I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

How glamorous is the corporate world really?
tugofpeace Offline
Chubby Chaser

How glamorous is the corporate world really?
I look at people like my friends who worked at companies like accenture, deloitte, earnst and young, etc, and they seem to get to travel all over, wear nice suits to work on occasion, get big bonuses, meet a ton of people (everyone has 500+ connections on linkedin), and they get prestigious job titles. One of my buddies is a product manager for a major tech company, another is a principal client partner for a huge software company. Another is a manager for one of those firms consulting practices.

I settled for an engineering consulting job paying $110k working 20-30 hrs/week in the oil/gas industry and feel like I've missed out on all of this and am regretting my situation. I never travel, work with nerdy people, never dress nice, or meet people. No women in engineering roles in my industry.

Have I exaggerated how glamorous it is?

The thing that discourages me completely is this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9EyK02X2nc
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2019 05:22 PM by tugofpeace.)
07-19-2019 05:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes tugofpeace's post:
Syberpunk
sterlingarcher Offline
Chubby Chaser

RE: How glamorous is the corporate world really?
Bro, forget it.

I worked for a law firm and I can tell you 99% of the lawyers there HATED their life... and it just gets worse.

The partners were married/divorced with kids in private school/university, making a TON of cash but utterly miserable.

The sad part is none of them will admit it. Especially the younger guys (your peers). There comes a point where sunk costs/obligation/responsibility are too great and they're trapped.

You're making $110k a year?

That probably puts you in the top 0.5% of the PLANET.

Your peers who are showing are masking an ugly truth, for the most part.

(And they're working for Epstein's mates)
07-19-2019 05:45 PM
[-] The following 21 users Like sterlingarcher's post:
redbeard, Monty_Brogan, Dr. Howard, Latan, kruger41, Vincent Chase, Player_1337, Kangaroo, RedKurrant, Handsome Creepy Eel, WalterBlack, ju1ce, PrimeTime32, jordypip23, AlexWW, jackgig, MusicForThePiano, Sankt Michael, bacani, Syberpunk, Nevsky
tugofpeace Offline
Chubby Chaser

(07-19-2019 05:45 PM)sterlingarcher Wrote:  Bro, forget it.

I worked for a law firm and I can tell you 99% of the lawyers there HATED their life... and it just gets worse.

The partners were married/divorced with kids in private school/university, making a TON of cash but utterly miserable.

The sad part is none of them will admit it. Especially the younger guys (your peers). There comes a point where sunk costs/obligation/responsibility are too great and they're trapped.

You're making $110k a year?

That probably puts you in the top 0.5% of the PLANET.

Your peers who are showing are masking an ugly truth, for the most part.

(And they're working for Epstein's mates)

Well my peers never flaunted anything, it's just that I get the perception they have an awesome work life. I'm guessing they work more but at the same time they get paid more and as a result, get to spend more on travel and other things.

Most of my work day is spent just doing pure work (no meetings) - I typically go hard for 5-6 hours then call it quits. I imagine their work day is full of interactions with coworkers and complex politics which isn't something amazing, but it's more interesting than just 5-6 hours of work then personal life. Just not sure.
07-19-2019 05:51 PM
mr_ks Offline
Game Denialist

Your work is much better than theirs. That life gets tiring and pointless very quick. Most of those 'professionals' are required to do shady business to get clients. The whole industry is corrupt and low (possibly negative) value-added. These guys get work from governments and large clients but it is all based on politics and presentation. Really, these skills should be in-house and not out-sourced, but these companies are part of the corrupt elite so it is a form of rent-extraction, elites get to cream off the government and large corporations at the expense of the public and worker. These jobs are better suited to women, I think men would find it much more difficult.
07-19-2019 06:10 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like mr_ks's post:
Dr. Howard, jordypip23
DonovanVC Offline
Chubby Chaser

110k for 30 hours a week? I would take that.

Corporate life can be rough. Lots of meetings. Politics. Def over 40 hours a week. The fatigue hurts your ability to do something great on the side, like spend time gaming, making friends, or hobbies.
07-20-2019 02:54 AM
[-] The following 5 users Like DonovanVC's post:
RedKurrant, Handsome Creepy Eel, jordypip23, jackthenerd, Nevsky
Mig Picante Offline
Chubby Chaser

Corporate world is not glamorous. Why are you regretting you situation? You have it good?

