I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

My Conflict with Calling Africa the 'Motherland'.
whitewashedblackguy Offline
Woodpecker

My Conflict with Calling Africa the 'Motherland'.
Lot's of blacks here in the states will constantly throw this phrase out there: 'Man, I just wish I could go back to the motherland. I'm sick of all these racist crackers'. And at first, I used to think this way too.

We're black, so we should all just pack up our bags and move to Africa. But as I grew older, I learned some things about Africa.

I learned that kill each other just as much as we do in the Americas. Full blown war, with children and shit. And they still enslave each other, and have been doing so for centuries.

Hmm.

And then, recently, I learned something that I didn't learn at school. Africans didn't ban together to fight the whites (Portuguese, English, French and Dutch) that came to take my ancestors to pick cotton and tobacco.

On the contrary, they sold each other to the whites for guns and rum. And not only that, but they used the guns to fight other tribes, so they can get more slaves to sell. What kind of shit is that?Huh

That means, at best, my ancestors lost while defending themselves or surrendered to another tribe, who then sold them to the whites.

At worst, they were both fighting for the right to sell each other down the river, my family lost and the survivors were sold.

And neither option is comforting for me to think about.

Now that doesn't mean I would never visit Africa. I've heard great things about a few of the states from other blogs, so it's not off the table.

It's just that word 'motherland' seems like the wrong word to use. It almost feels like the word 'homeland' or 'paradise'. Maybe I'll just use the phrase, 'finding my roots' instead.

I just had to get this off my chest, or it would've bugged me for days. What are your thoughts on this? Do you still call Africa the motherland? Why or why not?

P.S: Found a pretty interesting article about being black in Colombia. If you want to read it, you can click here. A small thing he said caught my attention. The first half of this snippet sums up the feeling of the word 'motherland'. The second half; who knows. My mileage may vary.

Quote:Years ago, I visited Africa for the first time, Togo in West Africa. Excited about communing with my African brothers and sisters, I thought I would be the lost American brother returned home.

To my surprise, my supposed brothers received me not as a prodigal brother, but as an American visitor. My Americanism stood out as much as a white skinned colonizer.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 07:07 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-29-2019 06:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like whitewashedblackguy's post:
armenia4ever, MusicForThePiano, beta_plus
armenia4ever Offline
Kingfisher

RE: My Conflict with Calling Africa the 'Motherland'.
Some interesting observations - one's that I think go unnoticed in today's culture where people try to appeal to their distant heritage and ancestors for the sake of brownie points in social media squabbles.

This is going to be a long post.

Let's face it: One's motherland is where their family has lived for the past 100 years.

If you are at least 3 generations removed from where your ancestors and heritage is from, you can't claim to have much in common with them anymore besides DNA. Someone who has Irish heritage from when their family originally immigrated in 1900, but hasn't been to Ireland, doesn't speak Gaellic, can't make the traditional food, has never been to an Irish Mass, etc. virtually has nothing in common anymore with someone who LIVES in Ireland and was born there.

I worked with alot of actual Africans mostly Kenyans and Ugandans but I became a bit closer with one from Ghana and one from Liberia. It made me realize something. Almost no American Blacks have ANYTHING in common with people who actually live in Africa. This is even more the case if one has ancestors that came over before 1900.

For instance, imagine you have direct Kenyan ancestors, but are a 5th generation settler, immigrant, descendant of slaves. Do you speak Swahili? Have you ever lived even remotely close to community which is NOT multicultural or even has a few different ethnic groups, but is made up purely of Kenyans? How about eating the same foods? Sharing in similar traditions, cultural norms and morals, daily life situations and hardships - obviously much different then in the West?

People get culture shock from this who have an idea of going back to their "ancestral homelands", when they are really an entirely different people at this point. Doesn't matter if your ancestors were Swedish, German, or French. If you don't speak any of these languages, have never lived, let alone been there, have similar daily customs, etc then you have little in common with them anymore.

Americans who go back to Africa aren't looked at as returning fellow kin, but foreigners. Go to the wrong places in certain countries and you might end up being kidnapped and actually sold as a slave - and they won't care where in Africa your ancestors were from because you aren't one of them. In Ghana they won't even refer to you as Ghanaian regardless of your skin color or heritage because you aren't truly one of them.

Quote:"Many African-Americans who visit Africa are unsettled to find that Africans treat them -- even refer to them -- the same way as white tourists. The term "obruni," or "white foreigner," is applied regardless of skin color."

