I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

North Carolina
antman333 Offline
Pigeon

North Carolina
North Carolina thread

Currently living in NY, a buddy randomly invited me to join him in moving to Raleigh. Anybody from there? Cost of living is about half what I'm paying now, I've been there twice but I was but a young chap.

Mainly concerned with the nightlife, and the women. Everything else seems promising. Would be nice to ball out for half the price
10-10-2019 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
NoMoreTO Offline
Kingfisher

RE: North Carolina
I lived in Chapel Hill for 6 months on a work contract. Down there, I had friends the first Friday inviting me out for dinner and drinks after works. I really liked the area. Lots of transplants from the North, and all over so it isn't too closed in. There is still lots of proud Southern Culture but mixed with modernity, I didn't really see any racism which I was kind of looking for, but then again I'm white so who knows. I found it to be a really nice place.

Raleigh had a bit of nightlife, I liked it but I prefer smaller cities to places like NYC, Toronto.

Chapel Hill had a little arcade bar, a bourbon bar I used to like with pretty much every bourbon known to man, and a secret cocktail bar they called the 'car wash' which was my favourite.

3 hours East you have the ocean - Wilmington Beach is nice. And 4 hours west Ashville and the smokey mountains. A lot of people took of every other weekend to these places, or to the outer banks.

Tons of golf courses, if that's your game you'll be a happy man, or it might be worthwhile taking up. Its a big basketball area, not just the universities, but everyone there plays it which I loved. Basketball there, like in Indiana is the sport.

I would consider living there, all other things aside. I'd probably settle into one of the small towns and commute in, but that's me.

“Where the danger is, so grows the saving element.” ~ German poet Hoelderlin
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2019 09:30 PM by NoMoreTO.)
10-10-2019 09:29 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like NoMoreTO's post:
antman333, RoastBeefCurtains4Me
Alpone Offline
Robin

I've spent time in Raleigh and lived in Asheville for a few months on a work assignment. Chapel Hill has a fun college crowd and good nightlife. Lots of transplants like NoMore says, but it can boring. Outdoor recreation is a few hours away and the triangle area is mostly a sprawling company town with a lot of white collar company guys who moved to the area for work. It's a very family oriented, domesticated type of place. If that's not your scene, I recommend Asheville instead. Better outdoor stuff, better nightlife, and a nicer city overall.
10-10-2019 10:01 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpone's post:
antman333
Hypno Offline
Hummingbird

Those are smallish cities, so that is the biggest knock on them. Cost of living relative to professional opportunities is going to be good, esp compared to new york.

Research Triangle has a lot of highly educated folks so that is good.

Charlotte is becoming a banking hub and has lots of finance types and transplants, but again is a fairly small city. Its likely to grow a lot in the next 10-20 years. Real estate costs are already high relative to other places in NC/South.

Asheville is very small and very liberal. Not many professional opportunities. Lots of lesbians and wicca people move there. Lots of brew pubs. Nice to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.
10-11-2019 05:06 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypno's post:
antman333
GyopoPlayboy Offline
Robin

Will co-sign on everything written here about Raleigh so far and add:

CONS:
- It's got a very suburban feel. Driving is an absolute must, things are spread apart.
- There's no real nightlife. (I'm prepared to debate others on this...I could be judging a bit harshly, but I think even by Southern standards, it's still way behind.)
- Dating is obviously what you make of it. I've got friends who are killing it and those who can't get a date to save their lives. But it's certainly no NYC.
- Religious (listing this under PROS too. Some guys just don't wanna date girls who enjoy getting pumped full of the Holy Spirit every week.)

PROS:
- Very outdoorsy
- Lots of universities densely packed together provides a good pool of talent
- Girls are, on average, quite wholesome. (Tho my point of comparison is NYC, so my perspective is def probs skewed.)
- Religious (they are not foaming evangelical retards about it. going to church is just as natural a part of their upbringing as going to the market. they won't pressure you into it or judge you for not being religious. they practice their faith exactly the way people should, imo.)

Who Raleigh is ideal for:
-Northern Gen X with a young family looking for slower/more relaxed pace of life, friendly people. Even better fit if you are religious. And add an additional +5 to all stats if your kids enjoy playing Little league, hockey, basketball.

