Tickets On Sale For Last 5 Cities Of Roosh's Tour! Early bird pricing ends soon for Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte. Click here for details.

Giving up caffeine is a game changer
alecks Offline
Chubby Chaser

Giving up caffeine is a game changer
Im still relatively young but have been drinking coffee everyday for about 8 years.

I've given it up for a day or two at a time and as most of you know had the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. It is real.

Then again you have to ask yourself this as a regular coffee drinker, What is this really? A bean made from the coffee plant, processed, roasted etc, you drink it, gives you a sensory high/adrenaline/norepinephrine high followed by a subsequent crash.

It's the socially accepted legal everyday, liquid cocaine. (maybe just a lesser harsh version of it)

See all those studies year on year claiming the benefits of coffee?, I reckon it's all bullshit. Acidic shit made from a plant miles away that makes you chronically depressed and extremely fatigued when you don't have it is meant to be good for you?

Think about it.

If you're a coffee drinker, and I don't mean a pissy one which is weak like 50mg caffeine ash tray water, I mean a decent strong one....and you drink one or two of these a day, and have been for a long time I beg you to just stop for at least 3 days without caffeine.

You can't.

Brain fog, extreme fatigue and tiredness,moody,depressed.

Been off it maybe 2.5 weeks now. Honestly the first 8/9 days were horrible. This is a real thing. I needed coffee every morning and afternoon to keep me awake. But ask yourself why do you need to feel awake? I also didn't realize caffeine will give you very very slight anxiety due to it's stimulant structure, although I knew most of this information, I can really see now how your body should function without it.

My sleep is at least 10 times better. I used to toss and turn during the night for years, even though my latest coffee would be 3pm max, bed by 11 usually, then dying to drink the same beautiful stuff the next morning at 7 am. Bad cycle to be in. And trust me I love coffee.

I'm more relaxed overall and get less antsy about certain things even though I never thought of myself as an anxious person. It also dries out your skin badly being a diuretic. I wont go into detail about the mineral leaching effects it has, google them.

I also think if you have any stomach problems you need to quit caffeine. That acidity over time will tear the lining of your stomach up. It's an unnatural compound doing damage to your brain, as much as you feel awake and focused when drinking it, it's all fake.

I feel like I can focus better now than when I drank it.

Maybe turn this thread into a challenge, I dunno, maybe some of you can post experiences giving up caffeine, the worlds most used otc drug.

Adios.

Thank me later
09-04-2019 03:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 19 users Like alecks's post:
Johnnyvee, JiggyLordJr, Handsome Creepy Eel, Ruslan, Simeon_Strangelight, questor70, semibaron, Tail Gunner, Leonard D Neubache, Laner, Sankt Michael, godzilla, Latan, Syberpunk, Dismal Operator, VNvet, SlickyBoy, Jimmy Wonka, TheFunto
Johnnyvee Offline
Wingman

RE: Giving up caffeine is a game changer
(09-04-2019 03:38 PM)alecks Wrote:  Im still relatively young but have been drinking coffee everyday for about 8 years.

I've given it up for a day or two at a time and as most of you know had the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. It is real.

Then again you have to ask yourself this as a regular coffee drinker, What is this really? A bean made from the coffee plant, processed, roasted etc, you drink it, gives you a sensory high/adrenaline/norepinephrine high followed by a subsequent crash.

It's the socially accepted legal everyday, liquid cocaine. (maybe just a lesser harsh version of it)

See all those studies year on year claiming the benefits of coffee?, I reckon it's all bullshit. Acidic shit made from a plant miles away that makes you chronically depressed and extremely fatigued when you don't have it is meant to be good for you?

Think about it.

If you're a coffee drinker, and I don't mean a pissy one which is weak like 50mg caffeine ash tray water, I mean a decent strong one....and you drink one or two of these a day, and have been for a long time I beg you to just stop for at least 3 days without caffeine.

You can't.

Brain fog, extreme fatigue and tiredness,moody,depressed.

Been off it maybe 2.5 weeks now. Honestly the first 8/9 days were horrible. This is a real thing. I needed coffee every morning and afternoon to keep me awake. But ask yourself why do you need to feel awake? I also didn't realize caffeine will give you very very slight anxiety due to it's stimulant structure, although I knew most of this information, I can really see now how your body should function without it.

My sleep is at least 10 times better. I used to toss and turn during the night for years, even though my latest coffee would be 3pm max, bed by 11 usually, then dying to drink the same beautiful stuff the next morning at 7 am. Bad cycle to be in. And trust me I love coffee.