------------------------------------------------------------

It's also very easy to lose one's "culture". One of Kenyan friends has been studying in the US for 10 years. His kids when he and his wife first came over were young. When they all returned to Kenya, his kids were older teenagers, didn't speak Swahili, had no English whatsoever, preferred American food, entertainment, "customs" - basically media, concerts, music, etc, and didn't even like fubtol. (Yes, that's a big deal.)

Now imagine this over even just 50+ years of not living in one's motherland.

There's alot of conflict in Africa because its a very VERY different and diverse places cultural, ethnically, geo-politically, and there are conflicts, hatreds, and problems that "Africans" have with each other. Nigerians whose ancestors owned slaves and those that didn't. Liberians who came back post-American Civil War still have huge problems with Liberians who've been there for hundreds of years. It resulted in conflicts and finally a vicious civil war back in the 90s the country has never recovered from. Talk about solidarity and shared heritage huh?

Chances are whitewashedblackguy, that you have much more in common with your neighbors then you do with anyone who was actually born ANYWHERE in Africa.

I'm one to talk about all this. My username is "armenia4ever". I'm 50% Armenian even being 4th generation because my mom and my aunts were the first to marry outside of Armenian circles.

This has resulted in me barely knowing any Armenian at all, eating Armenian food mostly on Holidays and when I go down to the city, rarely going to an Armenian Orthodox Church except for funerals it seems, going to an Armenian fest maybe twice a year, etc. I seriously have to ask myself, what do I have in common with actual Armenians either born in Armenia or living there now?

Am I sharing in their current circumstances and hardships? Am I constantly worried about conflicts with neighboring countries spilling over? Am I close to the Nagorno-Karabakh region where there's literally mortars, machine gun fire, and rockets being traded off on a weekly basis?

No I'm not. I live comfortably compared to them. My kids won't likely know any Armenian or be obsessed with it as an identity. Perhaps they will know their ancestors were able to survive the Genocide, but does that make a strong and devout identity 100 years removed - especially geographically?

Your already at home in your motherland. I am too. Anyone who was born here most likely is. That's not a bad thing. It's just what happens when people are removed geographically from others over time. They both adapt the culture and identity of those that are now around them as well forge a new one with some remnants of the old leftover. That "old" though fades every generation that its removed from their ancestors original lands.

"Be a leader and never ever follow" That's what my father, that's what he always told me. So with those words boldly spoken, he sent me down a long and hard road.

My humble blog.
07-29-2019 07:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 10 users Like armenia4ever's post:
BBinger, whitewashedblackguy, NoMoreTO, rottenapple, Benoit, Goldin Boy, Handsome Creepy Eel, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Nevsky, MKDAWUSS
Tanapiko Offline
Sparrow

It's okay to have disagreements between brothers. And yeah you want to look at history? How many times white people started wars where they killed, enslaved each others? Arabs? asians? Natives?
Yet you have the guts to bash your people on a platform where folks blame the end of the world on us.
For what? For a pat on the back? You wish they tell you "we feel you, you know what ?we might need a black guy in our ranks? "
"whitewashedblackguy", what type of name is that?
What type of disloyalty is that?
Yes we are in bad shape. So what?
Get your shit together! Instead of working towards the change you want to see. You get on your laptop and write this BS?
You are straight up weak!
07-29-2019 08:24 PM
Black Caesar Offline
Woodpecker

What a dork.

It is literally the spot where all y'alls mothers are from.
07-29-2019 08:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Woodpecker

(07-29-2019 08:24 PM)Tanapiko Wrote:  It's okay to have disagreements between brothers. And yeah you want to look at history? How many times white people started wars where they killed, enslaved each others? Arabs? asians? Natives?
Yet you have the guts to bash your people on a platform where folks blame the end of the world on us.
For what? For a pat on the back? You wish they tell you "we feel you, you know what ?we might need a black guy in our ranks? "
Get your shit together! Instead of working towards the change you want to see. You get on your laptop and write this BS?

I already know everyone has been a slave at least once (hell, I think the Asians did it the worst. They were choppin off dicks and shit). If you clicked the link, you might have realized that. Don't make assumptions. And 'disagreement' is a pretty light term for selling your brothers to be slaves, don't you think?
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 09:47 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-29-2019 08:50 PM
Woodpecker

(07-29-2019 07:45 PM)armenia4ever Wrote:  Some interesting observations - one's that I think go unnoticed in today's culture where people try to appeal to their distant heritage and ancestors for the sake of brownie points in social media squabbles.

