Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Is popular music evil?
Rob Banks Online
Kingfisher

Is popular music evil?
I was doing some reading about the history of popular music in America and it seems that a lot of conservatives back in the day considered it to be evil (especially rock n' roll in the 1950s and '60s).

Apparently, rock n' roll was heavily influenced by black music, the emphasis on the beat was considered sexual, and even the term "rock n' roll" was previously a slang term for sex used among blacks.

Of course, rock n' roll heavily influenced pretty much all forms of popular music that we hear today (some of which are overtly sexual, overtly satanic, etc.).

Here is an interesting Quora thread about the topic.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2020 12:41 AM by Rob Banks.)
03-07-2020 12:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob Banks's post:
gework
Garuda Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Is popular music evil?
(03-07-2020 12:39 AM)Rob Banks Wrote:  Apparently, rock n' roll was heavily influenced by black music, the emphasis on the beat was considered sexual, and even the term "rock n' roll" was previously a slang term for sex used among blacks.

Yeah, one of the main influences for musicians like the Rolling Stones and Eric Clapton was a black blues guitarist from the Mississippi delta named Robert Johnson.

There's a myth that he sold his soul to the devil for guitar skills at a highway junction down there. That most likely came from his songwriting and testimony from musicians like Son House, who always wondered how he became so good so fast. He also died at age 27.
03-07-2020 01:14 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Garuda's post:
Dr. Howard
Rob Banks Online
Kingfisher

Apparently there was a widespread rumor that that Robert Johnson guy sold his soul to the devil.

Quite fitting.
03-07-2020 02:43 AM
Leonard D Neubache Offline
Owl
Gold Member

I think it sways between evil and just garbage. Rarely you get a decent tune without a subversive message attached to it which these days almost seems like nothing more than bait to keep the sane/moral folk on the hook.

Virtually everything in the entertainment industry these days is tractor owned and tractor operated for purposes of tractor subversion.

I don't even know what songs are in the top 40 right now and I feel better for my ignorance. Fortunately the internet age has destroyed a great deal of the music industry's reach since people are far more able to listen to whatever pleases them rather than what trash gets put on their plate. Tractors obviously still control what gets fed to the masses through the algorithm but things are still better than they used to be.

God demands of Man responsibility. God demands of Woman vulnerability. These are their curse and blessing alike. Libertianism is to Man as Feminism is to Woman.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2020 02:51 AM by Leonard D Neubache.)
03-07-2020 02:50 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leonard D Neubache's post:
Dr. Howard
MichaelWitcoff Offline
Kingfisher

There’s stuff that’s popular in other countries and isn’t total garbage, but you”ll rarely find anything worthwhile on the American billboards.

Jewish convert to Orthodox Christianity and best-selling author of "On The Masons And Their Lies."
03-07-2020 02:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
CynicalContrarian Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

Another control mechanism if nothing else.
03-07-2020 04:10 AM
Roosh Offline
Eagle

Roosh
http://www.rooshv.com
03-07-2020 11:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 8 users Like Roosh's post:
Rob Banks, MusicForThePiano, Leonard D Neubache, pitbullowner, Sankt Michael, redbeard, Richard Turpin, kruger41
Easy_C Offline
Crow

03-07-2020 11:58 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Easy_C's post:
MusicForThePiano
Rob Banks Online
Kingfisher

(03-07-2020 04:10 AM)CynicalContrarian Wrote:  Another control mechanism if nothing else.

Some people (including me) might argue that it is not just "another" control mechanism but the most powerful control mechanism in the last 100 or so years.

I've met people who literally need to have their music playing 24/7, whether they are at home, work, on the road, on the train, or wherever. They even listen to it when working on something that requires concentration or in bed while going to sleep.

I don't understand that at all. Listening to the same type of music for more than a few hours at a time seems like it would be incredibly irritating.

In the past, music was something that was enjoyed during live performances. People did not be listening to music all day every day. And the music (for example, classical music) was expected to conform to the church's standards of morality and not encourage degeneracy.

These days, people (many, many people who we would consider "normal") build their entire identities around their favorite artists and the type of music they listen to.

I'm not sure if the so-called "sexual revolution" of the 1960s could have happened without the influence of popular music (namely rock n' roll). I wouldn't be surprised if earlier changes in society, such as first wave feminism, were also influenced by the popular music of the day (although I have no proof of this).
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2020 12:39 PM by Rob Banks.)
03-07-2020 12:39 PM
[-] The following 7 users Like Rob Banks's post:
HermeticAlly, CynicalContrarian, robreke, gework, Sankt Michael, Richard Turpin, nomadbrah
MusicForThePiano Offline
Woodpecker

(03-07-2020 12:39 PM)Rob Banks Wrote:  
(03-07-2020 04:10 AM)CynicalContrarian Wrote:  Another control mechanism if nothing else.

