Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash
PapayaTapper Away
Crow
Gold Member

Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash
[Image: 23899654-7931909-image-a-54_1580067159565.jpg]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...tion-small

Used to run into him at the local Blockbuster video and Starbucks. Seemed like a nice enough guy

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 02:51 PM by PapayaTapper.)
01-26-2020 02:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 7 users Like PapayaTapper's post:
doc holliday, jordypip23, robreke, Leonard D Neubache, Lace em up, burner-account, burncushlikewood
doc holliday Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

RE: Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash
Yeah just saw this and posted in a dupe thread. Brutal. Life is short, unpredictable and precious. One of the greatest players of all time. RIP Kobe.
01-26-2020 02:54 PM
[-] The following 7 users Like doc holliday's post:
PapayaTapper, jordypip23, Tactician, robreke, Gusamaso, burner-account, JohnKreese
Goni Offline
Sparrow

May he rest in peace.

Not a great fan of Basketball myself but Kobe was indeed one of the 2 greatest players of all times and pretty much everyone has heard about him. He brought basketball into a new age.

Sad to hear this.
01-26-2020 02:57 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Goni's post:
jordypip23, Gusamaso
PapayaTapper Away
Crow
Gold Member

Theyre saying it was his own personal helicopter. I wonder if he was piloting it.

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell
01-26-2020 02:58 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like PapayaTapper's post:
jordypip23, debeguiled, Rob Banks
dicknixon72 Offline
Kingfisher

It was a Sikorsky S-76, an expensive and safe helicopter. These are IFR-capable (it was a foggy day) when equipped.

[Image: 7452699398_a4a5c7dd5d_m.jpg]
Allegedly, this is his^ N76FL
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 03:06 PM by dicknixon72.)
01-26-2020 03:04 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like dicknixon72's post:
911, jordypip23, debeguiled, burner-account, Salinger
PapayaTapper Away
Crow
Gold Member

(01-26-2020 03:04 PM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  It was a Sikorsky S-76, an expensive and safe helicopter. These are IFR-capable (it was a foggy day) when equipped.

[Image: 7452699398_a4a5c7dd5d_m.jpg]
Allegedly, this is his^ N76FL

Do you know if he was a pilot?

Joseph Campbell
01-26-2020 03:08 PM
911 Online
Crow

Looks like the chopper was out of control, coming in too fast and sideways over that building:

Funny how life works, if he were a bit less successful, he would probably still be around and not hopping on rooftops in his chopper... RIP.

λ ό γ ο ς
01-26-2020 03:08 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes 911's post:
burner-account
PapayaTapper Away
Crow
Gold Member

(01-26-2020 03:08 PM)911 Wrote:  Looks like the chopper was out of control, coming in too fast and sideways over that building:

Funny how life works, if he were a bit less successful, he would probably still be around and not hopping on rooftops in his chopper... RIP.

The way the rotors deformed it looks like they hit some wires or something

Joseph Campbell
01-26-2020 03:12 PM
Spectrumwalker Offline
Kingfisher

I was just about to say, looks like they got caught up in power lines. So sad.

Edit. I'm starting to wonder if that video is false too. Other photos show a crash site out in the hills. That vid looks like they woulda gone down in buildings.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 03:30 PM by Spectrumwalker.)
01-26-2020 03:14 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like Spectrumwalker's post:
Cr33pin, PapayaTapper, debeguiled, burner-account
Enigma Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

His wife just had another daughter less than a year ago. Very tragic.
01-26-2020 03:15 PM
budoslavic Offline
Crow
Gold Member

R.I.P.
01-26-2020 03:19 PM
Repo Online
Hummingbird

Is that video fake? Doesnt look like same model helicopter as the pic
01-26-2020 03:23 PM
eL-JJ Away
Robin

wtf..

01-26-2020 03:25 PM
RoastBeefCurtains4Me Offline
Ostrich

(01-26-2020 03:25 PM)eL-JJ Wrote:  wtf..

If his four daughters died, that's pretty sad. I didn't care before I knew that.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage
01-26-2020 03:27 PM
budoslavic Offline
Crow
Gold Member

^

Quote:Kobe Bryant Dies in Helicopter Crash ... Everyone On Board Dead

Kobe Bryant died in a helicoper crash in Calabasas Sunday morning ... TMZ Sports has confirmed.

Kobe was traveling with at least 3 other people in his private helicopter when it went down. A fire broke out. Emergency personnel responded, but nobody on board survived. 5 people are confirmed dead. We're told Vanessa Bryant was not among those on board.

