I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Asking Catholic priests to stop swearing around my kids
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

Asking Catholic priests to stop swearing around my kids
My wife is devout Catholic. I am just sort of generally Christian and wasn't even attending a church or living an especially Christian lifestyle when we met, so when we decided to get married I was down with raising the kids Catholic and attending her church even though I have no intention of converting.

Lately some of the priests at her parish have been behaving a bit oddly. I enjoy a good fire and brimstone sermon as much as the next right-wing reactionary but in the last few months they have been turning the ranting up to 11 and throwing in a few vulgarities. I can't remember what Roosh's current exact policy is on four-letter words, so let's just say no F bombs yet, mostly just scatological references and using the street term for the smelliest part of the human anatomy to refer to us miserable sinners. The parishioners, most of whom aren't native English speakers* seem to be picking up on it and are also throwing in more of such language during the echos, which for non-Catholics is when they comment on this week's readings from the Bible.

I've never been a big fan of swearing and reckon that an educated man should be able to express himself more eloquently, especially in church. That said, my main concern is that I have small children who attend church with us and don't want them to learn to use this type of language, especially from someone who is supposed to be an authority figure and example.

My wife and I are active, tithe-paying members of her parish. After last night's Eucharist and more of this type of language being thrown around, I've been kicking around the idea of writing a letter to the parish or having a talk with a few of these priests. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience in church and if so what you did and how it turned out.

*That's the Catholic church in the US in the 21st century for you, but that's a topic for another post.

Feminism in ten words: "Stop objectifying women! Can't you see I've hit the wall?" -Leonard D Neubache
09-08-2019 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like bucky's post:
Simeon_Strangelight, Captainstabbin, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, rdvirus
JiggyLordJr Offline
Beta Orbiter

RE: Asking Catholic priests to stop swearing around my kids
A priest shouldn't be swearing. The man who's been dedicating his life to serving the Lord shouldn't be cursing in his presence - let alone in front of the Lord's children. It's also just common courtesy. I'd recommend looking for another parish.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2019 12:35 PM by JiggyLordJr.)
09-08-2019 12:34 PM
[-] The following 16 users Like JiggyLordJr's post:
Syberpunk, bucky, Andersson, NoMoreTO, BBinger, Tactician, Chiosboy90, DJ-Matt, bacani, spokepoker, MusicForThePiano, kinjutsu, Simeon_Strangelight, Captainstabbin, KnjazMihailo, RoastBeefCurtains4Me
worldwidetraveler Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

This may be a very poor attempt at trying to connect to people in their own language. I would try and have a talk with one or multiple priests to explain your concerns and views before writing a letter. They should know how their language is affecting others in their parish. It is good feedback and they will probably be happy to have it. As long as you approach it in a helpful manner and not a accusatory one.
09-08-2019 12:39 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like worldwidetraveler's post:
Syberpunk, bucky, SlickyBoy, 911
Aurini Offline
True Player

Teach your kids that non-vulgar language is more insulting.

For instance:

"The bitchy lot attendant" or...

"The dried-up lot lizard, who relishes any instance of human attention, since her apartment is empty, full of unfashionable furniture and an indifferent cat, who prays every night for a return of Stalinism so that she can wield an ounce more power over her fellow citizens."

My website.
Now streaming on the DLive platform..
09-08-2019 12:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 15 users Like Aurini's post:
bucky, Horus, RIslander, TooFineAPoint, Tactician, bacani, spokepoker, MusicForThePiano, Leonard D Neubache, Mess O., It_is_my_time, SlickyBoy, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Emancipator, Syberpunk
NoMoreTO Offline
Wingman

I don't ever recall seeing a Priest swear, or use vulgarity, let alone in a homily. Sad to hear things are slipping.

I would recommend switching your parish. Check out a FSSP or SSPX Church which perform Traditional Latin Masses.

The Old Mass is better, but the big difference to me is the parishioners attending and the holiness of the Priest.

“Where the danger is, so grows the saving element.” ~ German poet Hoelderlin
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2019 01:45 PM by NoMoreTO.)
09-08-2019 01:44 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like NoMoreTO's post:
TooFineAPoint, Quibo, spokepoker, 911, Augustus_Principe
Horus Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(09-08-2019 12:47 PM)Aurini Wrote:  ...an indifferent cat...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5565292]
09-08-2019 01:48 PM
[-] The following 12 users Like Horus's post:
NoMoreTO, Tactician, bucky, bacani, Leonard D Neubache, Buck Wild, JiggyLordJr, SlickyBoy, robreke, Aurini, rdvirus, Emancipator
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(09-08-2019 12:39 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  This may be a very poor attempt at trying to connect to people in their own language. I would try and have a talk with one or multiple priests to explain your concerns and views before writing a letter. They should know how their language is affecting others in their parish. It is good feedback and they will probably be happy to have it. As long as you approach it in a helpful manner and not a accusatory one.

