I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The California thread
Beyond Borders Away
Peacock
Gold Member

The California thread
Getting messages from friends and family back home that they just got sudden notice that the power is getting shut off county-wide for possibly up to 5 days. May affect 34 different counties.

Apparently everyone scrambling for gas, food, and supplies.

- cars lining up at gas stations
- bags of ice to keep things cold
- gennies sold out at Costco
- biz grid even closing down and so lot of businesses will be closed
- certain credit cards & checks getting declined everywhere
- huge lines at supermarket and ATMs
- people complaining the won't be able to get meds being told by pharmacy to to emergency room
- everyone on FB describing it as a "madhouse"

My bro said they've been talking about the possibility all over Northern CA for months but that he wasn't preparing because our county wasn't going to be affected. Then suddenly 5 hours or so before shutdown they put out notice it was going off...

Pg&e claiming it's a safety precaution, based on the Carr fire, which was started because of faulty equipment. Probably worried about the lawsuits.

We grew up in the hills where 3-day power outages were quite common when I was a kid and a lot of people had generator power by default because they were off-grid. Not something we thought of as a big deal (most of my family have moved to "town" now). And certainly a lot of the over-domesticated softies are just overreacting.

But a couple things come to mind.

1) Living here on a small island in a 3rd world country (Philippines), the infrastructure can be pretty shaky, but I don't even get outages for 5 full days anymore...Kind of crazy to think about.

2) In my home county home invasion stick-up kind of robberies have become a huge nuisance. Largely because it's weed country and they want the grow money, but I imagine a lot of other counties in California get hit a lot too, between all the methheads and diversity. Makes you wonder if some people might see this as a field day. Then again, a lot of homeowners will be on edge with the guns out so maybe not the best time to be kicking in doors. You can bet that if I was home I'd be locked and loaded.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Of course, could just blow right by with only short periods of power being out. Guess we'll see.

Note: I don't know if 34 counties will actually lose power for sure or if the warnings will largely fall flat. All I know is they're pulling the plug for sure in mine.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2019 04:07 AM by Beyond Borders.)
10-09-2019 03:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 16 users Like Beyond Borders's post:
Captainstabbin, spokepoker, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Leonard D Neubache, Handsome Creepy Eel, Monty_Brogan, Barron, gework, 911, debeguiled, kruger41, billbudsocket, Gusamaso, kinjutsu, MusicForThePiano, Latan
Dr. Howard Away
Crow
Gold Member

RE: People Scrambling As 34 Counties in CA Potentially Lose Power For Up to 5 Days
https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-w...501564.php

^ I didn't believe it but I looked it up. Power being turned off as a precaution before high winds. Very Mad Max

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV
10-09-2019 05:06 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Dr. Howard's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, debeguiled, Gusamaso
AntoniusofEfa Offline
Robin

RE: People Scrambling As 34 Counties in CA Potentially Lose Power For Up to 5 Days
Good. It will move even more people towards self-sufficient wind and solar electricity generation, with a backup gas turbine. That is what I would have done if I had a house with a small land plot in the US.
10-09-2019 05:12 AM
SomeOneSomeWhere Offline
Pigeon

Reminds me of:

The California electricity crisis, also known as the Western U.S. energy crisis of 2000 and 2001, was a situation in which the U.S. state of California had a shortage of electricity supply caused by market manipulations and capped retail electricity prices.[5] The state suffered from multiple large-scale blackouts, one of the state's largest energy companies collapsed, and the economic fall-out greatly harmed Governor Gray Davis' standing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California...ity_crisis

California is a failing state propped up by propaganda to lure in harpies, narcissists and gay guys thirsty for the movie star lifestyle.

In reality they live in cramped housing surrounded by hostile mexicans, non stop traffic jams and nickle and dimed for everything while barely making ends meet - propping up the welfare state while chasing pipedreams.
10-09-2019 05:33 AM
[-] The following 7 users Like SomeOneSomeWhere's post:
Barron, 911, kruger41, doc holliday, Handsome Creepy Eel, MusicForThePiano, bucky
Leonard D Neubache Offline
Owl
Gold Member

The amazing thing is that after people shell out thousands of dollars buying stuff in order to maintain their lifestyle for a measly 5 days they'll quickly forget about the crisis and those generators and so on will sit gathering dust while the fuel in them turns to crap over a year or so, then when the next crisis looms they'll dust it off, be unable to start it and rush off to buy a new one.

