Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Making Money Would you quit your job if you had 200k savings in 2020?
NapoleonDynamighty Offline
Robin

Would you quit your job if you had 200k savings in 2020?
Could you ensure a sustainable location independent lifestyle (3k usd net income per month) without risking losing your capital ? How would you do it?

Would you invest in multiple businesses? Would you buy yourself time to learn a trade or look for consulting work or build multiple clients in a niche?

As the year kicks off what are some of the most potent investments and business ideas especially ones that require midlevel investments but are bankable niches and not 50/50 gambles?
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2020 11:00 AM by NapoleonDynamighty.)
01-19-2020 10:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes NapoleonDynamighty's post:
azulsombra
Road_Less_Taken Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Would you quit your job if you had 200k savings in 2020?
(01-19-2020 10:58 AM)NapoleonDynamighty Wrote:  Could you ensure a sustainable location independent lifestyle (3k usd net income per month) without risking losing your capital ? How would you do it?

Would you invest in multiple businesses? Would you buy yourself time to learn a trade or look for consulting work or build multiple clients in a niche?

As the year kicks off what are some of the most potent investments and business ideas especially ones that require midlevel investments but are bankable niches and not 50/50 gambles?

I manage a bit over that investing wise and with my backtesting I would make over that a month using leverage, though of course returns are going to be variable and its best to have another source of income.
01-19-2020 02:26 PM
MichaelWitcoff Offline
Kingfisher

I’d probably buy a nice Tiny House and never work again. Could probably live off 200k (maybe 170k after the house was purchased) for the rest of my life if I didn’t have to worry about rent.

Jewish convert to Orthodox Christianity and best-selling author of "On The Masons And Their Lies."
01-20-2020 01:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes MichaelWitcoff's post:
ilostabet
NoMoreTO Online
Pelican

More and more local governments are allowing for small miniature houses to be placed in back yards as 2nd residences.

I think this will be a big opportunity for additional rental income, particularly for first movers. Similarly, I have a friend considering actually setting them up.

For professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. Rom 1:22
01-20-2020 01:26 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like NoMoreTO's post:
MichaelWitcoff, Kid Twist, Laner
hervens Offline
Sparrow

You see, something funny happens once you actually manage to save that 200k..
You realize it's really not that much money and you even end up feeling just as broke as before you had.

Now, if that doesn't happen to you but on the other hand you get all excited and pimpy because you have 200k sitting in your bank account, that's another problem because there's a good chance you're going to blow through it really fast by doing some dumb shit like 'investing' in single stocks or cryptos trying to make 50%+ return.

There's a book I'd like to recommend while you're saving that kind of money: "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind" by Harv Eker. It talks a lot about the psychology behind money, and why most professional sport players end up broke after the end of their careers.

Good luck and make it happen.
01-20-2020 08:21 AM
[-] The following 21 users Like hervens's post:
Sankt Michael, NapoleonDynamighty, Kid Twist, Biz, Laner, BBinger, Dr. Howard, Monty_Brogan, Latan, HermeticAlly, Zenta, gework, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, joseph15, SlickyBoy, Tactician, DJ-Matt, Chisum, Loki131, ZAMSKI, Wayout
redbeard Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

No. At the end of the day, $200k is not that much unless you plan to camp out in a shack in Thailand for the rest of your life.

Assuming annual stock market growth is 7% that's only a $14k return each year, or roughly $1200/month. I don't know where you live but I doubt $1200/month is enough to support yourself, a wife, and a kid. Even less possible if you want more than one child.

"Every saint has a past, every sinner a future."
01-20-2020 09:38 AM
[-] The following 12 users Like redbeard's post:
Sankt Michael, NoMoreTO, Biz, Laner, BBinger, Dr. Howard, Latan, gework, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Tactician, DJ-Matt, Tail Gunner
TheBadGuy Offline
Sparrow

Also keep in mind that if you are taking out capital gains every year, then the base cash investment will not grow. This is a problem for 2 reasons:

1. In the extremely unlikely scenario that the market never crashes, you will not keep up with inflation.
2. The market will crash eventually, then what will you do since you do not have enough money to wait out the recession.
01-20-2020 01:47 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like TheBadGuy's post:
Latan, SlickyBoy, Tactician, Tail Gunner
Laner Online
Hummingbird
Gold Member

Not a chance.

