I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Health Guide to Floating and Sensory Deprivation Tanks
ActiontoKnowledge Offline
Game Denialist
Gold Member

Guide to Floating and Sensory Deprivation Tanks
What Is Floating?

Floating is a practice where you enter into a float tank (also called an isolation tank or sensory deprivation tank) which is a well-engineered enclosed tub filled with 10″ of water that has 800-1000 lbs. of dissolved Epsom salts in it. The individual lies down in the water and floats effortlessly in the nude.

The water is heated to the same temperature as the surface of your skin so that when the water settles and you remain relaxed and still, you do not really feel the water anymore. The tank is light-proof, sound-proof and has a neutral smell.

By removing the stimulus of the body and the stress of gravity, it frees up mental resources in the brain to explore new ideas, dive deep into their own consciousness and identity, visualize possible futures, reflect on the past and much, much more.

It was developed in 1954 by a neuro-scientist by the name of Dr. John Lily in the Institute of Mental Health. The idea of floating is to calm the nervous system and activate the parasympathetic response in which the body regenerates itself and re-establishes chemical balance in the brain – this includes reducing cortisol levels and absorbing the magnesium in the water which is a chemical that your brain does not naturally produce *

What Happens During a Float?

I have read estimates of up to 90 % of your neural power is used to calculate and compensate for the force of gravity. All forces of gravity on the musculoskeletal system and nervous system are eliminated from the extreme positive buoyancy; so imagine a space where you don’t feel, see or hear anything. When this cognitive load is removed from your neurons, they are free to do other higher level, cognitive tasks such as visualization and exploring the depths of consciousness.

The tank’s extremely unique environment is designed to allow for a minimal amount of sensory input to enter into your nervous system. This environment then has a plethora of benefits and applications for health, personal development, spirituality, and well-being. Decreased heart rate, cortisol levels and blood pressure are some of the potential benefits.

Potential Benefits:

+ Relaxation Response
+ Heightened senses
+ Pain Management / Endorphins
+ Increased immune function
+ Enhanced healing / rejuvenation / recovery
+ Musculoskeletal Awareness
+ Increased Stress Resistance
+ Meditation / Introspection
+ Chronic Stressor Relief
+ Behaviour Modification
+ Brain Synchronization
+ Visualization / Super-Learning
+ Sensitivity Buffering
+ Poor sleep/insomnia
+ Jet Lag / Shift Work
+ Anxiety, Depression and PTSD.

Floating for Newbs *

A basic session of floating costs about $40-50 CAD ($30 USD) for a 90-minute session in Canada. There are floatation centres in Austin, San Fran, London, etc.

The first session or two will be simply getting used to the sensation of being in a float tank. For some people who are claustrophobic or have never even meditated before, entering a dark tank filled with water alone only with their thoughts can be downright scary and unthinkable. However, once you learn to Let Go (a useful mantra), it becomes easier to settle into the float and get to the good stuff.

After a recommended shower, put some silicon or plastic ear plugs on which should be provided by the float centre (to prevent salt water from going into your ears), bring in a neck rest (optional, provided) and lower yourself into the tank and lie down gently on your back as not to disturb the water which would cause you to move around in the tank and bump against the sides. Closing the hatch door for total darkness is recommended but not mandatory.

Take some deep breathes, closes your eyes and repeat a mantra such as “Let go,” until you settle in about 10-15 minutes. Much like meditation, once your body begins to “melt” into the temperature of the water, you will be left with only your mind and thoughts. You may begin to notice your mind replaying memories of the past, thinking about the future, making plans, etc etc. This is normal. You are becoming the Silent Observer of your thoughts. Try not to judge. Just observe.

From here, whatever happens happens. You may fall asleep and dream in a deep theta state or simply choose to work on thinking / reflecting / visualizing. Every session is different, and it’s what your body / mind needs at the time. Try not to go in with too much of a goal-oriented focus as it goes against the whole notion of letting go of control or the illusion of control.

Some float centres will also allow you to float to a sound track, usually some sort of soft meditation-like instrumental music like those you would expect in a yoga class. Personally, I prefer the purity of the silent experience.