Number of LinkedIN connections ... who cares? I bet most of those people would not even reply if they messaged them.

The good news is one of the things you mentioned 'dressing well' you can start doing right now.
07-20-2019 03:09 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Mig Picante's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, ju1ce
Investment Bro Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

Been there, both in Finance as well as in eCommerce (my current industry).

There are some nice upsides. I've gotten to travel to corporate events where I've been well taken care of. I've spent weeks roaming new cities on the company dime, while networking with some of the brightest individuals in the tech space (think Google, Amazon, etc).

On the other hand, I've been worked to the bone on tight deadlines, sometimes working 14-16 hour days doing work I hate. I wasted countless hours in meetings. I lost the desire to lift and spend time with my girlfriend. I was burnt out. Plus, a lot of the people in my industry are very cutthroat and will play nice on the surface but sabotage you when they think your back is turned.

On top of that, I was doing something I didn't believe in.

I've since left and am working on my own hustles now, and even though I miss the huge paycheck and the consistency of it, I feel a lot better. My life is under my control now.

5 Week Strength Program Now Available
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2019 07:37 AM by Investment Bro.)
07-20-2019 07:33 AM
[-] The following 7 users Like Investment Bro's post:
Zenta, Mig Picante, PrimeTime32, jordypip23, bacani, Syberpunk, Nevsky
N°6 Offline
True Player

I am always surprised how much Americans earn on this forum. The OP earns more than regional directors in my former globohomo corporation I worked for.

The most glamorous thing I was involved in was seeing all the pretty female colleagues go to bright light awards dinners with middle aged directors, where they ALL won prizes for professional achievements that none of their colleagues saw them actually do.

Young corporate women move in influential circles with directors and clients from entry level. Men have to work themselves up for 10 years after which time, they will see it their reward to take the next generation of pretty young women to dinner (for female empowerment reasons of course, wink wink).
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2019 08:08 AM by N°6.)
07-20-2019 08:03 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like N°6's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, jordypip23, DiRocchio, jackgig, Syberpunk, Nevsky
N°6 Offline
True Player

...delete
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2019 08:13 AM by N°6.)
07-20-2019 08:12 AM
Captain Gh Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(07-19-2019 05:22 PM)tugofpeace Wrote:  I look at people like my friends who worked at companies like accenture, deloitte, earnst and young, etc, and they seem to get to travel all over, wear nice suits to work on occasion, get big bonuses, meet a ton of people (everyone has 500+ connections on linkedin), and they get prestigious job titles. One of my buddies is a product manager for a major tech company, another is a principal client partner for a huge software company. Another is a manager for one of those firms consulting practices.

I settled for an engineering consulting job paying $110k working 20-30 hrs/week in the oil/gas industry and feel like I've missed out on all of this and am regretting my situation. I never travel, work with nerdy people, never dress nice, or meet people. No women in engineering roles in my industry.

Clap2

The Grass is always greener on the other side... but believe me... you're in the sweet spot. Due to the difficulty of your job... you don't have to compete with women & high rollers... and do the politicking required to stay in your position with them around. Both blessings that many many men would die for in the current climate. I know talking to cute chick with the safety net of work feels good, but not dealing with the BS that comes with it is Better Trust Me! Work on the social aspects of your life in order to get the best of both world
07-20-2019 08:20 AM
[-] The following 7 users Like Captain Gh's post:
Dr. Howard, RedKurrant, PrimeTime32, jordypip23, NoMoreTO, bacani, Nevsky
N°6 Offline
True Player

I saw this begin to happen in the place I used to work.
07-20-2019 08:30 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like N°6's post:
Brodiaga, Laner, Kurgan, Renzy
Thomas Jackson Offline
Chubby Chaser

Very familiar with the companies listed above (work in a similar role) and I can tell you it's not glamorous most of the time. Travel is generally not to desirable locales, lots of free food though. Wearing a suit can be nice sometimes but certainly not a big perk.

Partners at the above do very well though. Pay at entry to mid levels is solid but given the hours/amount of work not great.
07-20-2019 09:51 AM
Dr. Howard Away
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(07-19-2019 05:22 PM)tugofpeace Wrote:  I look at people like my friends who worked at companies like accenture, deloitte, earnst and young, etc, and they seem to get to travel all over, wear nice suits to work on occasion, get big bonuses, meet a ton of people (everyone has 500+ connections on linkedin), and they get prestigious job titles. One of my buddies is a product manager for a major tech company, another is a principal client partner for a huge software company. Another is a manager for one of those firms consulting practices.

