I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Anyone regret not joining the military or other masculine occupations?
sanbruno Offline
Game Denialist

Anyone regret not joining the military or other masculine occupations?
I spent the entirety of my 20s as a blue pilled liberal. I rejected discipline and sacrifice around every corner in favor of short term dopamine hits in the form of eating out, nightlife, travel, fashion, and living in "cool" neighborhoods. I blamed "society" for my pussiness and failures. Now that I'm in my 30s, I realize the military would have been exactly what I needed out of high school, in terms having a proper male influence and building discipline and confidence. Sure, my younger self probably would have brushed it off and left after my initial enlistment, but it probably would have instilled at least a little something more in me than my otherwise beta career and and courtship delusions. I'm currently contemplating the US Air Force (only branch I'm not aged out), or law enforcement. Though admittedly, part of me just isn't willing to start over at this point.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2019 02:25 PM by sanbruno.)
08-07-2019 02:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Maistre Offline
Game Denialist

RE: Anyone regret not joining the military or other masculine occupations?
A little but not really. I think all men feel this way (regretting not serving) a little. Obviously I half-assedly thought about it but I don’t think my skill set is best suited to soldiering. I’m sure I could make a mediocre grunt but I think my verbal skills are high enough that I’ll succeed elsewhere. I’ve considered doing the JAG program for law school but I probably can’t pass any sort of security clearance.

Funnily enough my two best friends from high school became commissioned officers last year, so I guess it makes sense I was a little attracted to the lifestyle. One of those guys is in a famous division serving in a combat arms branch, and he is legitimately the scariest fucking person I have ever met. Good justification for me to not join up - the guys who are supposed to be killers find their way there.
08-07-2019 02:46 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Maistre's post:
BBinger, MKDAWUSS
sanbruno Offline
Game Denialist

(08-07-2019 02:46 PM)Maistre Wrote:  A little but not really. I think all men feel this way (regretting not serving) a little. Obviously I half-assedly thought about it but I don’t think my skill set is best suited to soldiering. I’m sure I could make a mediocre grunt but I think my verbal skills are high enough that I’ll succeed elsewhere. I’ve considered doing the JAG program for law school but I probably can’t pass any sort of security clearance.

Funnily enough my two best friends from high school became commissioned officers last year, so I guess it makes sense I was a little attracted to the lifestyle. One of those guys is in a famous division serving in a combat arms branch, and he is legitimately the scariest fucking person I have ever met. Good justification for me to not join up - the guys who are supposed to be killers find their way there.

That's exactly why I never joined. My friends that joined were mostly meathead-ish stereotypical military types, and I was a college "educated" liberal that was going to clack away in some air conditioned glass and steel high rise, and voice my nuanced opinions on obscure ethnic restaurants on weekends.

In my early 20s I visited my friend on a Marine base and I frankly had my tail between my legs the whole time. Not everyone is cut out for gung-ho roles, but at some point in my 30s I got sick of constantly making excuses for why I couldn't do this or that. I realized if I had just grabbed my balls and thrown myself into the deep end in my youth, I would have been much better off in the long run.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2019 02:55 PM by sanbruno.)
08-07-2019 02:53 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like sanbruno's post:
Salinger, Syberpunk
Captain Gh Offline
True Player
Gold Member

I'm in the same boat as you... spent nearly all my career working among women due to my agreeable and patient nature... and recently all my professional stints have been Hell thanks to them! As long as you have Game and Frame... Masculinity is in you... and not reflected by what you do. If you have $$$ in the bank and can afford to stat over... that might be a good choice though! Also look for ways to see if you can potentially start a Biz with the knowledge you've acquired instead of starting over

That's my plan. Since I've moved around thanks to the abuse some of these harpies Gave me... I've got a vast knowledge of particular fields... and can easily do marketing for them down the line. Frame - Game - Level Up Your Skill - Then you potentially can get FU $$$ and not care anymore!
08-07-2019 03:00 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Captain Gh's post:
wisdom_187
sanbruno Offline
Game Denialist

(08-07-2019 03:00 PM)Captain Gh Wrote:  I'm in the same boat as you... spent nearly all my career working among women due to my agreeable and patient nature... and recently all my professional stints have been Hell thanks to them! As long as you have Game and Frame... Masculinity is in you... and not reflected by what you do. If you have $$$ in the bank and can afford to stat over... that might be a good choice though! Also look for ways to see if you can potentially start a Biz with the knowledge you've acquired instead of starting over

That's my plan. Since I've moved around thanks to the abuse some of these harpies Gave me... I've got a vast knowledge of particular fields... and can easily do marketing for them down the line. Frame - Game - Level Up Your Skill - Then you potentially can get FU $$$ and not care anymore!

