I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Orthodox Churches in Decline, Except in Ethiopia
Blake2 Offline
Beta Orbiter

Orthodox Churches in Decline, Except in Ethiopia
I've always been interested in Ethiopia and their culture. It seems like they have maintained their ancient faith and traditions better. Is anyone aware of some good books or documentaries on the topic of Ethiopian religion and culture?

Article from L'Espresso:

Orthodox Churches in Decline, Except in Ethiopia. A Survey

"Of the 260 million Orthodox Christians all over the world, fully 100 million live in Russia. But only 15 percent of them maintain that religion is “very important” in their lives.

These are some of the most conflicting data from the major survey that the Pew Research Center in Washington has published on Christians of the Orthodox faith:

> Orthodox Christianity in the 21st Century

With respect to Catholicism and Protestantism, which over the past century have expanded from Europe to the other continents and above all in Latin America and Africa where they now count the bulk of their faithful, Orthodox Christianity has remained concentrated with more than three fourths of its members in Europe, with the only big exception being none other than Ethiopia.

An exception that is not only geographical.

In Russia and in all the other countries with a predominantly Orthodox population, in fact, religious practice everywhere is very low, in spite of the fact that almost all of the faithful keep sacred icons in their homes.

In Russia, only 6 percent of the Orthodox go to church once a week, in Ukraine 12 percent, in Romania 21 percent, the European record.

But if one looks at Ethiopia, weekly church attendance characterizes 78 percent of the faithful.

In Ethiopia, the Orthodox faith has a particular profile. It accepted only the first three ecumenical councils, before that of Chalcedon in 451, like the Orthodox communities of Egypt, Syria, Armenia, India. But it is also distinguished by its Jewish features. It observes the sabbath rest, circumcises boys, and follows the dietary rules of the Jews. It recounts that three thousand years ago its emperor Menelik I, son of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba, brought the Ark of the Covenant to Ethiopia, where it is still venerated.

With respect to the Orthodox faithful of Europe, Ethiopia also distinguishes itself by its levels of certainty of faith in God. While in Russia only 26 percent of the Orthodox say they are certain of his existence, in Ethiopia the level rises to 89 percent.

The observance of fasting during Lent and on other days also registers a divergence. While in Russia this is practiced by 27 percent of the faithful, in Ethiopia it is 87 percent.

And then, in Russia 60 percent of the Orthodox believe in heaven and hell. In Ethiopia, 97 percent.

On the other hand, while in Russia 61 percent of the Orthodox believe in the evil eye, in Ethiopia it is much lower: 35 percent.

Circumscribing the survey to European Orthodoxy alone, the Pew Research Center has also ascertained that the inclination toward an ecumenical reconciliation with the Catholic Church is rather limited.

In Russia, 17 percent say they are in favor, 41 percent against, and another 41 percent did not respond. 32 percent are in any case in favor of Pope Francis’s efforts toward improving relations between the two Churches.

But to the request to indicate who is the highest authority of the Orthodox Church, capable of negotiating with the pope of Rome, the responses are divided.

In Russia 69 percent of the Orthodox point to Moscow patriarch Kirill, and only 4 percent to ecumenical patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew, who theoretically would be the “primus inter pares” of all Orthodoxy and is the one who for decades has maintained the most friendly relations with the papacy.

Also in Ukraine, in Romania, in Serbia, in Bulgaria, in Georgia the selection goes to the respective patriarchs, and not to that of Constantinople.

The only country in which Bartholomew obtains a narrow majority is Greece, with 56 percent of the selections.

But apart from Greece, in no other Orthodox country does the ecumenical patriarch of Constantinople exceed 10 percent of the votes."

Link:
http://magister.blogautore.espresso.repu...-a-survey/

A man should never be ashamed to own that he is wrong, which is but saying in other words that he is wiser today than he was yesterday.
-Alexander Pope
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2019 02:28 PM by Blake2.)
07-22-2019 02:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Blake2's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Handsome Creepy Eel, Laner, KnjazMihailo
Roosh Offline
Innovative Casanova

RE: Orthodox Churches in Decline, Except in Ethiopia
I knew I should get an Ethiopian waifu!

Banana

Roosh
http://www.rooshv.com
07-22-2019 03:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Roosh's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Emperor Constantine, KnjazMihailo, bacani
Dr Mantis Toboggan Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

There's an Ethiopian Orthodox church a mile or two from my house and 2-3 Ethiopian restaurants in the area, always thought that was interesting as the city I live in (Charlotte) doesn't seem to have a big Ethiopian population as far as I can tell but I guess however many we do have are clustered in my neighborhood.

I got my Magnum condoms, I got my wad of hundreds, I'm ready to plow!
07-22-2019 03:20 PM
Emperor Constantine Offline
Game Denialist

I would not put any faith in the statistics from the article. For example, way more people in Russia believe in heaven and hell than believe in God? I suspect the survey had a pretty small sample size.

However, I'd be willing to bet they're right about the health of the Ethiopian Church being much healtheir any European Churches. I mean, think of the vast difference between the Anglican Churches in Africa and the Anglican Churches in Western Europe. Africa seems to breed more devout Christians than the first world does.

In regards to the supposed decline of Orthodoxy...
Orthodoxy is experiencing a tremendous revival in Russia, as evidenced by the 6% of the population who now attend church weekly. Since the fall of communism, an average of 3 churches a day -every single day- have opened in Russia. As well as hundreds of monasteries. The Russian Orthodox Church was almost nonexistent by the time the Soviets were through - it is growing fast. They have a record high number of men preparing for priesthood in seminary as well.