After about 90 minutes, the music inside the tank will come on, and you may be awaken as it’s time to exit the tank. Do it gently and slowly. Flex your fingers, wiggle your toes, and slowly get out of the tank to take a shower to rinse off the Epsom salt.

Floating Frequencies:

Lower Intensity
1 – 2 times / month

Moderate Intensity
3-4 times / month

High Intensity:
4-12 times / month

Other Tips:

- Avoid eating heavy meals or drinking a lot of water prior to floating
- Avoid alcohol or caffeine 3-4 hours prior to floating
- Get to the float centre early and hang out instead of rushing to an appointment at the last minute
- There’s nothing wrong with getting out to pee, or simply to take a break if it’s too much early on. Stamina inside the tank is built over time.
- In time you will get even more mileage out of double float sessions which can last 3-3.5 hours, resulting in a deeper experience where you really lose track of the sense of time

[Image: image2-3.jpg]

My Personal Experience with Floating

I have floated since 2013 for about 1-2 times per month and found it to be a tremendous tool in my personal development and physical / mental health. Every time I go in for a session, it acts as a “Reset” button on everything that’s happened in my hectic life and allows me a chance to process and reflect.

I always seem to come out of it feeling less stressed, more relaxed, with sharper senses and a greater sense of being in the moment. My sense of focus also seems sharpened afterwards and I can read a book and concentrate much better for a longer period of time without getting distracted. My vibe also seems more upbeat and positive and I sleep like a baby afterwards. This uptick in vibe and more being in the moment also translates to better results around women when I decide to go out and Game. It is definitely worth the few thousands of dollars I have invested into it over the years.

I’ve floated through injuries, traumatic life events, family issues, break-ups, between trips abroad, jet lag and can honestly say it’s helped me deal with a lot of the challenges that life has thrown my way. I've also floated through some major successes / milestones and it's helped me to appreciate them without getting too high or too low.

I carry a Float Journal with me and write down things on my mind before / during / after the float, and it’s been pretty incredible to look back over the years at all the goals I’ve set or visualized in the tank become a reality. I can honestly recommend it to anyone who’s a little burnt out and could use a periodic reset from the demands of modern life.

Over the years, as my practice has deepened, I’ve gone from simply using it as “an expensive way to take a nap” in the beginning (although sometimes it still happens if I go into a session super tired), to a more advanced tool to explore more esoteric concepts such as identity, the ego, the universe, etc etc.

Overall, I would recommend guys here give it a try for a few times to see whether it’s for them or not. The potential benefits are tremendous.

LTDR: Floating or sensory deprivation tank is like meditation on steroids. It promotes physiological benefits such as deep relaxation in the body, increases sleep quality and helps to take stress off the nervous system by temporarily removing the force of gravity from your body. It can also potential decrease recovery times in athletes and can also be used to promote mental health and treat mental health issues such as anxiety, depression and PTSD. For more advanced users, it can be used for deep mental development as a meditation tool for exploring the different levels of consciousness and beyond.

Datasheet: Vancouver, BC Guide: Floating & Sensory Deprivation Tanks
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2019 01:29 AM by ActiontoKnowledge.)
07-30-2019 12:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 9 users Like ActiontoKnowledge's post:
Tactician, Leonard D Neubache, Meliorare93, BlastbeatCasanova, Dream Medicine, Latan, Isaac Jordan, Charlemagne In Sweatpants, Thehustler
Leonard D Neubache Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

RE: Guide to Floating and Sensory Deprivation Tanks
Do they change the water each time or are you potentially swimming in someone else's pee?

Serious question and also a bump.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2019 04:12 AM by Leonard D Neubache.)
07-30-2019 04:12 AM
Game Denialist
Gold Member

At the float centre I go to, "the water is fully filtered 7 times between each float, passing through a hot tub caliber filter. The Epsom salts are a natural disinfectant and are at a super loaded amount." When you step out at the end of the session, the sensors go off and you can actually hear it working to recycle / re-filter the water

07-30-2019 12:54 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ActiontoKnowledge's post:
Leonard D Neubache
Thot Leader Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

Most places use pods with a filter clearly attached. I'm not sure how often they run the filter, but good point on the epsom salts, I imagine not much could live in that much salt. Also the rooms have a shower to use before and afterwards. I think it's pretty sanitary.

