I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Making Money Amazon loosing my products : a common occurence?
Latan Offline
Pelican

Amazon loosing my products : a common occurence?
Hello,

Are there veteran Amazon sellers on this forum?
I'd really like to have your feedback.

I sent about 10 expeditions to Amazon, in total.
Everything went well, except one time, where 5 products were never received.
After calling the support, they couldn't find the products, and won't refund me.

Has it already happened to you?
Support tells me it's a very rare occurence, but I doubt they're allowed to say otherwise.

Was I just unlucky?
Or does Amazon make products disappear, on a regular basis?
If yes, I'll look into other passive income methods, as I don't like playing russian roulette with my money.

Thanks for your time, have a great day.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2019 11:18 AM by Latan.)
07-12-2019 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Latan Offline
Pelican

RE: Amazon loosing my products : a common occurence?
A quick update concerning this issue.

Amazon lost my products a second time.
The first time, $100; the second $350 worth of products.
Despite trying my best, I won't be refunded : Amazon won't even explain to me what happened and how to prevent it in the future.
They just don't give a shit.

It seems to be a common occurence, at least in France.
Many french FBA sellers tend to leave the FBA service, because of this (source : Amazon FR forum).

So my advice to French sellers, asking themselves if they should use FBA or not : DON'T.
Yes, the potential sales are higher, but Amazon will "loose" your products on a regular basis.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2019 06:48 AM by Latan.)
08-15-2019 06:47 AM
Nineteen84 Offline
Pelican

Did you use tracked shipping to send them?
08-15-2019 08:32 AM
Latan Offline
Pelican

(08-15-2019 08:32 AM)Nineteen84 Wrote:  Did you use tracked shipping to send them?

Yes, used UPS.
They confirmed the package was safely delivered.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2019 09:30 AM by Latan.)
08-15-2019 09:29 AM
Latan Offline
Pelican

I finally understand what went wrong with my expeditions.
It was my fault, and I'll detail why.
It only took me 10 hours on the phone with Amazon, going from person to person, in the hope of finally having an answer.

When I sent products, I separated each different ones in a single cardboard.
Example : 5 watches in 1 cardboard + 10 headphones in 1 carboard, for a total of 2 cardboards.
Then, I taped them together and declared 1 final big cardboard sent to Amazon warehouse.

When the Amazon team received my 2 cardboards, they only had 1 planned, so they threw away the second one.
When I asked where my products were, the checking team found 1 cardboard and declared everything had arrived, thus refusing to refund me.

I had to ask the question of "why" this issue was happening to at least 15 people of the phone, before finally one aged lady was able to answer me.

I still have about 1000+ euros products being received right now, with the same declaration mistake.
I hope everything will go well.

I foul talked about Amazon on this thread.
I was wrong.
Lesson learned.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2019 11:35 AM by Latan.)
08-15-2019 11:33 AM
[-] The following 5 users Like Latan's post:
debeguiled, Davidovich, alephito, Hillbilly, Zenta
Nineteen84 Offline
Pelican

(08-15-2019 11:33 AM)Latan Wrote:  When the Amazon team received my 2 cardboards, they only had 1 planned, so they threw away the second one.

They 'threw it away'... sure they did. Because people who send in boxes with $100's or $1000's of stuff inside also send boxes of trash?

People make the same mistake you do every day. The fulfillment warehouses know the common mistakes FBA etc. sellers make. They should be fixing their systems but hey why bother.

I wouldn't be surprised if your goods got 're-purposed' and end up for sale... on amazon. You may even have to compete with another seller who's selling your OWN STUFF. Or maybe it will end up on eBay. Or sit on a random shelf in warehouse B for the next 4 years.

Regardless, things like this are why I recommend people launch their own sites and platforms.

Even if your goods don't mysteriously go missing Amazon will watch your sales data and take any hot seller/ good product idea you have then manufacture and sell it themselves. Take a look at Amazon Basics.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019 04:54 PM by Nineteen84.)
08-16-2019 04:50 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nineteen84's post:
Latan
SpursFan741 Offline
Robin

@Latan

Is France a good market to start selling on Amazon in Europe? Is it as competitive as the USA?
08-18-2019 06:39 AM
Latan Offline
Pelican

(08-18-2019 06:39 AM)SpursFan741 Wrote:  @Latan

Is France a good market to start selling on Amazon in Europe? Is it as competitive as the USA?

Yes and No, here's why :

- It's much less competitive : French people don't have the "self made man" mindset.
When I talk about my Amazon experience around me, people are interested as long as I talk about money; but as soon as I talk about the efforts required to succeed and show them the Excel I use to calculate my prices and required sales for profit, they all lose interest in a matter of seconds.

- I think this market will grow in the incoming years, as french people don't have yet the "let's buy it on Amazon" reflex.

- With leads me to the cons : a fast selling product on Amazon.com sells 10 / 20 times (and sometimes 100 times) faster than in Europe.
Don't hope to sell your products 30 times a day, when selling in Europe, except if you have the top 0.1% products.