I'm more relaxed overall and get less antsy about certain things even though I never thought of myself as an anxious person. It also dries out your skin badly being a diuretic. I wont go into detail about the mineral leaching effects it has, google them.

I also think if you have any stomach problems you need to quit caffeine. That acidity over time will tear the lining of your stomach up. It's an unnatural compound doing damage to your brain, as much as you feel awake and focused when drinking it, it's all fake.

I feel like I can focus better now than when I drank it.

Maybe turn this thread into a challenge, I dunno, maybe some of you can post experiences giving up caffeine, the worlds most used otc drug.

Adios.

Yes, I think this is an excellent idea if you can manage it. I`ve tried, but failed to completely quit caffeine as of yet. As to the alleged positive effects of coffee in particular, well I could write at least 50 paragraphs on that subject, from the perspective of a biologist.

But Imagine that you did a study with the title;
`Crack cocaine is associated with lower a incidence of insulin resistance, T2D and obesity in adults.`
That would essentially be true! Have you ever seen an obese junkie? I sure haven`t. You could replace cocaine with cigarettes and get much of the same effect. And you could also, but to a lesser extent replace it with coffee (and moderate alcohol)

What I think happens here is that these drugs replace other substances that have various side effects. Since basically everybody in industrial societies are addicts, it`s a question of what is the least damaging addictive substance. If you get your dopamine rush from coffee, that might mean you`re less likely to overeat for example, which could explain the apparent contradiction observed with coffee and insulin. Namely that it raises insulin in healthy adults and T2D patiens, but with long term consumption reduces T2D risk/progression.
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/12/2990

We will stomp to the top with the wind in our teeth.

George L. Mallory
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2019 04:54 PM by Johnnyvee.)
09-04-2019 04:52 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like Johnnyvee's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Kid Twist, SlickyBoy, Philosopher
dtpilgrim Offline
Beta Orbiter

Every time I've tried to quit caffeine, I would get the same effects you describe within 1-3 days, brain fog, extreme fatigue, mood swings, depression. I've been a hard drinker for at least 3 years straight, caffeine was my life fuel. I successfully quit definitively in July/August. I went through 3 weeks of absolute hell. 2nd worst depression of my life. Severe dopamine deficiency. After 3 weeks everything cleared up and started to recover. I now have much better sleep, my skin looks better, my teeth seem whiter, I get tired in a more normal, cyclical way. I believe it's really tough to quit, but for me there have been definite subjective benefits.

Most interesting, I believe caffeine was a strong emotional suppressant for me. Once I quit, all kinds of suppressed emotions began to surface. It's like you can't run away from things any longer when you don't have an addiction to protect you from feeling.

I believe like most addictive drugs, it should be fine to consume when done sparingly, like once cup once every two months or so, but for now I want to see where this goes, as it's really only been 1 month post-caffeine.
09-04-2019 05:30 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like dtpilgrim's post:
Johnnyvee, JiggyLordJr, Handsome Creepy Eel, Sankt Michael
Sargon2112 Offline
Male Feminist

Yep - I recently stopped and the withdrawal is as the Op describes. Aside from the 3 day long headache, the most unexpected withdrawal symptoms was my thigh & calf muscles ached like I had ran 10 miles. It lasted for a solid week. It's been 6 weeks now and I can focus much better, no more brain fog & improved sleep.

Sucks, because I really liked coffee!
09-04-2019 05:44 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Sargon2112's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, SlickyBoy
lunchmoney Offline
Chubby Chaser

I've been off it for over a year now and wont go back.
09-04-2019 07:52 PM
kinjutsu Online
True Player

Strangely when i was growing up i never found the appeal of coffee. I thought it smelled and tasted awful.
Im glad i never started.

My Twitter

You can't get lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday though...
09-05-2019 12:44 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kinjutsu's post:
BlueMark
JiggyLordJr Offline
Beta Orbiter

Like OP said, the withdrawal from caffeine is hell. Quit coffee a month back and I'm just getting over the worst of it. Treat it like the drug that it is.

That being said, I've been drinking 1 cup of green tea in the mornings, coupled with a few squares of 90% chocolate. Do you think this is harmful, in terms of caffeine content? Have no problem cutting them out and switching to herbal.
09-05-2019 12:58 AM
Simeon_Strangelight Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Yeah - it's never helpful to be on a constant stimulant complete with withdrawal effects.
09-05-2019 07:42 AM
alecks Offline
Chubby Chaser

As far as i know, green tea has a higher caffeine content than normal tea so it’s really up to you if you want to keep consuming it. Sure chocolate is okay as long as your not consuming a shit load of it.

