I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

As you age, it gets harder to travel
HHkar Offline
Pigeon

As you age, it gets harder to travel
Anyone feel that as you've gotten older it gets harder to travel(mentally/physically)?

To break it down, you feel more physically and mentally tired as you're going to city to city or country to country. I recently came back from a trip to Spain and Denmark; I was super exhausted afterwards. I even had a private room in a hostel which allowed me to be social and get decent sleep.

Perhaps, it had something to do with packing in sightseeing and going out at night. If you only have 2-3 weeks in Europe, you've got to make the most of it.

Thoughts?
11-10-2019 08:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes HHkar's post:
Eddie Morra
Sherman Offline
Ostrich

RE: As you age, it gets harder to travel
As I get older, I have already seen all the things I want to see, so only travel for necessity. The experience of seeing new countries is greatly overrated. In addition, air travel is becoming more onerous, with security and smaller seats and the real possibility of a long flight sitting next to someone's support pig.

Rico... Sauve....
11-10-2019 09:01 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like Sherman's post:
D'Kora Koloth, Eddie Morra, MichaelWitcoff, JiggyLordJr, whitewashedblackguy, nek
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

The thing I like about traveling as I get older is that the chicas stay the same age.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
11-10-2019 11:09 PM
[-] The following 24 users Like scotian's post:
jordypip23, arafat scarf, RDF, kinjutsu, TooFineAPoint, rottenapple, Going strong, Beyond Borders, JiggyLordJr, bacani, Zenta, Caractacus Potts, BBinger, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, doc holliday, ZAMSKI, kruger41, Buddydowrongright2, Windom Earle, flanders, Laner, jackthenerd, PrimeTime32, Agrippa
uhriginal Offline
Sparrow

Yeah I won’t be making any big trips any more. Travel has become overrated after doing it for a while. Another “historical” building. Another “top rated restaurant”. Another big night club. It’s all the same shit

But I do agree w the above, I’ll be making continuous trips to Colombia and Mexico. The rest of the world can kick rocks.
11-10-2019 11:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 7 users Like uhriginal's post:
Eddie Morra, scotian, Going strong, JiggyLordJr, bacani, whitewashedblackguy, nek
RawGod Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

You are speaking about upgrading to a private hostel room - so I guess you're a pretty young guy. So no, i don't think that your age is making you physically more tired when you travel. Maybe when you are 50+ you might find that. But in your case I imagine it's other factors. Jetlag, health, dehydration, poor nutrition, or just being tired of travel.

As you get more travel experience under your belt you get less hyped about it and sure, it starts to get old. Like any experiences in life.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

I have had this sig since 2015 and received thousands of post likes; yet not one person has commented on my sig. Perhaps you're familiar with the work it parodies? Let me know!
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 12:35 AM by RawGod.)
11-11-2019 12:33 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like RawGod's post:
Going strong, BBinger, Handsome Creepy Eel
The Catalyst Offline
Pelican

I'm young and I don't like traveling
11-11-2019 12:42 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Catalyst's post:
debeguiled
Yeah Right Offline
Pigeon

I'm beginning to enter my mid 30s, and I feel the pains of traveling now. Unfortunately I only discovered it right after turning 30 - a long time to be not doing it (I've been to a few countries before though with family/other situations). All I can do now is just do as much of it as possible till I am sick of it or become content. Also the concept of meeting women by chance while traveling is starting to go away since I hate hiding my age ("how old are you by the way"?) when I meet them and I simply am having less energy to drink and dance/hang out all night, etc. I hope to see as much of the world as I can before all kinds of life events that happen as you get older (establishing career, meeting/settling with high quality woman, putting roots in location you wish to live in long term, taking care of older family members, etc.). So I accepted I have to move quickly. The good thing is at least I have some logistics left (friends/family living in key places in the world, being very good at finding cheap plane tickets/lodging, few friends left to travel with) but moving quickly is a very important key
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 01:27 AM by Yeah Right.)
11-11-2019 01:06 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Yeah Right's post:
Going strong, spaceman
MichaelWitcoff Offline
Kingfisher

I've noticed that I don't really want to as much. I spent ages 20 through 27 moving around every year or year and a half, thoroughly enjoyed those experiences, and never had roots anywhere. But the last few years I've had roots in various groups and places, and I've come to appreciate developing relationships over time more than the novelty of always moving around. I do still want to see Asia though.

Jewish convert to Orthodox Christianity and best-selling author of "On The Masons And Their Lies."
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 04:04 AM by MichaelWitcoff.)
11-11-2019 04:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes MichaelWitcoff's post:
redbeard
HHkar Offline
Pigeon

I'm in a similar boat as you Yeah Right. I know eventually it'll just be too difficult to travel with life events occurring. I feel ya on having less energy to "drink/hang out all night", I did that on my trip multiple times and a few times all I was thinking about was being in bed and watching youtube or reading a book lol. I still enjoy meeting people esp. women, but even the novelty is wearing off.

