Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Cambridge university student breaks open door of plane and falls to her death
Lovinglife Offline
Robin

Cambridge university student breaks open door of plane and falls to her death
Quote:A Cambridge university student broke open the door of a plane and fell to her death while on a research trip on Madagascar, local police have revealed.

Alana Cutland, 19, fell from the Cessna light aircraft during a flight back from a remote lodge where she was studying a rare species of crabs.

Investigators said the student suffered five “paranoia attacks” while on the “failed” research trip, which she funded herself.

Alana is understood to have fought off fellow passenger, British tourist Ruth Johnson, who had battled to try and keep her in the aircraft for several minutes.

The tiny propeller plane was rocking through the air as Ruth — the only other passenger — and the pilot grappled onto Alana’s leg in a bid to stop her from falling.

But local police said the 19-year-old managed to free herself from their “exhausted” grip high above the paradise Indian Ocean Island before falling into the wild Savannah below.

Police and locals have been trying to find her body in the remote Analalava region but fear they will never find her due to the remote location.

Local police chief Sinola Nomenjahary told how they had recreated the horrifying flight after taking statements from Ms Johnson and the pilot.

FELL TO HER DEATH

Images sent to The Sun show — in a recreation — how the passenger desperately clung to Alana’s leg before she let go through exhaustion around 15 minutes after takeoff on July 25.

“The Cessna C168 aircraft was taking off from Anjajavy with three people aboard, including Ms Johnson, Alana and the pilot,” Mr Nomenjahary said.

“After 10 minutes of flight, Alana undid her seatbelt and unlocked the right door of the plane and tried to get out.

“Ms Johnson fought for five minutes trying to hold her, but when she was exhausted and out of breath she let go.

“She dropped into a zone which is full of carnivorous fossa felines.”

She had been due to stay on the research trip for six weeks but cut it short after eight days.

BODY MAY NEVER BE FOUND

Alana had been due to stay on the research trip for six weeks but cut it short after eight days after speaking to her parents Alison and Neil Cutland, both 63.

Yesterday her parents paid tribute to their daughter.

“Alana grasped every opportunity that was offered to her with enthusiasm and a sense of adventure, always seeking to extend her knowledge and experience in the best ways possible.

“She was particularly excited to be embarking on the next stage of her education on an internship in Madagascar complementing her studies in natural sciences.

It’s believed she suffered a paranoia attack.

“Her thirst for discovering more of the world always ensured she made the most of every second of her action-packed young life.

Alana had been working on an animal biology project studying crabs on the shoreline and was hosted by the Anjajavy Lodge.

SUFFERED ‘PARANOIA ATTACKS’

She was due to be flying home when she fell from the small plane.

Mr Nomenjahary said the conclusion of their investigation was that it was an “intentional fall” and they were working with British authorities who were speaking to her family.

As well as the reconstruction, local police have interviewed management at the hotel, Ms Johnson and the pilot and searched Alana’s luggage.

They have also read through her documents and messages.

He added: “The victim is a student who has failed on research work and was asking for a lot of moral support.

“She had personally financed her research and had suffered a paranoia attack five times.

“Her stay in Madagascar was interrupted, instead of six weeks she was here for eight days.

“The witnesses claimed that Alana had difficulty managing her private life and her research.

“She was in regular contact by email with her parents to whom she receives moral support. She did not handle her stresses well.

“We knew she was getting some sort of plane trip last week to study the seabed on a neighbouring island, but then contact went dead and we started to fear the worst.
[Image: 34eb378346d9dfe61e19df4f2e3860f4]

[Image: d8cad9193de99019845f3399ae9e17f1]

ttps://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/cambridge-university-student-breaks-open-door-of-plane-and-jumps-to-her-death/news-story/314a342bf0ea527442366203aef21d66
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 12:19 PM by Lovinglife.)
08-01-2019 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
debeguiled Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

RE: Cambridge university student breaks open door of plane and falls to her death
This goes so far beyond all the recent deaths by selfie or swimming with sharks or whatever.

This girl was mentally ill.

Must have been a horror not only for her family, but for the poor people in the plane with her.

Sad and unforeseeable all around.

I don't even want to speculate about the research or what she was really like or if there were warning signs, or whether or not she has a thousand cock stare.

This is just a life cut short before it really started.

Too bad.

“That sig BTW is a very asinine anti-family anti-parent quote. You live in a country where 40% of children grow up without a biological father, yet somehow “the greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents”? Sorry but this is fruity Boomer nonsense.”