Unfortunately my constant short term focus and lack of discipline meant I never built any $$$ in my 20s outside a modest 401k.
08-07-2019 03:08 PM
Manbeline Offline
Chubby Chaser

The current military is the least masculine it has ever been. Women in combat roles, affirmative action, pussyfying of military traits. And most of all, being the military of an increasing non religious country.

You're better off getting your own guns and defending you and yours. That's masculine.
08-07-2019 03:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Manbeline's post:
BigFellow
Dr. Howard Away
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

A Masculine/high risk job may be good to build character when you are young but have a plan to get out. I worked in a job through my 20s in which we had about 1 person die each year of our staff or a contractor. There were many more injuries in addition to that. I got out and took an office job by the time I was 30. Guys who lasted past 30 made it only with chronic physical ailments (back, knees, shoulders etc).

Martial arts is an excellent hobby route to build the same kind of character.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV
08-07-2019 03:44 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like Dr. Howard's post:
loremipsum, BBinger, The Black Knight, scotian, JiggyLordJr
How Many Bothans Offline
Male Feminist

Yes, this is the only regret that comes back to me over and over. I wanted to go to enlist in the Marines or perhaps wait to become an officer when I graduated college. I went to the recruiter and took the test (forget what it's called) during my junior year in college. But my sister talked me out of it. I ended up going to law school instead. Even with a scholarship, I ended up with 100k in loans and the kicker is that I don't even work as a lawyer.

If there was one thing I would do over again, it's the path I didn't take. But I guess that's hindsight and it's not uncommon with humans.
08-07-2019 03:56 PM
Foolsgo1d Offline
Innovative Casanova

At first I wanted to join the Royal Marines as I had few options and at the time it was the Afghan/Iraq war.

Boy am I glad my mother slapped some sense into me. Almost became a bankers wet noodle.
08-07-2019 04:22 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Foolsgo1d's post:
BBinger, Hillbilly
la bodhisattva Offline
Chubby Chaser
Silver Member

No. I'm an American. Therefore, I am not interested in fighting and possibly dying for the interests of Israel.
08-07-2019 04:27 PM
[-] The following 9 users Like la bodhisattva's post:
Salinger, Rorogue, BlastbeatCasanova, El Chinito loco, bacani, JiggyLordJr, Knight of Malta, Sankt Michael, Hillbilly
RIslander Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(08-07-2019 04:27 PM)la bodhisattva Wrote:  No. I'm an American. Therefore, I am not interested in fighting and possibly dying for the interests of Israel.

I agree with your statement. But soldiers don't fight for the reasons their handlers are pushing. They fight for each other. The love needed to die for one's brother is something that can only be discovered through violence and young high T men crave it.

If you're looking for a military job that's low danger and pretty awesome... Look at the Coast Guard. The CG has their shit together and are always prepared. The CG Reserves has what are called Port Security Units which are their expeditionary force and can deploy around the world. If you have a bachelor's degree you can join as a E-4. Shooting guns and driving small interdiction gunboats... Shit I would normally pay to do.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2019 04:54 PM by RIslander.)
08-07-2019 04:49 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like RIslander's post:
BBinger, scotian, MikeInRealLife
Only One Man Offline
Wingman

I think you'd have much bigger regrets if you had joined the military out of high school and gotten sent over to Iraq or Afghanistan to get killed or permanently maimed for a bunch of greedy bankers and blood-thirsty war criminals.
08-07-2019 04:54 PM
[-] The following 7 users Like Only One Man's post:
Graft, Yatagan, El Chinito loco, JiggyLordJr, Benoit, BigFellow, Hillbilly
Graft Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

(08-07-2019 02:23 PM)sanbruno Wrote:  I spent the entirety of my 20s as a blue pilled liberal. I rejected discipline and sacrifice around every corner in favor of short term dopamine hits in the form of eating out, nightlife, travel, fashion, and living in "cool" neighborhoods. I blamed "society" for my pussiness and failures. Now that I'm in my 30s, I realize the military would have been exactly what I needed out of high school, in terms having a proper male influence and building discipline and confidence. Sure, my younger self probably would have brushed it off and left after my initial enlistment, but it probably would have instilled at least a little something more in me than my otherwise beta career and and courtship delusions. I'm currently contemplating the US Air Force (only branch I'm not aged out), or law enforcement. Though admittedly, part of me just isn't willing to start over at this point.

