Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

"It's Your Responsibility to Challenge Bigoted Relatives Over the Holidays"
Roosh Offline
Eagle

"It's Your Responsibility to Challenge Bigoted Relatives Over the Holidays"
Good luck on this Thanksgiving if you have any angry leftist relatives.

Quote:Speak On It is a Teen Vogue column by Jenn M. Jackson, whose queer Black feminist perspective explores how today's social and political life is influenced by generations of racial and gender (dis)order. In this piece, she encourages us to think critically about our responsibility to dismantle queerphobia, transphobia, racism, and misogyny this holiday season.

BY JENN M. JACKSON
NOVEMBER 22, 2019

The dinner table is one of the most sacred places in the household. For many families, it is the place where difficult conversations, delicate family dynamics, and restorative fellowship all come together. These complex events come to a head here because the dinner table is a safe place. Often, during the holidays, the dinner table feels so safe that many family members are comfortable uttering their most racist, transphobic, queer antagonistic, misogynistic, and generally ugly ideas over their turkey and cranberry sauce. Some white people who see themselves as nonracist will just play nice instead of clapping back directly at these problematic family members. This year, consider doing something different.

Let’s start with the history. In 1954, the Brown v. Board of Education decision of the Supreme Court of the United States declared “separate but equal” doctrine unconstitutional. This formally ended segregation in the United States, integrating public schools, lunch counters, water fountains, buses, and all other public spaces in the country. But these legal changes didn’t fundamentally change the structures of discrimination and segregation in the United States. Even though Black-white segregation may be decreasing over time, research shows that white Americans still actively engage in “white flight,” or moving away from neighborhoods with nonwhite populations, especially if they are middle class. These divisions have important implications for income and wealth distribution. As writer Ta-Nehisi Coates noted in a 2014 article in The Atlantic, “The average per capita income of Chicago’s white neighborhoods is almost three times that of its black neighborhoods.” Neighborhood segregation means that many white Americans don’t see many nonwhite people as members of their communities, and certainly not as their next-door neighbors.

White Americans are also isolated in their social groups, as research has found they are the group least likely to have diverse friends and peers. According to a 2016 analysis from the Public Religion Research Institute, the average white American has a network of friends that’s 91% white. A combined 8% is Black, Asian, Latinx, mixed-race, other and of “unknown” racial backgrounds. The same study found that Black Americans, on average, have a friend network that’s 83% Black, 8% white, 2% Latinx, 0% Asian, and roughly 7% that’s mixed, other, and of unknown race. Not only are white Americans often isolated by race where they live, they are unlikely to be surrounded by friends and loved ones who are nonwhite. If anti-racist white people do not muster up the courage to challenge their bigoted family members this holiday season, no one else will be there to do it.

These forms of isolation mean that many white Americans don’t have to confront racial differences in their personal and daily lives. Because of white privilege, many of them can simply opt out of difficult conversations that challenge internalized stereotypes or beliefs about people who aren’t like them. These attitudes are shaped from an early age. As University of Rhode Island history professor Erik Loomis put it in a recent piece in the Boston Review, when citing a study of white school children in a specific town in the Midwest, “almost none develop a meaningful critique of structural racism, question their own privilege, or think seriously about how to combat racial prejudice.” They may “oppose overt racism,” he continued, “but they also see themselves as deserving of every advantage they have received.”

The issue of racism is tangled up with a host of other issues, including gender and sexuality, class, and education. Starting the conversation can seem daunting, but it can also be a gateway to a host of other meaningful interactions about systemic prejudices and inequality.

For example, while support for trans rights is increasing in the United States, transgender people still face an epidemic of violence and a history of mistreatment by police. Because many cisgender people don’t have out transgender friends, the issues facing trans communities rarely show up in their day-to-day conversations and lives. This form of cisgender privilege closely resembles white privilege in that it allows cis people to simply avoid understanding the ongoing struggles faced by trans people in this country.

Fortunately, the internet is teeming with guidelines and suggested methods for talking to family members about racism this holiday season. There are also plenty of practical tips and recommendations for supporting queer and trans folx this holiday season. What it mostly boils down to, though, is not being passive. Quietly forking away at your yams and green beans while Aunt Susan spews hateful messages about Black people, immigrants, or gender nonconforming people won’t do anything to change the status quo. It’s just another way of allowing these toxic ideas and beliefs to permeate throughout generations and social networks every day. How about stepping up to do something about it?

