I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Living in Vancouver compared to Montreal
casa-nostra Offline
Chubby Chaser

Living in Vancouver compared to Montreal
So i hesitate to either stay in Montreal (safe choice ) or move to Vancouver.

my personnal choice will be vancouver ( no doubt , vancouver is hands down better than Montreal on everything ) but i am so worried about money and dont want to risk it .

I will probably open a business in the future , lets assume that will be the case i am looking for your help:

- Cost of living : i always heard that Vancouver is more than expensive , i looked at renting princes in Vancouver suburbs, like Barnaby and compared it to Montreal ( it is the same price , because if i live in Montreal i would only get a place with interior parking ), and yes i would be more than happy living in Barnaby than heart of downtown of Montreal. , car insurance is more expensive in Vancouver , but 100$ a month difference is not big deal.

- Traffic , congestion : Here i dont need much information , Vancouver wins . less population , and less construction. Can't remember how much time you loose with driving in Montreal (and time = money)

- Big advantage of Montreal , i have bigger local community , which helps a lot for referrals ( which is important when you open a business) , also french is my first language.

- I heard from many people and with my own research , that Vancouver is easier to live in , compared to Montreal. Winter made life harder , Business Red tape (Quebec has own rules , always make things tougher) , ....

- i am not a taxes expert , but apprently you loose much money in Quebec compared to BC because of the taxes

- Since life is more expensive in Vancouver , you will most probably charges your clients higher wages than in Montreal . so more money to make in Vancouver ??

Hard decision and need help , of course Montreal will be safer choice since i already have connections here ( i dont know anyone in Vancouver ) but i always that i can make connection with time.
08-01-2019 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Alpha_Ambitionz Offline
Game Denialist

RE: Living in Vancouver compared to Montreal
Why would you want to live in Burnaby? IMO, Vancouver is only worth it if you live in downtown or Kitsilano.

I was browsing Craigslist the other day and I actually saw some 1-bedroom condos in downtown going for 1k a month.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 10:46 PM by Alpha_Ambitionz.)
08-01-2019 10:35 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha_Ambitionz's post:
TooFineAPoint
joseph15 Offline
Game Denialist

1 bedroom condo in DT Vancouver for 1K? Sounds like a scam or a dump to me, if you check craigslist you'll see that the majority are in the 1800 - 2400 range (and sometimes higher).

Vancouver is only nice for 3 months of the year. Other than that, it rains nonstop which doesn't sound like a big deal until you actually live through it and realize what a big impact it has on your psyche. It's true that it doesn't get as cold here but the clouds/rain are brutal, and arguably more depressing than cold weather with clear skies. Everything is more expensive here since so many wealthy people live here and businesses can afford to jack up their prices. I'm no tax guru either, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it's no tax haven and the difference is marginal at best.

In the summertime it's gorgeous. The air is clean and so is the water. Vancouverites have a reputation of being superficial in general which I think most people would agree with. It's also an extremely liberal city (albeit like all of Canada, mostly) which might be a little different compared to Montreal in some ways but I wouldn't know for sure.

It's basically the Southern California/LA of Canada except shit weather. If you do have a business, you'll probably make more money here than elsewhere because of the sheer wealth in this part of the country.
08-01-2019 11:29 PM
Alpha_Ambitionz Offline
Game Denialist

Yeah probably a scam or a dump...

I would take downtown Montreal over Burnaby any day of the week. There's nothing to do in Burnaby unless you like going to the mall to hit on Asian chicks.
08-01-2019 11:50 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha_Ambitionz's post:
TooFineAPoint
casa-nostra Offline
Chubby Chaser

I compared 1 bedoom in burnaby vs 1 bedroom montreal with interior parking : i have found same prices
I would take burnaby day and night for two reasons : i hate living with quebecers (i wont get into details) and the weather and burnaby is some minutes away driving from downtown , so i can go party in DT in nighttime ( i only do nightgame anwway)
vancouver is rainy ? well yes thats not good , but when you spend half of the year in cold weather when sometimes you can't even breath , driving is extrem hard , which causes accidents . i would be so happy to live in the rain.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2019 02:11 AM by casa-nostra.)
08-02-2019 02:05 AM
Alpha_Ambitionz Offline
Game Denialist

How much were the 1-bedrooms that you were looking at?