That video is cancer causing. Its full of so many deceptions.

It also led me to watch further recommended "big 4" work experience accounting videos. It sounds terrible.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2019 10:52 AM by Dr. Howard.)
07-20-2019 10:23 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dr. Howard's post:
NoMoreTO
GyopoPlayboy Offline
Recovering Beta

(07-19-2019 05:22 PM)tugofpeace Wrote:  I settled for an engineering consulting job paying $110k working 20-30 hrs/week in the oil/gas industry and feel like I've missed out on all of this and am regretting my situation. I never travel, work with nerdy people, never dress nice, or meet people. No women in engineering roles in my industry.

how are you not swimming in muff with all that free time off?
07-20-2019 11:24 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like GyopoPlayboy's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Zenta, Mig Picante
Kentemo Offline
Beta Orbiter
Gold Member

Dude, trust me, you have it way better! 100%.

There's a reason why most people only stay 3-4 years at those big 4.
You work 30 hours per week for 110k$ a year... You have time to work on travel, girls, dressing nice.

Travel for work is far far from ideal travel as well.
07-20-2019 11:38 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kentemo's post:
jordypip23
Brodiaga Offline
True Player
Gold Member

You have a great gig, don't regret your choices. Depending on your specialization, you can find an expat job in one of the countries ,where women are still women and men are still men, and move there. You can also find a month on/month off gig and travel a lot. The modern Western corporate world is bullshit and it's getting worse year by year. Your goal should be to stay as far away from these fucking clowns as you can, not to become one of them.
07-20-2019 12:05 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like Brodiaga's post:
BBinger, RedKurrant, jordypip23, Syberpunk
Easy_C Offline
International Playboy

Let's take the single most "glamorous" job: being an investment banker on Wall Street.

This thread should be very enlightening:

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/i...n-the-life
07-21-2019 01:08 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Easy_C's post:
jordypip23
Salame Offline
Game Denialist

(07-19-2019 05:22 PM)tugofpeace Wrote:  Have I exaggerated how glamorous it is?
Yes, I spend my time in a hotel or the office or the hotel bar, sure I get to travel and collect those sweet, sweet miles and points but I'm also deprived of anything after work when I'm in a third world cesspit unless I luck out with a foreign engagement which takes me to the capital city, I still do nothing other than hotel, office or hotel bar but at least I visited a different country!
07-21-2019 01:51 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Salame's post:
jordypip23
Deepdiver Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

If you are missing females in your orbit - find activities that females love and serve their real natures and become expert at those activities - buy a nice beach house and advertise on Couch Surfing or AirBnB in a manner that is very appealing to traveling Summer College Students - offer a bargain price and mention all the local amenities that would appeal to sexy youthful women. They pay cheap money for a private room and he invariably orders take out or cooks and they split a bottle of wine and mother nature takes over and more than one lass spent a weekend or week going to the beach and choosing to sleep in his bed after.

I know a guy in his 40s who did this at south beach and spends prime winter Models season there and is never lacking in multiple hot women looking to crash at his pad... he also works out in a Gym is buff as phock and teaches Yoga - ever seen a yoga studio - crawling with Yoga leggings model looking, young women. I am into photography and my go-to line is I just bought some new lenses and offer to take some free portfolio head and full body shots to test my new gear. A dope pad is just a prop as well as a write-off. Think out of the Box and spend your time off where the ladies flock to like pink flamingos. They tend to be more fun and much less cunning and manipulative than Corporate bishes.

Deepdiver the OG Hunter-Killer ... NBF - Nuke Boats Forever!
"You do not have to be a perfect person to be a perfect PATRIOT!"

