Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

After bone marrow transplant, man's semen contains only donor's DNA
Parlay44 Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

After bone marrow transplant, man's semen contains only donor's DNA
AFTER BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT, MAN’S SEMEN CONTAINS ONLY DONOR’S DNA

HIS STRANGE SITUATION COULD AFFECT THE FUTURE OF FORENSIC SCIENCE.
BY KRISTIN HOUSER / 20 HOURS AGO

https://futurism.com/neoscope/bone-marro...donors-dna

Chris Long is an IT worker in the Washoe County Sheriff’s Department in Reno, Nevada. But all the DNA in his semen belongs to a German man he’s never met.

That’s because Long received a bone marrow transplant from the European stranger four years ago — and the unexpected impact it has had on his biology could affect the future of forensic science.

According to a newly published New York Times story, the purpose of the transplant was to treat Long’s acute myeloid leukemia, a type of cancer that prevents the body from producing blood normally.

Following the procedure, the healthy blood-forming cells from the donor replaced Long’s unhealthy cells, allowing his body to resume normal blood production. It makes sense, then, for Long’s blood to contain the DNA of his donor.

But Long’s colleague, Renee Romero, who ran the office’s forensics lab, posited that the bone marrow transplant might affect the DNA elsewhere in his body, so she encouraged him to have samples of his DNA collected before the procedure so the team could compare them to after samples.

Long agreed, and since his procedure, the team at the sheriff’s office has collected numerous additional samples of his DNA from various parts of his body.

Sometimes, they find both Long’s DNA and his donor’s in the samples, such as when they test swabs from his lip, cheek, and tongue. Samples of his chest and head hair, meanwhile, show only Long’s DNA.

But perhaps most surprisingly, four years after the procedure, samples of Long’s semen show only his donor’s DNA.

“I thought that it was pretty incredible that I can disappear and someone else can appear,” Long told the NYT.

The mechanism behind the shift is mysterious. Three bone marrow transplant experts consulted by the NYT all agreed that it would be impossible for the procedure to result in a recipient producing sperm containing their donor’s DNA.

Mehrdad Abedi, the doctor who treated Long at the University of California, Davis, meanwhile, told the newspaper that his patient’s surprising semen is likely due to the fact that Long had a vasectomy after his second child was born.

Still, Long’s situation raises all sorts of new questions about the use of DNA as evidence in court cases.

Forensic scientists already have to grapple with the issue of DNA from innocent people occasionally showing up at crime scenes due to bone marrow transplants. But at least in those cases, they have the “right” DNA to trace, too.

If someone in Long’s situation committed a sex crime and investigators collected semen samples, though, could their blood marrow donor be charged with the crime given the lack of any other DNA at the scene?

That’s one terrifying possibility that scientists must now consider — and all because Long’s colleagues decided to use him as their personal guinea pig.

Team Nachos
12-10-2019 11:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like Parlay44's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Latan, Cr33pin, Handsome Creepy Eel, billbudsocket
RoastBeefCurtains4Me Offline
Ostrich

RE: AFTER BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT, MAN’S SEMEN CONTAINS ONLY DONOR’S DNA
This sucks, but the alternative without the bone marrow transplant was problematic as well. Nobody knew this would happen. Whoever wanted to do the experiment to collect semen samples before and after was looking for something established experts said was impossible. I wonder if he already had kids. It says he had a vasectomy, so he must not have been planning on having any more kids.

I think it's interesting to see how many thinks cause our DNA to be replaced by others.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage
12-10-2019 12:08 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like RoastBeefCurtains4Me's post:
vinman, Handsome Creepy Eel
SomeOneSomeWhere Offline
Robin

RE: AFTER BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT, MAN’S SEMEN CONTAINS ONLY DONOR’S DNA
I was told by a Chinese person that ejaculation apparently depletes bone marrow, which I dismissed as one of many superstitious beliefs, but maybe there is something to it...
12-10-2019 01:49 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like SomeOneSomeWhere's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me, vinman, Handsome Creepy Eel, Enoch
iop890 Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: After bone marrow transplant, man's semen contains only donor's DNA
To be clear, he's not producing sperm with the donor's DNA, right? His own sperm cells are not present because he's had a vasectomy, and whatever other ingredients there are in jizz are where the donor's DNA is coming from. At least that's what I got from skimming this on my phone.
12-10-2019 02:56 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes iop890's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
RoastBeefCurtains4Me Offline
Ostrich

(12-10-2019 02:56 PM)iop890 Wrote:  To be clear, he's not producing sperm with the donor's DNA, right? His own sperm cells are not present because he's had a vasectomy, and whatever other ingredients there are in jizz are where the donor's DNA is coming from. At least that's what I got from skimming this on my phone.

I wasn't clear on this either. When I read it, I was thinking they took the sperm from his testes, where it would still be produced in spite of the vasectomy. However, it says they captured semen samples before and after the transplant, which makes it sound like they were collected the usual way.

If so, I think you're right that his semen sample should have contained no sperm before or after, and the DNA that was found was from non-sperm matter in the semen.

Therefore, if a normal man without a vasectomy had the bone marrow implant, I would expect their sperm would still be their own. It's not like they would impregnate a woman with the bone marrow donor's child.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2019 03:08 PM by RoastBeefCurtains4Me.)
12-10-2019 03:03 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoastBeefCurtains4Me's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
Handsome Creepy Eel Offline
Owl
Gold Member

Call me a cuck, but if I was saved from a horrible death by a kind stranger's bone marrow transplant, I'd probably be so happy to be alive that I wouldn't care about my sperm's DNA.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
12-10-2019 09:09 PM
Leonard D Neubache Offline
Owl
Gold Member

Gay.

God demands of Man responsibility. God demands of Woman vulnerability. These are their curse and blessing alike. Libertianism is to Man as Feminism is to Woman.
12-10-2019 09:16 PM
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Would this make jacking off less of a sin since he’s wasting another man’s baby gravy?

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
12-10-2019 10:29 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like scotian's post:
KofiKingston, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Handsome Creepy Eel
renotime Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Never thought I'd see they day that someone got cucked by a German.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.
12-11-2019 12:26 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like renotime's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Parlay44, vinman
CynicalContrarian Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

What a plot twist to your average Maury Povich episode... Rolleyes
12-11-2019 07:45 AM
Aurini Offline
Ostrich

After reading the article, I'm left with two conclusions:

1. Yet more shock journalism. The title grabs your attention by implying that his gametes swapped genetic code, when in fact it was just his seminal fluid that - I guess - is also made in the bone marrow like blood. Not a big deal for anybody but forensic investigators - presumably if he'd still had his nuts, he wouldn't have been shooting another man's ammo (just his shell casings). Which leads to point 2...

2. Yet again, we find that modern science is built on sandier ground than 'we' thought. It's the arrogance of Sherlock Holmes - the only reason that character could come to such ludicrous conclusions is because the author knew what was going on. Sherlock is not real detective work - but try explaining that to the 'cop' trolling through all your online data and traffic-light cameras.

My website.
12-11-2019 09:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Aurini's post:
billbudsocket, Handsome Creepy Eel