I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Changing career in your 30s
flyinghorse Offline
Woodpecker

Changing career in your 30s
Has anyone here successfully transitioned career in their 30s?

I've been working in education for the past three years but my passion for the job has really dried up this last year. Teaching is not exactly a high paying job so if there is no passion it makes it much easier to walk away.

The rough plan is to retrain in digital marketing with a focus on SEO (although I have a lot to learn). My contract as a teacher lasts until July 2020 so this gives me around 8 or 9 months to learn from almost scratch* enough to make a living in marketing.

*I have experience in sales and in journalism as I did these as part time gigs while at university
11-06-2019 08:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
rpg Offline
Ostrich
Silver Member

RE: Changing career in your 30s
(11-06-2019 08:40 AM)flyinghorse Wrote:  Has anyone here successfully transitioned career in their 30s?

I've been working in education for the past three years but my passion for the job has really dried up this last year. Teaching is not exactly a high paying job so if there is no passion it makes it much easier to walk away.

The rough plan is to retrain in digital marketing with a focus on SEO (although I have a lot to learn). My contract as a teacher lasts until July 2020 so this gives me around 8 or 9 months to learn from almost scratch* enough to make a living in marketing.

*I have experience in sales and in journalism as I did these as part time gigs while at university

3 years is nothing. Change schools.
11-06-2019 08:46 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes rpg's post:
Syberpunk
Easy_C Offline
Crow

(11-06-2019 08:40 AM)flyinghorse Wrote:  Has anyone here successfully transitioned career in their 30s?

PM me. It may be easier than you think.

Generally, in this type of situation you're looking at two potential gameplans and how you approach it will depend on your credentials which you may be reluctant to share publicly.

I do know people who have made similar transitions. We had one guy in my class who worked as cook and switched into capital markets work if you want one hell of a career transition. Teaching is surprisingly easy if you can articulate that skill set well and I actually have something in mind assuming that you've got relatively good people skills and decent enough academic credentials.
11-06-2019 09:07 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Easy_C's post:
flyinghorse
SomeOneSomeWhere Offline
Sparrow

If you are a native English speaker you can always teach internationally.

The better your credentials the higher your chances that you can obtain a job in a good international school.

Just make sure it's a safe country with a real legal process where women aren't known to be crazy psychos so you don't end up like this guy. (he wasn't even a lone man but married)

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019 09:21 AM by SomeOneSomeWhere.)
11-06-2019 09:20 AM
flyinghorse Offline
Woodpecker

I don't want to do education, guys. My heart isn't in it and I don't want to do a job I hate.
11-06-2019 09:30 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes flyinghorse's post:
BlueMark
Enoch Offline
Ostrich

^ You can change but going into SEO is tough. Lots of competition, much of it extremely low cost out of India.
11-06-2019 11:45 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Enoch's post:
Dr. Howard, BBinger
RoastBeefCurtains4Me Offline
Ostrich

I made a career change in my 30's. I was a skilled tradesman, and I went back to college and got a STEM degree. My current STEM job is somewhat higher paying, but not tremendously so. My skilled tradesman job would pay quite well if I were still doing it. Also, I still have large student loans. It took me a number of years to finish school on a part time basis, so I was mid 40's by the time I finished my last degree.

On the positive side, my current job is much more interesting and has a much higher level of prestige (not super high prestige, but a professional career is higher than a skilled tradesman). I had a problem before I returned to school where I would work all day, and get home with nothing interesting to talk about from my day. My life is much more interesting now.

Also, I haven't peaked yet in my current career even though I am in my mid 50's. I have prospects to do quite well in the next several years.

