I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

ATM didn't dispense cash and the bank doesn't want to give it back
Handsome Creepy Eel Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

ATM didn't dispense cash and the bank doesn't want to give it back
So last week I went to an ATM in Croatia as usual, but the ATM didn't dispense any cash. It gave me a transaction confirmation as usual, but didn't even attempt to count any bills - it simply skipped that step.

I immediately went into the bank to complain and they denied any responsibility and told me to instead talk to my card issuer. I did, and the card issuer said that it happens occasionally and that the money is only pre-authorized (i.e. on hold) and will be returned to my account automatically when the pre-authorization expires in a week. So far, so good.

However, overnight the transaction on my statement changed from pre-authorized to completed, meaning that the bank that manages the ATM really went ahead and charged my account.

I contacted my card issuer and they told me that they can file a dispute with Mastercard 5 days after the transaction in order to get the money back, but that the bank should spot the error and reverse the charge in the meantime so it won't be needed.

I went to the bank again and the bank confirmed that they detected an error in their ATM regarding my transaction and that they agree that no cash was paid out. However, instead of simply giving me that cash or reversing the charge, they claimed that my card issuer needs to contact them with a "reclamation request" before they can release it to me.

My card issuer said that it's nonsense, no such document or procedure exists, and that they should simply give me the money immediately and if they don't we can file the dispute.

Is there anything else that I can threaten the bank with so that they stop being idiots and give me back my money? Some sort of complaint to the national governing body or consumer authority? Has anyone experienced something similar?

p.s. I am 100% certain of winning the dispute if it comes to that, but those disputes take up to 4 months and the amount in question is large ($800), so I'd prefer to not wait that long.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
07-28-2019 01:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Handsome Creepy Eel's post:
debeguiled, Latan, Tactician, Brazilianguy
debeguiled Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

RE: ATM didn't dispense cash and the bank doesn't want to give it back
I think you know the answer to this, but wish you didn't.

Maybe this is the ATM of the future, and instead of getting the bills, you are being directly given the commodity that backs it.

Anyway, sorry for the bad luck.

You have some red tape ahead.

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung
07-28-2019 03:20 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like debeguiled's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Davidovich
Jaydublin Offline
True Player

I had this happen once in Mexico. The ATM counted but didn't dispense. My bank in the US refunded me without much of a hassle. Maybe because I was a long time customer and had my business account with them or maybe the malfunction was easily proven.
07-28-2019 09:24 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jaydublin's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
choichoi Offline
Chubby Chaser

(07-28-2019 01:00 PM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  So last week I went to an ATM in Croatia as usual, but the ATM didn't dispense any cash. It gave me a transaction confirmation as usual, but didn't even attempt to count any bills - it simply skipped that step.

Sorry to hear that man. You passing through Serbia?
07-29-2019 04:19 AM
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(07-28-2019 09:24 PM)Jaydublin Wrote:  I had this happen once in Mexico. The ATM counted but didn't dispense. My bank in the US refunded me without much of a hassle. Maybe because I was a long time customer and had my business account with them or maybe the malfunction was easily proven.

Yeah, the crazy thing here is that the Croatian bank admits that it made an error and that it has my money, but refuses to return it.

I'm absolutely stunned by how brazen they are about it. If a merchant sold something, took the money and then discovered that his product wasn't actually in stock, would he just refund the customer right there and then, or get defensive and tell the customer to have his lawyer contact the store if he wants the money back? Insane.

I've had a similar case while abroad once, and the money was returned easily without any need for anyone to contact anyone else.

Quote:Sorry to hear that man. You passing through Serbia?

Thanks man. I'm not passing through Serbia, I live in Croatia, I just happen to have an American bank account.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
07-29-2019 04:29 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Handsome Creepy Eel's post:
Latan, Hillbilly
Malone Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

This sounds like a US bank not understanding what a bank in another regulatory environment (the EU or perhaps just Croatia) requires.

Shit's not as easy outside of the US when it comes to banks. I had someone get my Spanish CC# and buy some shit. I caught the transactions as they went through and went to the bank to get them to cut off the card within the hour. They did that, but were "unable" to stop the charges from being paid out. I had to go to the national police to file a police report and then return to the bank. They then started the procedure to get my money back. Several months later it was refunded.

TL;DR: Your US bank has no idea what is "nonsense" or not unless they're up to date on EU/Croatian banking regulations. I find that the US banks I deal with are generally completely ignorant about how things work outside their little world.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 05:43 AM by Malone.)
07-29-2019 05:43 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Malone's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, BBinger, Brazilianguy
Tigre Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

This happened to me a few times over the years, and I always got refunded.

The way it happened was making a claim for refund with my own bank. Any time spent dealing with the branch where the ATM is located is probably just wasted energy.

