Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Health Bizzare health problems triggered by Chinese food
Handsome Creepy Eel Offline
Owl
Gold Member

Bizzare health problems triggered by Chinese food
I have a weird problem that started a month ago while eating some Chinese takeaway, when out of nowhere I experienced some coughing fits. At the time, I attributed it to the food being hot (though it wasn't especially so), but a week later when I ordered something milder, I felt the same sensation again, only more intense. That time felt like a temporary tightness in my chest, making it a bit difficult to breathe. While I dismissed it as some sort of heartburn or acid reflux, I thought that maybe it was some weird spice used by that particular restaurant, so I decided that the next time I'm eating that cuisine, I'll go to another place.

Today I went to another place expecting the problem to be solved, but after taking just a few bites I felt a strong crushing pain in my chest and had real difficulty breathing. It just felt like a massive iron band constricting my airways and was really unnerving, making me feel almost as if I was going to collapse. Drawing breath was not painful by itself, but it was tremendously straining.

What was even more disturbing was that no amount of coughing, sneezing, stretching, breathing calmly, drinking water or even vomiting would help; I just had to wait it out. Like the previous events, it subsided on its own after 15 minutes, and I was immediately able to go on with my daily life (and even eat something else) without any problems.

I've eaten this same type of food every now and then for over a decade and have never had any sort of problem with it. I don't have any allergies and have never had any sort of heart, breathing or digestive problems.

I don't understand what might be happening to me. If it's an allergy, why would it appear so suddenly in adulthood with such extreme symptoms, and if it's a digestive problem, why does it only appear for this one specific food? Has anyone ever experienced something like this in relation to only one type of cuisine? What type of doctor should I even see for a problem like this?

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
12-05-2019 07:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Lone Wolf Offline
Pigeon

RE: Bizzare health problems triggered by Chinese food
what exact dish did you order?
12-05-2019 08:14 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lone Wolf's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
flanders Online
Robin

Peanut oil?
12-05-2019 08:15 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes flanders's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
Dr. Howard Offline
Crow
Gold Member

^ MSG maybe? When i was a kid I used to get a splitting headache from a few bites of chinese food from one particular restaurant. Apparently MSG was their favorite seasoning there.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV
12-05-2019 08:18 PM
[-] The following 9 users Like Dr. Howard's post:
kinjutsu, Handsome Creepy Eel, Tail Gunner, Simeon_Strangelight, 911, Oscar Henri, debeguiled, JiggyLordJr, DJ-Matt
Hannibal Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

What else do you eat? What dish did you order?

Sounds like an allergy or like you're one of those salt sensitive types.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
12-05-2019 08:42 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hannibal's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
Zex Offline
Pigeon

Definitely sounds like an allergic reaction. The human body changes over time, and it is not uncommon for things that have not affected your body in the past to suddenly cause serious problems. My father was not allergic to anything growing up, but when he hit his forties he would suddenly get severe burning, itching, coughing, and trouble breathing from certain fruits, such as peaches, cherries, apples, kiwi, and jack fruit. It would last about 15 minutes like in your case before returning back to normal.
12-05-2019 09:23 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Zex's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Nordwand, debeguiled
Sherman Offline
Ostrich

I got violently ill once eating the orange chicken. The ingredients are extremely unhealthy. First they deep fry the chicken and then cover it with a sugary orange sauce, which hardens. And then your stomach is expected to digest it. If they overcook it, it's like eating lead pellets. Now, I am very careful of everything I eat and analyze the ingredients.

Rico... Sauve....
12-05-2019 09:59 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sherman's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
PapayaTapper Away
Crow
Gold Member

Next time ask that Sharpei be substituted for the Shih Tsu.

BTW adult onset allergies is apparently a thing

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/features...-allergies

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell
12-05-2019 10:15 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like PapayaTapper's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Leonard D Neubache, DJ-Matt
Brewer Offline
Pigeon

Sounds like a food allergy. Adult onset allergies are actually pretty common. They can show up with no warning, and once they do, they tend to get worse with each exposure.

You should book an appointment with an allergist ASAP. If it IS an allergy, it could kill you next time, so you REALLY want to get it checked out.

In the mean time, carry an antihistamine (Benadryl) and take it immediately if you experience tightness of breath.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2019 01:03 AM by Brewer.)
12-06-2019 12:47 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Brewer's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Leonard D Neubache
Handsome Creepy Eel Offline
Owl
Gold Member

(12-05-2019 08:14 PM)Lone Wolf Wrote:  what exact dish did you order?

The first time I ordered a meal called "Eight treasures", which is sort of a Chinese mixed meat - little pieces of beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, mushrooms, bamboo, green pepper and carrot stir-fried together and served in hot and sour sauce (the sauce is made of chills, sugar and vinegar from what I know).