I had close to that amount at one time. I spent over half of it in the last four years building up a business that will hopefully get me 10x the original amount. An actual business, with assets and products. For guys into marketing and online business, the $200k could be a way to semi retire. But not for a guy in his mid 30's with a baby.

I did toss out the idea of living in some shithole for a couple years and seeing if the interest and odd jobs might coast us along. But the places I mentioned - Bulgaria, Laos, Indonesia, etc - none had any spark my wife would have enjoyed. Especially with a little kid.

At the end of the day, being young and with some drive, having a family, the west is still the best. Ask me when I am child free, and I might have a different answer. But even then, I will likely want to be around grandkids so will probably be wherever the roots are.

Now, $2m, that is the current goal. That is a different question entirely.
01-20-2020 02:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 7 users Like Laner's post:
NoMoreTO, Latan, Zenta, gework, Tactician, Loki131, pitbullowner
bacon Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

If you are talking about passive investing, I don't see how you could get more than 7% or so from yield in the current market environment. That would limit you to buying tobacco companies, some unloved reit sectors (like malls, hotels), energy pipelines (essentially a utility that is unloved at the moment) and some big oil majors. The leverage option via calls and puts is a decent strategy but you would need some experience with that and that would be active investing and is riskier. Buying rental property for long term tenants or short term (Airbnb) might work out but you are likely going to have a very concentrated portfolio and unless you have some type of alpha at finding properties at a good price you will probably be overpaying. Additionally, good luck getting a mortgage without an income source.

Also, if you are just getting started in investing in equities my advice is to read as much as possible for the next 6 months and start small. This allows you to understand your risk appetite better (how will you handle big drops) as well as build up confidence in what you are doing so you choose the right investments.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020 03:49 PM by bacon.)
01-20-2020 03:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bacon's post:
SlickyBoy
MichaelWitcoff Offline
Kingfisher

(01-20-2020 09:38 AM)redbeard Wrote:  No. At the end of the day, $200k is not that much unless you plan to camp out in a shack in Thailand for the rest of your life.

Assuming annual stock market growth is 7% that's only a $14k return each year, or roughly $1200/month. I don't know where you live but I doubt $1200/month is enough to support yourself, a wife, and a kid. Even less possible if you want more than one child.

When I lived in North Carolina, I had a beautiful place for $400/month. There's no way I was spending more than 1k per month, though to be fair I have no debt or wives or children.

Jewish convert to Orthodox Christianity and best-selling author of "On The Masons And Their Lies."
01-20-2020 04:10 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MichaelWitcoff's post:
Wayout
scorpion Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

I would encourage you to set your sights a bit higher than 200k. That's not going to be enough to raise a family or retire on unless you have some seriously low-cost, off-grid living setup or are able to get lucky and bootstrap a profitable business with it. If 200k seems like an impossibly high number (or even a big number) it's a good sign you need to work on developing your marketable skills. Even if you're currently down and out and can't find two dimes to rub together, it's not too late to develop profitable skills. Either learn a trade, learn to be a good salesman, or learn to code. All of those fields have relatively low barriers to entry and allow quick progression with hard work and diligence. There's no reason a moderately intelligent and industrious guy can't be making good money within 2-3 years in one of those fields. Just pick the path that suits you best given your particular aptitude and personality.

"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” - Romans 8:18
01-20-2020 06:48 PM
[-] The following 14 users Like scorpion's post:
Dr. Howard, arafat scarf, Sankt Michael, Latan, mr_ks, Brazilianguy, gework, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, SlickyBoy, PUA_Rachacha, John Michael Kane, Tactician, DJ-Matt, Loki131
Dr. Howard Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

If you have 200k cash, buy a house outright and then start investing your now zero rent/mortage payments. Having a paid off house is a pretty good feeling of independence, even if its modest.

