I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Best careers to allow a lifestyle of frequent travel?
forgottenowl Offline
Game Denialist

Best careers to allow a lifestyle of frequent travel?
To travel you need money + time.

What careers give you money is well known.

What careers give you time? Most US jobs only give 2-3 weeks off a year.

Options I've figured out so far are

1. Online freelancer
2. Online business owner
3. Working as a server (doable because service industry turnover is high so you can quit and find work again but you'll have to save hard, won't be travelling lavishly, and no career advancement ).
4. Oilfield month on month off stuff (dying out and I couldn't personally do it because of back issues but might work for others)

My white whale right now is a white-collar career where you can work ~8 months out of the year and travel the other 4. Freelancing is an alternative but would rather have my travel be completely travel.
07-16-2019 05:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
djk100 Offline
Recovering Beta

RE: Best careers to allow a lifestyle of frequent travel?
I know someone who worked as a management consultant and he just travelled every week
07-16-2019 07:01 PM
FullThrottleTX Offline
Beta Orbiter

(07-16-2019 05:45 PM)forgottenowl Wrote:  To travel you need money + time.

What careers give you money is well known.

What careers give you time? Most US jobs only give 2-3 weeks off a year.

Options I've figured out so far are

1. Online freelancer
2. Online business owner
3. Working as a server (doable because service industry turnover is high so you can quit and find work again but you'll have to save hard, won't be travelling lavishly, and no career advancement ).
4. Oilfield month on month off stuff (dying out and I couldn't personally do it because of back issues but might work for others)

My white whale right now is a white-collar career where you can work ~8 months out of the year and travel the other 4. Freelancing is an alternative but would rather have my travel be completely travel.

Teacher.
07-16-2019 07:22 PM
forgottenowl Offline
Game Denialist

(07-16-2019 07:01 PM)djk100 Wrote:  I know someone who worked as a management consultant and he just travelled every week

travelling for work or travelling for leisure?

my intention with the post wasn't really work travel, not quite the same experience
07-16-2019 07:42 PM
Fitman2018 Offline
Beta Orbiter

You have to decide what you want, if you want to travel full time and have an income the only way is online work or a business owner unless you have passive income from rental properties etc. If you want to travel and not work than any business you decide to pursue will allow that if your in business for yourself. Location Independence is a wonderful thing if you can get to that level where you can travel, live anywhere and always have an income!
07-16-2019 08:26 PM
velkrum Offline
Chubby Chaser

NOTHING beats the Medical Field:
  • Physical Therapist
  • Physical Therapy Assistant
  • Practical Nurse
  • Nurse
  • Nurse Practitioner
  • CRNA
  • Physician

Inferior Game + Inferior Genetics = Incel
Superior Game + Inferior Genetics = Incel

Inferior Game + Average Genetics = Friend zone
Superior Game + Average Genetics = Beta Bucks
Inferior Game + Superior Genetics = Alpha
Superior Game + Superior Genetics = Game of Life: now on EASY mode
07-16-2019 08:52 PM
JoeSomebody Offline
Game Denialist

Airlines. Specifically pilot or flight attendant. The sheer flexibility we have, especially with seniority is something few other jobs can match. I'm not even talking about the travel related to the job, I'm talking more so on your free time if you choose to travel. Not to mention the massive discounts we get on most major airlines throughout the world.
07-17-2019 12:39 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like JoeSomebody's post:
John Dodds, pico
Easy_C Offline
International Playboy

(07-16-2019 07:01 PM)djk100 Wrote:  I know someone who worked as a management consultant and he just travelled every week

(07-16-2019 07:42 PM)forgottenowl Wrote:  

travelling for work or travelling for leisure?

my intention with the post wasn't really work travel, not quite the same experience

I can speak to this.

The answer is "both".

Typically in these jobs people fly Monday through Thursday, staying three nights per week at the client's site. The length of time spent on one client can vary dramatically depending on what you do. If you're doing more high level strategy or due diligence work projects are typically 3-5 weeks long. If you're in an area like IT consulting or logistics where you're implementing entirely new systems then you're likely to be involved in long haul projects where you could work on the same project for as long as 1-3 years if you want to stay there.

You'll be traveling a shit-ton for work. If you're good at cold approach or tinder game you will meet a LOT of women. I've got a dude from my class who does this kind of job. He's a former grunt who looks like Jensen Ackles so the dude cleans up and it's a miracle this guy's tackle hasn't rotted off by now.

If you don't mind not spending your weekends at home these jobs are also great for leisure travel. Here's why: not only does the amount of PTO you get tend to be generous (although you'll be busy AF during the week), but you get to keep all those travel benefits on your personal account. You'll get even better travel benefits because most firms will have negotiated fast-track programs that will throw up to high tier elite status at your favorite airline or hotel chain within your first few months on the job. So not only will you be accumulating travel rewards freely but you'll be doing so at a much faster rate than other people (because status and corporate programs pay higher ticket prices with higher point multiples per spend) while enjoying additional perks like free access to premier seating, complimentary upgrade requests on flights, early group boarding, getting your pre-check paid for, free breakfast or lounge access at hotels, late check outs, free room upgrades, and the like.

