I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Move to Warsaw or Budapest for ESL teaching with TEFL into something better?
The Catalyst Offline
Alpha Male

Move to Warsaw or Budapest for ESL teaching with TEFL into something better?
I'm currently more or less in Warsaw(temporarily in a camp a while away from it). From the limited amount I saw of it I liked it, seems good long term. I more or less didn't like Krakow. I loved Budapest. Haven't been anywhere else as an adult or really even teen other than NZ. Not really keen on gambling on another place unless I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it or would have good opportunities there.

I don't like moving around much(with the buses/trains) so I would try to stay in Warsaw if I can.

Applied for a working holiday visa in Hungary, so I might actually have to go back. If I do, I more or less would try to stay there(ideally).

I'll make a list of advantageous of both places from most to least important to map out my thought process.

Advantages of Budapest:

-Very familiar with it(well, a couple months)
-Very good city in terms of what I want with transit and nature and streets etc
-Joined a bunch of expat groups and know some hostel people
-Super pretty city
-Already getting a working holiday visa
-Probably better weather
-Probably more traditional/conservative(not really into pickup right now- though wouldn't mind it as such)
-Further south so less impact on sleep cycle

Advantages of Warsaw:

-From what I can tell, better economy/wages/job prospects
-Know some Polish people and get along decently well
-It seems easier for me to learn Polish than Hungarian, but I have had Polish people teach me but not Hungarian
-Hotter girls
-Don't have to move

The reason I am picking ESL teaching is I am getting a TEFL soon at a very discounted rate, and it seems like a viable path for a work visa and a decent wage to stay in a place I love and avoid a place I despise(NZ, and likely Aus). And also it seems I would be pretty good at teaching English and dealing with children. However I am open to other career options too.

Love to hear peoples' thoughts on this.
07-25-2019 04:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The Catalyst Offline
Alpha Male

RE: Move to Warsaw or Budapest for ESL teaching with TEFL into something better?
Bump, I'd really appreciate any help/direction I can get
07-27-2019 01:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My Life in Budapest- Sourcecode's Budapest Thread Sourcecode 366 208,269 Yesterday 06:13 PM
Last Post: rishboy77
  Teaching English Abroad speakeasy 1,014 446,514 08-06-2019 03:28 PM
Last Post: Kelent
  Budapest - Best City in Europe 2016 leanmeansexmachine 54 36,086 07-28-2019 04:44 AM
Last Post: SergioRamos