Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Fitness Need Gym-Specific Exercise Recommendations
TooFineAPoint Offline
Pelican

Need Gym-Specific Exercise Recommendations
Backstory
Usually work out at home, where I do bodyweight stuff (using floor, walls, and power-tower). But for this coming month my GF and I are getting gym and pool passes.

I'd like to do exercises I cannot achieve at home.

But I also will not have a spotter. So I will likely favor dumbbell over barbell exercises.

Home Exercises
This is what I normally do at home:
- pushup variations
- dips
- pullup variations
- handstand pushups
- full bridges
- pistol squats
- shrimp squats
- leg raises
- hangs

I'll continue some stuff in the gym, but the idea is to go beyond that.

The Plan So Far
Here is what I will do in the gym this month:

- rowing machine for cardio
- dumbbell clean and press
- farmer's walk variations
- deadlifts
- weighted bulgarian split squats
- calf raises (standing & seated, on machine)
- dumbbell bench press
- weighted back extensions

What Else Do You Recommend?
There are no rings, no climbing rope, and no heavy bag at this gym, sadly.

So what other exercises do you recommend I do, besides those listed above?

My preference is for compound work, not too complicated or injury-prone, and also targeting muscles that can only act as stabilizers during my normal home workouts.
11-26-2019 01:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
LeBeau Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Need Gym-Specific Exercise Recommendations

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2019 02:34 AM by LeBeau.)
11-26-2019 02:30 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes LeBeau's post:
TooFineAPoint
MichaelWitcoff Online
Kingfisher

Really depends what your goal is. Are you going for bulk, cut, body recomposition, better cardio, etc?

Jewish convert to Orthodox Christianity and best-selling author of "On The Masons And Their Lies."
11-26-2019 03:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes MichaelWitcoff's post:
D'Kora Koloth
TooFineAPoint Offline
Pelican

(11-26-2019 03:06 AM)MichaelWitcoff Wrote:  Really depends what your goal is. Are you going for bulk, cut, body recomposition, better cardio, etc?

Functional strength and bulletproofing of tendons/joints through full range of motion.

Particularly surrounding those muscles/muscle-groups/movements that are not taxed from my normal bodyweight workouts at home (list of those workouts is in OP).
11-26-2019 04:13 AM
d'Aversa Offline
Robin

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Quote:The StrongLifts 5×5 strength training program consists of two workouts…

Workout A: Squat, Bench Press, Barbell Row
Workout B: Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift

Do three workouts per week. Never train two days in a row or do two workouts in a day. Wait one day before doing your next workout. This gives your body time to recover, get stronger and build muscle so you can lift heavier next workout. Alternate workout A and B each time you train.

There's only 5 exercises, and each of them is described in detail. There's also a part about cardio, I personally recommend running, for the convenience if nothing else - you can do it anywhere and whenever you want.
11-26-2019 07:52 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like d'Aversa's post:
fokm, D'Kora Koloth
Belgrano Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

(11-26-2019 01:35 AM)TooFineAPoint Wrote:  But I also will not have a spotter. So I will likely favor dumbbell over barbell exercises.

My preference is for compound work, not too complicated or injury-prone, and also targeting muscles that can only act as stabilizers during my normal home workouts.

(11-26-2019 04:13 AM)TooFineAPoint Wrote:  Functional strength and bulletproofing of tendons/joints through full range of motion.

Particularly surrounding those muscles/muscle-groups/movements that are not taxed from my normal bodyweight workouts at home (list of those workouts is in OP).

11-26-2019 10:52 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belgrano's post:
TooFineAPoint
Hannibal Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Without a spotter, you could focus on exercises like these

Heavy one handed dumbbell snatch
Dumbbell clean and press/jerk
Weighted dips
Weighted chins
Dumbbell jump squats (I keep the dumbbells at my sides, pick a reasonably heavy weight and try to focus on maximum explosion and height for ten to twenty total reps)
Any and all forms of overhead press
Dumbbell bench if you can dump the weight
Any and all forms of rows, except upright row

As far as legs, hack squats, trap bar deadlift, hang cleans and regular dumbbell lunges for time will do fine for legs. Zercher squats where you deadlift the weight, rest it on your legs then scoop the bars with your elbows dont require a spotter or even a rack. The standard power lifts are not necessary for good development.
You could also do stuff like 50 rep goblet squats.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
11-27-2019 12:15 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hannibal's post:
TooFineAPoint
tsp216 Offline
Pigeon

In the long run, if you have settled down and serious about your health, then a home gym is a very good long term investment, in which case barbells > dumbbells any day.
Honestly, you shouldn't need a spotter for most exercises you're doing. If you are using a weight where you need a spotter, then either you are attempting to do too many reps with it and/or you have no business lifting that weight. The only exception would be when you are testing a 1RM or you're at a competition (in which case there will be referees and staff spotters anyways). There is no need to be maxing out your 1RM more than 3 times a year unless you are a serious professional competitor. Apart from the bench press, most lifts you don't even need a spotter anyways as you can fail on them safely.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2019 03:21 PM by tsp216.)
12-02-2019 03:20 PM
NoMoreTO Offline
Kingfisher

3D Dumbell Matrix was pushed hard by a functional strength coach of a Football team of mine back in the day. Its a solid warmup for a workouut and he used to push it for injury prevention. There are lots of variations.

This chick does it well with the lunges. Not sure whats going on with the dance music and Swedish accent guy.

It shows its colours as a bit of an old guy exercise.

“Where the danger is, so grows the saving element.” ~ German poet Hoelderlin
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2019 10:36 PM by NoMoreTO.)
12-02-2019 10:35 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes NoMoreTO's post:
TooFineAPoint
D'Kora Koloth Offline
Pigeon

It's doubtful you'll lift heavy enough that you can't deal with it yourself and truly need a spotter.

If you're squatting near your max, just use a power rack with pins. Or, depending on the gym and type of plates, just roll it off your back at the bottom. For bench, there are pins but you can just learn to roll it off as well. (As long as you have proper form and don't drop it on your neck. Rolling it off your chest to your hips and up is easy.)

Deadlifts you can drop, again depending on the gym and the plates. Overhead press and rows: just rerack.

Dumbbells are good to switch it up and work on muscle imbalances but don't remove all barbell exercises. If you want to go heavy, you'll max out dumbbell squats and deadlifts very quickly.

I'd also recommend doing cable exercises like shot gun rows and cable flyes since a cable machine isn't likely found in a home gym.

Other channels that you might like, especially with regards to the joint and range of motion aspects:

Got ROM: https://www.youtube.com/user/LegacyAthleticsCA

Tom Merrick: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU0DZhN...O6beSaYljg

Fitness FAQ: https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessFAQs

Vahva Fitness: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPx2nKf...kQsMW9O0xQ
12-03-2019 12:47 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes D'Kora Koloth's post:
TooFineAPoint

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Recommendations for Auto Radar Detector Pyre 10 2,458 09-04-2019 09:41 PM
Last Post: puckerman
  Thoughts on Dr Osborn’s exercise programme? RedKurrant 1 560 07-08-2019 09:22 AM
Last Post: Irn Bru Protein
  2 week lag from cause to effect? (Exercise / Diet) bonkers 1 1,069 05-17-2019 06:48 PM
Last Post: BortimusPrime