Now the kicker: consulting firms usually don't require you to fly home. The typical practice is to pay for a ticket costs up to the cost of your flight home. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from using that against the cost of a ticket to another city to hang out and party there for the weekend. Wanna go party in Nashville instead of flying home to Atlanta? Have at it.

The other "business" job I can recommend is working at an airline's business function. These come with a perk that you can fly on any open seat in the best category of seating available. I talked to a guy awhile back who interned at an airline during grad school and the intern class set up a thumbtack map for cities visited. The class had managed to drop some on every continent over the course of a summer.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2019 01:20 AM by Easy_C.)
07-17-2019 01:18 AM
Salame Offline
Game Denialist

(07-17-2019 01:18 AM)Easy_C Wrote:   Now the kicker: consulting firms usually don't require you to fly home. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from using that against the cost of a ticket to another city.
I'm not US based but I'm pretty sure this comes with rank, you can't be an Associate 1 at PWC hitting up various cities, it'll be flagged but the US is a different beast regarding literally everything although I'd debate your PTO as generous, the US guys don't have nearly as much as the European guys although Asian bros have it the worst!
07-17-2019 02:00 AM
John Dodds Offline
Recovering Beta

Pilot and Air Steward are the obvious answers.
Diplomat or soldier are other possibilities.
07-17-2019 04:05 AM
Elmore Offline
Recovering Beta

(07-17-2019 12:39 AM)JoeSomebody Wrote:  Airlines. Specifically pilot or flight attendant

Roosh V Forum has fallen.
07-17-2019 04:28 AM
uhriginal Offline
Beta Orbiter

If you're in finance/accounting, become a contractor.

>work 8-12 week projects
>paid by the hour
>travel after you're done

Only caveat is that you don't get health insurance and it can be hard to find gigs
07-17-2019 08:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Easy_C Offline
International Playboy

(07-17-2019 02:00 AM)Salame Wrote:  
(07-17-2019 01:18 AM)Easy_C Wrote:   Now the kicker: consulting firms usually don't require you to fly home. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from using that against the cost of a ticket to another city.
I'm not US based but I'm pretty sure this comes with rank, you can't be an Associate 1 at PWC hitting up various cities, it'll be flagged but the US is a different beast regarding literally everything although I'd debate your PTO as generous, the US guys don't have nearly as much as the European guys although Asian bros have it the worst!

That's why. It can vary a bit by firm but US they're usually allowed to travel to other locations based on ticket cost. You can't fly somewhere twice the price but if you want to go somewhere cheaper or catch the remaining cost with your own money they usually don't care.
07-17-2019 09:44 AM
forgottenowl Offline
Game Denialist

(07-17-2019 08:23 AM)uhriginal Wrote:  If you're in finance/accounting, become a contractor.

>work 8-12 week projects
>paid by the hour

Only caveat is that you don't get health insurance and it can be hard to find gigs

any idea what the best avenue is for finding contracts?
07-17-2019 01:03 PM
uhriginal Offline
Beta Orbiter

(07-17-2019 01:03 PM)forgottenowl Wrote:  
(07-17-2019 08:23 AM)uhriginal Wrote:  If you're in finance/accounting, become a contractor.

>work 8-12 week projects
>paid by the hour

any idea what the best avenue is for finding contracts?

I've done it through Acountemps and through small CPA firms.

I've seen people start their own "CPA" firm and contract their "staff level" work to bigger firms.
07-17-2019 01:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes uhriginal's post:
forgottenowl
Sailor87 Offline
Male Feminist

Deck officer or marine engineer.

Contracts are usually 1:1, meaning you are away sailing for x amount of weeks and off for an equal amount of weeks. And it pays well. Around 3-4k$ monthly after taxes as a new officer, and around 8-10k$ for a captain/chief engineer.
This is for tankers/container ships, you can find people in offshore making more.

The downside is that life onboard is like being in prison. For me personally it was not worth it though. But if traveling is your nr 1 priority its a good fit.
07-18-2019 08:37 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sailor87's post:
Cortés
forgottenowl Offline
Game Denialist

(07-18-2019 08:37 AM)Sailor87 Wrote:  Deck officer or marine engineer.

Contracts are usually 1:1, meaning you are away sailing for x amount of weeks and off for an equal amount of weeks. And it pays well. Around 3-4k$ monthly after taxes as a new officer, and around 8-10k$ for a captain/chief engineer.
This is for tankers/container ships, you can find people in offshore making more.

The downside is that life onboard is like being in prison. For me personally it was not worth it though. But if traveling is your nr 1 priority its a good fit.

honestly I would do this but if not for the fact that it would so hard to maintain muscle mass onboard i would assume
07-18-2019 04:10 PM
advnturous1 Offline
Male Feminist

(07-17-2019 12:39 AM)JoeSomebody Wrote:  Airlines. Specifically pilot or flight attendant. The sheer flexibility we have, especially with seniority is something few other jobs can match. I'm not even talking about the travel related to the job, I'm talking more so on your free time if you choose to travel. Not to mention the massive discounts we get on most major airlines throughout the world.