- Second con : the obligation to multiply the products you sell.
On Amazon.com, as you are selling vast quantities of 1 product : as long as you stay on the first page, you can make good money.
On Amazon.fr, as you sell your products comparatively very slowly, you have to invest in multiple products if you want to come close to the same profits.
Which means having to monitor 10 products (ie ad campaigns, stocks, etc), instead of 1.

- Last but not least important Con : I think Amazon.fr has lower quality machines / personnal, to receive your stocks.
I believe I lost many products due to people not knowing what they are doing, and / or using outdated sorting machines.
I wasn't able to find many people complaining about lost products in the US...while in France they are legion.
Note : an Amazon employee I had on the phone, even told me that large shipments have a higher chance of getting "lost", that it's better to send small quantities of items to the warehouse.

In the end, if I had the choice, I'd sell on Amazon.com, not Amazon.fr.
But I wasn't able to bypass the need to have a physical billing adress in the US, linked to a US credit card, in order to do business there.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019 11:12 AM by Latan.)
08-18-2019 10:50 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Latan's post:
SpursFan741
SpursFan741 Offline
Robin

(08-18-2019 10:50 AM)Latan Wrote:  
(08-18-2019 06:39 AM)SpursFan741 Wrote:  @Latan

Yes and No, here's why :

- It's much less competitive : French people don't have the "self made man" mindset.
When I talk about my Amazon experience around me, people are interested as long as I talk about money; but as soon as I talk about the efforts required to succeed and show them the Excel I use to calculate my prices and required sales for profit, they all lose interest in a matter of seconds.

- I think this market will grow in the incoming years, as french people don't have yet the "let's buy it on Amazon" reflex.

- With leads me to the cons : a fast selling product on Amazon.com sells 10 / 20 times (and sometimes 100 times) faster than in Europe.
Don't hope to sell your products 30 times a day, when selling in Europe, except if you have the top 0.1% products.

- Second con : the obligation to multiply the products you sell.
On Amazon.com, as you are selling vast quantities of 1 product : as long as you stay on the first page, you can make good money.
On Amazon.fr, as you sell your products comparatively very slowly, you have to invest in multiple products if you want to come close to the same profits.
Which means having to monitor 10 products (ie ad campaigns, stocks, etc), instead of 1.

- Last but not least important Con : I think Amazon.fr has lower quality machines / personnal, to receive your stocks.
I believe I lost many products due to people not knowing what they are doing, and / or using outdated sorting machines.
I wasn't able to find many people complaining about lost products in the US...while in France they are legion.
Note : an Amazon employee I had on the phone, even told me that large shipments have a higher chance of getting "lost", that it's better to send small quantities of items to the warehouse.

In the end, if I had the choice, I'd sell on Amazon.com, not Amazon.fr.
But I wasn't able to bypass the need to have a physical billing adress in the US, linked to a US credit card, in order to do business there.

Thanks for the info bro.

For Amazon US, you don't need a physical billing address in the US, linked to a US credit card. You need credit card statements with your home address on it IN ENGLISH, official translated . So it can be in French, but it need to be officialy translated (I know some US companies who do this, PM me if interested).

I don't know how the procedure is to register for Amazon FR? Can all the documents be sent in French?

Is it every 3 months that you have to file a VAT return in France or every month like in Germany?
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019 11:51 AM by SpursFan741.)
08-18-2019 11:51 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes SpursFan741's post:
Latan
Latan Offline
Pelican

(08-18-2019 11:51 AM)SpursFan741 Wrote:  For Amazon US, you don't need a physical billing address in the US, linked to a US credit card.

My bad, I was in fact speaking about buying from US sellers, like Walmart for example.
They don't accept my card, while it's an international one.
I even have to use a VPN, in order to access some of these big websites.

(08-18-2019 11:51 AM)SpursFan741 Wrote:  I don't know how the procedure is to register for Amazon FR? Can all the documents be sent in French?

Keep in mind the procedure might differ, for someone outside from France.
But I think they'll only ask you for your ID and your bank informations, and should accept documents in other languages than french.

(08-18-2019 11:51 AM)SpursFan741 Wrote:  Is it every 3 months that you have to file a VAT return in France or every month like in Germany?

As an auto-entrepreneur, it's every 3 months.
Maybe there are other statuses, which have different periods, I couldn't tell you more about this.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019 02:02 PM by Latan.)
08-18-2019 02:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Amazon Kindle Thread Hades 16 6,694 10-15-2019 09:38 PM
Last Post: antman333
  [Making Money]  Is anyone importing/selling/dropshipping products on Amazon as a side hustle? HonantheBarbarian 119 61,682 05-10-2019 06:36 AM
Last Post: ChicagoFire
  [Making Money]  Buying Amazon returns... viable biz or a bet? joecolombia 7 2,017 10-16-2018 10:07 AM
Last Post: PrettyBoyAJ