I actually found a couple of 1-bedroom apartments in Kits and DT going for $1200:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/apa...50151.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/apa...73711.html
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2019 02:19 AM by Alpha_Ambitionz.)
08-02-2019 02:19 AM
chickenadobo Offline
Male Feminist

Fully furnished 1br condo in Yaletown area for 1.2k? I think there's more to that ad or it's a scam.

There's nothing much going on in Burnaby but it's not a bad place to live if you don't mind driving or taking the skytrain DT.
08-02-2019 09:27 AM
casa-nostra Offline
Chubby Chaser

(08-02-2019 09:27 AM)chickenadobo Wrote:  Fully furnished 1br condo in Yaletown area for 1.2k? I think there's more to that ad or it's a scam.

There's nothing much going on in Burnaby but it's not a bad place to live if you don't mind driving or taking the skytrain DT.

Yes i think could be a scam but in the same time , i dont think vancouver is as expensive as people are claiming. ( i think Toronto is more expensive , in the way that in Toronto prices are almost the same DT or subrubs)
I saw people complaining about traffic in vancouver ( its still a big city so thats normal , but i think traffic is 100 times easier than MTL and TO)
08-02-2019 11:45 AM
joseph15 Offline
Game Denialist

It is almost certainly a scam, they could net double the price for an apartment that good in such a prime location. The text is also sketchy "This is a very thoughtful, open plan" sounds like it was written by some foreign scammer.

If you live in the suburbs you could bring your costs down but if you want to live in the nice parts of Vancouver it'll likely cost you upwards of 3K per month for basic living. 1600-2000 for rent, 800 - 1200 for internet/phone/insurance/gas/food (gas was at $1.60 earlier this year), and if you wanna go out or buy yourself some clothes add another 500+ to that, depending on how much you spend in the clubs. That's assuming no unexpected bills pop up like car problems which could easily add a few hundred extra to your total bill.

If you eat just ramen noodles and live in a basement in surrey or burnaby you could probably get away with spending 1500 but that's a shitty life. It's a beautiful city and one of the best in Canada but Vancouver is like a 7 who thinks shes a 10. This price is worth paying for a city like San Diego but not Van IMO.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2019 01:07 PM by joseph15.)
08-02-2019 01:02 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like joseph15's post:
Pokerbaby, Laner
scotian Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

I recently got a job transfer from my company's Edmonton office to Vancouver but since I've been working out of town mostly, I still haven't moved there-I have most of my stuff in storage in Kamloops and am currently working in Prince George. From what I've seen, Vancouver is really expensive to live in if you want your own place but if you're willing to live in the burbs with roommates then it isn't too bad. I'm making more money in BC (my union rate increased by $4/hour and all OT is 2X) so the increased costs are covered, but IMO, the increased cost of living is worth it because of a better lifestyle. Anyone who has lived in Edmonton and Vancouver will likely agree that the lifestyle is much better in the latter, even if it does rain a lot, I'd rather deal with wet weather than a sunny day in February when it's -35C outside and my car won't start because I forgot to plug it in. In Montreal it snows like crazy, having to scrape ice off of your car and shovel your driveway sucks, so does driving in snow and on icy roads.

To me the only real downside of living in Vancouver is knowing that I'll never own a place there and have to rent, unless there's a real estate crash, so I'll be renting and stacking cash for a couple of years and look to buy a house in another city. BC is really busy now, it's almost like the Alberta boom days here right now. I'll be busy out of town until October or so and am still looking for a place to rent in the lower mainland so if anyone has a room or wants to get a place, let me know.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
08-02-2019 01:10 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like scotian's post:
blondebloode, Laner
casa-nostra Offline
Chubby Chaser

I agree with all what scotian said , i will also add , you need just an umbrella for the rain but when the wind of -15 to -25 get towards your face , you cant do shit .
Some have an idea about traffic , congestion in Vancouver ( reason why i left toronto is because i was passing 1 hour just to get some food from gorecery store , because of the congestion all day long) , montreal is less but have consutruction everywhere.