The best time to buy emergency gear is a month or two after a low key emergency.

And the best emergency preparation you can make is to learn how to live with less luxuries. People that try to disaster-proof their current lifestyles are forever spending massive amounts of money and wind up chasing their own tails.

God demands of Man responsibility. God demands of Woman vulnerability. These are their curse and blessing alike. Libertianism is to Man as Feminism is to Woman.
10-09-2019 05:42 AM
[-] The following 14 users Like Leonard D Neubache's post:
Syberpunk, ilostabet, Beyond Borders, kruger41, Zenta, Matsufubu, dicknixon72, Gusamaso, Handsome Creepy Eel, kinjutsu, MusicForThePiano, kosko, Buck Wild, bucky
ilostabet Offline
Kingfisher

Good. Maybe it will remind some fad queers of what reality is.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.
10-09-2019 06:46 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like ilostabet's post:
Beyond Borders, Leonard D Neubache, Renzy, roberto, Gusamaso, Player_1337
Barron Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

[Image: giphy.gif]

two scoops
two genders
two terms
10-09-2019 06:49 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Barron's post:
Beyond Borders, debeguiled
JohnKreese Offline
Pelican

(10-09-2019 05:33 AM)SomeOneSomeWhere Wrote:  Reminds me of:

The California electricity crisis, also known as the Western U.S. energy crisis of 2000 and 2001, was a situation in which the U.S. state of California had a shortage of electricity supply caused by market manipulations and capped retail electricity prices.[5] The state suffered from multiple large-scale blackouts, one of the state's largest energy companies collapsed, and the economic fall-out greatly harmed Governor Gray Davis' standing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California...ity_crisis

[Image: 1200px-Logo_de_Enron.svg.png]

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump
10-09-2019 08:25 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JohnKreese's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
Beyond Borders Away
Peacock
Gold Member

(10-09-2019 05:06 AM)Dr. Howard Wrote:  https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-w...501564.php

^ I didn't believe it but I looked it up. Power being turned off as a precaution before high winds. Very Mad Max

That article seems to imply this is just some of the folks within Bay Area. My county is about 4 hours drive away. So definitely potential to be bigger than this implies (though much more rural north of the Bay).

Also, this small local news site saying could be up to a week.

http://kymkemp.com/2019/10/08/humboldt-c...JCKj6PKOMg

Quote:Over the course of the day, Humboldt County went from not expecting to be affected by a massive power shutoff to 30 counties in northern and central California, to, by mid-day being told that some areas might be affected but with a solid possibility that the King Salmon plant would be able to provide a backup, to now, when a letter from the Humboldt County Office of Emergency Services made clear to a number of schools, hospitals, etc. that much of the area should expect to be blacked out for as long as a week.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2019 08:45 AM by Beyond Borders.)
10-09-2019 08:33 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Beyond Borders's post:
debeguiled
Captainstabbin Offline
Hummingbird

(10-09-2019 06:46 AM)ilostabet Wrote:  Good. Maybe it will remind some fad queers of what reality is.

I'll bet the queers in the city will still have power. It's the people away from the city who are some of the last moderates and conservatives in CA being targeted.
10-09-2019 10:47 AM
RoastBeefCurtains4Me Offline
Ostrich

I knew last year when they assigned liability to PG&E for that big fire in Paradise that being a public utility was a loser's game, and they'd find some way to manage their liability under the new rules. Obviously the correct answer is to cut down the trees along the power lines, and to make sure the transformers and other electrical components are all maintained properly. I assume the best practices for this were worked out about 70 years ago.

The tree huggers in California are probably happy to cut off the power as a first principle, and if they can do so to avoid cutting down precious trees near power lines, that's just a bonus.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage
10-09-2019 10:57 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like RoastBeefCurtains4Me's post:
Captainstabbin, debeguiled, Monty_Brogan, Mr. Wolf, spokepoker, Handsome Creepy Eel
Sherman Offline
Pelican

Five days. That's completely nuts. In 10 years, the longest electricity has gone out in Mexico is 12 hours. California is being completely mismanaged and is now a third world country.

