I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Using Forever Fluent to Make Learning Languages More Fun
whitewashedblackguy Offline
Recovering Beta

Using Forever Fluent to Make Learning Languages More Fun
I've been using a program called Fluent Forever to learn Spanish, and I have to say that I've been loving it so far. I made more progress in three months than two years of high school language class, and when you think about it, it really makes sense to learn like.

The method goes like this:

Learn the most common pronunciation rules
Learn the 650 top words
Learn basic grammar
Learn more words

The cool part is that instead of using translations for flashcards, you only use pictures. So instead of a pierna-leg card, you would use a pierna-picture of a leg card. For vague grammar, you remove the word that you want to learn from the sentence, and add a picture that helps you get the meaning of a word. For example, '____ does the fox say', plus a picture from the music video or something. This makes words and grammar stick in your head a bit easier, and is also way more fun than the normal way of doing things.

If you think this sound's easier than doing grammar exercises until you want to rip your eyes out of your socket, you should think about getting the book. Whats nice is that once you have the knowledge, it can be used for any language you want, even if it's some backwoods language that nobody talks about (although it can only go so far).

This method blows most school programs out of the water for me. The system is pretty broken imo, so broken that lots of people stop trying to learn after school, which is pretty sad. Hopefully some of you guys use this and find out that learning doesn't have to fucking suck.
07-26-2019 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like whitewashedblackguy's post:
Tactician, Vincent Chase, debeguiled
Captain Gh Offline
True Player
Gold Member

RE: Using Forever Fluent to Make Learning Languages More Fun
How would you compare it to Pimsleur (if you already used it of course)? Currently learning Japanese... and definitely willing to invest deep to be fluent in reading & writing
07-26-2019 03:18 PM
Kentemo Offline
Beta Orbiter
Gold Member

Interested in knowing more about this as well. Compared to other famous apps like Duolingo and Pimsleur, etc..
07-26-2019 03:23 PM
TooFineAPoint Offline
Alpha Male

One of my best friends has tried all the language learning programs and he swears by Forever Fluent.

I have seen him go from struggling, passable french to relatively easy convos.

He loves it so much that he just randomly gifted it to me before a trip to Italy to help me learn some Italian.

I can't say if it worked for me, because I didn't have time to make the flash cards before I left, so I just did a quick Michel Thomas course to be able to ask for directions and order food.
07-26-2019 03:23 PM
Recovering Beta

Haven't used pimsleur, but I can say for sure that it's better than Duolingo. I don't like Duolingo cuz it doesn't help me retain the words very well. Maybe it would be cool as a supplement though. For sure not as a main program.

Quote:... and definitely willing to invest deep to be fluent in reading & writing

You don't really have to invest much. You just invest the time to read the book, and buy the same resources you might use anyways, like a grammar book, dictionary and phrase book. The creator also has the 625 word list that are pretty helpful.

If you really want to boost your learning experience (and invest deep), you can go to the Middlebury Language School. The owner of Forever Fluent is pretty fond it. You can hear about his experience and the method in this TedTalk vid:

Quote:One of my best friends has tried all the language learning programs and he swears by Forever Fluent.

I have seen him go from struggling, passable french to relatively easy convos.

He loves it so much that he just randomly gifted it to me before a trip to Italy to help me learn some Italian.

I can't say if it worked for me, because I didn't have time to make the flash cards before I left, so I just did a quick Michel Thomas course to be able to ask for directions and order food.

Yep. I've done the same thing. It's pretty great to be able to have natives compliment my spasinh only after three months. Are you planning learn a language anytime soon?
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2019 11:10 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-26-2019 10:52 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like whitewashedblackguy's post:
Captain Gh, Kelent
Kelent Offline
Beta Orbiter

The biggest struggle in my language learning journey whether its with Chinese or Arabic or Russian is a lack of access to native speakers. Did you already have Spanish friends before you started learning the language? How did you go about making friends/using the language on a more regular basis? A lot of the retention I've found is by using and keeping phrases and words in my back pocket and using them whenever I get the chance. I was at a wine tasting with a Slavic wine seller. I asked her if she spoke Russian, on a hunch given the accent, and she started talking to me casually. Yes, this was a hunch and yes it probably could have backfired... but that's the shots in the dark I need to take in order to keep even remotely sharp with these languages, or so it feels like.
07-27-2019 01:44 AM
M161 Offline
Male Feminist

I recently started using Accelerated Spanish for learning Spanish. I highly recommend it. Ideally I think you would combine it with speaking with native speakers but so far its helped me start learning Spanish in a way no other program has.
07-27-2019 04:49 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes M161's post:
whitewashedblackguy
Recovering Beta

(07-27-2019 04:49 AM)M161 Wrote:  I recently started using Accelerated Spanish for learning Spanish. I highly recommend it. Ideally I think you would combine it with speaking with native speakers but so far its helped me start learning Spanish in a way no other program has.