Although I did go to one place that used an "open concept" meaning there is no pod/tank for you to climb in, just sort of a big tub/pool that you lie in, and the entire room is light/soundproof. That was actually more comfortable for me than the pod. Anyway that one didn't have a filter, and they made you sign a waiver saying that if you foul the water you'll be charged like $1000 to clean the pool/replace the salts.
07-30-2019 01:04 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Thot Leader's post:
Tactician
BlastbeatCasanova Offline
Chubby Chaser

If you think about it in terms of the lifespan of the human race, a float tank is a pretty advanced piece of technology.

Nice write-up, I've been interested in trying it for a while and you sold me. I've only heard good things about it, Joe Rogan in particular raves about float tanks every now and then
07-30-2019 08:54 PM
Latan Offline
Alpha Male

I've read some reports, about people getting full fledged hallucinations during such sessions.
Helping them realise a better way to live.
OP, did it ever occur to you?
07-30-2019 11:43 PM
Game Denialist
Gold Member

(07-30-2019 01:04 PM)Thot Leader Wrote:  Although I did go to one place that used an "open concept" meaning there is no pod/tank for you to climb in, just sort of a big tub/pool that you lie in, and the entire room is light/soundproof. That was actually more comfortable for me than the pod.

That's pretty interesting. I've never tried that but would be open to it. Although that could potentially have more points for sound or a ray of light to sneak in. There are float cabins also where I go, which is roomier and less claustrophobic.

(07-30-2019 11:43 PM)Latan Wrote:  I've read some reports, about people getting full fledged hallucinations during such sessions.

Full fledged hallucinations, no. The closest I've come were vivid dreams and visualizations or just floating amongst the stars. Don't think I float often enough and my sessions are not long enough in duration to get to that level. I've heard of people smoking a joint or more before going in, that could make for an interesting experience but I've never tried.

07-31-2019 02:35 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ActiontoKnowledge's post:
Latan
Kona Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

I'm a floater. It's big where I live.

Don't go in there with a bad sunburn. Or any big cuts. A light sunburn it helps. If you go in drunk it sobers you up, or hungover, you're cured. Once this giant fat white woman came out before me and I made them change the water. I feel like I sweat in there, and god knows what was dripping off her.

Aloha!
07-31-2019 04:16 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Kona's post:
Leonard D Neubache, Thot Leader, ActiontoKnowledge
Leonard D Neubache Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Crisco.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.
07-31-2019 10:00 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leonard D Neubache's post:
Kona
Thot Leader Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

(07-31-2019 02:35 AM)ActiontoKnowledge Wrote:  
(07-30-2019 11:43 PM)Latan Wrote:  I've read some reports, about people getting full fledged hallucinations during such sessions.

Full fledged hallucinations, no. The closest I've come were vivid dreams and visualizations or just floating amongst the stars. Don't think I float often enough and my sessions are not long enough in duration to get to that level. I've heard of people smoking a joint or more before going in, that could make for an interesting experience but I've never tried.

I've found same. I would liken it to lucid dreaming where my imagination felt more vivid and fired up than it otherwise would. If you are into drugs you could combine THC/mushrooms/LSD (preferably microdosing) and get a more intense experience. I used to hit a portable vape (probably 10-20mg of THC) before going in.
07-31-2019 10:22 AM
yeppels Offline
Beta Orbiter

I've done this twice, and I enjoyed both times. I feel that to get the most out of this, meditation should be a regular practice, and you also have to float on a regular basis, at least once a month. Unfortunately in the places I've lived, it's about $60/hour session and I just can't justify spending that on what essentially is forced meditation. (although what does that say about me when I can easily spend that or more on a night of drinking or eating out heh)
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2019 11:26 AM by yeppels.)
08-02-2019 11:25 AM