Make sure you buy it in a low property tax state though.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV
01-20-2020 07:33 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Dr. Howard's post:
redbeard, Latan, Zenta
renotime Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

So you want to make 3k a month without risking any of the 200k?

If that's the case learn a freelance skill. Here's a list of the top paying freelance jobs.

https://blog.invoicely.com/highest-payin...ance-jobs/

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.
01-20-2020 07:47 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes renotime's post:
Wayout
TigOlBitties Offline
Kingfisher

I would need around a million to seriously consider never working again in the US. $500k to work part time or move abroad. You shouldn't take out more than 4% of your retirement investments each year. A paid off house with low property taxes and utilities could make things a lot easier, however.

Even with a million, I'd still want to work part time. I'm only 29 and would get bored. Working around 20 hours a week would be a perfect balance to pursue hobbies and travel.

I like index funds, and Vanguard, Fidelity, Charles Schwab, etc. have good options.
01-20-2020 09:02 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like TigOlBitties's post:
Latan, Dr. Howard, Zenta, gework
Repo Offline
Hummingbird

(01-20-2020 04:10 PM)MichaelWitcoff Wrote:  
(01-20-2020 09:38 AM)redbeard Wrote:  No. At the end of the day, $200k is not that much unless you plan to camp out in a shack in Thailand for the rest of your life.

When I lived in North Carolina, I had a beautiful place for $400/month. There's no way I was spending more than 1k per month, though to be fair I have no debt or wives or children.

You likely have a different perspective of what a beautiful place is than the vast majority of people. Ive been to NC plenty of times and any place I would ever want to live was nowhere near that range. Having 1k to spend is poverty level income. . . .essentially minimum wage.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020 09:15 PM by Repo.)
01-20-2020 09:06 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Repo's post:
redbeard
MichaelWitcoff Offline
Kingfisher

I guess it depends what you value in life. Had a job I loved, a week off at a time, a floor to myself in a quiet house with a pool outside and a mountain range in the backdrop. Hard to beat for people like me.

01-20-2020 09:39 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like MichaelWitcoff's post:
Chisum, Loki131
Graft Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

"Quit your job" is a different action than "retire forever."

If I had 200k right now half of it would be in cryptocurrency so I could really retire. If I had 100k all of it would be in cryptocurrency right now.

If I grind my way to 200k, month by month, I would take a few years to travel the globe. If I get a life changing event like starting a successful company or having a seven figure year at work, I'd want to have more cash out of that "event" than 200k.

I would never fully retire. If I won the Powerball, I'd feel like such a useless prick if I didn't use the money to become a man who accomplished something. I never understood how these people won $300 million plus and not do shit with it besides spend it and give it away.

I'd say at this point, 350-500k is much more of my range for a "mini-event." I'm only taking risks that would lead me to at least that dollar amount. I'd pull out 60k or so and live on it for a few years abroad.

I built this empire and I did it by myself. Nobody did it for me. Not Ivana, not Marla. Nobody! ~Donald Trump

As poorly as women are doing, men are doing ten times worse.
01-20-2020 11:57 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Graft's post:
gework
kel Online
Woodpecker

(01-20-2020 11:57 PM)Graft Wrote:  If I had 200k right now half of it would be in cryptocurrency so I could really retire. If I had 100k all of it would be in cryptocurrency right now.

I believe in crypto and use it myself (not just "invest" in it, I actually use it, which is important for it to ever really work), but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket like that. I mean, I buy bullets, long-shelf-life food, and property as well and consider them a good investment and useful commodity, but I don't put everything in any of them.

Which are use investing in? I keep most of my "storage" in BTC and ETH and use XMR for transactions as much as possible. I'm over altcoins for the most part.
01-21-2020 02:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kel's post:
gework
kel Online
Woodpecker

(01-20-2020 09:39 PM)MichaelWitcoff Wrote:  I guess it depends what you value in life. Had a job I loved, a week off at a time, a floor to myself in a quiet house with a pool outside and a mountain range in the backdrop. Hard to beat for people like me.