NOTE: I've eaten the same meal at least 20 times before in my life with zero problems (at many different places both here and abroad), and routinely eat all of the individual ingredients without any issues. The most recent time that I had eaten it was at a different place (in the same town though) about a year ago.

The second time I suspected spiciness was the problem, so I ordered mild "Chicken with vegetables" - basically stir-fried chicken with green peppers, carrots and broccoli, served in mild sour sauce (which is made from sugar and vinegar).

I've also eaten this meal many times in the past without any issues.

The third time I ordered the mixed "Eight treasures" again, but because I was suspecting the restaurant, I got it from a different Chinese place. Nonetheless, that most severe reaction happened most severely after just a few bites.

NOTE: Immediately after this happened, I ate (of course very carefully, in small bites with long pauses in between) a Chinese Spring Roll (basically cooked vegetables inside a fried pastry) from my wife's plate, which came from the same establishment, and had zero problems from it. That's why I suspect the "sour sauce", as it's the only ingredient that doesn't occur in the spring rolls (the vegetables in the spring rolls are surely cooked/fried together with everything else in the restaurant). But according to the restaurant, there's really nothing special in that sauce, nor anything that I don't eat anyway.

flanders Wrote:Peanut oil?

I mean anything is possible, but I eat peanut butter (though I don't like it) and roasted peanuts occasionally without problems.

Dr. Howard Wrote:^ MSG maybe? When i was a kid I used to get a splitting headache from a few bites of chinese food from one particular restaurant. Apparently MSG was their favorite seasoning there.

I've read about this too, but from what I understand it causes something similar to heartburn, which this doesn't seem to resemble. But it would imply that multiple Chinese places all over the town had never been using MSG before, but had now suddenly started doing it - what are the odds of that? I don't think they even import any ingredients. But again, this is a small town with maybe 6 Chinese places all together, so it's possible that they all have the same supplier who recently introduced some new ingredient.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I had no idea that adults can develop allergies like this. I will get an antihistamine to carry with me and get myself checked for allergies ASAP.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2019 07:23 AM by Handsome Creepy Eel.)
12-06-2019 06:57 AM
Lone Wolf Offline
Pigeon

You're going to have bowel issues and/or skin reaction if it was an allergic reaction. It's probably a severe acid reflux, which some people often describe as having a heart attack. The sauce has a lot of acid refulx triggers, including acidity, tomatoes, oily, salt and sugar. If antacids relieve your symptoms, then you have your answer.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2019 09:56 AM by Lone Wolf.)
12-06-2019 09:31 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lone Wolf's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
OscarManheim Offline
Banned

Stop eating Chinese food? I did when I had a tour around several of their "restaurants" as a food delivery driver.
12-06-2019 11:35 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like OscarManheim's post:
Kingsley Davis, JiggyLordJr, Davidovich
Hypno Offline
Hummingbird

MSG is a neurotoxin. It affects people differently. It gives me migraines and severe joint pain.

Chinese restaurants are notorious for adding it.

It could be that you got a little extra on your last visits
12-06-2019 02:08 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Hypno's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, 911, Syberpunk
Kona Offline
Crow
Gold Member

I was feeling sniffly about a week ago so i got a papaya salad from a Thai restaurant and holy smokes i think they put pepper spray in it. It was the spiciest food ever. Im still not fully recovered. I couldnt post on this forum.

It was bad. I had similar symptoms to this described, so i feel your pain. And dont worry about how i know what getting pepper sprayed feels like.

Aloha!
12-06-2019 08:49 PM
Tail Gunner Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

(12-06-2019 06:57 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  
Dr. Howard Wrote:^ MSG maybe? When i was a kid I used to get a splitting headache from a few bites of chinese food from one particular restaurant. Apparently MSG was their favorite seasoning there.

I've read about this too, but from what I understand it causes something similar to heartburn, which this doesn't seem to resemble. But it would imply that multiple Chinese places all over the town had never been using MSG before, but had now suddenly started doing it - what are the odds of that?

The odds are actually very good. After decades of daily dietary insults, your body finally gives out. For example, you can drink (or eat) pasteurized milk products for decades, which do not contain the enzymes necessary to absorb lactose (because the boiling process destroys those enzymes). Your body can produce those enzymes for a period of time, often for decades, but when your body's ability to produce those enzymes finally stops you develop lactose intolerance.

A related issue, seemingly counter-intuitive, is that those foods that you eat the most are those to which you will eventually develop a food allergy. "What? I have eaten _________ all my life, how could I become allergic to it?" Well, that is exactly why. You overdosed on it -- for decades. I know two people who developed allergies to their favorite foods: one was shrimp, the other was pineapple. Now, both need to go to the hospital if they get exposed.

You may have reached the age where decades of dietary abuse are finally taking its toll. Too much MSG for too many years -- or something else.