This is going to be a long post.

Let's face it: One's motherland is where their family has lived for the past 100 years.

If you are at least 3 generations removed from where your ancestors and heritage is from, you can't claim to have much in common with them anymore besides DNA. Someone who has Irish heritage from when their family originally immigrated in 1900, but hasn't been to Ireland, doesn't speak Gaellic, can't make the traditional food, has never been to an Irish Mass, etc. virtually has nothing in common anymore with someone who LIVES in Ireland and was born there.

I worked with alot of actual Africans mostly Kenyans and Ugandans but I became a bit closer with one from Ghana and one from Liberia. It made me realize something. Almost no American Blacks have ANYTHING in common with people who actually live in Africa. This is even more the case if one has ancestors that came over before 1900.

For instance, imagine you have direct Kenyan ancestors, but are a 5th generation settler, immigrant, descendant of slaves. Do you speak Swahili? Have you ever lived even remotely close to community which is NOT multicultural or even has a few different ethnic groups, but is made up purely of Kenyans? How about eating the same foods? Sharing in similar traditions, cultural norms and morals, daily life situations and hardships - obviously much different then in the West?

People get culture shock from this who have an idea of going back to their "ancestral homelands", when they are really an entirely different people at this point. Doesn't matter if your ancestors were Swedish, German, or French. If you don't speak any of these languages, have never lived, let alone been there, have similar daily customs, etc then you have little in common with them anymore.

Americans who go back to Africa aren't looked at as returning fellow kin, but foreigners. Go to the wrong places in certain countries and you might end up being kidnapped and actually sold as a slave - and they won't care where in Africa your ancestors were from because you aren't one of them. In Ghana they won't even refer to you as Ghanaian regardless of your skin color or heritage because you aren't truly one of them.

Quote:"Many African-Americans who visit Africa are unsettled to find that Africans treat them -- even refer to them -- the same way as white tourists. The term "obruni," or "white foreigner," is applied regardless of skin color."

------------------------------------------------------------

It's also very easy to lose one's "culture". One of Kenyan friends has been studying in the US for 10 years. His kids when he and his wife first came over were young. When they all returned to Kenya, his kids were older teenagers, didn't speak Swahili, had no English whatsoever, preferred American food, entertainment, "customs" - basically media, concerts, music, etc, and didn't even like futbol. (Yes, that's a big deal.)

Now imagine this over even just 50+ years of not living in one's motherland.

There's alot of conflict in Africa because its a very VERY different and diverse places cultural, ethnically, geo-politically, and there are conflicts, hatreds, and problems that "Africans" have with each other. Nigerians whose ancestors owned slaves and those that didn't. Liberians who came back post-American Civil War still have huge problems with Liberians who've been there for hundreds of years. It resulted in conflicts and finally a vicious civil war back in the 90s the country has never recovered from. Talk about solidarity and shared heritage huh?

Chances are whitewashedblackguy, that you have much more in common with your neighbors then you do with anyone who was actually born ANYWHERE in Africa.

I'm one to talk about all this. My username is "armenia4ever". I'm 50% Armenian even being 4th generation because my mom and my aunts were the first to marry outside of Armenian circles.

This has resulted in me barely knowing any Armenian at all, eating Armenian food mostly on Holidays and when I go down to the city, rarely going to an Armenian Orthodox Church except for funerals it seems, going to an Armenian fest maybe twice a year, etc. I seriously have to ask myself, what do I have in common with actual Armenians either born in Armenia or living there now?

Am I sharing in their current circumstances and hardships? Am I constantly worried about conflicts with neighboring countries spilling over? Am I close to the Nagorno-Karabakh region where there's literally mortars, machine gun fire, and rockets being traded off on a weekly basis?

No I'm not. I live comfortably compared to them. My kids won't likely know any Armenian or be obsessed with it as an identity. Perhaps they will know their ancestors were able to survive the Genocide, but does that make a strong and devout identity 100 years removed - especially geographically?

Your already at home in your motherland. I am too. Anyone who was born here most likely is. That's not a bad thing. It's just what happens when people are removed geographically from others over time. They both adapt the culture and identity of those that are now around them as well forge a new one with some remnants of the old leftover. That "old" though fades every generation that its removed from their ancestors original lands.

I had a gut feeling about a lot of what you said here. The ancestors of the people that sold mine must have passed down the same attitude. So many of our believes get passed down from generation to generation, so it only makes sense.