Rico... Sauve....
10-09-2019 11:30 AM
[-] The following 12 users Like Sherman's post:
spokepoker, Kingsley Davis, Leonard D Neubache, aeroektar, Handsome Creepy Eel, MusicForThePiano, Syberpunk, infowarrior1, kosko, MikeInRealLife, Buck Wild, kbell
Roosh Offline
Eagle

It has begun...

Quote:Large swaths of Northern California awoke without power Wednesday as Pacific Gas & Electric began a sweeping plan to shut off electricity to about 800,000 customers in a desperate attempt to avoid wildfires sparked by wind-damaged equipment.

The first power cutoffs, affecting about 513,000 customers, began shortly after midnight in several counties around Sacramento, including Placer and Yuba. As strengthening winds continue to roll out in the morning hours, millions of Californians will eventually be left in the dark.

By 12:30 a.m., power had been cut to large portions of wine country, including Napa and Sonoma valleys. Portions of Marin County just north of San Francisco lost power next. Minutes later, the utility cut service in El Dorado County and sections of the upper Sacramento Valley. By 5 a.m., the outages had extended to Humbolt County to the north, Marin County to the south and Nevada County to the east, according to a map provided by the utility.

The second phase of the shutoff is expected to occur around noon in areas around Silicon Valley and the East San Francisco Bay. About 234,000 customers in Alameda, Alpine, Contra Costa, Mariposa, San Joaquin, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties are expected to lose power between noon and 5 p.m.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story...ire-danger

Roosh
http://www.rooshv.com
10-09-2019 12:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Roosh's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Handsome Creepy Eel
Simeon_Strangelight Offline
Hawk
Gold Member

Hilarious - that's beyond 3rd world level. Guess the windmill graveyards of California are not doing it. Also the full-free-market solution doesn't seem to work either as European countries laughed about American energy systems. Those things need a butt-load of regulations and control from above frankly. And they are not that difficult to master - manage contingencies etc. It was cheaper, but far less reliable and more cumbersome.

[Image: energy67_01.jpg]

That's when you know that you go back to a developing country....
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2019 12:44 PM by Simeon_Strangelight.)
10-09-2019 12:43 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Simeon_Strangelight's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me
Easy_C Offline
Crow

Don’t be surprised if we find out that some of these are tests.
10-09-2019 02:08 PM
[-] The following 11 users Like Easy_C's post:
Simeon_Strangelight, Matsufubu, Leonard D Neubache, dicknixon72, John Michael Kane, Handsome Creepy Eel, infowarrior1, kinjutsu, Syberpunk, MusicForThePiano, homersheineken
Hypno Offline
Hummingbird

Failed state.
10-09-2019 04:08 PM
Beyond Borders Away
Peacock
Gold Member

Checked in with my brother before I crashed out last night:

"Yup, absolute clusterfuck. I'm sitting in line at gas station close to an hour now. Our friends liquor store was almost immediately broken into, power went out at 3-330, door busted in at 430-5, stole all lotto tickets and cigs. And ice cream..."

Guess the were brand new and didn't have a liquor license yet.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2019 10:48 PM by Beyond Borders.)
10-09-2019 10:47 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like Beyond Borders's post:
Leonard D Neubache, Handsome Creepy Eel, spokepoker, infowarrior1, Monty_Brogan, debeguiled
dicknixon72 Offline
Kingfisher

(10-09-2019 05:42 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  The amazing thing is that after people shell out thousands of dollars buying stuff in order to maintain their lifestyle for a measly 5 days they'll quickly forget about the crisis and those generators and so on will sit gathering dust while the fuel in them turns to crap over a year or so, then when the next crisis looms they'll dust it off, be unable to start it and rush off to buy a new one.

The best time to buy emergency gear is a month or two after a low key emergency.

And the best emergency preparation you can make is to learn how to live with less luxuries. People that try to disaster-proof their current lifestyles are forever spending massive amounts of money and wind up chasing their own tails.