I speak from experience. It happened to me. It took five years to regain my health. Take it from me, start eating healthy now -- and avoid the misery.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019 01:16 AM by Tail Gunner.)
12-07-2019 01:11 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Tail Gunner's post:
Ruslan, Davidovich
Tail Gunner Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

(12-06-2019 08:49 PM)Kona Wrote:  Im still not fully recovered. I couldnt post on this forum.

Now we know your secret! Hawaiian Kryptonite! I suspect that we will soon see crop dusters dumping pepper spray over the Islands.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019 01:21 AM by Tail Gunner.)
12-07-2019 01:19 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tail Gunner's post:
Tactician
OscarManheim Offline
Banned

Tail Gunner; some family members of mine developed an allergy to garlic after decades of eating it so your hypothesis might be right for OP.

MSG is poison tho and the Chinese put it in everything.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019 01:39 AM by OscarManheim.)
12-07-2019 01:38 AM
eradicator Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Any time you get food at an Asian, especially Chinese restaurant, ask for "no msg please". It is not healthy. But maybe just avoid this particular restaurant all together.

Team yoga pants
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UoeQOC-5iw&t=143s[/video]
12-07-2019 01:43 AM
Simeon_Strangelight Offline
Hawk
Gold Member

Sensitivity to MSG could be one thing, but it could be something else.

Most Chinese restaurants don't have freshly made food. They buy pre-packaged ready foods and heat mostly up in the microwave. And many restaurants in one town have one supplier. So if you ate at one of those places then you may have eaten the very same meal there. And this kind of reaction is strong - MSG does have some side-effects like sneezing, coughing, head-aches etc. But it could also be certain toxins in that specific meal.

Oh - and I know about the Chinese restaurants offering lots of frozen ready-made foods, because I talked with a guy who supplied them the freezers. They buy a shit-ton of freezers to have the foods ready. Then they just put it in the microwave. Some meals have even sauces on them, so no cooking skill required.

Usually the freshly made Chinese restaurants are different - they have lots of Chinese patrons in them and they are far more expensive offering werid combos.

So yeah -best guess MSG followed by different toxins of meals possibly even supplied from a chinese deep-freeze container, because that is the cheapest way.
12-07-2019 01:17 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Simeon_Strangelight's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Syberpunk
Kingsley Davis Offline
Ostrich

(12-06-2019 11:35 AM)OscarManheim Wrote:  Stop eating Chinese food? I did when I had a tour around several of their "restaurants" as a food delivery driver.

Living among them cured me of this.

"Some people don't think it be like it is but it do".
12-23-2019 05:45 PM
debeguiled Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

(12-06-2019 08:49 PM)Kona Wrote:  It was the spiciest food ever. Im still not fully recovered. I couldnt post on this forum.

You should probably go back and have that at least once a month to see if you have built up an immunity.

“That sig BTW is a very asinine anti-family anti-parent quote. You live in a country where 40% of children grow up without a biological father, yet somehow “the greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents”? Sorry but this is fruity Boomer nonsense.”

12-23-2019 07:05 PM
JiggyLordJr Offline
Woodpecker

I hope you mean genuine Chinese food... Dim Sum is awesome.

But if I understand correctly, you're referring to Chinese takeaway. Which you shouldn't be eating anyway. And if you don't eat shitty "Chinese food," I reckon you wouldn't experience "bizarre health problems." Most problems have very simple solutions.

In other words, cook your own food, or get a woman to do it for you. Takeaway is a no-go.
12-24-2019 02:30 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JiggyLordJr's post:
Dr. Howard
Vice_ Offline
Pigeon

I have started avoiding "Chinese" restaurants altogether because how the food adversely affects me. I personally get brain fog, lethargic, and end up eliminating the food a few hours later, and getting hungry again shortly after eating. Quality food doesn't do that to anyone.
12-25-2019 01:48 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Vice_'s post:
JiggyLordJr, Syberpunk, Kid Twist
Zevs Offline
Sparrow

Stay away from Chinese food, I have found it to be the worst tasting food. I have had and tried many times to get used to it, but it's impossible for me. It always seems like I am eating soft cardboard, I hate soy sauce I hate soy milk and fried rice or any Chinese food it's just absolute shit.
12-27-2019 04:17 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zevs's post:
Davidovich
RoastBeefCurtains4Me Offline
Ostrich

My mom had an experience like this after eating Chinese, and attributed it to the MSG. She was having a severe attack, and since she was just over 70, I was afraid that was it and she was dying. I was out of town at the time, getting the news second hand, and the fear of a parent's sudden death was quite bad.

I'll admit, after it was all over, she was convinced it was the MSG, and I was quite skeptical. The doctors didn't think so, but they didn't have an explanation either. However, her attack sounds just like when you had the worst effects.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2019 05:07 PM by RoastBeefCurtains4Me.)
12-30-2019 05:06 PM