Tickets On Sale For Last 5 Cities Of Roosh's Tour! Early bird pricing ends soon for Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte. Click here for details.

Bird watching thread
Roosh Offline
Innovative Casanova

Bird watching thread
I wanted to start a thread where we can share the birds we identify outdoors. You can state the species and include a picture. I will start with my most recent three identifications. I'm not counting birds that I saw in captivity, but only in the wild.

Western gull

[Image: Western-Gull_1019-cr-300x240.jpg]

All over the California coast. Nothing special about these birds. They are known to rain down feces upon beachgoers.

Pelican

[Image: pelican_larryanddena.jpg]

Very cool bird! Its throat pouch is like a balloon that expands with water. It drains the water and then swallows any food present.

Canada goose

[Image: canada2.jpg]

Classic elegance.

Roosh
http://www.rooshv.com
09-11-2019 10:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 10 users Like Roosh's post:
Going strong, Tex Cruise, JiggyLordJr, bacani, Prufrock, NoMoreTO, Dream Medicine, 911, HermeticAlly, Rigsby
Going strong Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

RE: Bird watching thread
Reminds me where I learned to correctly pronounce "ornithologist" - and sure, it's "quite a mouthful"...

Anyway, as a bonus, below is the ornithologist pride of the Philippines, the monkey-eating Eagle:

[Image: vMO3pdM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape...ity=medium]

[Image: philippine-eagle.jpg]
09-12-2019 12:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 8 users Like Going strong's post:
NoMoreTO, TheFinalEpic, HermeticAlly, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Prufrock, Handsome Creepy Eel, Latan, bucky
Prufrock Offline
Recovering Beta

One of my best friends from college is an avid birdwatcher who takes great pictures. I'll post a couple now, and update when I can:

Red-tailed Hawk.

[Image: 62617843-1427682914047672-7659748197283135488-o.jpg]

This was at the Marshlands Conservancy in Rye, NY.

These are beautiful birds of prey. They are very common in NorCal as well, and I frequently see them when driving around the area of Sears Point.

Prairie Warbler

[Image: 52845273-1342032162612748-2050042999106174976-o.jpg]

Spotted at Sterling Forest State Park in Orange County, New York.

I am not familiar with this bird personally, but it is a great picture. The bird appears to be similar to an English Sparrow.

Edit - There is a Great Horned Owl that lives in a Magnolia tree in my parents' backyard. After dusk he likes to let out very loud hoots. Some nights I look up at the tree and see him staring right back at me. They are majestic creatures...

The Puritan hated bear-baiting, not because it gave pain to the bear, but because it gave pleasure to the spectators. - Thomas B. Macaulay

Rick Von Slonecker is tall, rich, good-looking, stupid, dishonest, conceited, a bully, liar, drunk and thief, an egomaniac, and probably psychotic. In short, highly attractive to women. - Whit Stillman
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2019 05:15 AM by Prufrock.)
09-12-2019 04:53 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like Prufrock's post:
NoMoreTO, Going strong, 911, Rigsby, Handsome Creepy Eel, Roosh
Leonard D Neubache Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

I'll pipe in from down south.

This is the somewhat famous Kookaburra of which I have several living nearby. Natives know it as the laughing bird and millennials know it as the lol bird.

[Image: australian-kookaburra-sitting-on-a-tree-..._YwdpKTyw=]

You can hear their famous call in this video where they live in their most prominent native habitat. The verandas of overpriced suburban housing on the Australian East coast.

They're known for perching on electrical lines which seems to be their preferred height to scan the ground for their prey, which consists mostly of small rodents, lizards and snakes. Like other carnivorous birds with similar prey, they will regularly vomit up small parcels of undigested bone and fur which are considered by some heretics to be good luck talismans.

Personally I refer to them as NEETbirds due to the observable hesitance of their young to leave the family nest, often becoming indistinguishable from their parents by the time they're forced to get a job or do something else productive with their lives. This is a picture of a male Kookaburra having that conversation with his son.