I just really wanted to post it and see if i got any response. It seems as if lads on here have similar thoughts regarding caffeine.

In relation to the overall consenus about caffeine and it’s uses/limits/dangers, I have a hunch about them, as in I think the studies that show it’s benefits have skewed data and are all funded by giant coffee companies to push a narrative and therefore keep the charade afloat with money.

Remember this industry is worth $100bn+. I’d be inclined to think the numbers are fudged a little since they know the black stuff keeps the world turning with adrenaline.

Coffee is part of a healthy lifestyle/lower xyz/reduces risk of dementia blah blah. Again its just a hunch but I dont believe it regardless of what “official” studies might say.

Again that’s just my bias.

Look at all the YT videos on how to quit caffeine. All the info is there on how to quit. I didnt do it cold turkey btw, i tapered off over the week, this helped lessen the blow. Cold turkey is harsh a lot of people said, I wouldn’t recommend it personally.

People that make these videos usually have similar problems with caffeine. The lethargy, moody, up and down issues with it and let’s not forget irregular heartbeats. Dangerous IMO.

After 2 weeks ago I drank a can of coca cola at dinner forgetting altogether that there is caffeine in it, less than 100mg I think, and guess what? I slept like fucking shit, tired for most of the next day. I need to keep on top of this. But as of late my headspace has been more relaxed, especially in work which is key.

Theres men in my job smashing monsters,coffees, red bulls, cigarettes the whole nine yards, coupled with the stress of the job itself isn’t a good combo. Don’t directly GIVE yourself more fucking stress if you don’t have to. But that’s what caffeine does really.

Anyway....enough rambling. Just wanted to gauge interest on this topic!

Adios.

Thank me later
09-05-2019 01:09 PM
Bienvenuto Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

^Woman I used to work with would drink red bulls non stop .. and.. fall asleep at her desk.

I swore off tea, coffee and soda as a youngster. Fell off the wagon on fizzy drinks recently but.. I don't worry about it too much.

If I drink coffee I can't sleep for 36 hours or so.
09-05-2019 01:37 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bienvenuto's post:
lunchmoney
Mage Online
True Player

I know some of you will scold me for touching this subject again in a seemingly off topic thread but I wind it worthy mentioning what I have observed:

Nearly all Christians love coffee on the level of addiction. I have spend many mornings traveling with groups of Christians and I was always the only one who could function in morning without liters of coffee. They all drank coffee multiple times per day and felt really bad when having no access to it even complaining how they almost fell asleep during mass due to lack of coffee.

It seems that when people make their decisions based on scripture instead of listening to their body they double down on soft vices not explicitly condemned by scripture or their in-group.

All that abstinence from sex drugs and minimalist use of alcohol is great, but if you substitute it with socially accepted vices like coffee or overeating, then it begs an obvious question. Are you indeed a human made in God's image with reason and free will or are you an NPC automation being directed by standards of your peer group and scripture?

Of course secular society is not much better - most of secular people are addicted to coffee too. But since they are also poisoning themselves with casual sex, alcohol and weed - coffee is not so obviously being the center of their lives.

I myself have drank coffee two times in my life, first was in teenage years without milk - found it disgusting and refused to drink it for many years. 2nd time I tried it with milk in adulthood and although I found it drinkable I decided there is no reason to start drinking it now when I have been fine without it for so many years. I have no problems starting my day or keeping awake trough it if I have had proper sleep.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2019 01:44 PM by Mage.)
09-05-2019 01:41 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mage's post:
SlickyBoy
iThinkThereforeIam Offline
Beta Orbiter

Be weary about anyone writing about the next best #noXZY fad.

Some people are extremely sensitive to caffeine (getting twitchy, jumpy and nervous, heartburn etc.), others incl. me have severely overdone it to caffeine levels that induce non stop lethargy, trying to get through long and boring workdays filled with tedious tasks.

Find a balance that works for you instead of looking for magical results from abstinence.

For me personally without caffeine highs and good music my workdays would be a huge drag.

For 6h workdays I had my best output with thai red bull in glass bottles with 50mg caffeine on an empty stomach.

Anything above 200mg a day severely messes with my brain.

You can even out the caffeine release with oil / high fat milk / coconut cream in coffee.
09-05-2019 02:03 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like iThinkThereforeIam's post:
idolatry, Benoit, Rifian -rebel
idolatry Offline
Game Denialist

(09-05-2019 02:03 PM)iThinkThereforeIam Wrote:  Find a balance that works for you instead of looking for magical results from abstinence.