Good point, uhriginal. How many "historical buildings" can you see? After awhile, it all starts to look the same. I do like sporting events abroad esp soccer, the level is just different compared to the states.
11-11-2019 04:16 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes HHkar's post:
whitewashedblackguy
Spectrumwalker Offline
Kingfisher

Im early 30s. Went pretty hard the last 6 years, I'm starting slow down. I've get bored faster nowadays. Novelty of it all is kind of wearing off. Admittedly never really was into all the touristy stuff other than a few things here and there. But I've resorted to playing copious amounts of Tetris and Sonic the hedgehog for mental stimulation instead of reading, hanging out at bars and... courting...women. Which scares me. That ain't a good sign. I could go to the gym. But everythings heavy. I work a real job back home where you don't need to go to a gym so I find the concept demeaning. And I can't stand everybody lookin themselves in the mirror like theyre badasses or dickin around on there phones wasting space and air. But the biggest drag for me nowadays is the travelin to get there. Fuckin a thats getting old. Getting molested and blasted with radiation by federal cocksuckers at airports. Lines. Wondering if that muzzy over there is gonna spontaneously combust. Feeling a sense of unwarranted guilt about something even though you know you're innocent as you approach the immigration goombahs who grill you about what you're doing and why. Being couped up in a sardine can at 30000 feet breathing recycled air next to nasty people, crying babies, and homo flight attendants fingering ice out of your dranks. Not to mention of course the constant anxiety of whether or not you're gonna fly off the edge of the earth.Confused It's getting to be to much. That alone is making me wanna take a break from international travels for awhile. Been thinking about it. I miss my truck. All alone and neglected in storage. Poor ole girl.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 05:02 AM by Spectrumwalker.)
11-11-2019 04:58 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like Spectrumwalker's post:
Zenta, doc holliday, Syberpunk, Laner
Irn Bru Protein Offline
Sparrow

Travelling is a young man’s game.

What 40+ year old wants to share a 27 bed dorm at some shithole hostel, with a bunch of dreadlocked layabouts farting, banging and turning the lights on all night.

Travelling for me is a holiday, relaxing by the pool for a week and taking advantage of an all inclusive package.
11-11-2019 05:03 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Irn Bru Protein's post:
jordypip23
Vladimir Poontang Offline
Pelican

If you travel a lot, but there's no meaning to what you're doing, I think that's what can become tiring. As you get older you can't be bothered to do stuff that has little or no meaning, and the range of things that truly satisfy you is well established and very specific, so you feel like you're tired. But it's not real tiredness, it's just disillusionment. It's not a question of less or more travel, it's a question of why you're doing it and what you're getting out of it. If it's truly fulfilling, you will have the energy.

That's not how we do things in Russia, comrade.

http://inspiredentrepreneur.weebly.com/
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 05:49 AM by Vladimir Poontang.)
11-11-2019 05:47 AM
[-] The following 9 users Like Vladimir Poontang's post:
Spectrumwalker, Eddie Morra, JiggyLordJr, MikeInRealLife, Zenta, Syberpunk, whitewashedblackguy, Dream Medicine, Handsome Creepy Eel
lunchmoney Offline
Woodpecker

Travel for leisure should be enjoyable and exciting. If you are not up to travel, don't force the issue.
11-11-2019 07:26 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like lunchmoney's post:
Eddie Morra, Syberpunk, Handsome Creepy Eel
No More Mr. Soy Boy Offline
Woodpecker

It depends.

As with girls I've become more interested in quality rather than quantity. When I was younger I didn't mind going out during the winter time in Europe and stay at cheap places and go sightseeing. I would also get excited by going on dates 6's and 7's.

That's not the case anymore. I rather do all this when the weather is better and go on dates with girls that really turn me on.

So travel when the weather is better and when people in the country will be in a better mood too.
11-11-2019 11:35 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes No More Mr. Soy Boy's post:
pico
Vladimir Poontang Offline
Pelican

How to bang 500 girls in the Philippines in 30 days! Every time I see one of those, I just think why, what's the point.

That's not how we do things in Russia, comrade.

http://inspiredentrepreneur.weebly.com/
11-11-2019 03:50 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Vladimir Poontang's post:
Zenta, Handsome Creepy Eel
TheGreatLogos Offline
Banned

(11-10-2019 11:09 PM)scotian Wrote:  The thing I like about traveling as I get older is that the chicas stay the same age.