[Image: 8794798-3x2-700x467.jpg]

They are pleasant birds which are neither trusting nor aloof. They will hang around to watch what you're doing while keeping a respectable distance. 7/10 Bird. WW (would watch).

God demands of Man responsibility. God demands of Woman vulnerability. These are their curse and blessing alike. Libertianism is to Man as Feminism is to Woman.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2019 05:39 AM by Leonard D Neubache.)
09-12-2019 05:37 AM
[-] The following 9 users Like Leonard D Neubache's post:
Prufrock, Going strong, Dream Medicine, 911, VNvet, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Rigsby, Handsome Creepy Eel, Roosh
BlastbeatCasanova Offline
Chubby Chaser

Canadian geese look elegant but they are actually big pests, I see a lot of them down south in residential neighborhoods and they'll move in flocks of about 15 +/- and tear up yards and shit everywhere. I've also heard they can be pretty aggressive if approached. But yes, they do look cool.

I do appreciate birds and this post, a few months I saw a bald eagle while was I driving down the highway and it was pretty big surprise and really cool to see.
09-12-2019 07:40 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like BlastbeatCasanova's post:
Leonard D Neubache, Going strong
TheFinalEpic Offline
True Player
Gold Member

A year or two ago this would have been in the game section, heh.

Anywho...

Big fan of birds of prey in Southern Alberta, we have Peregrine Falcons, some bald and golden eagles, and some crazy owl species. Agreed on the Canadian geese, they can be downright savages.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.
09-12-2019 09:58 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like TheFinalEpic's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Leonard D Neubache, Handsome Creepy Eel
Mage Online
True Player

In Latvia one of the coolest birds is white stork (Ciconia ciconia).

It makes huge nests on electric poles and roofs and chimneys of human homes. It is protected by law so if one makes this huge nest on your roof you are by law prohibited from destroying the nest or God forbid to shoot he magnificent bird. But most people love these birds even if they make a nest on their property because as ancient Latvian Pagan Lore teaches the stork brings blessing to the home it settles in. That is probably because it eats snakes with it's pike like beak so your home would be safe from snakes. Also eats frogs.

Two most common water birds in one picture seen at nearly every lake or ditch.:

Mute swan (Cygnus olor) A very cool bird that is amphibious and feels at home both in air and in water. It's a large and strong bird and interestingly enough one of the most dangerous, it can become aggressive and easily drown a swimming human who swims too close to it's babies. In Latvia there have been more fatalities in latest decades from swans then from wolves, bears, lynxes, snakes or any other animals you might think of as deadly (not counting insects). Despite that everybody loves these majestic birds.

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) a.k.a duck.
The male plays peacocking game with shining green (looks blue in this picture due to shine) head while females are grey plain janes. Everybody loves feeding bread to these animals.

Btw, both storks and swans are monogamous for life, which proves that monogamy can be natural, despite what degenerates say. It is maybe due to this fidelity that storks have become associated with delivering babies.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2019 11:01 AM by Mage.)
09-12-2019 10:39 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Mage's post:
Leonard D Neubache, Handsome Creepy Eel, Roosh
CDRhodes Offline
Game Denialist

I will try to get some pics of my bird feeder when I get a chance. I usually see crows, blue jays, doves, and the occasional woodpecker. Also have a pair of red tail hawks living on my property. They really seem to enjoy eating my neighbors chickens.
09-12-2019 11:23 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes CDRhodes's post:
Leonard D Neubache
Rigsby Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Great idea for a thread!

I recently pulled some footage off my bro's Canon video camera that he left. Lots of shots of birds. Some quite rare. Well, rarish, anyway.

The footage is not great. It's blurry and disjointed in parts. But it would be nice to be able to put it up somewhere. I'm a bit of an amateur bird-spotter myself. Especially after getting my telescope which puts them all in a new light. *

But I always took an interest in our little fine-feathered friends.

I know my pied wagtail from my goldfinch for example.