All in all, changing careers in your 30's is quite doable, but you might find yourself taking a long time to complete the switch and see the payoff. If you do it, I'd make sure you're truly interested in the new career. It sounds like your primary motivation is boredom/dissatisfaction with the current career. You probably only have one real chance to switch to something new, so make sure it's something you'll like, because you'll be stuck with it, or might have to go back to teaching if it doesn't work out.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage
11-06-2019 12:28 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like RoastBeefCurtains4Me's post:
BlueMark, Dr. Howard, WombRaider, Okami7, Monty_Brogan
tomtud Offline
Pelican

I knew a guy who ran a body shop. Late 30s saw that there is no future with this industry went onto become an apprentice plumber. Today, he is 43 -44 has his license and is making decent coin.
Change. Who the F cares. Usually,,,, Nobody really cares what you do, they usually care of what you have. Interpret that however you want. Point is, be happy and ignore the haters.
11-06-2019 01:26 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like tomtud's post:
Dr. Howard, WombRaider, ZAMSKI, flyinghorse
Dr. Howard Away
Crow
Gold Member

I changed career in my mid 30s, the initial 2 years were rough, but now its great. Its not a big deal and you can accelerate past other newbies based on your mature work ethic.

I also concur that SEO may be tough to do, I have a client that does SEO for a business, he did really well up until about 4 years ago, now he said that competition is tight. Other advertisers that I work with have been pushing more social media over SEO as well

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV
11-06-2019 01:29 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dr. Howard's post:
flyinghorse
wwtl Offline
Banned

I'm looking into this as well.

I have an IT background, but I find working there just soul-crushing, especially with how (evil) the tech industry has turned out.

OTOH I love music and wouldn't mind doing something related to make coin.
11-06-2019 05:09 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes wwtl's post:
mehdreamer
flyinghorse Offline
Woodpecker

(11-06-2019 01:29 PM)Dr. Howard Wrote:  I changed career in my mid 30s, the initial 2 years were rough, but now its great. Its not a big deal and you can accelerate past other newbies based on your mature work ethic.

I also concur that SEO may be tough to do, I have a client that does SEO for a business, he did really well up until about 4 years ago, now he said that competition is tight. Other advertisers that I work with have been pushing more social media over SEO as well

I want to spend at least 3 months trying all areas of digital marketing and find out what is profitable and also what I enjoy the most. After 3 or 4 months I plan to focus on 2 or 3 areas of digital marketing and then become as knowledgeable as I can in as short of a time I can be.
11-06-2019 07:53 PM
bgbusiness Away
Kingfisher

Change if you don't like what you are doing.
You been in it for 3 years. What a waste. Go interview places in the area/industry that you are interested in!

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."
- Heat

"That's the difference between you and me. You wanna lose small, I wanna win big."
11-06-2019 11:31 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bgbusiness's post:
Syberpunk
kubrixrube Offline
Pigeon

OP, I would be curious to know how you ended up in education and why you ultimately didn’t like it.

Additionally, you can apply this insight onto the reasons why you now want to do digital marketing. What is different about digital marketing that will lead you to “stick” to it.

Changing careers is bold and I congratulate you for deciding to do so, I just hope you are changing careers to one that will truly fulfill you and not just something you see as more profitable than what you’re currently doing.
11-07-2019 01:56 AM
flyinghorse Offline
Woodpecker

(11-07-2019 01:56 AM)kubrixrube Wrote:  OP, I would be curious to know how you ended up in education and why you ultimately didn’t like it.

Additionally, you can apply this insight onto the reasons why you now want to do digital marketing. What is different about digital marketing that will lead you to “stick” to it.

Changing careers is bold and I congratulate you for deciding to do so, I just hope you are changing careers to one that will truly fulfill you and not just something you see as more profitable than what you’re currently doing.
My degree was in law and social policy - I genuinely wasn't good at law but ended up getting a decent degree because I scored very highly in ethics and policy.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do (after discovering law wasn't for me) and I knew I didn't want to go back into sales like I did in my early 20s. I got a job teaching ESL in Asia and loved my first year there and thought teaching was my career (I loved living abroad and I quite liked teaching).
I tried a new country in Europe but the job fell through and and then I came back and managed to get a job at an international school. It was my big break and I was about to be given a chance to get a masters sponsored so I could be officially a certified teacher in any country, but sadly I hated the position from the moment it began (too much admin, repetitiveness, spoilt students etc). I stuck it out for the until the end of year but ultimately decided not to get a masters because I hated it.