This is pretty cool. Gabriel likes mnemonics too. I have a few to remember weird rules.
07-27-2019 08:24 AM
Recovering Beta

(07-27-2019 01:44 AM)Kelent Wrote:  The biggest struggle in my language learning journey whether its with Chinese or Arabic or Russian is a lack of access to native speakers. Did you already have Spanish friends before you started learning the language? How did you go about making friends/using the language on a more regular basis? A lot of the retention I've found is by using and keeping phrases and words in my back pocket and using them whenever I get the chance. I was at a wine tasting with a Slavic wine seller. I asked her if she spoke Russian, on a hunch given the accent, and she started talking to me casually. Yes, this was a hunch and yes it probably could have backfired... but that's the shots in the dark I need to take in order to keep even remotely sharp with these languages, or so it feels like.

Take those shots bro. It's easy to find Spanish speakers in America. I just start talking in Spanish and 90% of the time I'm right. You can use iTalki to connect with speakers of rare languages out here. Plus, they'll help you correct your mistakes more than a random stranger would on the street.
07-27-2019 08:29 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes whitewashedblackguy's post:
Kelent
Kelent Offline
Beta Orbiter

(07-27-2019 08:29 AM)whitewashedblackguy Wrote:  
(07-27-2019 01:44 AM)Kelent Wrote:  The biggest struggle in my language learning journey whether its with Chinese or Arabic or Russian is a lack of access to native speakers. Did you already have Spanish friends before you started learning the language? How did you go about making friends/using the language on a more regular basis? A lot of the retention I've found is by using and keeping phrases and words in my back pocket and using them whenever I get the chance. I was at a wine tasting with a Slavic wine seller. I asked her if she spoke Russian, on a hunch given the accent, and she started talking to me casually. Yes, this was a hunch and yes it probably could have backfired... but that's the shots in the dark I need to take in order to keep even remotely sharp with these languages, or so it feels like.

Take those shots bro. It's easy to find Spanish speakers in America. I just start talking in Spanish and 90% of the time I'm right. You can use iTalki to connect with speakers of rare languages out here. Plus, they'll help you correct your mistakes more than a random stranger would on the street.

Been using HelloTalk as well, its been alright. You probably have a lot more use with Spanish than I do with Russian or Mandarin haha.
07-27-2019 12:45 PM
Recovering Beta

(07-27-2019 12:45 PM)Kelent Wrote:  Been using HelloTalk as well, its been alright. You probably have a lot more use with Spanish than I do with Russian or Mandarin haha.

I do, until I want to travel to those places. It's really all about what interests you at the end of the day.
07-29-2019 08:38 AM
Cr33pin
[email protected] Offline
Alpha Male

I'm using it learn Russian vocabulary wish I found it sooner because it makes learning bearable.
07-29-2019 09:02 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like [email protected]'s post:
whitewashedblackguy, Tactician
Georgepithyou Offline
Banned

How does this compare to memrise and duolingo? Both of those were decent but I didn't retain much. Hellowtalk is good for serious language learners so avoid apps like speaky.
07-29-2019 08:50 PM
Recovering Beta

(07-29-2019 09:02 AM)[email protected] Wrote:  I'm using it learn Russian vocabulary wish I found it sooner because it makes learning bearable.

Same. If I found this in high school, I would be fluent in at least three languages by now.
07-29-2019 09:30 PM
Recovering Beta

(07-29-2019 08:50 PM)Georgepithyou Wrote:  How does this compare to memrise and duolingo? Both of those were decent but I didn't retain much. Hellowtalk is good for serious language learners so avoid apps like speaky.