Official Whitehouse.gov President Donald John Trump's real achievements: https://www.whitehouse.gov/trump-adminis...lishments/

Communist Freaking Red China's Plan to Undermine the USA and the West:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/up...18-PDF.pdf

The Naked Communists 45 Goals for the USA:
http://www.restoring-america.com/Documen...0NOTES.pdf
07-21-2019 04:02 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like Deepdiver's post:
redbeard, Manbeline, jordypip23, Syberpunk, AntoniusofEfa
Easy_C Offline
International Playboy

^^^^

He's got a point. Young Corporate females (sans a few of the Asians ones) are absolutely unfucking bearable these days. I try to avoid having anything to do with my firm's female undergrad hires because they almost universally fall into this bizarre archetype where they're unbelievably narcissistic, extremely try-hard, and toxically insecure all at the same time. They are constantly bragging about their own awesomeness, regard team work as little more than an opportunity to show off how hardcore and brilliant they are, and yet at the same time are visibly uncomfortable with social interactions....and this is at a firm where we are all by definition expected to have greater people skills than the business world at large so I hate to think what the rest of them are like.
07-21-2019 05:22 PM
[-] The following 8 users Like Easy_C's post:
Captain Gh, Brodiaga, The Black Knight, PrimeTime32, mr-ed209, jackgig, Nevsky, AntoniusofEfa
mr_ks Offline
Game Denialist

The professional-services, corporate world is hell. Workers do not stick together as workers have traditionally done in most economies. There are few 'standardised' skills, certifications, or bodies like guilds, everything is in-house and at the whims of the Corporation. This system works for the elites as they still control these Corporations with share-ownership and interests in the financial markets. I dont even know if these workers really end up with 'real' skills that can be applied to companies outside of major financial centers.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2019 08:40 PM by mr_ks.)
07-21-2019 08:39 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like mr_ks's post:
jackgig, Kurgan
WalterBlack Offline
True Player

Quoting myself from another thread:

(11-17-2018 06:27 PM)WalterBlack Wrote:  I’ve been working in finance corporate America for a couple of years now, at companies ranging from USD 500M to 50Billion revenue. Here’s some of my experiences.

Company 1

HR was run by a fat old white woman in her 50s. She was very humourless and people were scared of her. She sat on the other side of the building and whenever she was in my side of the office somebody was usually gonna get let go. Her nickname was “the Angel of Death”.

My first manager was a piece of shit and everyone hated him. He joked about beating women in a team meeting and some people reported him to HR. Nothing was done and he got promoted later. He was one of those guys who treated his bosses like gold and treated everyone under him like shit.

I later found another job and in my exit interview the HR lady informed me that I had to pay the company USD 7K because I had left the company less than 2 years after my green card was awarded. The company originally paid all my immigration fees and I signed and agreement stating that I was willing to stay for 2 years after my green card. I asked if her if the company would be willing to reconsider the amount because I also had a student loan to pay back. She said she would get back to me. I never heard from her again.

Company 2

My manager told me in a meeting that she felt that I was doing a good job, but the VP wanted to downgrade my performance so I am ranked below average. I was on the VP’s shit list because he and every other person above me had failed to review a presentation that I had made, and an error was pointed out to him by his boss. The HR lady I dealt with was 6 in her 30’s, about 20lbs overweight. I met her at a company bowling event before this and she seemed reasonably pleasant.

Since I was ranked below average I am put on performance improvement plan - I can tell I’m being fucked over during the whole process. In the middle of this a close family member passes away and I have to return to UK for the funeral. When I come back, they don’t give me a break and continue with the performance improvement plan.

I informed that I will either get demoted or fired. If I get demoted, that’s actually worse because it would mean all my prior experience was meaningless.

I get a doctor’s note and get 30 days off work. I managed to find another job and got the fuck out of there. HR wanted me to come in to do an exit interview and I only agreed to do it over the phone. I told her that I felt that I was being targeted by the VP and she disagreed with me so I thought “Fuck her” and I hung up.

Company 3

I was told by my VP that I was doing good work, and I was paid a full 12 months bonus even though I had only been there for 8 months. I was also told by him in January that I would be promoted by the end of the year. In February I have a new manager – this guy doesn’t like me.
I used to meet monthly with the CFO to discuss financials. My manager excluded me from these meetings because he said there’s not enough chairs in the office. He basically says that I am not good enough to work at my current level – he puts me on a Performance Improvement Plan and the same cunt VP who said he was going to promote me threw me under the bus. He took my manager’s side.

I have to meet weekly, with my manager, my VP and a HR lady. She’s a slim Chinese American 5. My performance improvement plan was for 30 days. After 30 days are up, I get called into a meeting room and I am informed that I will be terminated because I am not good enough to work at my current level. I was told my performance had improved, but that I was not consistent. (This is how they can keep you or fire you. If they want to keep you they will say” You’ve improved and we want to keep you on”. If they want to fire you, they can say you were inconsistent.)

