I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Learning Languages Through Your Second Language
whitewashedblackguy Offline
Beta Orbiter

Learning Languages Through Your Second Language
So I want to learn a few different languages: I'm learning Spanish, next is French, then it's Portuguese, then Korean. That's a lot. But what I'm wondering is, is it possible to learn your third language through your second, and so on and so on. Does anyone have experience with this? What languages have yall learned like this? I would love to hear about it.
07-09-2019 01:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Seth_Rose Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

RE: Learning Languages Through Your Second Language
Sure, learning one Romance language for example will lend itself to others. I'm studying Romanian, and having studied Spanish and Russian I feel like I have a pretty good base.

What are your goals though? What level do you want to achieve with these languages (e.g. A2, C1 etc.)

I wouldn't get too far ahead of yourself planning to learn 5 languages. If you have a strong desire to learn Romance languages, that would make sense.

Blog - Twitter
07-09-2019 02:47 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Seth_Rose's post:
whitewashedblackguy
scotian Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Being fluent in French helped me learn Spanish a lot because of the similarities in grammar structure with Latin languages, there’s lots of similar words too so picking up vocabulary was easier to. My advice is to focus on one language at a time, I suggest Spanish.

God damned them all, I was told we'd cruise the seas for American gold, we'd fire no guns-shed no tears, now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's privateers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwzRkjn86w
07-09-2019 02:48 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
whitewashedblackguy
Beta Orbiter

(07-09-2019 02:47 PM)Seth_Rose Wrote:  Sure, learning one Romance language for example will lend itself to others. I'm studying Romanian, and having studied Spanish and Russian I feel like I have a pretty good base.

What are your goals though? What level do you want to achieve with these languages (e.g. A2, C1 etc.)

I wouldn't get too far ahead of yourself planning to learn 5 languages. If you have a strong desire to learn Romance languages, that would make sense.

I want to get as close to native as possible, which i hear is like 10000 words. My thought process is to get to a near native level with Spanish, then learn french through a Spanish-french book, and so on. Are you learning Romanian through English or through a Spanish/Russian book? That's what I'm most curious about.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2019 03:36 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-09-2019 03:30 PM
Beta Orbiter

(07-09-2019 02:48 PM)scotian Wrote:  Being fluent in French helped me learn Spanish a lot because of the similarities in grammar structure with Latin languages, there’s lots of similar words too so picking up vocabulary was easier to. My advice is to focus on one language at a time, I suggest Spanish.

That's the plan. I'm not moving on to french till I've been immersed for a year or so. The shitty thing is going to be korean, but I really want to learn it so...
07-09-2019 03:33 PM
scotian Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Don’t get in over your head with this stuff, just take small steps and keep your goals realistic and achievable. So start with Spanish and go immerse yourself in Colombia or wherever for a few months, who knows, you may knock up an Afro Colombiana cutie then suddenly learning French or Korean won’t be much of a priority.

God damned them all, I was told we'd cruise the seas for American gold, we'd fire no guns-shed no tears, now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's privateers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwzRkjn86w
07-09-2019 03:58 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like scotian's post:
whitewashedblackguy, 911, crudeloyalist, BoiBoi
Beta Orbiter

(07-09-2019 03:58 PM)scotian Wrote:  Don’t get in over your head with this stuff, just take small steps and keep your goals realistic and achievable. So start with Spanish and go immerse yourself in Colombia or wherever for a few months, who knows, you may knock up an Afro Colombiana cutie then suddenly learning French or Korean won’t be much of a priority.

Maybe. I want to learn them as a cool useful hobby, but maybe I'll be happy with just one if that ends up happening. In any case, I don't plan on learning french until I've got Spanish under my belt.

Korean would really be a useless language for me, but I want to learn cuz I'm part Korean. It would be for shits and giggles
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2019 04:17 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-09-2019 04:12 PM
MikeS Offline
Alpha Male

Of course, though it obviously depends on your level in your second language. I've been fluent in English the last couple of decades and have been communicating in it daily the last six years, so it's no more challenging to use that instead of my native Danish to learn another language.
And in fact with Bulgarian, since I currently live in Bulgaria, I suspect it would be difficult to get hold of Danish-Bulgarian material - I never tried looking. Even English-Bulgarian options are slightly sparse.
07-09-2019 05:22 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MikeS's post:
whitewashedblackguy
TigerMandingo Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

Is it really possible to be fluent in more than 2 languages? And by fluent I mean you have very solid conversational skills, no pauses, able to read academic-level literature etc. I speak 3 languages, but only 2 of them are high-level fluent.
07-09-2019 06:40 PM
Beta Orbiter

(07-09-2019 06:40 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote:  Is it really possible to be fluent in more than 2 languages? And by fluent I mean you have very solid conversational skills, no pauses, able to read academic-level literature etc. I speak 3 languages, but only 2 of them are high-level fluent.

I would like to think so. While I think the whole hyperglot thing is bullshit, maybe if we have the chance to immerse ourselves in each language, it's possible to be close to native in every one. Kinda like knowing multiple coding languages or multiple instruments.
07-09-2019 06:54 PM
911 Offline
International Playboy

(07-09-2019 06:40 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote:  Is it really possible to be fluent in more than 2 languages? And by fluent I mean you have very solid conversational skills, no pauses, able to read academic-level literature etc. I speak 3 languages, but only 2 of them are high-level fluent.