In my mid twenties I had a similar feeling. I was tired of the corporate world, the feminized cubicle environment, the passive aggressiveness. I thought that a "masculine" environment like the military would be the answer. I looked into it and spoke with recruiters.

Maybe I'm just a pussy, but I quickly changed my mind. Your 20's was infinitely better than a military lifestyle. Living in a barracks, getting bitched around all day, hard labor, waking up at 4AM, no drugs.

There's a lot of things about the military that are masculine, but sacrificing your freedom to wake up in the wee hours of the morning to get bitched around by your superior for pennies is the antithesis of masculine.

The only possible pluses to this kind of life is the benefits you receive after and maybe the friendships that you make.

I built this empire and I did it by myself. Nobody did it for me. Not Ivana, not Marla. Nobody! ~Donald Trump
08-07-2019 05:09 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Graft's post:
BBinger
Solitaire Offline
Recovering Beta

I went into the US Marines out of high school. I look back on it all now, as a man about to turn 51 years old, and believe that although I made a fine Marine, I should have instead gone into the US Air Force back in the day. I could have retired from that service, as my father did. If I had stayed in the USMC any longer than the four year enlistment, I would have been looking at many tours of duty in those two decades.
08-07-2019 05:17 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Solitaire's post:
BBinger, beta_plus
Kona Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

The Republican Guard and Taliban and the rest of the terrorists regret ME joining the military...

My Navy days were some of the best ever. I think everyone should do it. Saw the whole damn world in those nine years and had a blast (literally) doing it. There's 10,000 skills I have now that so many other people don't have, and never will have. Plus, when something I don't like occurs, I get to preface my rant with "I didn't fight in two wars" for example "I didn't fight in two wars to come back to Popeye's and you be out of biscuits" or something like that.

Now, I am also glad I got out when I did. It's a young man's game. I would have wound up on a desk somewhere supporting the Afghanistan situation dragging on. And I found all the wmds so there was not much left to do.

Aloha!
08-07-2019 06:07 PM
[-] The following 10 users Like Kona's post:
RIslander, CaptainChardonnay, Avon Barksdale, Horus, scotian, bacani, JiggyLordJr, Jones, BBinger, Benoit
Thomas Jackson Offline
Chubby Chaser

Consider doing a combat sport - something like jiu-jitsu could give you a lot of that masculine aggression and competition. Don't worry about what you missed, make the time going forward count.
08-07-2019 06:09 PM
Salinger Offline
Game Denialist

(08-07-2019 02:53 PM)sanbruno Wrote:  ... and I was a college "educated" liberal that was going to clack away in some air conditioned glass and steel high rise, and voice my nuanced opinions on obscure ethnic restaurants on weekends.

For some reason I thought this was funny. Maybe because I can identify with this type of person more than I'd care to believe.
08-07-2019 07:32 PM
Rorogue Offline
Wingman

I regret not becoming a barrister. Dropped out at law school at 21 because I wanted 'freedom' and to pursue my 'creative side'. Did drunken stand up and ended up in rehab. Wasted my talent in my 20s.

Advice to young guys- get a skill that makes real $ in 20s. Will make you a better and stronger person.

I teach men and women about their soul.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2019 07:46 PM by Rorogue.)
08-07-2019 07:45 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like Rorogue's post:
Aurini, scotian, JiggyLordJr, RedKurrant, BBinger
Aurini Offline
True Player

(08-07-2019 06:07 PM)Kona Wrote:  The Republican Guard and Taliban and the rest of the terrorists regret ME joining the military...

My Navy days were some of the best ever. I think everyone should do it. Saw the whole damn world in those nine years and had a blast (literally) doing it. There's 10,000 skills I have now that so many other people don't have, and never will have. Plus, when something I don't like occurs, I get to preface my rant with "I didn't fight in two wars" for example "I didn't fight in two wars to come back to Popeye's and you be out of biscuits" or something like that.

Now, I am also glad I got out when I did. It's a young man's game. I would have wound up on a desk somewhere supporting the Afghanistan situation dragging on. And I found all the wmds so there was not much left to do.

Aloha!