Don't be too concerned that the transaction went onto your statement. They will put another transaction reversing it, once the claim goes through.
07-29-2019 11:46 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Tigre's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Brazilianguy, Benoit
Tigre Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

(07-28-2019 01:00 PM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  I went to the bank again and the bank confirmed that they detected an error in their ATM regarding my transaction and that they agree that no cash was paid out. However, instead of simply giving me that cash or reversing the charge, they claimed that my card issuer needs to contact them with a "reclamation request" before they can release it to me.

This is probably correct.

(07-28-2019 01:00 PM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  My card issuer said that it's nonsense, no such document or procedure exists, and that they should simply give me the money immediately and if they don't we can file the dispute.

This is probably wrong - suggest asking again.

Or maybe what this bank calls filing the dispute is the same as making the refund request.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 11:51 AM by Tigre.)
07-29-2019 11:50 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Tigre's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Brazilianguy
Tactician Offline
Chubby Chaser

What pisses me off about situations like this is that they give you the run-around as if your time is worth nothing.

A lighter version happened to me at an ATM once. Withdrew $300, it gave me $250. Told the counter. They said they'd have to count the money in the machine.

Luckily a older Chinese lady walked up a minute after that. She had used the ATM too and it gave her really crumpled up bills.

The manager heard both our conversations so they just gave me the money on the spot.

Wishing you best of luck. In an ideal world, you'd get some sort of compensation for the time this costs you.
07-29-2019 02:47 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Tactician's post:
Latan, Handsome Creepy Eel, BBinger
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(07-29-2019 11:50 AM)Tigre Wrote:  
(07-28-2019 01:00 PM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  I went to the bank again and the bank confirmed that they detected an error in their ATM regarding my transaction and that they agree that no cash was paid out. However, instead of simply giving me that cash or reversing the charge, they claimed that my card issuer needs to contact them with a "reclamation request" before they can release it to me.

This is probably correct.

Well assuming it is, it still shouldn't be me who suffers because of it so they should make an exception. I'm just an innocent passerby who didn't do anything wrong and it's not fair to snatch and keep my $800 for several months, especially in such a clear-cut case.

07-29-2019 04:43 PM
Caduceus Offline
Wingman

800 dollars is a lot of money to withdraw in a single ATM transaction.
How many times have you done this type of withdrawl before in Croatia ?
07-29-2019 08:31 PM
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

It's not common but I've done it at least 5-6 times before and never had a problem. Generally speaking, if the amount is too large for a single transaction or the ATM doesn't have enough cash, the ATM notifies you of that fact and cancels the transaction. It shouldn't cause it to freeze.

07-30-2019 05:26 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Handsome Creepy Eel's post:
Latan, BBinger
jimukr75 Offline
Game Denialist

Trials and tribulations of scammer countries.
07-30-2019 08:11 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes jimukr75's post:
Brazilianguy
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Update: After the bank shamelessly refusing to return my money several more times - including refusing to let me even talk to the manager - I finally lost patience and filed official complaints with the National Bank of Croatia and the Consumer Protection Agency at the Ministry of Economy.

Then I sent the bank a harshly-worded e-mail with screenshots and case numbers of my official complaints and further threatened them with calling the police, going to the media and suing them in court.

By the end of the week, the bank capitulated and called me to come to visit their branch, where they paid me the whole amount in cash and then sent me the following reply:

Bank Wrote:Dear Mr. ---

We would like to sincerely apologize for the unfriendly attitude of the branch personnel and for giving the impression that we did not care about resolving your complaint regarding the ATM transaction.

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience and hope that the positive resolution of this situation will somewhat diminish the negative impression of our bank.

Best regards,
Complaint management department

[Image: Feels_good_man.jpg]

08-11-2019 04:53 PM
[-] The following 11 users Like Handsome Creepy Eel's post:
Tactician, wwtl, BBinger, zoom, billbudsocket, Bizet, Nineteen84, Sankt Michael, Zenta, DJ-Matt, Benoit
Irenicus Offline
True Player
Gold Member

I wouldn't let them get away with this., to be honest.

If they did this to you, they can do this to someone else. Your Mum, the granny from your block etc.

Unsolicited advice - I would pull all my money from the account, close it, and then I would alert all relevant bodies (HNB, relevant agencies...). However, I wouldn't sue them...you'll lose a lot of time, nerves and money if you do that, and you won't gain much.

Ceterum autem censeo Scandinavia delendam esse.
08-12-2019 03:16 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Irenicus's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Suits, Tactician
BangBoy123 Away
Chubby Chaser

A Croatian cash machine will give you $800 in one transaction?
08-13-2019 11:05 AM
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Depends on the ATM, but I was told at the bank that it's not a problem for all of their devices.

08-13-2019 02:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pared: make extra cash doing restaurant gigs TigerMandingo 1 633 06-13-2019 04:13 PM
Last Post: Kelent
  Are there easier ways to get physical cash from banks? Kid Twist 8 2,053 04-10-2019 01:02 PM
Last Post: Polniy_Sostav
  Opening a US bank account from overseas JohnQPublic 0 754 07-15-2018 07:11 AM
Last Post: JohnQPublic