You're probably right about it being a hamfisted attempt to speak the language of the people, or to seem more like a "regular guy" kind of priest, something that is inherently impossible when you're a celibate guy who regularly appears in public wearing ceremonial robes. I like your suggestion that I just mention it to them face to face. Or if I can't catch either of them after mass (priest are busy) I have the email address of one of their colleagues, I could probably ask him to give me the email of the two priests who have been doing this and contact them personally that way.

Feminism in ten words: "Stop objectifying women! Can't you see I've hit the wall?" -Leonard D Neubache
09-10-2019 07:53 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bucky's post:
worldwidetraveler
Simeon_Strangelight Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Yeah - if you have to tell your priest not to swear then it's telling.
09-10-2019 08:14 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Simeon_Strangelight's post:
KnjazMihailo
Mage Offline
True Player

I am a big critic of Christianity, but I have never heard a Catholic priest swearing and I know a lot of them. This must be a particularly rare exception.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019 09:32 AM by Mage.)
09-10-2019 09:32 AM
BortimusPrime Offline
True Player

(09-08-2019 12:47 PM)Aurini Wrote:  Teach your kids that non-vulgar language is more insulting.

For instance:

"The dried-up lot lizard, who relishes any instance of human attention, since her apartment is empty, full of unfashionable furniture and an indifferent cat, who prays every night for a return of Stalinism so that she can wield an ounce more power over her fellow citizens."

As fun as it is to use a verbally adroit riposte, the sad truth is that it only really works well in writing. When you're talking to someone and say something too far out from what they anticipated, they can't process it fast enough so you just get a "huh?" in response.

I think that's why standup comics like to set up their joke with a story so the audience is primed to receive the punchline. In comparison a really clever one-liner almost always forces you to explain or retell it, which kills the joke.
09-10-2019 01:05 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes BortimusPrime's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me
Nulled Offline
Male Feminist

(09-10-2019 09:32 AM)Mage Wrote:  I am a big critic of Christianity, but I have never heard a Catholic priest swearing and I know a lot of them. This must be a particularly rare exception.

Agreed.
09-10-2019 07:03 PM
Captainstabbin Offline
International Playboy

(09-08-2019 11:37 AM)bucky Wrote:  After last night's Eucharist and more of this type of language being thrown around

This happened during the Eucharistic prayer itself?

You need to leave this parish, stop giving money to this diocese and make sure your children aren't alone with them. I would even doubt the validity of the sacrament at that point.
09-10-2019 07:21 PM
Easy_C Offline
International Playboy

(09-10-2019 01:05 PM)BortimusPrime Wrote:  
(09-08-2019 12:47 PM)Aurini Wrote:  Teach your kids that non-vulgar language is more insulting.

For instance:

As fun as it is to use a verbally adroit riposte, the sad truth is that it only really works well in writing. When you're talking to someone and say something too far out from what they anticipated, they can't process it fast enough so you just get a "huh?" in response.

I think that's why standup comics like to set up their joke with a story so the audience is primed to receive the punchline. In comparison a really clever one-liner almost always forces you to explain or retell it, which kills the joke.

Sometimes. Both Nigel Farage and Winston Churchill have some great examples of how to be incredibly insulting without a hint of profanity.

09-10-2019 08:37 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Easy_C's post:
NoMoreTO, RoastBeefCurtains4Me
SlickyBoy Offline
True Player

I only ever heard a Catholic priest swear in conversations nowhere near women or children, but some of the ones from other parts of the world might have learned their English in part from what they see on Hollywood trash entertainment.

Even harmless, innocent ol' Disney slips them in once and a while - not by accident.

Twitter: @_slickyboy
Occasional contributor at Return of Kings (while it lasted)
09-10-2019 08:42 PM
Samseau Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

First try speaking with your priest and giving him a chance to fix the problem.

We really going to judge a priest for swearing when we all swear? Your priest is only a true sinner if he refuses to change (or perhaps cursed with a mental illness?).

Contributor at Return of Kings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.
09-10-2019 08:46 PM
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(09-10-2019 08:46 PM)Samseau Wrote:  First try speaking with your priest and giving him a chance to fix the problem.

We really going to judge a priest for swearing when we all swear? Your priest is only a true sinner if he refuses to change (or perhaps cursed with a mental illness?).