I then decided to give it one more year at another company but by then the passion was fading more each week until I've finally realized that I don't want to do a job where a half arse it for so, so pay. I'm currently working with young students 3 days a week and teaching advanced English and essay writing to university students 2 times per week.

I've dabbled in sales, journalism, and copywriting over the years; and now I want to learn more and try and transform this into a functional career.

I only have a loose plan to study more and practice these skills and try and find work. The good thing is I have until next summer before my contract is up and I need to actually make a living from this new career.

Its scary changing career but I don't have that much to lose.
11-07-2019 02:44 AM
kubrixrube Offline
Pigeon

OP, I would be curious to know how you ended up in education and why you ultimately didn’t like it.

11-07-2019 01:59 PM
kubrixrube Offline
Pigeon

Then I think you’ve answered your own question. Do your best, have a plan B, and good luck to you!
11-07-2019 05:22 PM
RIslander Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Become a pilot. 30k for training and you'll have a commercial license in a year. Puddle jump for another year and either go to a regional airline for 60k a year with bonuses to start or fly corporate for possibly more depending on your location. As long as you don't have a criminal past or medical issues you should be good. Or not an American... I don't know anything about flying in other countries.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT
11-07-2019 06:25 PM
BoiBoi Offline
Kingfisher

I did exactly that. Here is my thread about it.

https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-40506.html

P.S. Since posting the thread above, my salary has increased quite considerably.
11-08-2019 11:38 AM
Bienvenuto Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

OP, what happened to that novel you were writing?
11-09-2019 09:11 AM
TheBoom Offline
Sparrow
Gold Member

Be careful when changing careers in mid thirties because of ageism. Marketing is the worst for age discrimination and digital marketing is one of the worst in marketing.

I changed careers in my 30s by going back to school and getting an MBA from a top school. I ended as a marketing exec and management consultant in tech. By 40 though I had to start working around age issues. It got really bad after 50.

There is a belief that people over 30 can't get new marketing trends which serves as a great excuse to hire cheaper young talent.

There are some other problems with marketing :

1. In layoffs marketing is the first fired, last hired at most companies and those are used as an excise to get rid of older workers. Older = 40 + unless top executives who can make it to 50

2. Marketing is increasingly the place where they can dump women and that makes marketing departments a frustrating and dangerous place economically and sanity wise for males whether as employees or vendors.

3. Just owning your own marketing services company won't give you a pass on the age and gender issues but won't be as bad

If you want to continue living oversees you can make good money being a finance /economics or Stem teacher at a private high school. ESL isn't the way to go. In Thailand for example teaching one of those fields at a private high school can get you up to 10k per month with a free apartment, Healthcare, and two meals a day at school. I know some men who pretty much save their entire salary

If you want a long career and one without a lot of politics, I would look at finance or something in medical. In those fields being. middle age is actually an advantage. However, in finance you need to do something that won't be readily automated by robots which is happening a lot and will happen more.

Although, you will still have to deal with marketing using your copywriting experience can be something you can do location independent if you like it and are good.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2019 10:11 PM by TheBoom.)
11-09-2019 09:52 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheBoom's post:
Dream Medicine
velkrum Offline
Woodpecker

switched to medical field

Pro's
  • Tons of money 60k-80k/yr which will triple as you climb the education ladder
  • Work gets easier, less messy and less stressful the higher in rank you climb
  • Able to work ANYWHERE in the world, literally anywhere, you never have to worry about finding a job that will pay you an above avg wage. The more rural and remote, the bigger the paycheck !
  • Work when you want (I make my own schedule)
  • Pushes you to become smarter, more organized, and a better leader
  • People (men and women) with bachelor degrees and higher in the medical field are generally very intelligent, worldly, and always have inspirational stories of failure and success.
  • Satisfaction of healing people
  • Able to work independently and not rely on anyone else (except to say hello and exchange friendly work banter)
  • Camaraderie you develop with other medical professionals who go through similar struggles (inner circle)
  • A team of people work for you and follow your instructions (which can also be a con)

Con's
  • 99% of your co-workers are women
  • Medical field attracts dysfunctional, controlling, aggressive, manipulative women (NEVER EVER GET INTO A SERIOUS RELATIONSHIP WITH A NURSE)
  • Job is easy, crappy people are what make it stressful.