Seems reasonable

(09-05-2019 02:03 PM)iThinkThereforeIam Wrote:  For 6h workdays I had my best output with thai red bull in glass bottles with 50mg caffeine on an empty stomach.

Does not seem reasonable

"Surely you joust."

– Forum Member 911
09-05-2019 02:11 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes idolatry's post:
JiggyLordJr
Mage Online
True Player

(09-05-2019 02:03 PM)iThinkThereforeIam Wrote:  Be weary about anyone writing about the next best #noXZY fad.

Some people are extremely sensitive to caffeine (getting twitchy, jumpy and nervous, heartburn etc.), others incl. me have severely overdone it to caffeine levels that induce non stop lethargy, trying to get through long and boring workdays filled with tedious tasks.

Find a balance that works for you instead of looking for magical results from abstinence.

For me personally without caffeine highs and good music my workdays would be a huge drag.

For 6h workdays I had my best output with thai red bull in glass bottles with 50mg caffeine on an empty stomach.

Anything above 200mg a day severely messes with my brain.

You can even out the caffeine release with oil / high fat milk / coconut cream in coffee.

If you cannot bear your work day without coffee - you actually hate your work and are just using coffee to hide it. Listening to music while working is fine.

You must change your work or even whole career.

You may say that complete abstinence is a fad, but it is only a solipsistic approach meant for people who already have their brain fucked by continuous usage.

For those who do not use coffee this is a fine warning not to even start doing this.

Also you were not in this position if had no coffee addiction to dull your senses.

Addictions fuck your life in many ways you don't even realize. For instance in your example it made you tolerate work you do not really like. Had you not been using coffee not only would you be happier because you had no withdrawal symptoms, but you also would be happier because you would have seen your job for what it is more sooner, had not tolerated that crap much sooner and would have found something better and more suited for you much sooner.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2019 02:17 PM by Mage.)
09-05-2019 02:13 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Mage's post:
JiggyLordJr, RDF
N°6 Offline
True Player

I wouldn’t trust myself in charge of a vehicle first thing in the morning without a couple of mugs of black coffee.

Don't spend all your energy on sex and all your money on women; they have destroyed kings. (Proverbs 31:3 GNB)
09-05-2019 02:43 PM
Obermarschall Offline
Recovering Beta

I am drinking every day a can of Monster Energy (the European one contains less quantity of harmful stuff than the US one).
Honestly, I like the sweet taste, because I just happen to like sweet stuff. I don't drink coffee, soda, lemonades, alcohol etc, only water, milk, juices and well Monster Energy.

However, I want to quit to Monster soon; first I try to reduce the quantity that I drink and then well...I will drink it occasionally until I just don't anymore. Funnily enough I can get these cans for less than 1€ (0.99€ to be exact) but yeah without drinking it, I could save almost 30€ per month.

Coffee can be more expensive than 1€ per 0.5l. If you are someone like me who values his money, perhaps try to think of the financial aspect coffee and caffeine have in your life and how much money you could have for other things?
09-05-2019 03:50 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Obermarschall's post:
SlickyBoy
RIslander Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Caffeine doesn't seem to have a negative effect on me in moderation. In the morning I have an espresso and sometimes at lunch a cup from a french press. It doesn't effect my sleep habits and it suppresses my appetite allowing for less caloric intake.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2019 04:34 PM by RIslander.)
09-05-2019 04:23 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like RIslander's post:
TooFineAPoint, ChefAllDay
Alpone Offline
Recovering Beta

Doing this right now. This is day 1. Had a 3 cortadito a day habit. Was fucking up my sleep and moods and gradually snuck up on me. Doing decaf only from now on because I love the taste of coffee.
09-05-2019 07:07 PM
Brosemite Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(09-05-2019 07:07 PM)Alpone Wrote:  Doing this right now. This is day 1. Had a 3 cortadito a day habit. Was fucking up my sleep and moods and gradually snuck up on me. Doing decaf only from now on because I love the taste of coffee.

Good for your digestive system and staves off hunger too...

yb13
09-06-2019 01:20 AM
Hannibal Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Everyone's brain is different. I have given up caffeine for months at a time and noticed nothing, but I so much as smell pot and I get brain fog for days.

Good for you, OP.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
09-06-2019 01:51 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hannibal's post:
TooFineAPoint
whitewashedblackguy Offline
Recovering Beta

Same. I don’t get withdrawal even after I’ve been drinking a few months straight. After hearing about more of the negatives, I switched up my habit a bit.