Sounds like something to stick with, why'd you leave?
01-21-2020 02:43 PM
Zenta Offline
Robin
Gold Member

(01-20-2020 09:02 PM)TigOlBitties Wrote:  I would need around a million to seriously consider never working again in the US. $500k to work part time or move abroad. You shouldn't take out more than 4% of your retirement investments each year. A paid off house with low property taxes and utilities could make things a lot easier, however.

Even with a million, I'd still want to work part time. I'm only 29 and would get bored. Working around 20 hours a week would be a perfect balance to pursue hobbies and travel.

I like index funds, and Vanguard, Fidelity, Charles Schwab, etc. have good options.

Imho this is the most realistic answer to "retiring early". A million is the goal number and sadly as the years go by that number should realistically go up as well. You could in theory pull 40k a year off a million in index funds and live a decent life. 200k would only pull you 8k and thats not very much money and thats assuming your 200k stays untouched or the market doesn't crash or something.

My goal is 500k-1m and working part time. Thats a high number to achieve but its also the most realistic to support yourself and family on. 200k would be better if you already owned a house with no debt but just to buy a house in my area youre looking at 130-200k for something decent(which is low compared to most places).
01-21-2020 05:53 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Zenta's post:
Dr. Howard, gework, TigOlBitties
MichaelWitcoff Offline
Kingfisher

(01-21-2020 02:43 PM)kel Wrote:  
(01-20-2020 09:39 PM)MichaelWitcoff Wrote:  I guess it depends what you value in life. Had a job I loved, a week off at a time, a floor to myself in a quiet house with a pool outside and a mountain range in the backdrop. Hard to beat for people like me.

Sounds like something to stick with, why'd you leave?

Mostly a high-drama girlfriend and some issues with the job I had after the one I loved.

01-22-2020 03:03 AM
Parlay44 Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

(01-20-2020 01:12 AM)MichaelWitcoff Wrote:  I’d probably buy a nice Tiny House and never work again. Could probably live off 200k (maybe 170k after the house was purchased) for the rest of my life if I didn’t have to worry about rent.

So much for having kids and leaving them an inheritance Laugh

Team Nachos
01-22-2020 07:29 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Parlay44's post:
redbeard, BBinger
Simeon_Strangelight Offline
Hawk
Gold Member

You want a risk-free 18% ROI and live off that? This is not going to happen - it won't be risk-free or you won't make that kind of return. On top of it - you are young with a growing family. Something unforeseen will happen that necessitate more income for sure. In our economic model the safety of landed gentry income disappeared centuries ago. Change is the only constant. You have to keep on pimping unless you have truly massive assets and can hire people who will do the work for you. But 200k isn't it.

I can think of low-risk ways to make 1-1.5k/month, but that's about it.
01-22-2020 07:43 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like Simeon_Strangelight's post:
redbeard, SlickyBoy, Loki131, balybary
gework Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

If your looking at higher risk yo could look at lending money on Crypto.com for fixed rates.

I have no idea how secure this is, but for stable coins (USD backed) you can get about 14% interest per year, including compound interest.

You can get lower rates on crypto. For example you can get about 8% yearly on BTC (not including compound). So if you think BTC is going up it's a way to multiply gains.

So with $200,000, you could take around $28,000 from lending out USD stable coins. I've made much more than that on another lending platform when rate were better.

I saw crypto bottom around 5 Jan, when the 1W candle MACD turned over and RSI went low enough. When that's happened it's always been the bottom of the crypto bear market. So I would be looking at a decent crypto allocation though.
01-22-2020 07:50 AM
kel Online
Woodpecker

(01-22-2020 07:43 AM)Simeon_Strangelight Wrote:  I can think of low-risk ways to make 1-1.5k/month, but that's about it.

Say more. I like my job (not the office and management bullshit so much, but the job itself) and am not looking to quit, but I've been wanting to make some passive income (besides investments) if possible. If it covers rent then I'm living for free.
01-22-2020 07:03 PM