I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Business Leadership Lounge
Checkmat Offline
Alpha Male

Leadership Lounge
Come here for discussion on leadership, team-building and other concepts related to excelling in business, the military and other organizations.

1) Pro-activity: "With your approval..."

One concept I've been implementing at work lately is coming to my front-line managers with not just a problem, but with a solution.

If you are not in a leadership or managerial position (like I currently am. I am just a line worker) you can still exercise leadership and pro-activity. Too often I've either seen or been guilty of having an issue on my hands at work, and coming to my supervisor empty-handed, eg "Hey boss, XYZ is happening. What should I do?"

Instead of that, I've been having a lot of success with coming to them with both the problem AND the solution, eg "Hey boss, XYZ is happening. With your approval, I'd like to do ABC. Does that work?"

More often than not, my supervisor will blink his eyes once or twice and say "Sure, sounds good." or "Great, do it!"

You can see this sense of surprise and pleasure on their face that they don't have to rack their brains for a solution to the problem I brought them. I've also been given positive feedback like, "I was just going to ask you about that. Thanks for being pro-active."

Not only does this build your leaders' trust in you, but it primes your problem-solving brain to think like a leader.

"There's no such thing as different but equal." -Dante Nero
08-13-2019 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Checkmat's post:
456, Dream Medicine

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fashion and Style Lounge Comte De St. Germain 1,404 426,707 07-27-2019 05:50 PM
Last Post: Praetor Lupus
  [Making Money]  RVF Tax Lounge Richiavelli 144 44,037 07-19-2019 07:05 AM
Last Post: Dr. Howard
  The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge Off The Reservation 1,322 436,578 06-27-2019 05:37 AM
Last Post: Donfitz007