It's easy enough if you're from a mixed background. A good friend of mine who is German Canadian married a Japanese girl, his kids are already fully quadrilingual at age 10 (French and English on top of Japanese and German).

λ ό γ ο ς
07-09-2019 07:43 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes 911's post:
whitewashedblackguy
Beta Orbiter

Yea, I don’t think I can do that boss
07-10-2019 04:33 PM
Obermarschall Offline
Beta Orbiter

I would like to add a few points; French is a Romance language yes, but a very difficult one. I learned it since I was 8 or 9 and until now I still have difficulties with it. But when I learned Italian or Spanish they were somehow easier and I just didn't try to learn it through French you know. So in order to learn French, you need to somehow learn it by heart. There are so many exceptions, so many unique cases in the French language which makes it hard. There is a reason why French people can't speak a second language...so keep that in mind.

Another issue is that Spanish, Italian and Portuguese are so close to each other that you will easily mix them up, you need to clearly separate them. Keep Portuguese more at the end when you can clearly separate it from Spanish and once your Spanish is solid. Trust me, it will help you a lot.

I would also recommend German instead of Portuguese. With German you can travel across Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, eastern parts of Belgium, Northern Italy and even some places in Eastern Europe. It is also, from an economical point of view, a very important language. More people in Europe speak German than French.
07-11-2019 04:02 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Obermarschall's post:
whitewashedblackguy
Beta Orbiter

(07-11-2019 04:02 AM)Obermarschall Wrote:  I would like to add a few points; French is a Romance language yes, but a very difficult one. I learned it since I was 8 or 9 and until now I still have difficulties with it. But when I learned Italian or Spanish they were somehow easier and I just didn't try to learn it through French you know. So in order to learn French, you need to somehow learn it by heart. There are so many exceptions, so many unique cases in the French language which makes it hard. There is a reason why French people can't speak a second language...so keep that in mind.

Another issue is that Spanish, Italian and Portuguese are so close to each other that you will easily mix them up, you need to clearly separate them. Keep Portuguese more at the end when you can clearly separate it from Spanish and once your Spanish is solid. Trust me, it will help you a lot.

I would also recommend German instead of Portuguese. With German you can travel across Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, eastern parts of Belgium, Northern Italy and even some places in Eastern Europe. It is also, from an economical point of view, a very important language. More people in Europe speak German than French.

I know french is hard, but I have some good sources to explain all the rules for me. Not saying it'll be easy, but I'm aware. Also, I'm not sure about France, but a shit ton of the Quebecs are English/French Bilingual

Yeah, I'm not learning anything that closely related until I have the first language on lock. French would be spacer.

I don't know. I'm not really interested in any of those places except Switzerland. I want Portuguese for Brazil although I may change my mind about that down the road. But, I can see the importance from a economic POV. It would be easier to find french speaker though. I believe more travel to the states, and I've for sure seen more in Mexico than Germans.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2019 08:49 AM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-11-2019 08:33 AM
Beta Orbiter

Something else that's bugging me, half of the places mentioned by Obermarschall speak French as a second language, so I could learn french and go to Switzerland, Luxembourg, and Belgium. I would also like to point out that us Anglo's are actually the worst when it comes to learning a foreign language. It's us English speakers that don't bother with a second language.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2019 11:10 AM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-13-2019 11:09 AM
Seth_Rose Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

(07-09-2019 03:30 PM)whitewashedblackguy Wrote:  
(07-09-2019 02:47 PM)Seth_Rose Wrote:  Sure, learning one Romance language for example will lend itself to others. I'm studying Romanian, and having studied Spanish and Russian I feel like I have a pretty good base.

I want to get as close to native as possible, which i hear is like 10000 words. My thought process is to get to a near native level with Spanish, then learn french through a Spanish-french book, and so on. Are you learning Romanian through English or through a Spanish/Russian book? That's what I'm most curious about.

Using an English language book. Actually didn't strike me to use a Spanish-Romanian book.

But my Spanish is that developed yet. Just knowing a few thousand words though goes a long way.

Blog - Twitter
07-13-2019 12:53 PM
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(07-13-2019 12:53 PM)Seth_Rose Wrote:  
(07-09-2019 03:30 PM)whitewashedblackguy Wrote:  

Using an English language book. Actually didn't strike me to use a Spanish-Romanian book.

But my Spanish is that developed yet. Just knowing a few thousand words though goes a long way.

I wonder if there are even any materials available for Spanish speakers to learn Romanian. Even in English once you move away from the "big" languages like Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, and Arabic the amount of material available drops off dramatically. It's one of the things that's always kept me focused on the major languages, as interesting as learning something obscure like Welsh or Georgian might be.

Feminism in ten words: "Stop objectifying women! Can't you see I've hit the wall?" -Leonard D Neubache
07-13-2019 01:42 PM
Beta Orbiter

I don't think there is a book like that. I'm sure there's a Russian Romanian book though, cuz of the Slav influence

This techinque I'm talking about actually has a name, it's called 'laddering'

https://bilingua.io/laddering-technique-...rning-plan
07-13-2019 03:05 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes whitewashedblackguy's post:
bucky

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Language Learning Experiences Kelent 40 2,985 07-15-2019 12:02 AM
Last Post: bucky
  Learning a language: a proven life-changing decision Going strong 41 18,180 12-11-2018 10:28 AM
Last Post: Obermarschall
  Learning Japanese Matt3B 38 17,251 11-08-2018 01:27 PM
Last Post: Mksa21