My main motivation to move vancouver are : weather and people ,other than that i am not kind of outdoor activiy or nature kind of person , my main entertainment is clubbing ( i enjoyed clubbing in Toronto a lot, i hated it in Montreal because thirsty mens are everywhere)

i have no idea about Vancouver nightlife but its a big city so should be fine.
08-03-2019 04:15 AM
Malone Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

Vancouver - weather's great if you like grey skies and light rain. Suicide weather. One year I lived there we had one (1!) week of sunshine in the summer.

Sure, there's more people. You think that's a good thing? I hope you like Chinese driving. And Chinese food. And signs in Chinese. And Chinese people everywhere. You think clubbing is bad in Montreal? Have fun. Big Grin

Burnaby is fine if you like a quiet life in a suburb. If you have to go into Vancouver from there it'll take you 45 minutes on the train.

You are under the impression that there are less people, construction and traffic in Vancouver then there is in Montreal? You are deluded.

Montreal wins, hands down. The women are better, the food is better and the city is better. This is from someone who has lived multiple years in both places. St Laurent in Montreal and in Vancouver I lived right near gastown and later out in Burnaby in a pseudo-acreage. Both had their upsides, but Montreal was way better.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2019 05:58 AM by Malone.)
08-03-2019 05:57 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Malone's post:
joseph15, TooFineAPoint
Kaizen Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

MTL hands down over Van and certainly Burnaby

Bags more character and soul and a better place for a single guy

Van is insular and new comers can find it isolating
Its a much better spot if you grew up there and have a crew or are in a relationship

The one negative of MTL are the bone crushing winters
08-03-2019 08:34 AM
scotian Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Montreal definitely has better nightlife than Vancouver, there's really no comparison, it's the best in Canada. Casa Nostra if you don't like outdoor activities and prefer nightlife then you'll likely be disappointed by Vancouver. Myself, I like to go hiking and especially fishing and scuba diving which is why I took a job in BC, it's one of the best places in the world for those activities and the seafood is amazing.

08-03-2019 09:45 AM
joseph15 Offline
Game Denialist

(08-03-2019 05:57 AM)Malone Wrote:  Vancouver - weather's great if you like grey skies and light rain. Suicide weather. One year I lived there we had one (1!) week of sunshine in the summer.

Sure, there's more people. You think that's a good thing? I hope you like Chinese driving. And Chinese food. And signs in Chinese. And Chinese people everywhere. You think clubbing is bad in Montreal? Have fun. Big Grin

Burnaby is fine if you like a quiet life in a suburb. If you have to go into Vancouver from there it'll take you 45 minutes on the train.

You are under the impression that there are less people, construction and traffic in Vancouver then there is in Montreal? You are deluded.

Montreal wins, hands down. The women are better, the food is better and the city is better. This is from someone who has lived multiple years in both places. St Laurent in Montreal and in Vancouver I lived right near gastown and later out in Burnaby in a pseudo-acreage. Both had their upsides, but Montreal was way better.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. The 2 best ways to describe Vancouver is suicide weather and Chinese everything/everywhere.

Clubbing isn't good. IDK who said there's no traffic or construction going on in Vancouver because it has a lot of both.
08-03-2019 11:27 AM
casa-nostra Offline
Chubby Chaser

(08-03-2019 05:57 AM)Malone Wrote:  Vancouver - weather's great if you like grey skies and light rain. Suicide weather. One year I lived there we had one (1!) week of sunshine in the summer.

So let me reply point by point

- Yes vancouver grey weather sucks , but i would take grey and rain over half year of intense cold

well i didnt want talk about game , but let me show you why Van city is 1000 times better than MontrShit.

- asians arent necessearly a bad thing, (it is even a good thing) even if iam not into asians woems, why ? because (and lets be honnest here) most of womens dont like asians guys , but some guys like asians womens , which makes ratio of picking up girls is advantage of mens ( what make Montreal sucks , is the opposite , city is full with blacks and arabs, while womens love blacks and arabs mens (having reputation to be bad boys , and they usually look way better than asians guys) , i rarely see a guy with black womens , specially those in Montreal (blacks womens in Toronto are hot though)).

also it is way easier to stand out and be exotic from competition in vancouver being hald asian city.