And I don't think it's a bad thing to be an American. While we do have several issues, and I do want to move out for a while, I doubt I'll ever be able to call any other place 'home'.

People are so focused on White Privilege that they forget about American Privilege. Just being an American opens up the door so wide for us, and we have so many rights and resources that other people just don't have. If we take the time to learn languages and skills, the world becomes our oyster. Thanks for taking the time to put all this information together.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 09:27 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-29-2019 09:06 PM
Woodpecker

(07-29-2019 08:39 PM)Black Caesar Wrote:  What a dork.

Hell, my great granny ain't even from Africa. And if she went, she would probably get called an "obruni". In other words, we're outsiders. And, yea, I might be 'in' Africa, instead of 'from' Africa, if other Africans didn't sell my 'mother' (actually, it would be 'father') into slavery.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 09:25 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-29-2019 09:14 PM
mr_ks Offline
Sparrow

Do you think Black American Culture is worse than Black African Culture? The answer will help determine whether you see it as a homeland.
07-29-2019 09:34 PM
Woodpecker

(07-29-2019 09:34 PM)mr_ks Wrote:  Do you think Black American Culture is worse than Black African Culture? The answer will help determine whether you see it as a homeland.

I don't have a problem calling America my homeland, although I don't fit in with the mainstream black culture too well. It's just weird for people to call Africa the motherland, when they don't even know the languages they speak, the current events, or the true history of the Atlantic Slave Trade. If more knew they were probably 'sold to their master', they might think differently about 'the motherland'.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 10:39 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-29-2019 09:43 PM
Kid Twist Offline
Hummingbird

Let me make this simple; you're not African. And there is nothing wrong with that.
07-29-2019 10:13 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like Kid Twist's post:
Cumlluminates, spokepoker, wi30, Goldin Boy, Handsome Creepy Eel, Nevsky
How Many Bothans Offline
Pigeon

I think people do it as a way to create and perpetuate a fiction about how they see themselves. It's no different than black people who get really serious about and try to internalize Black Panther and are always yelling 'Wakanda forever!'. Wakanda is not a real place and there is no Black/African civilization that is technologically superior to Western nations. Regardless, these people feel that the fiction is something to be 'proud' of. Similarly, I listen to stations here in NYC like WBAI where black people still push the pan-africa movement of Garvey. It's very prevalent among especially older blacks from what I've seen. And it's premised on the belief that if American blacks only had a place of their own, free from 'colonizers' and racists and 'Babylon', then they could achieve that fiction that you get with Black Panther (as an example), instead of the reality in which many of them find themselves. That is to say a permanent underclass in this country.

What's more, most of them don't even realize that, with the opportunities that this country gives you, they'd have a better chance of advancing and progressing as a people if they just put in some collective effort and started focusing on the right things here and now, rather than dreaming about going to Africa and trying to achieve something there. At least in my opinion. That's not to say there aren't opportunities in Africa, but honestly, if you can't take advantage of opportunities in your own country, how likely is it that you'll have what it takes to go to a completely foreign country and succeed?
07-29-2019 10:50 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes How Many Bothans's post:
whitewashedblackguy
BlackLeftLeft Online
Pigeon

Africans that come over here don't even like us. Anyone who has dealt with Nigerians in America know what time it is.

There's no such thing as African unity. The vast number of countries ,tribes, and different languages spoke make that an impossibility.
07-29-2019 10:58 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like BlackLeftLeft's post:
whitewashedblackguy, spokepoker, Solitaire, Handsome Creepy Eel, Nevsky
Woodpecker

Kinda random, if you want to go back, learn French. French is pretty common in Africa, and you'll have more (and better) resources to learn African languages, like Swahili (from what I hear).

After talking to a young lady for a while, she told me “Even though your skin is black, I can tell your heart is white.”
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 11:51 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-29-2019 11:08 PM
Woodpecker

(07-29-2019 10:58 PM)BlackLeftLeft Wrote:  Africans that come over here don't even like us. Anyone who has dealt with Nigerians in America know what time it is.

There's no such thing as African unity. The vast number of countries ,tribes, and different languages spoke make that an impossibility.

Yea, I heard that. Hell, I didn't like my African boss neither. Languages go a long way though. Like I just said, I would try to learn one of the major languages if I really wanted to go out there.