The HR lady gave me a letter explaining healthcare benefits and I exit the building. I received my personal items from my cube in a box a few days later. Some of the items are broken and I fight for and get compensation from the company a couple of hundred dollars.

I am still on good terms with some of colleagues at that company. I find out a year later my manager got fired – apparently he pissed off so many people when he got me fired, that people just stopped talking to him.

Current employer

I get hired at a higher level than my last employer. I now manage 3 straight white males because as we all know, America disadvantages non-white people like myself.

At most of the companies I worked at, there was a recruiting team in addition to HR. Most HR women are fat, or getting fat. At my current employer one of the HR employees is a pale skinned black American woman who would be a 7 if she lost 150lbs. The head of HR is a skinny white lady in her 50s.

We used to have 2 recruiters – one was a hot blonde Albanian who was married to an American. According to rumours, she was let go because she spent USD 70K on recruiting agencies to hire 2 new employees. In a meeting with the CFO, he said what’s the point of the recruiting team if they’re using agencies? The other recruiter was a black male and he moved on to a much bigger employer.

I am currently in the process of getting a guy I manage fired. I didn’t hire him, he’s been with the company for over 6 months and he still doesn’t know what the fuck he’s doing. He’s so bad I only ask him to do menial tasks. I had a meeting with my manager and 2 HR ladies yesterday – both are white, one is skinny and the other is about 150lbs overweight. They said that they had prepared a file based on my and my manager’s input. We had to give examples of when he did bad work, and how he did no improve, even though we told him how to improve the quality of his output.

So they told me what do when I fire this guy:
  • Book a meeting with the guy in a meeting room near to a building exit in the afternoon. In the invite only mine and his name will appear. When the meeting happens the head of HR will join me in the room.
  • I will be a given a script before the meeting. It’s 3 lines informing him that he will be terminated.
  • I then leave the room and the other HR lady will come in. They will have him escorted out of the building and have his desk cleared.
  • There’s no need for me to explain to him why he was fired. California is an “At will” state which means you can fire somebody at anytime.
HR told me we had to have the file of examples ready in case he tried to sue us.

I would say from my experiences that HR is there to protect the company, not the employees. Also, I have never had any diversity training in the US - I've only had leadership skills, teamwork and technical training, earthquake safety and what to do when there's an active shooter.
07-21-2019 08:49 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like WalterBlack's post:
scotian, jordypip23, Kurgan
ju1ce Offline
Male Feminist

Corporate is not as glamorous as you may think, unless of course you're at a VP level and above. They get to have significant influence in the company, have handsome salaries, and cool perks like executive parties and travel accommodation on the company's dime.

I think you're doing very well for yourself at $100K a year with a laid back routine. You can apply your free time and make it your time like is no one's business. I'd recommend you start networking if you want to start a profile in the corporate world. I'm sure combining your skills with who-knows-you will lead to interesting opportunities.

I'm an accountant and from the outside the EY's / Deloitte gigs look super nice but they do 50 hr weeks when not in busy season and they mostly travel for work. Not so glamorous if you ask me.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2019 10:27 PM by ju1ce.)
07-21-2019 10:24 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ju1ce's post:
jordypip23
Graft Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

Tech sales can be some of the most glamorous shit once you make it big.

Imagine being in your 20's, negotiating eight (and sometimes nine) figure deals with the largest companies in the world, rebuilding their entire IT infrastructure, running meetings with C level execs.

I built this empire and I did it by myself. Nobody did it for me. Not Ivana, not Marla. Nobody! ~Donald Trump
07-21-2019 11:23 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Graft's post:
jordypip23, jackgig
tugofpeace Offline
Chubby Chaser

What if I wanted to work in software engineering? Not necessarily being a hardcore coder, but something in that or the tech industry?
07-21-2019 11:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I hate the corporate world, especially in IT Kaii 146 65,997 07-13-2019 05:36 AM
Last Post: Mig Picante
  The Corporate Life Lounge - career advice, stories, game etc. Dalaran1991 3 1,612 10-09-2018 08:02 AM
Last Post: Built to Fade
  [Making Money]  A Newbie’s guide to Navigating the Corporate Finance Environment - Part III Cobra 7 3,403 07-31-2018 03:22 PM
Last Post: Cobra