- I never said clubbing si bad in Montreal , i said it full with thirsty mens . The thirstiest and most aggressive i have seen in Canada.

- Well , for sure vancouver have less construction than MTL (known the city of construction) and less traffic (Vancouver have half Montreal population)

- Montreal is the best (just based on what you hear , and steryotypes ...) go live there to know whats is the real Montreal. in Montreal you can be rejected to enter clubs (saint laurent street) because you dont have womens with you (doesnt happens in other canadians citcies , and i have been to many , in Toronto they can reject mens and womens for the dress code ) and i can understand that , because ratio always sucks in MTL. If they let you in without girls , prepare yourself of cocks right and left (specially WINTER TIME , summer is ok in montreal because of the tourists).

- if i live in burnbay , i will buy a car of course , i wont take the train .

- YES i expect Montreal to have more clubbing options than vancouver (but that doesnt matter for me , because you will spend your night in one place not many) , another thing is good in Montreal (no cover , but i prefer paying and having a good night , then entering for free and be with those thirsty mens)

- Even if Montreal Nightlife is good , i dont think it is the best in Canada , Toronto hands down , have more clubs , bigger lineups , way waaaay better ratio . in Toronto you can party some weekdays . in Montreal 6 months of the winter is dead during weekdays.
08-03-2019 02:33 PM
MrRoundtree Offline
Wingman

My opinion is that if you don't like outdoors and skiing Vancouver is not really worth it, it's also extremely far from everything if you want to travel.

For skiing, probably one of the best place in the world. But life in Vancouver looks a bit depressing, I never met one single kid from Vancouver that became a good friend, people are a bit boring and superficial, weather is grey and rainy all the time, so it can get depressing.
08-04-2019 11:01 AM
Snag87 Offline
Beta Orbiter

"It's a beautiful city and one of the best in Canada but Vancouver is like a 7 who thinks shes a 10. This price is worth paying for a city like San Diego but not Van IMO."

Canadians generally can't work in the US; Vancouver is their best viable option. Easy to set your price high when your potential customers don't have access to superior options
08-04-2019 10:23 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Snag87's post:
MrRoundtree, joseph15
casa-nostra Offline
Chubby Chaser

(08-04-2019 10:23 PM)Snag87 Wrote:  "It's a beautiful city and one of the best in Canada but Vancouver is like a 7 who thinks shes a 10. This price is worth paying for a city like San Diego but not Van IMO."

Canadians generally can't work in the US; Vancouver is their best viable option. Easy to set your price high when your potential customers don't have access to superior options

Canadians can work in US with TN visa , North American Agreement (which is not hard to get) but i dont want to move to US right now , only considering Canada .

Yesterday i met a pretty cool guy from vancouver in a club here in Quebec city , he game a lot and he was honnest with , he moved to quebec city to learn french ( his description Montreal vs Vancouver was really good and looks real) , i Think i will pick up Montreal Finally .

So according to him :

Weather : There is no doubt here , Vancouver is 101 % better than Montreal , yes its grey and rainy but winter is short , doesnt snow and you can live . Montreal 6 months of strong clod non stop + driving , shoveling .. are aweful. Vancouver

Traffic : Both sucks , big citcies , traffic . but according to him , vancouver is still better . less people , less consutrction , less snow . Vancouver

Money : Here is the turn point , vancouver is more expensive as everyone knows , salary are higher in vancouver but For a French speaker (which is my case) . in Montreal you can save more money. Montreal

Gaming and womens : according to his discription , Vancouver womens attitude is almost like toronto but still better. So you will find those stuck up materialistic womens and you will find those down to earth ones usually 7/10 girls and less are not hard. But he Found that Montreal have another problem , which makes it worse . Ratio and attitude , Womens in Montreal arent materialistic but bitchier because of the options they have . in Vancouver you barely see a guy approching , in Montreal is hard to see a girl alone more than 1 minute before getting harassed bu horny mens and thats explain mtl womens bitch shield. he recommanded me other places , but this topic is only vancouver and mtl.
So for this Vancouver wins easily .