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/thanksgi...y-politics

Roosh
http://www.rooshv.com
11-28-2019 11:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 7 users Like Roosh's post:
Latan, EvanWilson, Handsome Creepy Eel, HermeticAlly, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, infowarrior1, Benoit
Rush87 Offline
Ostrich

RE: "It's Your Responsibility to Challenge Bigoted Relatives Over the Holidays"
"Some white people" - Queer black feminist perspective. Sounds about right.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019 11:44 AM by Rush87.)
11-28-2019 11:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Rush87's post:
911, infowarrior1, Benoit, peterlittlehorse
nomadbrah Offline
Crow

11-28-2019 11:53 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like nomadbrah's post:
kruger41, Harem Scarem, infowarrior1, Simeon_Strangelight, Wutang, bucky
TigOlBitties Offline
Kingfisher

Talking politics with leftists during holiday dinners is giving them exactly what they want. They love the drama (especially if drinking) and so they can go tell people about how racist, sexist and homphobic their white male relatives are. They also can't be reasoned with, so it would be a waste of time anyway. The brainwashing is too deep.

People always have to ruin nice dinners by bringing up political nonsense. I don't give a shit about social justice, muh impeachment, dying Earth in ten years, etc. These people are retards.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019 11:55 AM by TigOlBitties.)
11-28-2019 11:53 AM
[-] The following 18 users Like TigOlBitties's post:
d'Aversa, balybary, Syberpunk, Handsome Creepy Eel, kruger41, Gusamaso, Tactician, Xntrik, HermeticAlly, Leonard D Neubache, infowarrior1, Benoit, Latan, bucky, Huxley Badkin, jeffreyjerpp, peterlittlehorse, sevenster
d'Aversa Offline
Robin

Quote:Even though Black-white segregation may be decreasing over time, research shows that white Americans still actively engage in “white flight,” or moving away from neighborhoods with nonwhite populations, especially if they are middle class. These divisions have important implications for income and wealth distribution. As writer Ta-Nehisi Coates noted in a 2014 article in The Atlantic, “The average per capita income of Chicago’s white neighborhoods is almost three times that of its black neighborhoods.” Neighborhood segregation means that many white Americans don’t see many nonwhite people as members of their communities, and certainly not as their next-door neighbors.

Gee, I wonder why that is.
11-28-2019 11:59 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like d'Aversa's post:
VNvet, bucky, peterlittlehorse
EvanWilson Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

I think that best part of the article is:
".....Because many cisgender people don’t have out transgender friends...."
but they expect people who don't even know anyone trans to make it a priority in issues to resolve while other groups of people that are being systematically oppressed are ignored or unknown by the author (ex: Uighurs in China, people in North Korea, Christians in ISIS controlled areas, people suffering in the disputed areas in the Don Bass Region of Ukraine/Russia, people in the Kashmir area between India and Pakistan, )

Meanwhile, there are other issues for much higher priority, but they don't talk about them.
As an example, overspending by the US government on the order of, now, $1 trillion extra per year; which is systematically ruining the country and may (will?) eventually destroy it. The fact that a total disaster of hyperinflation has not happened yet is something of a small miracle; but people like the author of this article somehow seems to act like that problem does not exist.
11-28-2019 12:02 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like EvanWilson's post:
Teedub, Handsome Creepy Eel, infowarrior1, peterlittlehorse
BlastbeatCasanova Online
Kingfisher

Shit like this makes me really thankful for my family. We make fun of people like like that at the dinner table
11-28-2019 12:04 PM
[-] The following 11 users Like BlastbeatCasanova's post:
Teedub, Handsome Creepy Eel, Harem Scarem, Tactician, TooFineAPoint, Leonard D Neubache, infowarrior1, robreke, Latan, Phazlenut, Buck Wild
Teedub Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Got to laugh - "gender nonconforming", yep, as if black blokes give a FUCK about those freaks. This whole article is subconscious white-worship, she knows her own community can't help so she's appealing to whites to promote her narrative. Not because black people are inferior, but because they have bigger things to worry about than tranny bathrooms or other nonsense white liberals obsess over.

Oh, and SJWs are humourless killjoys who suck the fun out of everything, so they want to ruin Christmas. Not surprising.