Compared to Duolingo, the retention is ridiculously better. You can make sentences that are more relevant to you, and when you see visualize the picture you choose on your card, the word or grammar comes a lot faster. If I go back to duolingo, it would only be to find out how much vocab I have.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 09:58 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-29-2019 09:58 PM
Recovering Beta

A video of a guy going into the science of learning languages fast as shit. It seems like Gabriel watched this video and based his whole program off of it. Explains why it works so well.

African-Americans were horrified that the history of their ancestors was being, quite literally, whitewashed.
08-04-2019 09:31 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like whitewashedblackguy's post:
Tactician, [email protected], Dream Medicine
[email protected] Offline
Alpha Male

(08-04-2019 09:31 AM)whitewashedblackguy Wrote:  A video of a guy going into the science of learning languages fast as shit. It seems like Gabriel watched this video and based his whole program off of it. Explains why it works so well.

The part where he said 1000-3000 words give you 85-98% language coverage give me motivation.
08-05-2019 02:32 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like [email protected]'s post:
whitewashedblackguy, Cr33pin
Recovering Beta

Just wanted to share something else I love about this. When you're Googling the pictures for your vocab cards, you get to see what the word is used for, including if it's used for slang. For example, I Googled the word 'raw' in Spanish, and also found out that it's used for 'hungover'. I also found out that 'recoger' is to pick something up, but 'coger' is to fuck, somehow. Of course, knowing some basic slang will help us sound more like a local, and I'm sure we can't find meanings like that in a textbook.

African-Americans were horrified that the history of their ancestors was being, quite literally, whitewashed.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2019 08:24 AM by whitewashedblackguy.)
08-05-2019 08:21 AM
TooFineAPoint
Georgepithyou Offline
Banned

The Android app is a buggy mess, it keeps freezing and closing
08-07-2019 02:51 AM
Marmite Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

(08-07-2019 02:51 AM)Georgepithyou Wrote:  The Android app is a buggy mess, it keeps freezing and closing

It's working okay on my OnePlus 3T with the latest version of Android.

I've started using it to learn Brazilian Portuguese, and the vocab learning seems completely random. I'm assuming there is method in the madness, but it currently doesn't make any sense to me.

Some of the pictures are funny too. For the word package, there was the option of picking a man's bulge in his jeans. For wet, a picture of a woman who had wet herself.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2019 08:08 AM by Marmite.)
08-07-2019 08:06 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Marmite's post:
whitewashedblackguy
perros Offline
Game Denialist

Im trying to learn German, but I feel its so useless. No one outside of Germany speaks German.
08-07-2019 08:41 AM
Recovering Beta

(08-07-2019 08:41 AM)perros Wrote:  Im trying to learn German, but I feel its so useless. No one outside of Germany speaks German.

Actually, you'd be surprised.

08-07-2019 09:30 AM
puckerman Offline
True Player

This sounds very good, and I am so sick and tired of people recommending something just because it's free. I figured there some other apps out there that are better.

Has anyone here used Fluent U? One person recommended it to me.
08-08-2019 05:07 AM
Recovering Beta

(08-07-2019 08:06 AM)Marmite Wrote:  
(08-07-2019 02:51 AM)Georgepithyou Wrote:  The Android app is a buggy mess, it keeps freezing and closing

It's working okay on my OnePlus 3T with the latest version of Android.

I've started using it to learn Brazilian Portuguese, and the vocab learning seems completely random. I'm assuming there is method in the madness, but it currently doesn't make any sense to me.

Some of the pictures are funny too. For the word package, there was the option of picking a man's bulge in his jeans. For wet, a picture of a woman who had wet herself.

Haha good pics. Trust, there is a method to the madness. It'll be apparent when you start doing grammar.

08-08-2019 12:02 PM
Marmite
Recovering Beta

(08-08-2019 05:07 AM)puckerman Wrote:  This sounds very good, and I am so sick and tired of people recommending something just because it's free. I figured there some other apps out there that are better.

Has anyone here used Fluent U? One person recommended it to me.

I have not

08-10-2019 05:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Learning Languages Through Your Second Language whitewashedblackguy 19 1,163 07-27-2019 10:44 AM
Last Post: whitewashedblackguy
  Learning Japanese Matt3B 38 17,598 11-08-2018 01:27 PM
Last Post: Mksa21
  [Making Money]  How much money to save up before leaving the West forever SpursFan741 84 30,018 09-10-2018 02:08 PM
Last Post: SpursFan741