[Image: c2408ff2168744d39b1101633465b9de_md.jpg]

Eyewitnesses also tell us that they heard the helicopter's engine sputtering before it went down. As you can see, flames and smoke covered much of the scene from the wreck. The official cause of the crash is currently under investigation.

Kobe has famously used a helicopter to travel for years -- dating back to when he played for the Lakers. He was known for commuting from Newport Beach, CA to the STAPLES Center in DTLA in his Sikorsky S-76 chopper.

KB is survived by his wife Vanessa, and their four daughters -- Gianna, Natalia and Bianca and their newborn Capri. Kobe and Vanessa got married in 2001 after meeting in 1999.

Kobe has recently been spotted out at NBA games with his daughter Gianna -- a rising star basketball player herself. Their youngest daughter, Capri, was just born in June 2019.

Kobe is widely considered one of the greatest NBA players of all time -- making 18 All-Star teams during his 20 year career with the Lakers. He was a first-round pick in the 1996 draft, winning 5 NBA championships, 2 NBA Finals MVPs and he was the league MVP in '08.

He was on 15 All-NBA Teams, 12 All-Defensive Teams and led the league in scoring for two seasons. He ranks fourth in the NBA for all-time regular season scoring and all-time postseason scoring.

The Lakers famously retired both of Kobe's jerseys, number 8 and 24 ... the only player in team history to receive that honor.

Kobe's accomplishments stand far outside of the basketball world. He won an Oscar for his short film, "Dear Basketball," in 2018.

On Saturday, LeBron James passed Kobe as third on the all-time NBA scoring list. He paid tribute to Bron on Instagram -- his last post -- by saying, "On to #2 @kingjames! Keep growing the game and charting the path for the next."

At age 34, Kobe became the youngest player in NBA history to surpass the 30,000 point mark. Speaking of putting up points, the guy was notorious for his 81 point game against the Toronto Raptors in 2006. It was one of the greatest performances in modern NBA history.

He was 41 years old. RIP

Story developing ...

01-26-2020 03:29 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes budoslavic's post:
debeguiled
Ethan Hunt Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

I don't follow basketball but this is absolutely tragic.
01-26-2020 03:34 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ethan Hunt's post:
jordypip23
Thrill Jackson Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

KB is survived by his wife Vanessa, and their four daughters -- Gianna, Natalia and Bianca and their newborn Capri. Kobe and Vanessa got married in 2001 after meeting in 1999.

This and many other news outlets are confirming his daughters are still alive.

Still tragic, but good to know his daughters were not on that helicopter when it happened.

Growth Over Everything Else.
01-26-2020 03:36 PM
kosko Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

(01-26-2020 03:25 PM)eL-JJ Wrote:  wtf..

This hit me...

If this is indeed true it's an absolute tragic situation.

I wasn't a fan of Kobe as an athlete but post retirement I found him to be great as a hardened philosophical business man with his teachings on displine and work ethic are transferable to all parts of life. This also soured me because he is closer to age to me than most. It made me realize if I were to face the same fate my legacy to date would be lacking. It really has out things into perspective for me.

RIP to Kobe and prayers to his wife.
01-26-2020 03:37 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like kosko's post:
Enigma, jordypip23, Renzy
Nineteen84 Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

01-26-2020 03:41 PM
doc holliday Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

Uggh now they are saying that his 13 yr old daughter, Gianna, was on the helicopter with him after retracting that all of his daughters were on board. Stupid fake news getting everything wrong as usual but for now they are saying this.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-brya...calabasas/
01-26-2020 04:06 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like doc holliday's post:
budoslavic, burner-account
budoslavic Offline
Crow
Gold Member

There will be a press conference at 2 pm PST.

(01-26-2020 04:06 PM)doc holliday Wrote:  Uggh now they are saying that his 13 yr old daughter, Gianna, was on the helicopter with him after retracting that all of his daughters were on board. Stupid fake news getting everything wrong as usual but for now they are saying this.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-brya...calabasas/

^ Re: TMZ Update
Quote:UPDATE
1:19 PM PT -- We've obtained the dispatch audio in which you can hear the operator directing emergency personnel to the crash scene.

1:12 PM PT -- Rick Fox's attorney confirms the former Laker was NOT among those on board the helicopter, despite rumors that circulated suggesting he was.

12:49 PM PT -- President Trump just tweeted about Kobe's death ... saying, "Reports are that basketball great Kobe Bryant and three others have been killed in a helicopter crash in California. That is terrible news!"

