 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like RoastBeefCurtains4Me's post:
BBinger, Jura, Handsome Creepy Eel, bucky
zoom Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

It would be annoying if all four people were trying to watch tv at the same time and everyone kept turning their own tv's volume up to hear it.
07-09-2019 01:36 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes zoom's post:
bucky
Jeans Offline
Beta Orbiter

$60/night isn't TOO bad a price for a shared airbnb or hostel bed in SF or NYC, or hell, even DC. A bit of digging and I would definitely think one could find a cheaper option renting a private room off airbnb, though that may also feature a worse location, lesser amenities, and an disagreeable host.

I don't believe the founders of this genuinely believe that people will freely live in this situation for months on end because they actually prefer it to other options. I think they likely just came up with the marketing concept of rebranding the hostel, figured it could generate some press, and perhaps attract a few oddballs actually willing to put down 1,200 a month. Most of their customers will be very young backpackers, who will be have been sold on the idea that this is somehow a step above the normal hostel experience.
07-09-2019 03:19 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Jeans's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Jura, Brazilianguy
Jura Offline
Recovering Beta

Personally I can live with the price. This is the going rate for a bunk bed in a quality hostel in popular destinations like Paris, Amsterdam, SF, NYC...Now would I actually live there for more than a week? F no, but to each his own.

Their biggest challenge - just like any urban hostel across the world - will be to attract the right crowd/customers. When you offer a bed for 20$ a night (or 60$ in the case of major cities), you end up with more than your typical backpackers.

Here are some hostel policies that I've seen over the years; disguised as a way to to keep a genuine travel atmosphere :
- No local residents, ID required at check-in. (to keep homeless people away)
- No groups bigger than 4 (to keep stags away)
- Maximum 14 day stay (so they can kick out the IRT's / foreign students freshly arrived)
- Age limit: 35-40 (to keep the "sex tourists" tard away)

It seems hostels can get away with most of these rules while your regular hotel would end up in the news. I wonder how this place will do.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2019 08:12 PM by Jura.)
07-09-2019 08:12 PM
Cyclone Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

What a dump.

Paying $1200 to have a own private room among flatmates is already bad enough. $1200 to live in the SAME room, goddamn you need up upgrade your job. I would never move to SF unless I was offered bare minimum $80,000/yr salary.

Can't wait for the massive earthquake to come around already and rip that city to shreds.

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5
07-11-2019 01:23 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Cyclone's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, DJ-Matt, RoastBeefCurtains4Me
mkultra22 Offline
Male Feminist

The whole situation is massively absurd.

Previously I had seen a report of working adults in SF living in dorm communities, they were singing the praises of the arrangement because it is not PC to speak up about how screwed the housing situation is in SF. So they were just making stuff up about how they liked their roommates and the "community".

It is at the point now, where not even some doctors and lawyers, in SF and the wider Valley, are unable to afford houses in locations like SF, Palo Alto etc. Someone I know personally cashed out of his house in Palo Alto (retired gentleman) still had a mortgage on his house, with the money left he relocated to Texas, bought himself a house and land, and then on top of it still had extra money to live on for several years.

To get back on topic, SF refuses to deal with the housing situation. This situation just reflects the current political realities in California. I have even heard cases of Uber drivers sleeping in their cars because they work in SF.
07-11-2019 02:00 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like mkultra22's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, bucky, BBinger
Handsome Creepy Eel Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

The place looks like a gay sauna.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
07-11-2019 04:38 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Handsome Creepy Eel's post:
Brazilianguy, BBinger
WalterBlack Offline
True Player

(07-11-2019 01:23 PM)Cyclone Wrote:  What a dump.

Paying $1200 to have a own private room among flatmates is already bad enough. $1200 to live in the SAME room, goddamn you need up upgrade your job. I would never move to SF unless I was offered bare minimum $80,000/yr salary.

Can't wait for the massive earthquake to come around already and rip that city to shreds.

$80K doesn't get you shit in SF. In 2018 $117K was considered low income.
07-12-2019 06:51 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like WalterBlack's post:
bucky, Handsome Creepy Eel
Cattle Rustler Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(07-11-2019 01:23 PM)Cyclone Wrote:  What a dump.

80K a year is pretty much professional minimum wage in SF.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.
07-12-2019 07:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
jimukr75 Offline
Game Denialist

I seen better prison accommodations.
07-12-2019 07:10 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like jimukr75's post:
bucky, BBinger
LATAMnomad Offline
Game Denialist

(07-09-2019 01:36 PM)zoom Wrote:  It would be annoying if all four people were trying to watch tv at the same time and everyone kept turning their own tv's volume up to hear it.

Having to listen to a basketball game, news report, soap opera, and horror movie all at once would be a horror in itself.
07-12-2019 10:13 PM