Inferior Game + Inferior Genetics = Incel
Superior Game + Inferior Genetics = Incel

Inferior Game + Average Genetics = Friend zone
Superior Game + Average Genetics = Beta Bucks
Inferior Game + Superior Genetics = Alpha
Superior Game + Superior Genetics = Game of Life: now on EASY mode
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 12:10 PM by velkrum.)
11-11-2019 11:58 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes velkrum's post:
Zenta
Zagor Offline
Sparrow

When did you switch and how long did it took?
11-11-2019 01:01 PM
HHkar Offline
Pigeon

How about some skilled/trade job?

I have a public sector union skilled job. The money is good for how much I do, superb benefits and ample vacation for US standards. At times, I have good downtime to read and etc. Plus, the stability is there, but dealing with my crap coworkers is the downside and schedule is poor.
11-11-2019 02:25 PM
uncledick Offline
Woodpecker

I went from construction into health care in my 30s and have quite a successful career in it at the moment. So it can be done. I was able to do it tho because i had good support from my family and no kids. I had the time to hunker down and get a 4 year degree done. Now i have flexabilty and a good work to living life ratio. In construction i was always one or two weeks from unemployment and the constant moving around was not ideal whatsoever for any sort of family formation, that and unions are ceasing to exist in most areas of the field, so you had no benefits or job protections for the most part. Also working 16 hour days is a young mans game, who wants to do shifts like that in thier 40s? I mean i know guys that do it, but their bodies are riddled with muscle/joint/bone issues and they need to pop pain killers/opiates throughout the day just to get through it. Nevermind the cocaine/nicotine/caffeine/sugar consumed throughout the day to stay awake and functional.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 02:50 PM by uncledick.)
11-11-2019 02:42 PM
flyinghorse Offline
Woodpecker

(11-09-2019 09:52 PM)TheBoom Wrote:  Be careful when changing careers in mid thirties because of ageism. Marketing is the worst for age discrimination and digital marketing is one of the worst in marketing.

I changed careers in my 30s by going back to school and getting an MBA from a top school. I ended as a marketing exec and management consultant in tech. By 40 though I had to start working around age issues. It got really bad after 50.

There is a belief that people over 30 can't get new marketing trends which serves as a great excuse to hire cheaper young talent.

There are some other problems with marketing :

1. In layoffs marketing is the first fired, last hired at most companies and those are used as an excise to get rid of older workers. Older = 40 + unless top executives who can make it to 50

2. Marketing is increasingly the place where they can dump women and that makes marketing departments a frustrating and dangerous place economically and sanity wise for males whether as employees or vendors.

3. Just owning your own marketing services company won't give you a pass on the age and gender issues but won't be as bad

If you want to continue living oversees you can make good money being a finance /economics or Stem teacher at a private high school. ESL isn't the way to go. In Thailand for example teaching one of those fields at a private high school can get you up to 10k per month with a free apartment, Healthcare, and two meals a day at school. I know some men who pretty much save their entire salary

If you want a long career and one without a lot of politics, I would look at finance or something in medical. In those fields being. middle age is actually an advantage. However, in finance you need to do something that won't be readily automated by robots which is happening a lot and will happen more.

Although, you will still have to deal with marketing using your copywriting experience can be something you can do location independent if you like it and are good.
Not all of us can do stem and mathematics based jobs.

I have no natural aptitude in that field. I remember getting top grades in history, English, law, psychology, but for whatever reason I couldn't get to grips with maths and failed.
Yesterday 10:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Learning a language: a proven life-changing decision Going strong 41 19,004 12-11-2018 10:28 AM
Last Post: Obermarschall
  Changing your Big Five personality traits Merengues 18 3,733 02-16-2018 02:41 AM
Last Post: Montrose
  Life Changing Decision: Considering Living With A Sick/Injured Parent Sam Malone 42 6,426 01-31-2018 04:16 PM
Last Post: TheGoldenJew