I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

How much offense do British people intend when they call Americans "Yanks"?
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

It seems mildly insulting and dismissive when Brits call us "Yanks," as they seem to do more often than not. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe they mean no offense. I've never been to the UK so I haven't been around a lot of British people. I did work for a UK-based company in the US once, and you certainly never heard English people there say "Yank."

I realize I just called people from the UK "Brits" but "Brit" somehow seems unoffensive whereas "Yank" has a bit of a cold prickly feel to it.

Feminism in ten words: "Stop objectifying women! Can't you see I've hit the wall?" -Leonard D Neubache
07-13-2019 09:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Thomas Jackson Offline
Chubby Chaser

RE: How much offense do British people intend when they call Americans "Yanks"?
Seemingly none, but calling Southerners "Yanks" is certainly not going to go over well.
07-13-2019 09:22 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like Thomas Jackson's post:
Emperor Constantine, bucky, 911, Yatagan, bacani, beta_plus
DiRocchio Offline
Male Feminist

(07-13-2019 09:10 AM)bucky Wrote:  It seems mildly insulting and dismissive when Brits call us "Yanks," as they seem to do more often than not. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe they mean no offense. I've never been to the UK so I haven't been around a lot of British people. I did work for a UK-based company in the US once, and you certainly never heard English people there say "Yank."

I realize I just called people from the UK "Brits" but "Brit" somehow seems unoffensive whereas "Yank" has a bit of a cold prickly feel to it.

Some will use it in a pejorative manner, whilst others will use it in an endearing, jocular way that demonstrates an awareness of the close cultural and historic links between the two nations. Most Englishman using the term 'Yank' will be unaware that it refers to those from Northern regions, they will use it as an umbrella term for all Americans. This shows our general amnesia as a nation.

Unfortunately in Britain we have this sense that we are somehow superior to America and Americans. Americans of course are all dumb and obnoxious, so the stereotype in England goes. Americans are so stupid as to believe in a 'right to bear arms', I mean, what could possibly go wrong with bestowing a monopoly of power to the state? Most NPCs will hold these naive opinions.

The more learned or aware Englishman will likely view America with a feeling of respect at the sheer power of America, many aspects of its constitution and legal system which are closely linked with English history. For example, your Bill of Rights is based on the 1689 Bill of Rights that followed the Glorious Revolution. The right to bear arms is derived from the English Bill of Rights; I can guarantee you that less than 0.5% of the English people are aware of this. The gun laws in England at the turn of the 20th century made Texas' gun laws appear effeminate, and yet now we can't so much as watch the television without acquiring a license from the state.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2019 10:07 AM by DiRocchio.)
07-13-2019 10:05 AM
[-] The following 8 users Like DiRocchio's post:
bucky, azulsombra, RedKurrant, 13thDuke, remarkable vigour, bacani, Tail Gunner, beta_plus
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(07-13-2019 09:22 AM)Thomas Jackson Wrote:  Seemingly none, but calling Southerners "Yanks" is certainly not going to go over well.

I'm not from the South, but yeah, that's one thing I've always hated about being called a "Yank" or a "Yankee": I'm not from New England and don't identify with that part of the US at all. Still, I get that non-Americans don't realize that in the US "Yankee" is only used for New Englanders, and usually only by Southerners.

Feminism in ten words: "Stop objectifying women! Can't you see I've hit the wall?" -Leonard D Neubache
07-13-2019 10:05 AM
scotian Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

I remember a young girl at work in Alberta called a guy from Louisiana a Yankee and he said “I ain’t no Yankee I’m a Coon Ass” and she looked at him like he had two heads because she didn’t know what the true meaning of the word was.

God damned them all, I was told we'd cruise the seas for American gold, we'd fire no guns-shed no tears, now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's privateers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwzRkjn86w
07-13-2019 10:41 AM
[-] The following 5 users Like scotian's post:
bucky, Tactician, gework, bacani, beta_plus
RexImperator Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

If only you knew how bad things really are.
07-13-2019 10:45 AM
Il Bersagliere Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

Seppo is another colorful word these Brit retards and Aussie bogans keep throwing around. Much more offensive than yank in my opinion.

whip
07-13-2019 11:05 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Il Bersagliere's post:
worldwidetraveler
RIslander Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Reminds me of this scene from this underrated movie:

Its about the context and tone I think. "Fuckin Yanks" versus "Oh hey here's my Yank Mate Charles!"