The things you own end up owning you.
11-28-2019 01:03 PM
[-] The following 10 users Like Teedub's post:
911, JimBobsCooters, Tactician, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, PapayaTapper, Leonard D Neubache, infowarrior1, Benoit, peterlittlehorse, Buck Wild
porscheguy Offline
Ostrich

Using her logic and “facts.” If white people only have white friends and family who show up to thanksgiving, and the writer is black, how does she know what white people discuss at the table?
11-28-2019 01:10 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like porscheguy's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Rap17, Gremlin, Leonard D Neubache, infowarrior1
Gimlet Offline
Woodpecker

How does a black tranny know what a typical white family discusses at the dinner table?
11-28-2019 01:11 PM
[-] The following 11 users Like Gimlet's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Tactician, Rap17, Captainstabbin, Leonard D Neubache, infowarrior1, Benoit, beta_plus, bucky, peterlittlehorse, Buck Wild
JohnKreese Online
Pelican

The "White Americans are also isolated in their social groups" line is pretty funny when she goes on to quote stats that state that 91 percent of white people's friends are also white...and 83 percent of black people's friends are also black.

That 8 percentage point difference can explain all of modern society's problems!

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump
11-28-2019 01:30 PM
[-] The following 11 users Like JohnKreese's post:
Goldin Boy, Dr Mantis Toboggan, Syberpunk, Gusamaso, Tactician, beta_plus, Captainstabbin, Leonard D Neubache, Elmore, infowarrior1, Benoit
John Michael Kane Online
Crow

Cut leftist relatives and "friends" out of your life. They'd sell you out to the gulags in heartbeat if they thought it would save their cowardly and wretched skin. They should have nothing to offer you. Moving deeper into clown world, you need a tigher circle of friends and family that will actually back you up when times get tough, and get tough they will. Be ready by ditching leftist backstabbing SJW scum. It hurts to lose people, but it also frees you up to find peace with your new tribe.

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein
11-28-2019 01:38 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like John Michael Kane's post:
Leonard D Neubache, infowarrior1, Thriller, bucky, sevenster
Dr Mantis Toboggan Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

(11-28-2019 01:30 PM)JohnKreese Wrote:  The "White Americans are also isolated in their social groups" line is pretty funny when she goes on to quote stats that state that 91 percent of white people's friends are also white...and 83 percent of black people's friends are also black.

That 8 percentage point difference can explain all of modern society's problems!

Not only that but another 7% are "mixed, other, and of unknown race". Want to bet most of those are mixed race people who culturally identify as black (eg Obama)? So in other words, that's 90%.

I got my Magnum condoms, I got my wad of hundreds, I'm ready to plow!
11-28-2019 02:26 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Dr Mantis Toboggan's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, infowarrior1
Woodpecker
Gold Member

(11-28-2019 01:03 PM)Teedub Wrote:  Got to laugh - "gender nonconforming", yep, as if black blokes give a FUCK about those freaks. This whole article is subconscious white-worship, she knows her own community can't help so she's appealing to whites to promote her narrative. Not because black people are inferior, but because they have bigger things to worry about than tranny bathrooms or other nonsense white liberals obsess over.

Oh, and SJWs are humourless killjoys who suck the fun out of everything, so they want to ruin Christmas. Not surprising.

I find myself seeing much more in common with blacks and Hispanics even if they vote the wrong way, than I do with white leftists. Minorities largely vote Democrat because they're doing what they think is best for their communities, I don't agree with their conclusions but I respect that they're doing what they think is right. Affluent white progressives on the other hand are a fucking cancer and it's part of why I want Buttigieg to win the Democrat primary. He'll get smoked in the general in large part because blacks and Hispanics won't vote for him, and that in turn will lead the white progressives to unload with both barrels on their pet minorities. And that, if it drives large numbers of black and Hispanic voters to the right, may just save the country.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019 02:32 PM by Dr Mantis Toboggan.)
11-28-2019 02:31 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Dr Mantis Toboggan's post:
Rap17, infowarrior1, bucky
Kona Online
Crow
Gold Member

There's some white people coming to my house for Thanksgiving.

Aloha!
11-28-2019 03:15 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like Kona's post:
beta_plus, Leonard D Neubache, infowarrior1, Caractacus Potts
Rush87 Offline
Ostrich

(11-28-2019 02:31 PM)Dr Mantis Toboggan Wrote:  
(11-28-2019 01:03 PM)Teedub Wrote:  Got to laugh - "gender nonconforming", yep, as if black blokes give a FUCK about those freaks. This whole article is subconscious white-worship, she knows her own community can't help so she's appealing to whites to promote her narrative. Not because black people are inferior, but because they have bigger things to worry about than tranny bathrooms or other nonsense white liberals obsess over.