I only drink ice espresso drinks or cold brews to avoid the toxins that come from the bean, and I never drink it with sugar. Sugar makes crashes worse (like with alcohol) and it’s bad anyways.

African-Americans were horrified that the history of their ancestors was being, quite literally, whitewashed.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2019 10:02 PM by whitewashedblackguy.)
09-06-2019 10:00 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes whitewashedblackguy's post:
JiggyLordJr
alecks Offline
Chubby Chaser

Although it's dose dependent for each individual, some people will tolerate more caffeine than others. This can be from diet and genetics (Fairly broad spectrum but you get the idea). Timing of the caffeine dialed in with type of food consumed will reduce the absorbing capabilities of caffeine and sometimes make it slower. Drink coffee first thing in the morning with no food and/or not eat for a couple of hours to know what I mean. Your stomach is empty so it will absorb it quicker if there's nothing in there before it. (Won't go into the nitty gritty but you get the jist).

See all those pre workout supplements? They are pure poisons too. How they are even legal is beyond me and I used to love them too a few years ago. I even notice my heart rate is much lower and a lot of my thinking doesn't seem as "rushed" as before.

I did some calculations and realized I was drinking maybe 4-5x the normal dose of caffeine everyday. close to 700/800mg! That is fucking crazy. No wonder I felt like shit and had sleep issues.

Now Imagine that sort of dose overtime and everyday give or take a cup or two. It's like chronic smoking!....but in liquid form and yet caffeine/coffee culture is looked at in a positive light and praised all over the world. Just a small conclusion I'm coming to now.

Mind you there are probably millions of people out there that have no problem with caffeine because they drink only small amounts of it and the symptoms never come to the surface. You won't get the associated issues described above eating a few squares of chocolate in my opinion.

The coping mechanism is an interesting one. Standard procedure in most workplaces (coffee/smoke break) and ties in very well with people's deep seated issues. Alcohol is in the same pool of course but I won't go into that. A lot of people have their "poison" if you will, just seems like caffeine is the kind of elephant in the room thing, not many people talking about the drawbacks. You have to keep topping yourself up everyday with the stuff but you don't realize that it has downsides, especially if you stop.

Thank me later
09-07-2019 03:20 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes alecks's post:
n/a
KanoKnows Offline
Male Feminist

Here we go again, another placebo effect preacher. "My body cant deal with a caffeine stimulant so therefor it must be bad for everyone else too".

Firstly, Its complety out for system within 5 hours so unless your drinking coffee at night then its having 0 impact on your sleep.

I'm a daily coffee drinker but ive gone weeks without it and never so much as noticed anything even close to withdrawel. And as an ex smoker I'm sure I would recognize one.

Green tea has higher amounts of caffeine but its still widely medicaly accepted to be the healthist drink you can have known to man kind.
09-07-2019 04:41 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like KanoKnows's post:
TooFineAPoint, Kid Twist, mr-ed209
Kaizen Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

^ above is false half life of coffee is approx 5 hours and its 5 half lifes to get it completely out your system so more than 24 hours

By that time someone is adding the next dose

Of course there are slow and fast metabolizers

Im a bit hooked although i know Id likely function better if i got rid of it entirely
09-07-2019 09:47 AM
TooFineAPoint Offline
Alpha Male

If you don't enjoy it and you can clearly pinpoint negatives from it, then I guess it's a no-brainer to do away with it.

Or you could just try moderation, drinking it for pleasure, and buying really fresh and high quality coffee. Then balance that out with lots of clean water, fresh air, and healthy food.

By the way, if all you eat for a month is green veggies and meat, and then at the end you have an apple... you will get an insane sugar buzz. Does that mean the apple is bad news? It probably means we shouldn't be eating two apples a day, but it's a wonderful treat when it's fresh from the orchard in fall, and they keep so well over the winter when there is little chance of other fruit. So horses for courses.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2019 01:10 PM by TooFineAPoint.)
09-07-2019 01:09 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TooFineAPoint's post:
Leonard D Neubache

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Alcohol and caffeine nordicplayer 17 3,943 11-28-2017 12:30 AM
Last Post: nordicplayer
  How to stop using caffeine Rendőrség 70 26,692 08-25-2017 03:01 AM
Last Post: MrTickle
Lightbulb [Tools]  Free browsers that help you stay anonymous online, giving you different IP addresses seniol 41 13,573 07-21-2016 06:10 AM
Last Post: seniol