Interesting side note. I just googled 'goldfinch' to see if I got the spelling correct, and google came back with a whole page of fucking hollywood film bullshit. Is nothing fucking sacred anymore. It's annoying as shit. It's been doing this more and more for common words - pushing fucking jew hollywood cancer to the masses. Sorry...

Anyway, I'll set up a bitchute or something and upload them. It would really mean a lot to me for others to see these little 'vignettes' that my bro recorded. It's a small thing...

Some of the birds are quite unusual, so I would also like to find out what they are. I might even post some of his other videos as well. Nothing earth shattering. Other small things. Like rats scurrying to ground, and rare double rainbows, breaking through the sky, glistening, shining in the grey air that surrounds them.

Nature is beautiful.

If you are quiet and still enough, you can go to a very special place...

* There's a pair of collared doves that sometimes sit on the telegraph wire above my mum's backyard when I just get my telescope out to start observing the night sky. I do this in daylight to center my red dot finder and to make sure my Reflector mirror cools down so it has no abberations when temperature drops.

They are paired birds it would seem, monogamous, not hypergamous. They come and go, but sit sometimes for 15 minutes on that wire. I can almost see the fleas on them with my 15mm 60* Eyepiece. I watch them talking. Blinking.

Then they are gone.

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-...lared-dove

My bro would stop his Ducati when he was out riding when he saw a Kestrel hovering. Take some video. Not so exciting to some, but then again, neither is trainspotting... to others...

We had a bird feeder in the garden so we caught some good birds apart from the common tits. Even birds like Robins which are traditionally groundfeeders IIRC. Birds can surprise you.

Once my brother tied a bit of thin silk cotton string to a small piece of bread, and he used this to entice and bring in one of the birds through the doorstep and to his feet. Very few people could do that. But the birds sensed, or rather, in a Buddhist kind of way, did not sense, his presence.

It was funny the way he kept tugging that bit of bread and the 'dumb' birds just coming in closer. They got their bit of bread in the end though, eating at my bro's feet.

Years ago, birds would have no fear and come in and people would hold them in their hands. Then let them go. But before that they would capture them in 'sparrow-pots' and eat them!

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/w...food.80240

But as birds learn to avoid cars, they also learn to avoid being eaten.

Another bit of trivia regarding birds.

When people first started putting nuts out for them in bird feeders, they did not know why so many little birds kept dying. But it was because the nuts they fed to them were toxic (no one knew this at the time) and so it poisoned them. They changed the source of the nuts and the birds stopped dying.

It sounds so simple when you spin it like that, but it really was a problem for a little while till they figured it out. And it wasn't an easy problem to solve.

Anyway, I always love to see a good photo of our fine feathered friends.

If anyone wants some general advice with observing, I can maybe point them in the right direction. It's not really my thing (just yet), but there is some common ground with binoculars and bino-viewers and even full blown telescopes. And all the associated eyepieces that go with that. I'm a novice and an amateur, but I might be able to help a bit.

I've seen some absolutely incredible photos be taken by people who used to be in the army say. But instead of wearing a ghillie suit, well okay, they probably still do wear a ghillie suit, but instead of waiting to see people they will kill from 2000 yards, they wait for birds to appear, for 20 seconds, so they can get a 'shot'. And what a 'shot' they get.

These are the professionals in the field. But I also find them the most encouraging and helpful to new 'observers'. Any source of information is 'data' to them. Just provide time and place and other useful information. They don't always respond, but they do give great moral support.

This is a most honourable pursuit.

Human beings only got digital cameras like 20 years ago, which is just an arse scratch of a time relatively in human history. But humans have been watching birds since the dawn of man. Sometimes to hide from them (those big dinosaur things), but mostly to nick their eggs or just capture and eat the birds themselves.

So no true bird-watcher will ever do down another man's humble observations, no matter how blurry. And there is always someone out there with major photographic skills who understands depth of field and knows how to stop a shutter, and might even own a ghillie suit! So all the more reason to be humble.

Birds are not like us. They are probably the most alien creature to our own selves there is. Then again, think of reptiles. Maybe my theory was not so great after all. Some people are like snakes, others are like eagles.