I second this, although you will have to put in the time and work your way into a major airline gig. I'm a first officer at a major US airline. I make over $100k a year and have amazing scheduling flexibility, not to even mention the travel benefits. Most months I can get a solid stretch of 7-10 days off if I really wanted. My company lets you work as much or as little as you want. For instance this summer I'm busting ass and making 2x my normal pay and I'll probably take the whole month of October off without even needing to use my vacation time.

Next month my whole schedule is flying down to Colombia, sitting for a whole day (paid), and flying back to the US on day 3. I do that once or twice a week depending on the week. Mind you I went thru a lot of suck to get here but it's finally paying off.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2019 12:47 PM by advnturous1.)
07-19-2019 12:46 PM
sterlingarcher Offline
Chubby Chaser

Copywriting.

If you're in your 20's, and that's the lifestyle you want, put in the time, invest in mentorships (or work for someone established for nothing for a year), prove results and you'll be onto a winner.

You have to love digital marketing, and be always learning to stay at the cutting edge, and be the 'go to guy' in your space, otherwise you'll be competing with everyone else that can read and write.

But there are enough entrepreneurs out there who will pay one guy $20,000, even though 1000 others would try for free.
07-19-2019 03:45 PM
Easy_C Offline
International Playboy

>work 8-12 week projects
>paid by the hour

The best way to do that is to get in the door at one of the "Big 4" firms for 1-3 years to help with your branding and then strike out using the image and network you've built.
07-19-2019 09:19 PM
scotian Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

I've been working in oil and gas for over 12 years now and it's pretty good for a traveling lifestyle as you can take time off in between projects which is what I usually do or you can get on a rotation like month on/off. It's not a lifestyle for everyone though as most oil sites are in shitty places but once you're done the job you're free to go wherever you want. It's very cyclical too so there's ups and downs, it was awesome during the big oil boom of 2005-2014 but has been slow for almost five years now but I've managed to keep busy as I now do mostly maintenance work as opposed to new construction that I used to do.

Another good aspect is that you can get into a skilled trade relatively easy and start making money right away as an apprentice, no need to go to college or uni for a few years and accumulate student loans. A guy can start out making about $20/hour and depending on his trade can get up to the $35-50/hour range within a few years and there's really skilled guys out there making $60-100/hour but that's usually after a decade or so.

Of course, it's not glamorous work, you get dirty, it can be difficult at times and also a bit dangerous but it's decent work and if you get into a union then you can have pretty good benefits and a nice pension to look forward to.

If you want to get into oil and gas then I recommend a skilled trade that isn't limited to that industry, say a welder, boilermaker, pipefitter, QA/QC, etc. If oil slows down then those guys can work in nuclear, shipyards, power plants, green energy, etc.

If you're interested, take a look at this website: https://www.roadtechs.com/
There's lots of short term and long term jobs there, 2 weeks to 2 years type of thing, I saw a gig in the Marshall Islands and another one in Uruguay, too bad I'm not a US citizen! Lots of them are office type jobs on construction sites like scheduler/planner, procedure writer, etc. They're not all manual labour.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
07-19-2019 11:09 PM
Sewage2016 Offline
Game Denialist

Work on a global team for a Fortune 500 company. You will have the opportunity to rotate geographic regions also. I’ve literally had to turn down trips because they were too frequent, or send someone else. Once you get to a manager position you can pick and choose locations. For example, work a London/Madrid trip into the rotation outside of vacation. And if I want I do a local connection through a city where I know people.

The downside is you have to work while you travel but it’s great to go in the company nickel. I have hit 30 countries this way.

Sewage
07-19-2019 11:11 PM
InvisibleMe Offline
Male Feminist

(07-17-2019 12:39 AM)JoeSomebody Wrote:  Airlines. Specifically pilot or flight attendant. The sheer flexibility we have, especially with seniority is something few other jobs can match. I'm not even talking about the travel related to the job, I'm talking more so on your free time if you choose to travel. Not to mention the massive discounts we get on most major airlines throughout the world.

Boy is this worth while, knew a guy retired mid 50s, like you should be (but it's 70) in Australia and routinely had government departments ringing him up

Begging, literally BEGGING him, to come and train some air force pilots.

Unfortunately I am a loser at a supermarket, the plus thing is I can nick off every 6 months because they don't really need me.
07-20-2019 01:53 PM
jcrew247 Offline
Chubby Chaser

Have you thought about working at a travel agency? Or becoming a tour guide?
How much of a discount do wholesale tour companies get on airfare and hotel prices?

I know there is a special rate for travel agencies, which is why all the hotels complain about Expedia taking too large of a commission.
07-20-2019 02:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Seriously Considering Changing Careers To Get Out Of The States For A While Fitman2018 8 1,186 06-16-2019 08:24 PM
Last Post: Enhanced Eddie
  The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts Global Entry 1,385 534,669 03-25-2019 02:04 PM
Last Post: PrettyBoyAJ
  Looking for a good wingman to travel with me - Offering salary + travel expenses cove TravellingParty 160 22,994 02-14-2019 07:47 PM
Last Post: internetprince