I find myself seeing much more in common with blacks and Hispanics even if they vote the wrong way, than I do with white leftists. Minorities largely vote Democrat because they're doing what they think is best for their communities, I don't agree with their conclusions but I respect that they're doing what they think is right. Affluent white progressives on the other hand are a fucking cancer and it's part of why I want Buttigieg to win the Democrat primary. He'll get smoked in the general in large part because blacks and Hispanics won't vote for him, and that in turn will lead the white progressives to unload with both barrels on their pet minorities. And that, if it drives large numbers of black and Hispanic voters to the right, may just save the country.

I see this a lot, and it's a common mistake made by many on the right. Viewing blacks and latinos as people 'doing what they think is right' is inadvertently doing what Liberals do; which is excusing minorities for poor decisions "because they just don't know better".

Either we honestly believe they are a low IQ group making low IQ decisions, or we go with the fact that they are making conscious decisions, no different from white liberals, just on a much larger, much more dangerous scale.

The big difference between white liberals and minorities, is that white liberals make up a minority within their own racial group, however conservatives make up a very small minority of minorities.

[Image: if-only-x-voted.jpg]

The reality is, the only reason liberals are competitive with conservatives in elections is because of minority voters.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019 03:21 PM by Rush87.)
11-28-2019 03:18 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like Rush87's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, beta_plus, Captainstabbin, Leonard D Neubache, infowarrior1, VNvet
Aurini Offline
Ostrich

(11-28-2019 01:38 PM)John Michael Kane Wrote:  Cut leftist relatives and "friends" out of your life. They'd sell you out to the gulags in heartbeat if they thought it would save their cowardly and wretched skin. They should have nothing to offer you. Moving deeper into clown world, you need a tigher circle of friends and family that will actually back you up when times get tough, and get tough they will. Be ready by ditching leftist backstabbing SJW scum. It hurts to lose people, but it also frees you up to find peace with your new tribe.

Agree, with caveat: look to what people DO not what the SAY.

If you live in a red state, the NPCs will mouth Republican platitudes, but then engage in the same type of virtue signalling and self-righteousness as those on the left are notorious for. Find people with grit, whom you can trust, who have their eyes set on objective reality and the Lord above. As for the others - don't stand between a sinner and his sin.

My website.
Now streaming on the DLive platform..
11-28-2019 03:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 9 users Like Aurini's post:
kruger41, John Michael Kane, Handsome Creepy Eel, TooFineAPoint, Thersites, Leonard D Neubache, infowarrior1, Buck Wild, sevenster
Woodpecker
Gold Member

(11-28-2019 03:18 PM)Rush87 Wrote:  
(11-28-2019 02:31 PM)Dr Mantis Toboggan Wrote:  

I see this a lot, and it's a common mistake made by many on the right. Viewing blacks and latinos as people 'doing what they think is right' is inadvertently doing what Liberals do; which is excusing minorities for poor decisions "because they just don't know better".

Either we honestly believe they are a low IQ group making low IQ decisions, or we go with the fact that they are making conscious decisions, no different from white liberals, just on a much larger, much more dangerous scale.

The big difference between white liberals and minorities, is that white liberals make up a minority within their own racial group, however conservatives make up a very small minority of minorities.

[Image: if-only-x-voted.jpg]

The reality is, the only reason liberals are competitive with conservatives in elections is because of minority voters.

I think most people of all races and political stripes are low information voters who believe whatever the media tells them to believe (including people on the right who get 100% of their information from Fox). That's partly their fault for not going out of their way to be better informed but also just the reality that most people have too much going on in their lives to invest the time and energy necessary to red pill themselves.

My point is more that most black and to a lesser extent Hispanic voters vote D because they think Democrats will be better for the black community or the Mexican/Salvadoran/whatever community. I don't agree--I think conservative economic policies combined with encouragement of assimilation will be better for those communities--but they are doing what they think is right by their own group. White leftists on the other hand are actively trying to destroy their own group.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019 03:55 PM by Dr Mantis Toboggan.)
11-28-2019 03:52 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Dr Mantis Toboggan's post:
John Michael Kane, Handsome Creepy Eel, infowarrior1
911 Offline
Crow

(11-28-2019 01:11 PM)Gimlet Wrote:  How does a black tranny know what a typical white family discusses at the dinner table?

A black tranny knows what a typical white family SHOULD discuss at the dinner table, that's the whole premise of this article.

They are the tip of the spear in the pozzed progressive agenda, so white liberal "allies" better shape up and carefully implement what they tell them to do, or else they are guilty of being part of the patriarchy.