08-01-2019 12:17 PM
[-] The following 17 users Like debeguiled's post:
Cr33pin, NoMoreTO, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, kruger41, Captainstabbin, Buck Wild, MusicForThePiano, Aurini, ChefAllDay, Solitaire, Latan, Beyond Borders, Vincent Chase, beta_plus, Professor Fox, bacani, Davidovich
Cr33pin Online
Peacock
Gold Member

Rainbow RE: Cambridge university student breaks open door of plane and falls to her death
In before all the "Darwins at its finest" and "Good riddance" post from the internet tough guys on here that always gloat at the death of a young person.

This is a tragic case of someone with a real mental disorder that made a costly decision when she was in a full fledged mental breakdown. I feel sorry for her friends, family, and the other passengers on the aircraft.

It sucks she didn't get the help she needed before all this transpired

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 12:41 PM by Cr33pin.)
08-01-2019 12:39 PM
[-] The following 25 users Like Cr33pin's post:
debeguiled, Vienna, SvenTuga, polar, BoiBoi, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, arafat scarf, kruger41, spokepoker, Buck Wild, Days of Broken Arrows, PapayaTapper, Emancipator, MusicForThePiano, Swordfish1010, ChefAllDay, eradicator, Dream Medicine, Beyond Borders, pitbullowner, Vincent Chase, beta_plus, Professor Fox, bacani, Davidovich
Captainstabbin Offline
Hummingbird

RE: Cambridge university student breaks open door of plane and falls to her death
Girl kills herself by jumping out of a plane. It's sad and clearly she had major problems.

If a man had done the same it wouldn't be news.
08-01-2019 01:20 PM
[-] The following 7 users Like Captainstabbin's post:
debeguiled, MusicForThePiano, KnjazMihailo, Cumlluminates, Lovinglife, N°6, bacani
Dr. Howard Online
Crow
Gold Member

(08-01-2019 12:39 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  In before all the "Darwins at its finest" and "Good riddance" post from the internet tough guys on here that always gloat at the death of a young person.

This is a tragic case of someone with a real mental disorder that made a costly decision when she was in a full fledged mental breakdown. I feel sorry for her friends, family, and the other passengers on the aircraft.

I'll double the tragedy that this chick was able to get through to the upper levels of academia with major mental issues, and spend her own money researching crabs and no one had stopped her.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV
08-01-2019 01:39 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Dr. Howard's post:
kruger41, Days of Broken Arrows, beta_plus
la bodhisattva Offline
Kingfisher
Silver Member

(08-01-2019 01:20 PM)Captainstabbin Wrote:  Girl kills herself by jumping out of a plane. It's sad and clearly she had major problems.

If a man had done the same it wouldn't be news.

Wild stories of men meeting insane deaths do get media attention. However, not all, I'm sure. Often accompanied by some sort of criticism. Of course, women are always removed from responsibility and any woman who dies before 40 gets a little write up in the local media. At least.

Read headlines of tragedy and it's so stupidly obvious that I can't believe editors allow them to run. For instance, "Four Die in Tractor Trailer Accident on I-90, including One Woman." Or articles saying how it's a problem that 35% of the homeless population are now women.

The disregard for men is staggering.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 02:30 PM by la bodhisattva.)
08-01-2019 01:39 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like la bodhisattva's post:
Captainstabbin, Vincent Chase
Caduceus Offline
Kingfisher

How do we know she wasn't thrown out ?
This is africa we are talking about....and it was a tiny plane with space for only a few passengers.
08-01-2019 01:41 PM
jcrew247 Offline
Kingfisher

I would bet she had a bad reaction to the malaria pills.

DO NOT take anti-malaria pills because they will
give you insane terrible nightmares that will make you
think you are dying.
08-01-2019 02:18 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes jcrew247's post:
John Dodds
scorpion Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Women have so little agency and responsibility assigned to them that when a woman deliberately jumps out of an airplane (after fighting with a fellow passenger to do so for fifteen minutes), the press describes her as "falling" out of the plane. As if it just happened by accident.

"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” - Romans 8:18
08-01-2019 02:21 PM
[-] The following 8 users Like scorpion's post:
Captainstabbin, Buck Wild, Yatagan, KnjazMihailo, Huxley Badkin, Benoit, Professor Fox, bacani
Caduceus Offline
Kingfisher

No 19 year old girl western girl should be taking solo trips to anywhere in africa.
08-01-2019 02:22 PM
[-] The following 12 users Like Caduceus's post:
Captainstabbin, 911, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, MusicForThePiano, ChefAllDay, KnjazMihailo, Lovinglife, John Dodds, beta_plus, Cadders, Professor Fox, bacani
Days of Broken Arrows Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(08-01-2019 12:39 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  In before all the "Darwins at its finest" and "Good riddance" post from the internet tough guys on here that always gloat at the death of a young person.