Also you can take the term further by using Swamp Yankee. Anyone from New England will get the reference but basically its a NE redneck.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT
07-13-2019 11:41 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like RIslander's post:
bucky, beta_plus
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(07-13-2019 11:05 AM)Il Bersagliere Wrote:  Seppo is another colorful word these Brit retards and Aussie bogans keep throwing around. Much more offensive than yank in my opinion.

Never heard it before, and I'm pretty well traveled. At urbandictionary.com it says it's a contraction of "septic tank" because it rhymes with "yank." Yeah, that one would sting a bit.

07-13-2019 12:28 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bucky's post:
beta_plus
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(07-13-2019 10:41 AM)scotian Wrote:  I remember a young girl at work in Alberta called a guy from Louisiana a Yankee and he said “I ain’t no Yankee I’m a Coon Ass” and she looked at him like he had two heads because she didn’t know what the true meaning of the word was.

So I guess even the Canadians don't know how "Yankee" is used in the US. Thought they might be the only other nationality that would.

07-13-2019 12:32 PM
TigerMandingo Online
International Playboy
Gold Member

If you get offended at ethnic slurs, you need to lighten up a bit.

Personally I love using heeb, wop, chink, frog, greaseball, wetback, russki etc. I heard a French dude refer to Italians as spaghetti-suckers, and when combined in a French accent sounds damn funny. People have just totally their sense of humor nowadays so ive had to drastically cut back on my racial humor out of fear of being dragged to HR ( the horror!!!)
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2019 12:47 PM by TigerMandingo.)
07-13-2019 12:44 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like TigerMandingo's post:
glugger, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Paracelsus
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(07-13-2019 12:44 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote:  If you get offended at ethnic slurs, you need to lighten up a bit.

Personally I love using heeb, wop, chink, frog, greaseball, wetback, russki etc. I heard a French dude refer to Italians as spaghetti-suckers, and when combined in a French accent sounds damn funny. People have just totally their sense of humor nowadays so ive had to drastically cut back on my racial humor out of fear of being dragged to HR ( the horror!!!)

It's not something I lose sleep over, it's more that "Yank" seems like this perfectly subtle jab with plausible deniability, and we "Yanks" don't really have anything equivalent to refer to our Anglo-Saxon cousins across the Atlantic. I guess there's "Limey" but no one really uses it in everyday conversation and it comes off as tryhard and butthurt.

07-13-2019 02:36 PM
worldwidetraveler Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

I never considered Yanks as being offensive. My British friends used it all the time in a joking way.
07-13-2019 04:17 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like worldwidetraveler's post:
bucky, glugger
Mekorig Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Ahhhh...Yanki. Yeah, down here its common to call that way to people of the USA. Also gringo, but gringo its usually use for any foreign. Also people here tend to sneer when american call thenself "american".

"What is important is to try to develop insights and wisdom rather than mere knowledge, respect someone's character rather than his learning, and nurture men of character rather than mere talents." - Inazo Nitobe

When i´m feeling blue, when i just need something to shock me up, i look at this thread and everything get better!

Letters from the battlefront: Argentina
07-13-2019 04:36 PM
RIslander Offline
True Player
Gold Member

What about Tea Sucker and Fog Breather?

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT
07-13-2019 04:39 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like RIslander's post:
bucky, beta_plus
PixelFree Offline
Recovering Beta

Many of us Aussies refer to Americans as Yanks and it is not derogatory or intended to be in our opinion.

Having said that, we don’t know the history behind it.
07-13-2019 04:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes PixelFree's post:
bucky
Sandstorm Offline
Chubby Chaser

Almost none, IMHO. I'm British.

About the same as us being called limeys or pommes by the Aussies.

It's like brothers ribbing each other.

Nothing serious in it.

L:162 F:20 V:9 A:6 3S:1

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society"
07-13-2019 04:56 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Sandstorm's post:
bucky, Rigsby, Matsufubu
worldwidetraveler Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

(07-13-2019 11:05 AM)Il Bersagliere Wrote:  Seppo is another colorful word these Brit retards and Aussie bogans keep throwing around. Much more offensive than yank in my opinion.

I think that term is meant to be offensive.

I was pretty good friends with a Brit that worked with me. He invited me to his wedding so I took a trip over and made a vacation out of it. At the wedding there was a guy who decided to tell me about that term. Apparently it was from World War 2. I had a feeling he was trying to get a reaction out of me but I had no clue about it nor cared.