I actually feel something like pity for them a lot of the time. Part of that is not getting the celibacy thing at all as a non-Catholic. Also, the tremendous pressure they seem to be under. The Catholic church seems to be falling apart in a lot of ways and I imagine it's devastating when you've devoted your whole life to it.

Still, not swearing around little kids should be obvious to a priest. They are supposed to be an example, and it's not hard.

09-10-2019 11:23 PM
PainPositive Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

We have to remember our church leaders (no matter what denomination) are still human. The Bible tells us how to deal with disagreements.

Matthew 18:15-17
"15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican."

If he neglects to hear you privately, with two or three witnesses, and finally with other church leaders then you should separate yourself from him (at least temporarily).

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."
John 5:24 (KJV)
09-11-2019 10:35 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like PainPositive's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me, bucky, Samseau
Nacho Offline
Game Denialist

I can't imagine some effeminate Catholic priest up at the alter cursing like a drunken sailor lol. Usually it's the typical monotone somber boring 20 minute sermon you hear every mass. Strikes me as very odd and out of place for a priest to do such thing but I guess it doesn't surprise me in today's modern post Vatican 2 Church.
09-12-2019 01:04 AM
Polniy_Sostav Offline
Wingman

It s weird.
Go tell him directly that it s not correct
09-12-2019 07:05 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Polniy_Sostav's post:
bucky
Macumazahn Offline
Game Denialist
Gold Member

Sounds like the Catholic Church has changed a lot since I last went to Mass!

(09-11-2019 10:35 PM)PainPositive Wrote:  ..........

17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican."

What's the issue with publicans? I have known some great publicans.
09-12-2019 07:31 AM
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(09-12-2019 01:04 AM)Nacho Wrote:  I can't imagine some effeminate Catholic priest up at the alter cursing like a drunken sailor lol. Usually it's the typical monotone somber boring 20 minute sermon you hear every mass. Strikes me as very odd and out of place for a priest to do such thing but I guess it doesn't surprise me in today's modern post Vatican 2 Church.

It's not quite to the level of swearing like a sailor (or any branch of the military...I've worked with those guys). Just lately more often than not two particular priests will rant during the sermon about how we're a bunch of "assholes" who don't realize how good the Lord is to us, or say something like "this gospel is not bullshit." That kind of thing. Not particularly shocking in this day and age, at least anywhere outside of church, just not language I want an authority figure who's supposed to be an example using around my four-year-old.

It does seem weird to me too, and I'm not a fan of how the parishioners are picking up on it and also starting to use that kind of language at church. That said, since I'm not Catholic myself I wouldn't worry about it if I didn't have kids because my intention here is not to tell them how to run their church.

Note: Hopefully I'm not violating any of the new rules by providing specific examples of the kind of language I'm talking about. Mods, please warn me if I am.

09-12-2019 08:05 AM
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(09-12-2019 07:31 AM)Macumazahn Wrote:  Sounds like the Catholic Church has changed a lot since I last went to Mass!

(09-11-2019 10:35 PM)PainPositive Wrote:  ..........

What's the issue with publicans? I have known some great publicans.

IIRC, the Jews of the time considered tax collectors for the Romans to be the lowliest type of scum. I think the passage is telling you that you're no better than the dregs of society if you blow off the counsel of the church.

09-12-2019 08:19 AM
BlastbeatCasanova Offline
Chubby Chaser

How about telling them to stop molesting kids?
09-12-2019 03:54 PM
Nacho Offline
Game Denialist

Bucky would your wife consider checking out an Eastern Orthodox church? You won't have to worry about the clown world bullshit currently engulfing the RC church. If she won't budge, then maybe she would be open to the byzantine rite in the Catholic church.
09-12-2019 04:12 PM
bucky Offline
Chubby Chaser

(09-12-2019 04:12 PM)Nacho Wrote:  Bucky would your wife consider checking out an Eastern Orthodox church? You won't have to worry about the clown world bullshit currently engulfing the RC church. If she won't budge, then maybe she would be open to the byzantine rite in the Catholic church.

Probably not. She's a pretty hardcore Roman Catholic from south of the border, been active in the church since she was a little girl. The Pope and the Virgin are a big part of her life.

Too bad the RCC doesn't let their priests marry before they're ordained like the Orthodox. I imagine that would solve a lot of their problems.

09-12-2019 10:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Catholic Church thread Roosh 41 1,602 Today 03:53 PM
Last Post: Mage
  Covington Catholic Collegiate Boys DC stand off with Native & Black Hebrew Protesters NoMoreTO 366 42,982 07-28-2019 01:14 PM
Last Post: Captainstabbin
  Women protest when asked to stop wearing tight leggings at Catholic Mass Roosh 86 10,604 06-10-2019 01:56 AM
Last Post: extremely bainful