But birds are not mammals. Neither are they reptilian. Ok, maybe technically reptilian...

Best not to think about what fishes are.

https://www.quora.com/Is-a-fish-a-mammal...ne-of-them

Just rapping.

I'll sort out that footage and upload it when I get a moment.
09-12-2019 07:38 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rigsby's post:
Leonard D Neubache
Rigsby Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(09-12-2019 05:37 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  This is a picture of a male Kookaburra having that conversation with his son.

[Image: 8794798-3x2-700x467.jpg]

Look, Daaad! You just don't understand, man! She loves me. Just coz you and Mum got a fucked up relationship, don't drag me down to your level, okay? This is real!

Look, Sooon! I've heard it all before. Never put them on a pedestal. They lap it up for a while, but it soon backfires when Peck Thunder Beak comes flying through and just swoops her up making her all weak in the wings!

Two words: pecking order.

As it goes for men among men, as it goes for women among women - it goes for all men (and women) - at the same time. That's how we ended up in the shit we ended up in today.

But the wise already know this.

And the unwise wish it just wasn't true.

Yes, we can learn much from the birds...

But at least those two 'warring' Kookaburras get to have the privilege of a 'fight'.

The son will become stronger, the dad will become more philosophical. Both will win in their own way.

At least one knows who the dad is and the other who the offspring is.

Just sayin'...
09-12-2019 07:55 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rigsby's post:
Leonard D Neubache
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Personally I appreciate the constant lessons the local birds teach me about genetically ingrained behaviour.

Choosing the right moment to build a nest and making it so expertly is never taught. They just do it out of sheer instinct. If you've ever closely examined a nest and seen how expertly they're crafted you would wonder how long it would take you to do it yourself, even with the aid of two hands much less attempting it with a beak.

Amazing stuff.

God demands of Man responsibility. God demands of Woman vulnerability. These are their curse and blessing alike. Libertianism is to Man as Feminism is to Woman.
09-12-2019 08:48 PM
Kona Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

You people want watch birds to watch come to my house for real. I keep good track of their comings and goings, too.

Here's a rundown of the daily avian activity I get around here:

Most common is the mynah bird.

[Image: 800px-Common_Mynah_on_a_tree..jpg]

Then I got the Hawaiian Cardinal:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYU9_VWmNDO7Splbc4TWQ...UfEyahttlQ]

The haole tern:

[Image: 800px-White_tern_with_fish.jpg]

We get Hawaiian hawks. These are endangered species and not supposed to be here, but they are:

[Image: 800px-Buteo_solitaries.jpg]

Cranes out the ying:

[Image: 20060318011705.jpg]

I see these things all the time. Its the Hawaiian Honeycreeper:

[Image: Himatione_sanguinea.jpg]

The best ones though is the Laysan Albatross family that lives in my yard. I love these guys:

[Image: laysanalbatrosbrendazahn.jpg]

Theres a litany of finches and ducks and owls and other birds too. Theres green parrots. Im gonna catch some when I get the time. People (including the cops) think I'm crazy for shooting the wild peacocks and chickens, but I have high-quality rare birds I'm trying to propagate and they go after my birds.

Aloha!
09-12-2019 09:38 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like Kona's post:
Leonard D Neubache, Roosh, TheFinalEpic, Nemausus
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

That's orthonologic cleansing!

09-12-2019 09:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leonard D Neubache's post:
Kona
Kona Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

Since my last post I have seen...

A Night Heron:

[Image: 320px-Nycticorax-nycticorax-004.jpg]

A bunch of shiny black birds I'm assuming are common ravens. There's a really endangered Hawaiian Raven that the government tried reintroducing, but those are up in the mountains a few miles from here.

[Image: 800px-Head_of_Raven.jpg]

Around six at night a ton of yellow and other warblers come out. I put feeders with these animal fat and sunflower seed cakes around the edge of my property to attract them because these little things eat lots of mosquitos.