That's how it was here in West Central Florida two years ago with Hurricane Irma. People buying up all sorts of foodstuffs - except for the Vegan section. HA! - in preparation yet as soon as the storm passed, local Facebook community pages are filled up with OMG SO HUNGRY Sad Sad NE1 KNOW IF PIZZA HUT IS DELIVERING YET????///

There was literally a 70-car line at a Burger King that was among the first restaurants to open.

What the fuck did you do with everything you just bought?
10-09-2019 10:53 PM
[-] The following 7 users Like dicknixon72's post:
Beyond Borders, Leonard D Neubache, Handsome Creepy Eel, spokepoker, infowarrior1, kinjutsu, Monty_Brogan
Beyond Borders Away
Peacock
Gold Member

PG&E Power Outage Shut Off: List of counties, cities affected by PG&E power outage in Bay Area, rest of California

https://abc7news.com/weather/list-areas-...26zdmZgnBQ

Quote:SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- PG&E has begun power outages that could impact nearly 800,000 customers across Northern and Central California.

10-10-2019 12:55 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Beyond Borders's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, spokepoker, debeguiled
TigOlBitties Offline
Woodpecker

It's insane that this is happening in the United States. California is moving closer and closer to the abyss, and happening even sooner than I thought.

Imagine how great California used to be, and now it's like a third world country. What a shame. I have a feeling stuff like this will be occurring more and more.
10-10-2019 01:29 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like TigOlBitties's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, spokepoker, Monty_Brogan, infowarrior1, Syberpunk, kbell
Handsome Creepy Eel Offline
Owl
Gold Member

I don't understand... wind damaged some infrastructure, and sparks from that infrastructure could cause wildfires [aren't wildfires bound to happen anyway? --Ed.], so the infrastructure will be shut down?

Mindblown2

Why not simply repair the infrastructure?????

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
10-10-2019 03:41 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Handsome Creepy Eel's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me
roberto Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

(10-10-2019 03:41 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  I don't understand... wind damaged some infrastructure, and sparks from that infrastructure could cause wildfires [aren't wildfires bound to happen anyway? --Ed.], so the infrastructure will be shut down?

Mindblown2

It's probably more likely the case that everything is tinder dry. High winds bring down powerlines- but this can be fixed in hours. Wildfires take somewhat longer and cause much more damage.

Maybe the eco warriors have prevented them from felling trees and keeping powerlines clear. Or maybe chronic budget cuts and mismanagement have. Or maybe you'd need such a wide clearfell to keep a safe zone from sparks in these conditions that it's not practical.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...
10-10-2019 05:03 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like roberto's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, spokepoker
Hypno Offline
Hummingbird

Blackouts to Berkley and Oakland coming next. Shits about to get real.

Although I'm sure the social justice warriors will be happy to do their part to combat global warming.
10-10-2019 05:16 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like Hypno's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Handsome Creepy Eel, infowarrior1, kosko, spokepoker, John Michael Kane
Beyond Borders Away
Peacock
Gold Member

(10-10-2019 03:41 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  I don't understand... wind damaged some infrastructure, and sparks from that infrastructure could cause wildfires [aren't wildfires bound to happen anyway? --Ed.], so the infrastructure will be shut down?

Mindblown2

I can only assume that their infrastructure is so fucked they wouldn't know where to start, at least not within a meaningful time frame.

That said, I also saw a comment somewhere that this was a "court order." Doesnt' mean anything - who knows which comments to trust online anymore. But maybe worth digging into.

10-10-2019 07:15 AM
[-] The following 7 users Like Beyond Borders's post:
Leonard D Neubache, Handsome Creepy Eel, infowarrior1, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, spokepoker, John Michael Kane, JiggyLordJr
MusicForThePiano Offline
Woodpecker

Still waiting for the big one to wipe that pathetic state off the face of the earth. Can't come soon enough.

You can't cheat nature.
10-10-2019 07:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  California Freshman Congresswoman In a Three-Way Relationship Dusty 6 688 Today 12:33 PM
Last Post: VNvet
  High school brawl in Stockton California tomtud 22 3,076 09-06-2019 08:27 AM
Last Post: Manbeline
  Shooting at Gilroy Garlic Festival in California... Cumlluminates 28 3,559 08-01-2019 11:42 PM
Last Post: Tail Gunner