This isn't a fornication forum.
11-11-2019 08:35 PM
Zenta Offline
Robin
Gold Member

(11-11-2019 08:35 PM)TheGreatLogos Wrote:  
(11-10-2019 11:09 PM)scotian Wrote:  The thing I like about traveling as I get older is that the chicas stay the same age.

scotian is well aware. Did you just make a new account to troll?
11-11-2019 11:23 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Zenta's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, scotian
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Who said anything about fornication dick head? I just arrived in Colombia and I brought a bible with me, looking forward to reading it during my trip and attending mass, likely with some chicas.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
11-11-2019 11:46 PM
[-] The following 14 users Like scotian's post:
tomtud, Winston Wolfe, Zenta, rottenapple, Windom Earle, Thriller, d'Aversa, flanders, Spectrumwalker, Dream Medicine, jordypip23, Laner, Handsome Creepy Eel, PapayaTapper
tomtud Offline
Pelican

(11-11-2019 11:46 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Who said anything about fornication dick head? I just arrived in Colombia and I brought a bible with me, looking forward to reading it during my trip and attending mass, likely with some chicas.

As they say in Colombia.... esoooooooooo!
Yesterday 12:31 AM
SomeOneSomeWhere Online
Sparrow

I don't know if it has to do with me being older or simply that I have already traveled a lot, but when there is no excitement and anticipation anymore the experience becomes pure stress and I try to soften it as much as possible by taking limousines to the airport, good lounges, business class if it's affordable and I'm actually getting something for my money, definitely only direct flights and high end hotels with good service and even then I often feel like I just should've stayed at home instead. Big Grin

Before smartphones and 4k walks on YouTube everywhere you at least had the great unknown if you would fly to Japan or w/e but nowadays it's all pretty meh tbh.
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 02:20 AM by SomeOneSomeWhere.)
Yesterday 02:19 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes SomeOneSomeWhere's post:
pico
BangBoy123 Away
Woodpecker

@irnbru

You make it sound like people only travel this way! Perhaps this is how you travel Wink
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 07:25 AM by BangBoy123.)
Yesterday 07:24 AM
Laner Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

I pretty much hate it now.

Traded in the plane bullshit for a Chevy Suburban and a family. Pack that beauty up and hit the road for 10,000km every summer. Camping the whole way from Yukon to Oregon to Alberta.

I had to go to Amsterdam last year for work. It was painful. The flights. The people. The cattle system of airports. Jihadis went on a stabbing spree at Schiphol and shut it down for a day. During a blizzard. De -ice and go to the back of the line, ice up while we wait for a runway, then de ice again. Shitty old Airbus lifts off to creaks and moans and coughs from passengers with TB.

Booking a flight to Japan in the coming weeks. Its an island, so I have to make some exceptions. Sending my son for a month of pre school there and give my wife time to catch up with family and friends. Create a bond between my son and his Obachan.

But yeah, give me my 4x4, my gear, family and an open dirt road any fucking day.
Yesterday 02:47 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like Laner's post:
debeguiled, Handsome Creepy Eel, scotian, redbeard, arafat scarf, Spectrumwalker
Irn Bru Protein Offline
Sparrow

Bangboy

That’s the most productive way to travel when you’re a young buck.

I travelled the world solo in my 20s and stayed in some dives I tell you.

I wouldn’t change it for the world because it shaped me and gave me a right good kick up the arse.

However the idea of travelling like that now fills me with dread.

I’d rather ‘retain semen’ than travel nowadays
Yesterday 04:12 PM
questor70 Offline
Ostrich

You have to have a really good reason to go somewhere besides just taking instagram selfies.

I did not enjoy going to NYC over the summer because it was simply a place I wanted to tick off a box since it was close. But the previous two trips I made to Iceland and Hawaii were very memorable, because they are so exotic and yet polar opposites.

It's also really key to have enough time to take everything in. If you overfill your itinerary then you A.D.D. your way from one photo op to another then it's just not worth it. It's better to do less and let where you are sink in more. With both of these trips I split the difference, spending part of the week doing traditional sightseeing and activities and the rest of it decompressing in a quiet are. I think that's a good approach.
Yesterday 06:56 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes questor70's post:
PapayaTapper
HD668B Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

After 10+ years of "nomad" lifestyle for me the biggest difference is between traveling solo or not.

When younger, part of the experience was to show up in new city/country, most likely in a hostel, and have constant social interactions to meet up wingmans (who might end up friends) and/or women.

But after some time you realize that those new social interactions take effort and energy. Also when you are younger its way easier to connect to other travelers "hey bro first time in Slovakia? fuck yeah lets get drunk on beers!" But then with age and experience you forge yourself a specific personality and basically most guys and girls become boring to you.

And you dont really wanna spend the time/energy on new social interactions, because it becomes a redundant chore.

So now I only do quick travel trips with close friends of mine, so we share a cool experience together without worrying about external factors.
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 07:02 PM by HD668B.)
Yesterday 07:01 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like HD668B's post:
PapayaTapper, Zenta

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Managing stress and stimulation so you can train harder. Steelex 2 1,295 11-07-2017 06:47 PM
Last Post: kurtybro
  Can Travel for Travel Writing Be Expensed? brianmark 3 3,622 07-02-2012 11:19 AM
Last Post: johnwu