After talking to a young lady for a while, she told me “Even though your skin is black, I can tell your heart is white.”
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 11:21 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-29-2019 11:16 PM
Tanapiko Offline
Sparrow

(07-29-2019 08:50 PM)whitewashedblackguy Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 08:24 PM)Tanapiko Wrote:  It's okay to have disagreements between brothers. And yeah you want to look at history? How many times white people started wars where they killed, enslaved each others? Arabs? asians? Natives?

I already know everyone has been a slave at least once (hell, I think the Asians did it the worst. They were choppin off dicks and shit). If you clicked the link, you might have realized that. Don't make assumptions. And 'disagreement' is a pretty light term for selling your brothers to be slaves, don't you think?

Whatever makes you feel better bro. Are you close with brothers in America?
07-29-2019 11:18 PM
Woodpecker

@armenia4ever Damn. Just went through all the links you had. Feels like I just went through an intense history lesson.

07-29-2019 11:25 PM
Woodpecker

Quote:Whatever makes you feel better bro. Are you close with brothers in America?

Closer than with Africans. Hell, I'm even closer to brothers in Latin America than Africans, literally and figuratively. Now, if only my Spanish were a bit better...

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 11:34 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-29-2019 11:30 PM
Simeon_Strangelight Offline
Hawk
Gold Member

It is the African motherland - let's see - living there for hundreds of thousands of years vs living outside for a few centuries at best.

By the same measure - Europe is the motherland of European-heritage Whites, Japan is the motherland of the Japanese and China is the motherland of the Chinese.

Whether someone feels closer to the people living in the motherland - that is an individual point.
07-30-2019 05:06 AM
MusicForThePiano Offline
Woodpecker

We all pale in comparison to eldritch and ancient things that go unseen, and our blighted existence is but a speckle in the clouds, a grain of sand in the ocean, as if a colony of ants in a hole meters deep were to gaze up and see colossal titans passing through the stars. God only knows. I do view race quite offensively sometimes, but that's just my human side. Love, hate, pleasure, pain, life death, liberty, slavery, honor, betrayal. All histories contain these elements, some more than others.

Call Africa what you want, no one will tell you otherwise, and those that do cannot see beyond.
07-30-2019 05:44 AM
H1N1 Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

You're American, man. Don't overthink it. You live in the greatest country on earth, you were born there, you have the passport. The idea that Africa could be your motherland when everything you've ever known is America is absurd. The two are as different as it is possible for it to be, literally, on the planet. You're an American - be grateful for that every single day.

I'd also say that American's have a very weak relation to history by and large, because there is so little of it for you guys. That's ok, it frees you up for all that's ahead of you, in my view. Trying to draw on some long lost African history, and trying to feel close to it, is pointless.

From what you've described, you and your family are American. That's awesome, run with that, don't over think the colour thing. You have more in common with a white American than I do as a white Brit. It's a pretty cool thing, make the most of it.
07-30-2019 05:55 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes H1N1's post:
spokepoker
Woodpecker

(07-29-2019 10:13 PM)Kid Twist Wrote:  Let me make this simple; you're not African. And there is nothing wrong with that.

That was never the issue. I have no issue with being an American. I think armenia4ever gets it the best. My problem is with the word, 'motherland'. The word makes it sound like we will be welcomed into Africa with open arms or it's some kind of black paradise. That is for sure not the case

Look at Liberia. Freed slaves went back to Africa, and shit totally went to hell. So why do we still use the word motherland, when we are called 'ohu' and 'obruni' when we get there? That's my issue. I know we got roots there, but it ain't our motherland anymore.

(This post was last modified: 07-30-2019 07:22 AM by whitewashedblackguy.)
07-30-2019 07:01 AM
Aurini Offline
Ostrich

No different for me, brother. My blood might come from Italy - but I drive a cruiser, not a vespa. Heartbreaking in a way, being the child of a diaspora. Take what we can from the past - forge a new future for ourselves.

My website.
Now streaming on the DLive platform..
07-30-2019 07:22 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Aurini's post:
bucky, MusicForThePiano
bucky Online
Kingfisher

(07-29-2019 09:14 PM)whitewashedblackguy Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 08:39 PM)Black Caesar Wrote:  What a dork.

Hell, my great granny ain't even from Africa. And if she went, she would probably get called an "obruni". In other words, we're outsiders. And, yea, I might be 'in' Africa, instead of 'from' Africa, if other Africans didn't sell my 'mother' (actually, it would be 'father') into slavery.