Orthodoxy is also one of the fastest growing religions in the US, percentage-wise. 1 in 4 Orthodox Christians in the US right now are converts. We're one of the only Christian groups that's slowly growing, as opposed to slowly shrinking.

Of course, one can never really trust statistics. But the reporter saying we're in decline is just being sensationalist.
07-22-2019 07:53 PM
uncledick Offline
Chubby Chaser

Horn of Africa women are the hottest african women, its hard fact. Since Somalis are out of the question (duh Islam), maybe ethiopia is the place to find a godly girl.. so a good plan B if EEurope doesnt work out for me. Knowing Canadian immigration "preferences" it will be easier bringing a girl over from africa than ukraine!
07-22-2019 08:55 PM
Rorogue Offline
Wingman

(07-22-2019 03:14 PM)Roosh Wrote:  I knew I should get an Ethiopian waifu!

Banana

Don't need to go to Ethiopia for that, just stay in DC lol
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2019 09:18 PM by Rorogue.)
07-22-2019 09:17 PM
KnjazMihailo Offline
Recovering Beta

The Constantinople Patriarchy is a complete joke. It has been a complete joke ever since the Turks conquered it in 1454 AD.

Besides being subordinate to Turkish political authorities for nearly around 570 years, it's effectively also subordinate to NATO (since Turkey is subordinate to them), the USA and everyone can guess who else. I've been informed by Greeks that the current Constantinople Patriarch, Bartholomew I, is effectively an ethnic Turk or a cryptic Turk trying to excercise religious authority over Greeks.

Besides trying to subordinate the Greeks, the current Patriarch has been obsessed with pushing disunity among Orthodox Christians with the issue of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church separating from Russia, and he's been aggressively pushing for Ecunemicalism and Uniatehood.

There is a very good reason why most other Orthodox Christians consider the Russian Patriarch Kirill to be the real moral authority in the Eastern Orthodox world. Everyone who subscribes to the Constantinople Patriarch like the Ukranians do is a fake and gay Orthodox Christian.

As for the Ethiopians, they are technically not Eastern Orthodox Christians. They are actually Copts. They are much more similar in their religious outlook to Armenians than to Russians. Still, Ethiopia is much more traditional and devoted to its religion partly because of a different history to Russians and East Europeans, but also because it's simply an underdeveloped and historically geographically isolated African country which still has high birth rates and lacks access to modern technology.

"And guess what, you might have a feeling that youre destined for something else, and that any day now it will dawn on you, but it will remain that, just a feeling that you use as a crutch to never focus on anything", Beirut.
07-23-2019 07:02 AM
KnjazMihailo Offline
Recovering Beta

(07-22-2019 07:53 PM)Emperor Constantine Wrote:  I would not put any faith in the statistics from the article. For example, way more people in Russia believe in heaven and hell than believe in God? I suspect the survey had a pretty small sample size.

However, I'd be willing to bet they're right about the health of the Ethiopian Church being much healtheir any European Churches. I mean, think of the vast difference between the Anglican Churches in Africa and the Anglican Churches in Western Europe. Africa seems to breed more devout Christians than the first world does.

In regards to the supposed decline of Orthodoxy...
Orthodoxy is experiencing a tremendous revival in Russia, as evidenced by the 6% of the population who now attend church weekly. Since the fall of communism, an average of 3 churches a day -every single day- have opened in Russia. As well as hundreds of monasteries. The Russian Orthodox Church was almost nonexistent by the time the Soviets were through - it is growing fast. They have a record high number of men preparing for priesthood in seminary as well.

Orthodoxy is also one of the fastest growing religions in the US, percentage-wise. 1 in 4 Orthodox Christians in the US right now are converts. We're one of the only Christian groups that's slowly growing, as opposed to slowly shrinking.

Of course, one can never really trust statistics. But the reporter saying we're in decline is just being sensationalist.

Bullshit

"And guess what, you might have a feeling that youre destined for something else, and that any day now it will dawn on you, but it will remain that, just a feeling that you use as a crutch to never focus on anything", Beirut.
07-23-2019 07:04 AM
Blake2 Offline
Beta Orbiter

(07-23-2019 07:02 AM)KnjazMihailo Wrote:  Ethiopia is much more traditional and devoted to its religion

(07-23-2019 07:02 AM)KnjazMihailo Wrote:  it's simply an underdeveloped and historically geographically isolated African country which still has high birth rates and lacks access to modern technology.

Yes, exactly.

"Ethiopian modernity is a controversial area. Even more controversial is the balance between Ethiopian and so-called Western civilization. This is an easier-said-than done thing, which leads to polarized debates. On the one hand, there are those who celebrate modernity. On the other there are those who revile it. Ethiopia has been modern. But, it has never been fully modern. It has been ambiguously modern."

https://www.ethiopia-insight.com/2019/06...modernity/

A man should never be ashamed to own that he is wrong, which is but saying in other words that he is wiser today than he was yesterday.
-Alexander Pope
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019 09:37 AM by Blake2.)
07-23-2019 09:28 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blake2's post:
KnjazMihailo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Moral Decline Caused Crime, Not Poverty Manbeline 41 2,618 Today 05:26 PM
Last Post: Garuda
  The Orthodox Church Panteleimon 216 65,098 08-15-2019 04:41 AM
Last Post: MichaelWitcoff
  What is Orthodox Christianity? IronShark 113 9,543 08-07-2019 12:37 AM
Last Post: Roosh