This is a tragic case of someone with a real mental disorder that made a costly decision when she was in a full fledged mental breakdown.
I feel sorry for her friends, family, and the other passengers on the aircraft.

Environmental factors affect mental health. Stressful living conditions will bring out mental disorders that would otherwise lie dormant.

How much is the mental health of young women being damaged because parents put them in pressure-cooker situations -- like having to be the top dogs in school and dealing with harsh conditions while conducting "research" projects abroad?

I'd say it affects women a lot -- which is a big reason they're taking anti-depressants at such a record rate.

Historically speaking, women have tended to the home, the family, and the kids. It should stand to reason that trouble will follow if you push them outside of that realm to do what men have historically done -- compete, travel, and brave the elements and difficult people.

This doesn't mean women shouldn't be free to do that. Some women have always preferred the career route to having a family. Not everyone is cookie-cutter and there have always been female photographers, musicians, and reporters who traveled and didn't settle down.

But now that has become the norm -- and that's not normal for women. It seems like virtually all young women (and their helicopter parents) opt for the high-pressure career track. I think what we're seeing is at least partially the result of that. Maybe this woman would have always been wacko to some degree. But maybe if she'd led a different life it could have been kept in check.
08-01-2019 03:50 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like Days of Broken Arrows's post:
Thersites, KnjazMihailo, Cr33pin, beta_plus, beta_plus, Cadders
crystalcastle Offline
Sparrow

(08-01-2019 11:56 AM)Lovinglife Wrote:  Alana Cutland, 19

(08-01-2019 11:56 AM)Lovinglife Wrote:  her parents Alison and Neil Cutland, both 63.

Pretty old parents. That would make them 44 when she was born.
08-01-2019 04:09 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like crystalcastle's post:
Days of Broken Arrows, MusicForThePiano, eradicator
Thersites Offline
Kingfisher

Sounds like a case of paranoid schizophrenic, the sad part is it start to manifest on her trip where she couldn't get help.
08-01-2019 05:43 PM
Kid Twist Offline
Hummingbird

"Carnivorous fossa felines"? That seemed like such an out of place, after the fact and totally random detail I had to laugh.

"If the fall didn't finish her off, those flesh eating cats surely would have --- just to let you guys know."

LOL

Get your passport ready!
08-01-2019 05:53 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Kid Twist's post:
ChefAllDay, KnjazMihailo
Days of Broken Arrows Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(08-01-2019 05:43 PM)Thersites Wrote:  Sounds like a case of paranoid schizophrenic, the sad part is it start to manifest on her trip where she couldn't get help.

If she was already on anti-depressant meds, it could also be a case 1). Her developing toxicity to them or 2). Drug interactions with something like alcohol.

I've seen anti-depressants drive otherwise normal people into behavior that mimics paranoid schizophrenia. In one case, this resulted in the police having to break down a woman's door and remove her from her apartment. In another, a woman I know ended up dazed and wandering the streets.

Anything from alcohol to other drugs to weight loss will change the way your body metabolizes these drugs. The results can be disastrous. Most people do not need "head meds." Stay off them!
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 06:06 PM by Days of Broken Arrows.)
08-01-2019 06:05 PM
[-] The following 8 users Like Days of Broken Arrows's post:
Captainstabbin, Emancipator, spokepoker, Huxley Badkin, Cr33pin, Lovinglife, debeguiled, Benoit
MusicForThePiano Offline
Woodpecker

I'm just glad I don't have the insanity running through my mind that these unfortunate individuals do. Despite my shortcomings, which are many, I am connected to God, and he will not allow such delusions to take control of my actions.
08-01-2019 06:33 PM
RIslander Offline
Banned

What a dumbass.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 06:39 PM by RIslander.)
08-01-2019 06:39 PM
Aurini Offline
Ostrich

Guys... it could've just been a panic attack.

Yeah, we're all tough. I'm tough, you're tough, we're all tough. Guess what? We can still suffer a panic attack if the perfect storm hits us.

I'm ex-military. I know guys with PTSD. I'm one of the few men they'll speak to about it. I've been through similar experiences; overwhelming sensory input, the drives the mind into a fugue. This isn't somebody with a lifetime of major mental illnesses and criminal behaviours, who was entrusted with the safety of millions of people; this is a girl who panicked on an airplane, felt like the walls were closing in on her, and desperately needed to get out.

Have some frickin' sympathy.

My website.
08-01-2019 06:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 6 users Like Aurini's post:
PapayaTapper, ed pluribus unum, SlickyBoy, BoiBoi, debeguiled, Beyond Borders
Rorogue Offline
Banned

"Failed" research trip.

She tried to hit on some Tyrone's but they ignored her dumpy ass.