λ ό γ ο ς
11-28-2019 04:01 PM
[-] The following 11 users Like 911's post:
John Michael Kane, Syberpunk, Tactician, Handsome Creepy Eel, Gimlet, Leonard D Neubache, infowarrior1, Teedub, VNvet, Renzy, bucky
Rush87 Offline
Ostrich

(11-28-2019 03:52 PM)Dr Mantis Toboggan Wrote:  My point is more that most black and to a lesser extent Hispanic voters vote D because they think Democrats will be better for the black community or the Mexican/Salvadoran/whatever community. I don't agree--I think conservative economic policies combined with encouragement of assimilation will be better for those communities--but they are doing what they think is right by their own group. White leftists on the other hand are actively trying to destroy their own group.

I agree that white leftists are actively trying to destroy their own group, but their impact isn't what is actually destroying their own group. Ultimately that's at the hands of the political elite.

Irrespective of any of this however, is the fact that these communities are destroying western society by default as a replacement population. Of course one group will look out for their own interests (I would too), but those interests will be at the expense of mine.

Either way, I can't see anything that can be done to stop this, as both conservative and liberals parties are emigrating non-whites at a rate higher than white birthrates to keep economic growth high.

If the west does ultimately veer conservative once more, it will most likely be as a minority white populus and I'm not sure whether that's any consolation.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019 07:12 PM by Rush87.)
11-28-2019 06:31 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Rush87's post:
Leonard D Neubache, infowarrior1, VNvet
Enhanced Eddie Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

All the right wing pundits I follow tell everyone not to try and red pill any relatives over the holidays.
Cause family is more important and not worth falling out with over politics.
The left on the other hand: "Destroy your asshole relatives this Thanksgiving!"
Fuck the left.
11-28-2019 09:56 PM
[-] The following 10 users Like Enhanced Eddie's post:
Spectrumwalker, Syberpunk, iop890, kruger41, Leonard D Neubache, infowarrior1, VNvet, robreke, Renzy, Speculation
Athanasius Offline
Robin

While I don't endorse everything he says, this guy gets at why a lot of non-white people vote left: fake status.

I'd love it if the lefties in my family brought up stuff like this at the table so we could have a substantive conversation, but they are the proverbial millennial snowflakes who get offended if they hear anything they disagree with. It is nice to be with certain family members and my immediately siblings where you don't have to hold back.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019 11:32 PM by Athanasius.)
11-28-2019 11:30 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like Athanasius's post:
911, Elmore, infowarrior1, [email protected], Salinger
Captainstabbin Online
Hummingbird

Leftists love the drama and love to think their misfit views make them cool. When they start their nonsense, mock them and laugh.
11-29-2019 12:06 AM
Leonard D Neubache Offline
Owl
Gold Member

This is why I avoid group family events now. The majority are benign blue pill but there's a minority that know I don't truck with their bullshit and as another poster noted elsewhere these loudmouth breed SJWs have been trained to make obnoxiously partisan statements and seek group conformity while holding the pleasantness of the event hostage.

If these people are unavoidable then just tell them that for every minute of the event they ruin for you, that you're going to donate a blanket and a baseball bat to the Westboro Baptist Church.

God demands of Man responsibility. God demands of Woman vulnerability. These are their curse and blessing alike. Libertianism is to Man as Feminism is to Woman.
11-29-2019 01:47 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Leonard D Neubache's post:
infowarrior1, Handsome Creepy Eel, Caractacus Potts
911 Offline
Crow

Screw this, I've red pilled 3/4 of my extended family, especially my younger cousins and nephews. I get into arguments with a couple of cousins who were hardcore commies in their student phase and have since graduated to neoliberal "bobos", or urban champagne socialists, but it's mostly cordial and I do present my arguments in ways that make them think.

For example for American Trump haters, ask them why Hillary destroyed Central America and unleashed a massive wave of refugees fleeing the economic and political devastation. Or how NAFTA did the same for Mexican farmers. Or why we can't withdraw from Syria like Trump and Tulsi want; who is for Endless War and who is against, and so forth...

λ ό γ ο ς
11-29-2019 02:36 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like 911's post:
Captainstabbin, infowarrior1, Thriller, bucky

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  No surprise here: Reddit's NoFap Challenge survey. germanico 19 24,713 11-23-2019 11:44 PM
Last Post: Easy_C
  The Christmas and New Years Holidays are my Least Favorite Time of the Year The Beast1 89 13,284 12-24-2018 11:04 PM
Last Post: MongolianAbroad
  The Toronto Star: The Challenge of Reporting On China Suits 26 6,735 12-30-2017 04:17 AM
Last Post: Suits