Some people (including me) might argue that it is not just "another" control mechanism but the most powerful control mechanism in the last 100 or so years.

I've met people who literally need to have their music playing 24/7, whether they are at home, work, on the road, on the train, or wherever. They even listen to it when working on something that requires concentration or in bed while going to sleep.

I don't understand that at all. Listening to the same type of music for more than a few hours at a time seems like it would be incredibly irritating.

In the past, music was something that was enjoyed during live performances. People did not be listening to music all day every day. And the music (for example, classical music) was expected to conform to the church's standards of morality and not encourage degeneracy.

These days, people (many, many people who we would consider "normal") build their entire identities around their favorite artists and the type of music they listen to.

I'm not sure if the so-called "sexual revolution" of the 1960s could have happened without the influence of popular music (namely rock n' roll). I wouldn't be surprised if earlier changes in society, such as first wave feminism, were also influenced by the popular music of the day (although I have no proof of this).

Yes there is such a thing as too much music, hearing too many notes, something that Emperor Joseph II allegedly even told Mozart one evening after a performance. That pales in comparison to these people today who are inundated with their headphones 24/7 , the music acts similar to a drug in that it keeps them a little buzzed all the day. I know a few people like this, you try to talk to them and they have some stupid music blasting in the background, or they are putting in headphones in at a bar while you're trying to have a social night out with some friends. Of course these are similar to people who have to be under a drug 24/7 too like weed, just an inherent spiritual weakness, silence is painful to these people, when, if you understand true music, you know that silence is part and parcel of the whole experience.

I seem to remember a thread from a few years back where someone claimed the beat in modern music was demonic. Lots of opposing views transpired, but I think there are certain frequencies that are gateways to the other side (and pure evil). These manifest in lyrics, time signatures, or in certain chords (anyone recall the devil's tritone?). Just about all hip hop and rap are demonic, and most popular music. Music that is earned and honest and not given is also pure, some people may just be born with a gift, others do sell out, but look at all the mainstream alleged musicians (I wouldn't even call them that) that just produce (((hits))) like clockwork. Most do not have an understanding or appreciation for what music is, a way to communicate your love for the creator and his creations. I believe this, similar to how Tolkien wrote his origin lore for LOTR, where the God of that universe wove music to celebrate creation, and the first dissonance comes from the fallen one and later his lieutenants:

"The Creation of Arda and all of the known world is attributed to Eru Illuvatar, "the One". He speaks the universe into existence, with the word Eä meaning "It is". Eä is thus the original term for and name of Arda, counting the Earth, the Void, and different specific regions of the skies and heavens.

Eru had produced from his thought angelic spirits, all good in nature, named the Ainur, asking them to sing to Him a melodious tune, to which he added his own splendorous themes. The music of this defined the changes and events that would take place on Arda after its approaching manifestation. One of the Ainur was Melkor, whose name later became Morgoth, who was evil, from whom all evil would stem in Middle-earth and Arda as a whole. Melkor introduced his own evil discords into the main musical theme, disrupting its harmony. In this instance Eru put a stop to the music at once, and manifested all of Eä immediately."

Most music I enjoy is ambient, instrumental, and the most sublime are those of Gregorian or Monastic chanting, and old orchestral suites dedicated to the Most High. Rock n Roll is evil, despite how much I used to enjoy that music, I can't listen to most of it now because I know what's going on behind the scenes. I appreciate the likes of Alice Cooper, Kerry Livgren, Rick Wakemen, Mark Farner, who have found Christ and changed their lives. Also can't forget some amazing guitarists and musicians like Marty Robbins (check out his song "The Masters Call") , Merle Haggard, who once told Leno “I believe Jesus is God and a pig is just ham,” Haggard sings. “I’m just a seeker. I’m just a sinner. I am what I am." and of course the great Johnny Cash, who once ripped back at an interviewer trying to shoehorn him into a box with a denomination label:

[A writer once tried to paint [Johnny] Cash into a corner, baiting him to acknowledge a single denominational persuasion at the center of his heart. Finally, Cash laid down the law: “I—as a believer that Jesus of Nazareth, a Jew, the Christ of the Greeks, was the Anointed One of God (born of the seed of David, upon faith as Abraham has faith, and it was accounted to him for righteousness)—am grafted onto the true vine, and am one of the heirs of God’s covenant with Israel.”

“What?” the writer replied.