[Image: 800px-Dendroica-aestiva-001.jpg]

I didn't see too many seabirds today now that I think about it. If you fish a lot you gotta learn which bird pods to chase because different seabirds eat different type of fish, which are in turn being chased to the top by the bigger fish down below them who are trying to eat the smaller fish.

Aloha!
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2019 03:03 AM by Kona.)
09-13-2019 03:01 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kona's post:
Leonard D Neubache
RIslander Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Fuck Canadian Geese. Every time I try to go for a run in late spring when they have their chicks with them they're always assholes blocking the path. They tuck their heads down low and charge you. I kicked one in the face in front of a family in self defense I figured for sure I was going to get arrested.

[Image: angry-mother-canada-goose-charging-walto...953294.jpg]

They're dead set cunts.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2019 03:46 AM by RIslander.)
09-13-2019 03:45 AM
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(09-11-2019 01:33 PM)Roosh Wrote:  Someone, perhaps a previously banned member, is waging some kind of spam jihad against the forum. He has registered numerous accounts with the intention of posting excerpts from romance novels. They are using multiple different VPNs from different companies that provide many IP addresses. It's possible this is also some sort of Mossad operation, since I have banned their numerous pro-Jewish accounts.

I'm putting Roosh's joke about being attacked by Mossad here in this thread since it spread its wings and soared majestically over quite a few heads.

09-13-2019 11:21 AM
Kona Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

Im going fishing and will be on the lookout for boobies. Brown Boobies are my favorite.

Here's a picture:

[Image: 220px-6A5A3225.jpg]

These eat larger fish which are chased by black marlins, which there are a lot of right now.

(09-13-2019 11:21 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  
(09-11-2019 01:33 PM)Roosh Wrote:  It's possible this is also some sort of Mossad operation, since I have banned their numerous pro-Jewish accounts.

I'm putting Roosh's joke about being attacked by Mossad here in this thread since it spread its wings and soared majestically over quite a few heads.

The first forum member to spot the elusive Rabbibird gets extra reputation points.

[Image: 14341962284_02299e09c5_z.jpg]

Edit: On the way out, I see one of these. These owls will stare you down. It's cool. Odd to see it in the daytime this late.

[Image: owl.png]

Aloha!
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2019 04:41 PM by Kona.)
09-13-2019 04:32 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like Kona's post:
Repo, BBinger, RIslander, Leonard D Neubache, wi30
frozen-ace Offline
Recovering Beta

(09-11-2019 10:24 PM)Roosh Wrote:  Canada goose

[Image: canada2.jpg]

Classic elegance.

Can you identify which Canadian goose you saw? Each goose type is unique. There are about 11 different subspecies of the Canadian goose.

Larger ones-
Atlantic
Hudson Bay
Giant
Western/ Honker/ Great Basin/ Moffitt
Lesser
Dusky
Vancouver (pretty rare)

Smaller ones-
Cackler
Taverner
Richardson
Aleut (almost went extinct)
09-14-2019 03:59 AM
wi30 Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(09-12-2019 12:15 AM)Going strong Wrote:  Anyway, as a bonus, below is the ornithologist pride of the Philippines, the monkey-eating Eagle:

[Image: vMO3pdM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape...ity=medium]

This bird looks like Donald Trump.
09-14-2019 06:51 PM
TheFunto Offline
Game Denialist

This owl (and a 2nd one, maybe its partner) has been all summer daily on the same corner spot of the building I work in Victoria BC Canada. I could not identify what species it is yet.

First few days there the crows were really spooked by it and kept getting close enough to touch, but this owl never moved whenever I am looking.

Apologies for the huge image, but I am having difficulty figuring out how to resize the image display.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: Yesterday 04:36 PM by TheFunto.)
Yesterday 04:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Tools]  Bird Repellent methods? Latan 7 1,125 06-01-2019 01:04 PM
Last Post: BBinger
  What to do in the evening instead of watching TV? abcdef 18 4,015 04-16-2018 11:10 PM
Last Post: MKE-Ed
Lightbulb Watching porn while working out Parlay44 18 44,930 11-08-2013 02:32 PM
Last Post: scorpion