Montreal for my case have the advantage to be closer to my country

So money and proximity will made me (unless last second change) choose Montreal , i am just scared to take the risk and go to vancouver and get stuck there even though its a better city for womens and weather .
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2019 06:53 PM by casa-nostra.)
08-05-2019 06:51 PM
TooFineAPoint Offline
Alpha Male

(08-01-2019 10:35 PM)Alpha_Ambitionz Wrote:  Why would you want to live in Burnaby? IMO, Vancouver is only worth it if you live in downtown or Kitsilano.

This x1000000.

Do not overlook this sage and pointed advice.
08-05-2019 08:06 PM
casa-nostra Offline
Chubby Chaser

(08-04-2019 10:23 PM)Snag87 Wrote:  "It's a beautiful city and one of the best in Canada but Vancouver is like a 7 who thinks shes a 10. This price is worth paying for a city like San Diego but not Van IMO."

you mean competition matters a lot , more than how rich the people are in the city ?
08-07-2019 10:35 AM
authoritor Offline
Male Feminist

All the normal people who visits Vancouver falls in love with the city and the surrounding area. Some reasons are safety, true multiculturalism openess and nature. I spoke with countless people from around the world especially the USA and they came back to visit vancouver over and over again or some of them study here long term and looking to stay permanently. You get what you pay for here. For all the lost souls on the forum, this is a great place to find yourself. If there are any questions I'm here to help.
08-07-2019 01:35 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like authoritor's post:
Laner, scotian
Aquarius Offline
Chubby Chaser

Given that things are starting to get out of hand in Hong Kong and people from all walks of life are worried and pessimistic about its future (Hong Kong will never be the same again after these protests, no matter how you look at it), I would imagine another wave of Hong Kong millennial and even Gen-Z immigrants to Vancouver starting next decade.

From what I see so far, Vancouver is great if you want an Asian girl and will likely get better: probably the best place outside of Asia for Asian girls. On the other hand, I'm not sure about white Canadian girls in Vancouver: I've heard very mixed feelings about that. I have had negative interactions with Ontario SJWs but also positive interactions with country girls from the prairies, although the latter do seem to be more or less just as fat as Midwestern girls in the US.

Having strong ties to Hong Kong, I'm starting to contemplate whether establishing some connections with Vancouver would be beneficial for future business and networking reasons.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2019 07:39 PM by Aquarius.)
08-07-2019 07:36 PM
scotian Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

^There's some nice BC girls bro, especially the ones who will roll a reefer and gut a salmon.

08-07-2019 08:36 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like scotian's post:
rishboy77, Laner
Paig3 Offline
Banned

Here are my thoughts about Montreal/Vancouver.

Montreal

pros:

Unbelievably beautiful city. One of my favorite cities in NA.
Great food/coffee
Relatively inexpensive
Decent racial blend (let's not start a holywar here)

cons:

Winter. If you don't like winter - stay away. I like winter. So for me it's not a con.

Vancouver:

Pros:

Nature/climate. Definitely better.
I think that's pretty much it.
Close to WA.

Cons:

I like asians but Vancouver is like a branch of Hong-Kong. Not only that, but people really like to show of there. I have a certain background where I was close enough to some billionaires and I have never seen anything like that in my life except in Vancouver - everybody is showing off. For me that's gross. But if you like it - you might as well enjoy it.

Other than that it's just a preference of climate/location - if you like winter - stay in Montreal. If you don't - stay in Vancouver.

I want to come back to Montreal, but I don't want to come back to Vancouver/Toronto. Montreal is just a little cozy european city in the middle of NA. If only I could make my american paycheck there...
08-07-2019 11:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vancouver, Canada - Comprehensive Datasheet ActiontoKnowledge 42 18,355 08-18-2019 07:34 AM
Last Post: chickenadobo
  Vancouver Data Sheet WesternCancer 271 145,600 06-17-2019 06:53 PM
Last Post: scotian
  Toronto vs. Vancouver digitalamish 110 65,867 11-13-2018 04:16 PM
Last Post: rudebwoy