It's common for people from "the mother country" to look down on or resent their diaspora, or just be uncomfortable with how different they've become over generations of separation. I'm white and my ancestors are mostly British and Scandinavian. Most Brits bristle and snark at the idea that white Americans are somehow their "brothers," even Americans whose ancestors are English. As far as the Scandinavians, I actually managed to track down some of my distant relatives in Sweden on social media years ago, but there wasn't much interest in getting to know each other or staying in touch. Looking back I realize I that a lot of that is probably because of cultural differences. Swedes tend to be shy and introverted and my typical American forward manner probably came off as over-familiar and made them uncomfortable.

Not sure if it's true, but I've heard that Africans have an almost universally negative opinion of black Americans, even worse than Europeans with white Americans. I imagine that's because of all the factors I mentioned above plus adding the resentment and shame of slavery to the mix.

Feminism in ten words: "Stop objectifying women! Can't you see I've hit the wall?" -Leonard D Neubache
07-30-2019 08:25 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bucky's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
bucky Online
Kingfisher

(07-30-2019 05:55 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  You have more in common with a white American than I do as a white Brit. It's a pretty cool thing, make the most of it.

As a white American of largely British ancestry who has worked for years with both white British people and black American people, I strongly disagree. My white English coworkers seemed almost identical to me culturally, the only significant differences being in accent and in the minds of the British. For better or for worse, desperately trying to convince themselves that they "aren't like the Americans" seems to be the strongest part of their national identity for the English, Aussies, and other Anglo-Saxon peoples nowadays, although in reality we are essentially the same people, differing from each other no more than white people in different areas of the US differ from each other.

On the other hand, my black American coworkers seemed to be from a very different culture in most ways. Sure, we had a few surface similarities due to having grown up in the same country, mainly in the sports we liked and superficial things like that. Still below the surface I had less in common with them than with any European, let alone the English.

Feminism in ten words: "Stop objectifying women! Can't you see I've hit the wall?" -Leonard D Neubache
07-30-2019 08:37 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bucky's post:
Simeon_Strangelight
Simeon_Strangelight Offline
Hawk
Gold Member

(07-30-2019 08:37 AM)bucky Wrote:  
(07-30-2019 05:55 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  You have more in common with a white American than I do as a white Brit. It's a pretty cool thing, make the most of it.

As a white American of largely British ancestry who has worked for years with both white British people and black American people, I strongly disagree. My white English coworkers seemed almost identical to me culturally, the only significant differences being in accent and in the minds of the British. For better or for worse, desperately trying to convince themselves that they "aren't like the Americans" seems to be the strongest part of their national identity for the English, Aussies, and other Anglo-Saxon peoples nowadays, although in reality we are essentially the same people, differing from each other no more than white people in different areas of the US differ from each other.

On the other hand, my black American coworkers seemed to be from a very different culture in most ways. Sure, we had a few surface similarities due to having grown up in the same country, mainly in the sports we liked and superficial things like that. Still below the surface I had less in common with them than with any European, let alone the English.

Exceptions don't matter. The cumulative results of the people are similar - Anglos and Western Europeans created countries like the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

Liberia looks like shit, because it was founded by black Americans - the top being similar to the US highly intelligent educated freemasons, but the averages of the population they had to work with were just not smart enough to recreate anything remotely reminding European-founded states.

Yes - there are smart black folk and if you put them into one country, then you would get a highly functional country similar to the Western ones, but there is no such place in the world - you would have to create it.

Even African-American culture deviates strongly both in terms of education, art, interests, economic output - and the reason is not racism.

And yes - obviously Africans will look at African-Americans differently as it's a different culture and history, but strangely enough the aggregate tirbal output is similar. Areas in Detroit and Baltimore are not that far apart from Africa. If the US instead of integration gave blacks in the US a couple states in the south and created a country, then you would see something more resembling Haiti or Brazil at best.

Still - I understand when some blacks feel far more in tune with Western culture, albeit I am not so sure whether they realize that they only like the good country Whites create while living on their own terms or whether they truly are more like Western people. Obviously smart blacks behave more similar to Europeans or Asians, but that is vehemently denied by the mainstream cultural marxists so you won't be able to get anywhere with that discussion.
07-30-2019 09:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Syria conflict thread Samseau 1,379 393,842 10-24-2019 11:22 AM
Last Post: Knight of Malta
  The life of a vietnamese beta in Africa SomeOneSomeWhere 8 1,682 10-14-2019 10:31 AM
Last Post: rpg
  Frenchman claims to have impregnated 600 women in Africa Roosh 46 7,114 10-07-2019 12:57 PM
Last Post: stpete