Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Dumping the Smartphone
STG Offline
Pigeon

Dumping the Smartphone
I have recently stopped using my smart phone for multiple reasons. I have seen improvements in my life to such a degree that I think its worth looking into getting rid of your cellphone.

Being connected to the digital world 24/7 is unnatural. Humans have never had access to such technology until very recently. How often does your phone make a noise causing you to pause what you were doing or thinking to check it? Was this disturbance really necessary?

Wherever you go you see smartphone addicted zombies walking around. People on their phones while eating, watching a movie, or doing anything. I've read that younger people don't go out anymore and prefer to hang out in the digital world.

This website is more familiar with what dating apps have done to society.

Your cellphone is another way for you to be tracked. Whether you think this is a big deal or not is not the point. The government will never have to put tracking devices on people as they voluntarily carry their smartphones with them everywhere.

Cellphones emit radiation. The technology isn't old enough to declare it safe. Many people sleep with their phones right next to their head.

Consider the case of Jimmy Gonzalez - a heavy cell phone user who ended up getting cancer in 3 places - the side of his head he used the cell phone, in the chest right where he kept the cellphone in his pocket, and in the hand he used the cellphone with. https://www.rfsafe.com/florida-attorney-...and-chest/

Try an experiment. Go without a cellphone for 2 weeks and see what happens. Less stress and the ability to live in the present enjoying the here and now.

[Image: Jimmy-Gonzalez-Cell-Phone-Cancer-Brain-C...IATION.jpg]
02-29-2020 11:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like STG's post:
Australia Sucks, NoMoreTO
fokm Offline
Pigeon

RE: Dumping the Smartphone
This is laudable if you can do it.

My job does require that I have a smartphone. If I could ditch the smartphone, I would.

So instead, I do things that make it so I am more in control of it. I disable notifications of most applications. I don't have Facebook on my phone.

I watched some mini documentary a couple of months ago about how the phones are designed to be addicting. One guy who works in the business of getting people addicted to their phones said he uses his smartphone in grayscale mode -- that way those red notification bubbles next to apps aren't as addicting.
02-29-2020 07:41 PM
Captain Gh Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Getting rid of it completely would be nice... but let's get real... it's so ingrained @ this point that it ain't happening! Simply limit the usage... and also there's electromagnetic chaos eliminator that you can tag on it! Will reduce the radiation that you suffer from it!
02-29-2020 11:13 PM
Celibate Warrior21 Offline
Pigeon

This is the next addiction I need to work on.

Currently, I've been on No Fap for 60 something days and I'm starting to relive its many benefits. A man today gotta get rid of these addictions if he wants to progress and two of them are - constant fapping and smart phone addiction.

Go on No Fap and get back to living like It was the 90s again when Smart Phones didn't take over our lives.
03-02-2020 07:57 AM
gza89 Offline
Pigeon

agreed, I used an old blackberry without any addictive apps, (BB9790), I feel much clamer during the day, but its getting used
03-02-2020 07:23 PM
No More Mr. Soy Boy Offline
Banned

Don't see the point. If you're worried about radiation then wrap it into foil or something which reduce EMF, use a wired headset and have it in a bag.
If you're procrastinating then delete the apps that are of no good like games, dating and social media.

But I wouldn't go without Google Maps and some payment apps that I use daily and which make it very comfortable.
03-02-2020 08:15 PM
STG Offline
Pigeon

Tin foil will not stop the radiation. To stop the radiation would essentially render the phone unusable as the phone would not be able to pick up service. You should be leaving the phone in airplane mode while you sleep.

How did people get around before google maps? Most people today can't use a paper map. How many people could drive from one end of the country to the other with nothing but paper maps and a compass?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/can...in-cancer/

Quote:Back in 2006, Henry Lai, a professor emeritus at the University of Washington analyzed all available studies on cell phone radiation from 1990 to 2006. He found that 50% of the 326 studies showed a biological effect from radio-frequency radiation, but when he divided them into independently funded studies and those funded by the wireless industry he found the split was 70 – 30.

“Even if you accept all the industry studies, you still end up with 50-50,” Lai told Seattle Mag in 2011. “How could 50% all be garbage? People always start with the statement ‘hundreds of studies have been done on this topic, and no effect has been found’ — but this is a very misleading statement.”

Cellphones, blue tooth, all wireless technology is exposing people to radiation at levels far greater then even 20 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the never ending barrage of radiation is contributing to the drop in testosterone.

All this technology is too new to say "the science is settled". Even AM Radio is only about 100 years old.

I've been about a couple weeks with no cell phone. At first it feels weird as I've been carrying one for about 15 years. Now I feel more free.

When I do communicate with people the interaction is more real and I feel more connected. When I leave home I am independent and never interrupted. I get more done and feel more grounded in the present.

Being connected all the time probably has psychological effects. I think a big part of the problems of society are from too much internet, smart phones, tablets, and video games. This technology is making us weak, dumbing us down, and dulling our senses.
03-02-2020 08:41 PM
Avant-Garde Offline
Sparrow

I keep my smartphone use to a minimum and turn it off for the most part. The tracking part is real as the phone will keep pinging towers even if you're not using it, just by being on. You can check out feature phones like the old Nokias and flip phones but if they're 2G or 3G these networks are getting phased out and these phones may not work anymore.
03-03-2020 01:58 AM
joost Offline
Kingfisher

I don't stare at my phone all day like many youngsters do. But like 5 billion people in this planet, I will continue to use my phone daily.
03-04-2020 11:37 AM
Lee Harvey Pozzwald Offline
Banned

I inverted the colours on mine, and found that my usage dropped precipitously. Another thing I did was get rid of all apps (with the exception of my bank's app and Uber). I often forget about my phone because I use it so little. You will find that once you get your head out of your phone you're way more socially aware and observant, and correspondingly a lot of social anxiety disappears.
03-04-2020 08:16 PM
acco Offline
Sparrow

(03-03-2020 01:58 AM)Avant-Garde Wrote:  The tracking part is real as the phone will keep pinging towers even if you're not using it, just by being on.

And in days like these, tracking is increasingly used.
03-19-2020 06:23 AM