As Hypno mentions, real estate costs are actually quite high relative to other cities in the South. It's only really a bargain for people escaping the Northeast.
10-11-2019 10:33 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like GyopoPlayboy's post:
antman333, Aquarius
antman333 Offline
Pigeon

Cool. I appreciate all the responses. May be taking a flight down there for a weekend in november. Will post my impressions here
10-11-2019 07:16 PM
Thomas Jackson Offline
Woodpecker

This may not apply to you, but North Carolina is being flooded with Liberal Yankee transplants who are destroying the Southern culture.
10-12-2019 06:14 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Thomas Jackson's post:
NoMoreTO, Aquarius, Arcite
BrunBjørn Online
Pigeon

Anybody up to meet up in Raleigh? I'm fairly new to game and don't mind giving my two cents on Charlotte (moved there on my own the past nine months), and Raleigh (been here since the beginning of October). I agree that a lot of NC but specifically Charlotte is being flooded with northerners, but I suspect that to be the case with it being a huge financial hub. Definitely skewers culture for sure, attitudes are different.
10-15-2019 04:30 PM
John Michael Kane Offline
Hummingbird

It has been many years since I've been to NC, but a close friend of mine went recently and visited a buddy of his there. Seems like a great chill state that is pretty affordable and people are down to earth. I'd certainly consider moving there if I didn't have so many ties to California with close friends and family.

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein
10-16-2019 12:04 AM
MichaelWitcoff Online
Woodpecker

Lived in Asheville for a while. Cheap, great scenery and endless outdoor stuff to do there.

Return Of Kings contributor and best-selling author of "On The Masons And Their Lies."
10-16-2019 04:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Arcite Offline
Sparrow

I've lived in Charlotte for a few years. It's not been what I was hoping for when I moved here. People aren't very open or friendly, everyone kind of already has their little cliques, and everyone seems to be already be paired off in a couple. It's been hard to meet people and make friends. Part of the reason may be that there are so many transplants, many from New York to work in the banking industry. Also, in relation to everyone being paired off, Charlotte, though a city and not just a small town, seems to be the kind of place people who are from move away from after college and, if they return, it's only once they've gotten married and started a family.

What Thomas Jackson says about the culture is also true. If you're moving here because you think the South with its allegedly conservative values is going to be more in line with the life you want to live, prepare to be disappointed. Whatever vestiges of traditional America still exist are rapidly being diluted into oblivion by the deluge of liberal transplants from elsewhere in the country (and, of course, immigrants.)

Nevertheless, if anyone is nearby or passing through and wants to get together, PM me. It would be good to build a community of guys here who think the way many of us probably do.
10-17-2019 09:37 PM
Aquarius Offline
Woodpecker

(10-17-2019 09:37 PM)Arcite Wrote:  I've lived in Charlotte for a few years. It's not been what I was hoping for when I moved here. People aren't very open or friendly, everyone kind of already has their little cliques, and everyone seems to be already be paired off in a couple. It's been hard to meet people and make friends. Part of the reason may be that there are so many transplants, many from New York to work in the banking industry. Also, in relation to everyone being paired off, Charlotte, though a city and not just a small town, seems to be the kind of place people who are from move away from after college and, if they return, it's only once they've gotten married and started a family.

What Thomas Jackson says about the culture is also true. If you're moving here because you think the South with its allegedly conservative values is going to be more in line with the life you want to live, prepare to be disappointed. Whatever vestiges of traditional America still exist are rapidly being diluted into oblivion by the deluge of liberal transplants from elsewhere in the country (and, of course, immigrants.)

Nevertheless, if anyone is nearby or passing through and wants to get together, PM me. It would be good to build a community of guys here who think the way many of us probably do.

Everything you say here can be applied verbatim to Atlanta, except Atlanta "natives" do stay in Atlanta. The majority of natives, at least in the education and income bracket most forum members are in, are just the native-born children of earlier waves of Northern transplants from the 80s and 90s. Social life and dating with these "locals" are dominated by cliques from UGA Greek Life that are almost unbreakable for outsiders. Not to mention even within former SEC Greek Life cliques there are further cliques.

Conservatism in Metro Atlanta ends at fiscal conservatism. People aren't very friendly either and there is little to no southern culture. You can go for weeks without hearing a single white southern accent and if you do, its usually a baby boomer. It has the same problems with liberalism, degeneracy, and homelessness that American cities its size suffers from. Under the veneer of ubiquitous construction and Corporate America money, the City of Atlanta politics is about as corrupt and reverse-racist as the City of Baltimore: rampant crime and stench from the homeless affects areas where studio apartments go for up to $2,000 a month. You won't find any southern culture in those prime areas, and the more upscale suburbs have a very transplant (Yankees, increasingly Asian and IRT immigrants) feel to them.

To get back on topic, does anyone know about the Piedmont Triad region, especially Winston-Salem? It seems that this is the only major population and employment area that is still culturally North Carolina.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2019 10:21 PM by Aquarius.)
10-17-2019 09:54 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Aquarius's post:
Nulled

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  North Dakota Oil Jobs Duke Castile 151 83,036 12-08-2017 08:58 PM
Last Post: eonbre
  Move to North Dakota MikeCF 178 107,907 11-23-2014 06:00 PM
Last Post: Pete
  [Business]  US/North American Energy Independence Bad Hussar 0 1,278 04-03-2014 02:18 PM
Last Post: Bad Hussar