This guy was seeing this girl that had come over to visit my friend. She and he apparently just broke up before this trip and I ended up sleeping with her on her visit. They ended up getting back together and later married. My friend said she begged him to tell me not to say anything during his wedding. haha
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2019 05:08 PM by worldwidetraveler.)
07-13-2019 05:04 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes worldwidetraveler's post:
Il Bersagliere
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(07-13-2019 04:36 PM)Mekorig Wrote:  Ahhhh...Yanki. Yeah, down here its common to call that way to people of the USA. Also gringo, but gringo its usually use for any foreign. Also people here tend to sneer when american call thenself "american".

I always tell people from south of the border that if you all wanted to be Americans, you should have been a little more motivated and gotten your independence before 1776. Too late now, so you're consigned to being Argentinos, Mexicanos, and so forth.

07-13-2019 05:41 PM
Foolsgo1d Offline
Innovative Casanova

Never heard of Seppo and I'm pretty sure you could ask many Brits/English people and they would think its a drink.

And the term Yank can be used in different contexts. "Those fucking yanks" and "those yanks have nice guns dont they?" are different in tone. Southerners in the US always use the yankee word as an insult and plenty of people are aware of the difference but general ignorance prevails but is it really important?

I get it if you are in a southern bar and start mouthing off as a tourist but most people dont care the same way most Americans couldn't spot most well known countries. They do not care.
07-13-2019 05:42 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Foolsgo1d's post:
bucky
JackinMelbourne Away
Wingman
Gold Member

Skips use the term Yanks all the time as slang/short for US Amercians. It rolls off the tongue quicker, even if it isn't politically or historically accurate. There is never any offense intended, if there was, it would include another word such as "fucking yanks" or something along those lines.

For entertainment and educational use only, your m8 Jackin'
07-13-2019 06:01 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JackinMelbourne's post:
bucky
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(07-13-2019 04:56 PM)Sandstorm Wrote:  How much offense do British people intend when they call Americans "Yanks"?

Almost none, IMHO. I'm British.

About the same as us being called limeys or pommes by the Aussies.

It's like brothers ribbing each other.

Nothing serious in it.

Interesting. I thought Limey was kind of offensive.

07-13-2019 06:05 PM
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(07-13-2019 04:39 PM)RIslander Wrote:  What about Tea Sucker and Fog Breather?

"Fog Breather" is pretty funny.

07-13-2019 06:08 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like bucky's post:
beta_plus, RIslander
RawGod Offline
True Player
Gold Member

And they say Yanks can't bantz....

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.
07-13-2019 06:17 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes RawGod's post:
Rigsby
Rigsby Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

(07-13-2019 02:36 PM)bucky Wrote:  
(07-13-2019 12:44 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote:  If you get offended at ethnic slurs, you need to lighten up a bit.

It's not something I lose sleep over, it's more that "Yank" seems like this perfectly subtle jab with plausible deniability, and we "Yanks" don't really have anything equivalent to refer to our Anglo-Saxon cousins across the Atlantic. I guess there's "Limey" but no one really uses it in everyday conversation and it comes off as tryhard and butthurt.

Personally I love using heeb, wop, chink, frog, greaseball, wetback, russki etc

Mmm. you seem to have left out one little word starting with 'N'...

Let me see..

I guess there's "Limey" but no one really uses it in everyday conversation

I do, whenever I use the 'Y' word.

It shows I'm not a, I don't know, one of those...

Words are stupid!

A lot of limeys that use the 'Y' word don't know that it's denoting Americans from the North, true, and it is meant as a 'slur' a lot of the time. But really, that's from an older, dying out generation. Very few younger kids would use the 'Y' word today as a 'slur' - they probably wouldn't use it at all.

When it's used, you can almost be sure it's used as a term of endearment, or ironically. And that those people using it probably do know that it denotes an American from the North. But now always.

See also 'Septic' - another very well known 'slur' or term of endearment.

Septic tank - Yank. Sorry, 'Y' word. I'm just a simple limey.

Any American today that took offense at the 'Y' word, well...

Unless it was said in a forthright offensive manner - it's not what you say it's how you say it right? - they are just being a cotton-pants!

We sometimes call you 'ham-shanks'. Geddit? Cockney rhyming slang and all that.

But really, I don't think anyone from Great Britain really thinks about Americans anymore. They certainly wouldn't have a term of endearment for them. They just don't exist in their small myopic eyes.

Americans used to be a big thing around here. The love, the hate. These days it's just indifference. Now the older generations that are so greatful for those wonderful Americans saving us from the nasty Adolf Hitler, are dying out.

If any Yank called me a 'Limey', I'd take it with good grace and humour.