12:35 PM PT -- Kobe's daughter Gianna Maria Onore -- aka GiGi -- was also on board the helicopter and died in the crash ... reps for Kobe tell TMZ Sports. She was 13.

We're told they were on their way to the Mamba Academy for a basketball practice when the crash occurred. The Academy is in nearby Thousand Oaks.

If true, the bold part doesn't sound good. It's best to wait until the official 2 pm PST press conference for detailed information.

Edit.
Quote:Kobe Bryant shares how a Catholic priest changed his life
Czarina Ong
Monday 2 May 2016 13:39 BST

Even though retired NBA legend Kobe Bryant was born and raised a Catholic, he made a few bad turns. But thankfully, the basketball star was able to turn his life around, and it was all thanks to a kind-hearted priest.

Back in 2003, Bryant's career and personal life hit an all-time low after he was accused by a woman of rape. Bryant admitted that he had sex with the woman, but denied rape. The court judge dropped the charges against him, but the woman still filed a civil lawsuit against him and they settled out of court.

Because of the scandal, advertisers wanted nothing to do with Bryant, and his wife Vanessa filed for divorce. But during that bleak moment in his life, Bryant knew who to turn to - God. He went to church and talked to his priest, and the conversation was really enlightening for the sports star.

"The one thing that really helped me during that process — I'm Catholic, I grew up Catholic, my kids are Catholic — was talking to a priest. It was actually kind of funny: He looks at me and says, 'Did you do it?' And I say, 'Of course not.' Then he asks, 'Do you have a good lawyer?' And I'm like, 'Uh, yeah, he's phenomenal.' So then he just said, 'Let it go. Move on. God's not going to give you anything you can't handle, and it's in his hands now. This is something you can't control. So let it go.' And that was the turning point," Bryant told GQ Magazine.

Bryant took the priest's advice to heart and sought to live his life better. Eventually, he and his wife got back together and have even started their own cause called the Kobe and Vanessa Bryant Family Foundation (KVBFF), which encourages young kids to develop their physical and social skills through sports and charity work.

When asked why they started the foundation, Bryant answered, "My career is winding down. At the end of my career, I don't want to look back and just say, 'Well, I had a successful career because I won so many championships and scored so many points.' There's something else that you have to do with that."

Looking back at his own mistakes, Bryant said that everybody deserves a second chance and a little lift every now and then. "[The homelessness] issue is one that kind of gets pushed on the back burner because it's easy to point the blame at those who are homeless and say, 'Well, you made that bad decision. This is where you are. It's your fault.' In life, we all make mistakes and to stand back and allow someone to live that way and kind of wash your hands of it... that's not right," he said.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 05:01 PM by budoslavic.)
01-26-2020 04:16 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like budoslavic's post:
Renzy, Handsome Creepy Eel
Handsome Creepy Eel Offline
Owl
Gold Member

Just because you can afford it doesn't mean it isn't misguided to use such a dangerous aircraft for routine trips. Helicopters are fragile and constantly playing with fire (or gravity) in order to achieve that coveted hovering ability.

Travel by helicopter to an urgent medical intervention or military mission. Not for fun and convenience.

Rip poor guy.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
01-26-2020 04:37 PM
[-] The following 9 users Like Handsome Creepy Eel's post:
jordypip23, The Wire, debeguiled, Graft, Rob Banks, burner-account, homersheineken, Sankt Michael, SlickyBoy
911 Online
Crow

Looks like the video I've posted above was from a different crash with the same kind of helicopter, no buildings around the real crash site, sorry about that.

λ ό γ ο ς
01-26-2020 04:42 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like 911's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, debeguiled
Sosa Online
Woodpecker
Silver Member

This is eerie.

Coincidence?

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 05:05 PM by Sosa.)
01-26-2020 05:03 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Sosa's post:
911, Handsome Creepy Eel, Salinger
Mikeyd03 Offline
Sparrow

Rest In Peace to Kobe and his daughter.

A true basketball legend. I remember shooting hoops in my front yard...Kobe was one of the guys the kids hooping always wanted to be.

Life is short. The rich, famous, and talented are all equal under the eye of time. Don’t postpone living for tomorrow. Tell those close to you that you love them and never take life for granted.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 05:16 PM by Mikeyd03.)
01-26-2020 05:16 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like Mikeyd03's post:
Spectrumwalker, njimko22, Handsome Creepy Eel, Leonard D Neubache, burner-account, Goni