Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Style Bespoke/made to measure suits in asia
IWantSpamandEggs Offline
Pigeon

Bespoke/made to measure suits in asia
Hello All,

I plan to spend some time in a few countries in SE and E Asia. I am hoping to change up my style a bit for when i get back to the states (I usually dress simple) I want to get more into suits. I currently own 2 made to measure suits (Charcoal Grey and Navy Blue) and looking to buy at least 3 more suits (medium grey, possible a lighter blue, and black). And 3 dress shirts.

As much as i want to buy them in America, I am a small person and I need to tailor the hell out of them in order for me to look good in it. So my question is: does anyone have any recommendations on where i should go (country and store) to get a good quality made to measure/bespoke suit at a good price?

Thanks

Edit 1: I am planning to buy a few more dress shirts... thinking at least 5 and maybe some vest.

So for now, lets say 3, 3 piece suits and 5 dress shirts

Edit 2: Budget wise... no more than 2-3 thousand USD, but I don’t want to spend for the sake of spending, IE for a Ralph Lauren polo shirt cost like 80USD, and I personally don’t think they are worth it.

Edit 3: I know I could go through the archives, but many of them are old and am not sure how outdated the information is.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 05:31 PM by IWantSpamandEggs.)
11-11-2019 05:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
John Michael Kane Online
Crow

RE: Bespoke/made to measure suits in asia
Hit up CleanSlate: https://www.rooshvforum.com/user-239.html

If memory serves, he posted about getting custom clothes made in Vietnam a while back. Can't find it now, but Vietnam is a major textiles powerhouse, so you'll probably find some quality threads at a decent price once you're there.

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein
11-11-2019 05:28 PM
Dr Mantis Toboggan Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

Tom's in Bangkok.

https://www.tomsfashion.com

Make sure you go to the correct place (right off Sukhumvit), there's a different "Tom's" in another part of town which is not the same.

Got 2 tailored suits, a blazer, and 5-6 shirts for around US$11k including having most of my order shipped back to the US. They also tour the US, Europe, and I think Australia a few times a year plus once they've got your measurements in their system you can order from their shop in Bangkok and they'll ship it anywhere in the world.

I got my Magnum condoms, I got my wad of hundreds, I'm ready to plow!
11-12-2019 07:45 AM
the-dream Offline
Kingfisher

(11-12-2019 07:45 AM)Dr Mantis Toboggan Wrote:  US$11k

Typo?
11-12-2019 08:10 AM
Horus Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Lots of places on Sukhimvit Road Bangkok, although the quality is hit and miss since most of them rely on one time customers who will never come back. Raja's Fashion is different in that many of their customers come back year after year. Prices are very good (although more expensive than other places nearby). quality and fit is great, and service is excellent. It's the only place which is constantly full of customers, while all other places are empty as they stand outside trying to lure customers in with dodgy deals. Don't get confused with the other place named Rajas which is very close.

Hoi An in Vietnam is also a popular place for very good prices. I can't recommend any place since mine didn't turn out well, but others I've seen were very good.

Don't get sucked in by seemingly incredible prices for stuff that turns out to be bad quality or fit that you will never wear. Good quality for amazing prices can be found, but you need to do your homework and be sure the place is reputable. And definitely don't trust anyone who says they can make a suit overnight before your flight - a decent suit takes time and at least three fittings.
11-12-2019 08:57 AM
Dr Mantis Toboggan Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

(11-12-2019 08:10 AM)the-dream Wrote:  
(11-12-2019 07:45 AM)Dr Mantis Toboggan Wrote:  US$11k

Typo?

Yes sorry, $1100. Very reasonable for everything I got.

Whatever you do do NOT go to that area of Sukhumvit and go into a random shop with an Indian guy out front trying to pull you in which there are dozens of in that area, most of them are cheap and shitty quality. Make an appointment with Tom's or one of the 2-3 other well regarded tailors in Bangkok, for your first appointment they will actually come pick you up at your hotel to make sure you get to the right place.

I got my Magnum condoms, I got my wad of hundreds, I'm ready to plow!
11-12-2019 09:50 AM
IWantSpamandEggs Offline
Pigeon

I am having some issues in regards to finding these other regarded tailors. I found a lot of tailors but am getting mixed reviews about them. Where else could I go?

Also I was thinking of going to Vietnam.. I speak the language and i plan to stay much longer. Does anyone have any experience with the tailors in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh?
11-12-2019 12:41 PM
Stealth Offline
Sparrow
Gold Member

This place in Hong Kong is pretty good. They do their tailoring over the border in Shenzen to save costs.

https://www.manningcompany.com/

A few tips:
  • Make sure you allow decent time (few days) so they can properly do the measurements/initial fit/finalization or whatever they call it.
  • Specify exactly what you want to every detail, don't assume how something will get done if you don't specify it.
  • Be very picky with materials (breatheability, wrinkliness, texture, colour, whatever's important to you).
  • Bargain. They'll go for package deals.
  • Be aware of customs allowances for bringing stuff back.
11-12-2019 10:21 PM
SomeOneSomeWhere Offline
Robin

suitsupply.com no need to deal with shady scummy 3rd world people giving you 3rd world quality. They have locations in most major cities.

In an ever worsening economic climate and a mexican (US) / rapefugee (Europe) invasion you really need to think if you want to make yourself a target for all kinds of people from jealous haters to straight up criminals though and gold diggers will go #metoo on you if they figure you aren't what you're projecting. (multi millionaire)

My blending in advice:

If you need one for business get one in Bill Browder, Putin, Trump, random mid level manager / consultant / government official style rather than wealthy dandy / old money style.

i.e.

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/na...e&pdp=true
https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/si...k&pdp=true
https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/na...e&pdp=true

For casual this style works without the fancy tissue:

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/seasonal...w&pdp=true
https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/seasonal...w&pdp=true

Always wear clean white sneakers with these instead of dress shoes.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2019 03:44 AM by SomeOneSomeWhere.)
11-13-2019 03:04 AM
IWantSpamandEggs Offline
Pigeon

The thing is that I am barely over 1.5m. The suits you provided, I would need to go get tailored and the last time I did that, I had to pay another 250 on top of the suit price. I ended up finding out I could’ve gotten a made to measure for the same price of similar quality.

I would rather go bespoke/made to measure to save the hassle.
11-13-2019 08:36 AM
SomeOneSomeWhere Offline
Robin

Damn, you surely lost out in the height lottery... Undecided

They have made to measure as well: (not all in stores though)

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/content-...asure.html
11-13-2019 08:52 AM
IWantSpamandEggs Offline
Pigeon

(11-13-2019 08:52 AM)SomeOneSomeWhere Wrote:  Damn, you surely lost out in the height lottery... Undecided

They have made to measure as well: (not all in stores though)

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/content-...asure.html

Haha. Unfortunately so, maybe I will have better luck in the money lottery.

Thanks I will check that out, but in store is slightly more important. If I’m just sending in my measurements and not seeing the fit, it’s not any different from those 3rd worked rip off tailors.
11-13-2019 07:24 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes IWantSpamandEggs's post:
Davidovich

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is it a good security measure to change your mobile number every once in a while? Kid Twist 14 2,329 10-23-2018 10:30 PM
Last Post: Drazen
  Custom Suits MikeCF 69 38,979 12-10-2017 06:04 PM
Last Post: Only8sandup
  [Style]  Gentleman Style--Hats for your suits. MOVSM 23 9,788 11-15-2017 03:28 PM
Last Post: YoungBlade