If he said it with a sneer and a snarl, or even a smirk, I might feel differently.

Especially if he was beating me around my head when he was saying it.

Up till then, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Context is everything. You have no context on an internet forum.

That's why the 'N' word doesn't scare me. So many different social situations where it is being freely thrown around. With black people actively encouraging it. But many other people (both black and white) will find it disgraceful and unacceptable. If they don't see the context.

But sometimes, black people don't want to be policed by other black people (or whites with their victim racism), and are quite happy for white people to join in with the whole 'N' fest.

Different strokes for different folks.

Words should be free. We all know when they are supposed to mean offense.

And it's at those times I've got stuck in. You don't call my girlfriend that. You don't call my friend that.

But still, we all have to choose our battles well.

Generally whenever I hear anyone using a 'slur' outside of a 'specialized environment' I assume it is supposed to be derogatory and cause offense. May not be fighting words, but may very well be...

Whenever I hear any of that shit within a highly specialized environment such as we have here at RVF, I always assume it's ironic, or edgy, or educational, or humorous, or thought-provoking.

There's a time and a place for everything. If no words were banned, none would cause offense, and that is a good argument for not banning any words.

People will find offense wherever they want.

I mean, I was most offended the other day when someone used the 'C' word. Do you know what they called me? That's right! A Caucasian. I mean, that's got to be worse than calling someone the 'N' word, right? And imagine calling someone a Negro!

But never mind all that, OP got offended at the 'Y' word.

I wonder if they get offended at the 'F' word?

Faggot.

Not calling OP a faggot here, to be clear. Just asking the question. You know, like they were. Concerned and all that. Curious.

This forum was one of the last few places on the internet to discuss all this stuff. I don't think anyone really took the time or made the effort to do that and now that time has passed.

Shame.

Here's a clue:

Every single word that exists can be used as a term of endearment or a slur, depending on context. Think of the worst word you can.

Little cunt. Little nigger. Little chinky. Little limey.

Each one can be extremely offensive due to context. Or extremely funny, depending...

I mean, who hasn't laughed at that masterpiece by Owen Benjamin: That Limey stole my bike!

What are words worth?
What are words worth? Words
Words in papers, words in books
Words on TV, words for crooks
Words of comfort, words of peace
Words to make the fighting cease
Words to tell you what to do
Words are working hard for you
Eat your words but don't go hungry
Words have always nearly hung me
Ram sam sam, a ram sam sam
Guli guli guli guli guli ram sam sam
Haykayay yipi yaykayé
Ahou ahou a nikichi
What are words worth?
Words of nuance, words of skill
And words of romance are a thrill
Words are stupid, words are fun
Words can put you on the run
Mots pressé, Mots sensé
Mots qui disent la verité
Mots maudits, mots mentis
Mots qui manquent le fruit d'esprit
Haykayay yipi yaykayé
Ahou ahou a nikichi
What are words worth?
It's a rap race, with a fast pace
Concrete words, abstract words
Crazy words and lying words
Hazy words and dying words
Words of faith and tell me straight
Rare words and swear words
Good words and bad words
Haykayay yipi yaykayé
Ahou ahou a nikichi
What are words worth?
Haykayay yipi yaykayé
Ahou ahou a nikichi
What are words worth?
Words can make you pay and pay
Four-letter words I cannot say
Panty, toilet, dirty devil
Words are trouble, words are subtle
Words of anger, words of hate
Words over here, words out there
In the air and everywhere
Words of wisdom, words of strife
Words that write the book I like
Words won't find no right solution
To the planet earth's pollution
Say the right word, make a million
Words are like a certain person
Who can't say what they mean
Don't mean what they say
With a rap rap here and a rap rap there
Here a rap, there a rap
Everywhere a rap rap
Rap it up for the common good
Let us enlist the neighbourhood
It's okay, I've overstood
This is a wordy rappinghood, okay, bye
Haykayay yipi yaykayé
Ahou ahou a nikichi
What are words worth?
What are words worth?
What are words worth?
He don't stop, he don't stop

Yeah,

Words have always nearly hung me.
07-13-2019 11:25 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rigsby's post:
Tex Cruise

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  40% of Americans won't date someone with bad credit. SlickyBoy 38 16,476 01-12-2019 12:02 PM
Last Post: Leads
  Why are Americans circumcised? cardguy 204 83,874 01-08-2019 02:54 PM
Last Post: realologist
  Timeline of the Jewish Genocide of the British People Ferrari 2 1,190 12-19-2018 06:42 PM
Last Post: Markcrist