Smoking Nazi: "Excuse me, sir, this is a non-smoking area, I'm going to have to ask you..."

Me: "That's a weird way to pronounce "Thank you for your military service, sir.""

Smoking Nazi: "..."

My website.
Now streaming on the DLive platform..
08-07-2019 08:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Aurini's post:
Kona, bacani
Avon Barksdale Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

(08-07-2019 05:09 PM)Graft Wrote:  
(08-07-2019 02:23 PM)sanbruno Wrote:  I spent the entirety of my 20s as a blue pilled liberal. I rejected discipline and sacrifice around every corner in favor of short term dopamine hits in the form of eating out, nightlife, travel, fashion, and living in "cool" neighborhoods. I blamed "society" for my pussiness and failures. Now that I'm in my 30s, I realize the military would have been exactly what I needed out of high school, in terms having a proper male influence and building discipline and confidence. Sure, my younger self probably would have brushed it off and left after my initial enlistment, but it probably would have instilled at least a little something more in me than my otherwise beta career and and courtship delusions. I'm currently contemplating the US Air Force (only branch I'm not aged out), or law enforcement. Though admittedly, part of me just isn't willing to start over at this point.

In my mid twenties I had a similar feeling. I was tired of the corporate world, the feminized cubicle environment, the passive aggressiveness. I thought that a "masculine" environment like the military would be the answer. I looked into it and spoke with recruiters.

Maybe I'm just a pussy, but I quickly changed my mind. Your 20's was infinitely better than a military lifestyle. Living in a barracks, getting bitched around all day, hard labor, waking up at 4AM, no drugs.

There's a lot of things about the military that are masculine, but sacrificing your freedom to wake up in the wee hours of the morning to get bitched around by your superior for pennies is the antithesis of masculine.

The only possible pluses to this kind of life is the benefits you receive after and maybe the friendships that you make.

The military is different for everyone, some people have good experiences others kinda meh, or just plain bad , However
The people who have never served have no idea what they are talking about.

"You either build or destroy,where you come from?"
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2019 08:50 PM by Avon Barksdale.)
08-07-2019 08:50 PM
BlastbeatCasanova Offline
Chubby Chaser

No, no regrets, it's definitely not for my personality type. I respect the service/those who've served, and I think that for the right person it can be a great life path
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2019 08:53 PM by BlastbeatCasanova.)
08-07-2019 08:53 PM
scotian Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

After I graduated uni I had two options; join the navy or move to Alberta. I lasted three weeks at basic officer training in Victoria before I got kicked out for discipline, I couldn't take all the yelling and told a couple of people to fuck off. So I was sent back to Halifax and promptly moved to Edmonton where an oil boom was going on and proceeded to make way more money than I would've in the navy. Looking back I do regret it in some ways as I could have had a decent career in the city where I'm from instead of living four time zones away from my family.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
08-07-2019 09:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
BBinger
DogLover Offline
Game Denialist

(08-07-2019 03:40 PM)Manbeline Wrote:  The current military is the least masculine it has ever been. Women in combat roles, affirmative action, pussyfying of military traits. And most of all, being the military of an increasing non religious country.

You're better off getting your own guns and defending you and yours. That's masculine.

I regretted not becoming a Marine like my dad. He was opposed to it, and wanted me to go to college. Of course, he was right. And when I see how the military is today, i'm sure glad I didn't do it. Then again, I went into the business world, which is ALSO the least masculine it has ever been. If I have to hear "Diversity is our strength, and isn't our new Pride Logo great?!?" one more time, I'm gonna go NUTS!
08-07-2019 09:49 PM
Kona Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

You get these license plates after you spread democracy

[Image: 0.jpg]

FYI that is not my license plate, i have them, but that's not mine.

Aloha!
08-07-2019 10:14 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kona's post:
whitewashedblackguy
Garuda Offline
Recovering Beta

Yeah I should have just gone into construction or a trade union instead of college. The military wasn't an option for me due to my medical history.
08-07-2019 11:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Health]  My Wing (soldier) is having Kidney Problems at 25-- A word of caution about military Heuristics 12 1,954 03-15-2019 03:30 PM
Last Post: jimukr75
  Joining the military. TheDuncan 63 16,598 02-03-2019 01:38 PM
Last Post: Dr Mantis Toboggan
  [Education]  Masculine Cooking Recipes? IronShark 29 10,897 11-22-2018 01:54 AM
Last Post: whitewashedblackguy