That's why all these girls go there anyway isn't it?
08-01-2019 07:11 PM
Repo Offline
Hummingbird

Tragic. These threads are great honey traps for identifying people to ignore in the future.
08-01-2019 08:22 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Repo's post:
wi30
Mr. Wolf Offline
Robin

There's no actual proof that this happened as stated. They only have the testimony of the two others in the plane. They haven't even recovered the body, and it's unlikely that they will bother to look for it in that remote terrain (and certainly not before it's devoured by animals). It is possible that they pushed this girl out of the plane against her will.

But I don't have any reason to doubt the official explanation. I only mention this because many, many young women are so completely flaky nowadays, and their life choices and social media posts are so hysterical, that a similar incident could happen with any one of them and it would be accepted without pause that it was a freak out / suicide / panic attack. Pretty fucked up.
08-01-2019 08:33 PM
SlickyBoy Offline
Ostrich

At first I was like WTF, how stupid, but when they threw in the bit about malaria meds, that's a different twist. If she was on Lariam (also known as Mefloquine) I can totally see how this was possible. Amazed they are still prescribing it, even in the UK.

That shit is messed up to the point where the American military rarely uses it anymore, unless there's no other alternative.

Ask me how I know. You're better off wearing lots of bug juice, ingesting prescribed antibiotics and taking your chances with the Malaria.

Twitter: @_slickyboy
Occasional contributor at Return of Kings (while it lasted)
08-01-2019 09:04 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like SlickyBoy's post:
jcrew247, Benoit
Easy_C Offline
Crow

This situation makes me wonder.

What if this WAS preventable and it was just our modern “celebrate women!” culture that saved her from getting the help she needed.

Think about. Could any if her peers or professors give her a mental health referral without being labeled as bigots who aren’t just afraid of a smart woman? Could any of her counselors give her the dramatic measures needed or provide her with a real path forward without the modern woman immediately rejecting it as shaming?

Not only are mental health issues on the rise but we have ties the hands of those who care enough to intervene and help.
08-01-2019 10:03 PM
jcrew247 Offline
Kingfisher

(08-01-2019 06:05 PM)Days of Broken Arrows Wrote:  
(08-01-2019 05:43 PM)Thersites Wrote:  Sounds like a case of paranoid schizophrenic, the sad part is it start to manifest on her trip where she couldn't get help.

If she was already on anti-depressant meds, it could also be a case 1). Her developing toxicity to them or 2). Drug interactions with something like alcohol.

I've seen anti-depressants drive otherwise normal people into behavior that mimics paranoid schizophrenia. In one case, this resulted in the police having to break down a woman's door and remove her from her apartment. In another, a woman I know ended up dazed and wandering the streets.

Anything from alcohol to other drugs to weight loss will change the way your body metabolizes these drugs. The results can be disastrous. Most people do not need "head meds." Stay off them!

She was likely given anti-malaria drugs for her trip to Africa.

Larium will give most people extreme nightmares and sleepless night sweats. Its is truly an awful medication and probably exposes people
to tiny bits of malaria to encourage resistance.

Either way, she was deemed sound enough to embark on a trip
to Africa. But the stresses of a different country, food, climate,
traveling, and most likely the medication triggered the panic attacks.
08-01-2019 10:56 PM
Thersites Offline
Kingfisher

(08-01-2019 06:05 PM)Days of Broken Arrows Wrote:  

Funny thing about medical science, the brain is still the black box for many. When giving drugs to a person, we playing a game of chance as the person's biochemistry may interact differently to medical or treatment. In the case of this girl if she was given antidepressant, then there should have been month trail period to she how she was doing with medication. If she was having any issue, switch to different medications to see what works.

In regards to your stance on the dangers of antidepressant, the question you should ask anyone who takes, who gave them the medication? The family doctor is not the ideal person to give the drug. A psychiatrist is the poor bastard that knows what work and does not work. He knows how much everyone varies with medication and just wants the one that works.

To be honest, I have no idea what happen to this poor girl. This wasn't random thot that did something incredible stupid that got her kill. This is girl that had something wrong with her that was out of her control and that tragedy. If she was anti-malaria meds, starting to have side affects of the medication, she should be able to stop and be fine.

Paranoid schizophrenic would fit what happen to her. It something that can happen sudden. Imagine this girl in the remote lodge trying to research her crabs as the auditory hallucination kick in. Soon or late, she leave the lodge and try to get home. Those auditory hallucination start to say to kill herself as she on the plane and she make final decision to listen to those 'voices'. Once she hit the ground, she had relief from the voice in her head.
08-01-2019 11:16 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Thersites's post:
Days of Broken Arrows