“I’m a Christian,” Cash shot back. “Don’t put me in another box."]

I'm a bit skeptical of Bob Dylan's claims to Christianity because of that infamous interview where he talks about the devil waiting. Also skeptical of alleged conversions of obvious globohomo puppets like Bono. Here is an example of pure music, earwash if you will:

You can't cheat nature.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2020 05:31 PM by MusicForThePiano.)
03-07-2020 05:25 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like MusicForThePiano's post:
Nineteen84, Baron Ungern, RoastBeefCurtains4Me, gework, Sankt Michael
Rob Banks Online
Kingfisher

(03-07-2020 05:25 PM)MusicForThePiano Wrote:  ...Just about all hip hop and rap are demonic...

I agree with this. The fact that rappers are allowed to promote "misogyny" in their music and the (((mainstream media))) gives them a pass tells you pretty much everything you need to know about whether or not rap music is evil.

But would you say the style of music is demonic by definition?

Pretty much all rap and hip hop is evil because it promotes degeneracy and ghetto values (ironically I don't find its promotion of violence and physical strength to be particularly bad).

But what if there was an artist who rapped about things God would approve of (for example using violence to protect one's wife and family, making money honestly through hard work, finding a good woman, etc.)? Would it still be evil just based on the beat and the style of music?

Also, what makes you think rap and hip hop are any more evil than rock or other styles of popular music?
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2020 06:22 PM by Rob Banks.)
03-07-2020 06:21 PM
MusicForThePiano Offline
Woodpecker

(03-07-2020 06:21 PM)Rob Banks Wrote:  
(03-07-2020 05:25 PM)MusicForThePiano Wrote:  ...Just about all hip hop and rap are demonic...

I agree with this. The fact that rappers are allowed to promote "misogyny" in their music and the (((mainstream media))) gives them a pass tells you pretty much everything you need to know about whether or not rap music is evil.

But would you say the style of music is demonic by definition?

Pretty much all rap and hip hop is evil because it promotes degeneracy and ghetto values (ironically I don't find its promotion of violence and physical strength to be particularly bad).

But what if there was an artist who rapped about things God would approve of (for example using violence to protect one's wife and family, making money honestly through hard work, finding a good woman, etc.)? Would it still be evil just based on the beat and the style of music?

Also, what makes you think rap and hip hop are any more evil than rock or other styles of popular music?

Other than blatant black death metal that openly worships the devil and other demons in their lyrics, rap is the top contender for demonic possession, activity, worship, etc. It's blatant and primitive obeisance to the flesh and to all things retarded and inane couldn't be more obvious. It was set up to make blacks regress to their more criminally-minded psyches, by people who also had stakes in the prison industry. There are plenty of blacks who recognize this and revile the so called "music" for what it is. Then again, for every one who does, there are about 19 who don't. And in the last 20 years, all the retarded white kids bought into it too and now they have no identity and are wondering what their purpose is on this earth. Popular music in and of itself, is nothing but a circle-jerk of self-worship. Very few songs pertain to God and of submitting before a higher power, and those were in the days of yore. The hysterical shouting and spitting and seizure-like dancing that is twerking and juking which accompanies said "music" looks like, from the outside, a bunch of demons holding humans on puppet strings making them move in the most hideous manner, befitting wild animals and brainless savages. Kanye may be trying to undo that with his recent albums but the genre as a whole will never come to the light, it will always serve the dark. The much earlier street hip-hop of the late 80s and 90s had witty lyrics and was more akin to the life and struggles they all faced in their ghettos, and was more about survival, truth, betrayal, and legacy than it was violence, murder, sex, drugs, money, and demon worship.

Though some metal bands even have spiritual battles and write songs to act as an exorcism against their musical opponents, as was the case between Karl Sanders of Nile and Trey Azagthoth of Morbid Angel. As ridiculous as it may sound, there is a war going on behind the scenes between Karl and Trey Azagthoth. A spiritual battle, in which Karl and Trey use their music as malevolent sorcery against one another. This may not affect the general population but it still goes to show that there are multiple ways to make music for the wrong reasons. But such is free will, we cannot lament these people or their choices, we must accept the fact that music is a blank palette out there with infinite possibilities for creation and imagination, and its how you use that gift that determines whether it is evil or not.

I think there are a lot of songs that you could take the words out of, and the notes themselves do not represent demonic chord progressions, but the very fact that evil lyrics are written over the notes makes the song altogether dirty. It's like putting a ouija board inside a brand new car, the vehicle, though neutral in its physical component composition, is now tainted with the stain of darkness from its unwanted occupancy. The same goes with good lyrics written over bad chords. As for rap, it's style is more verse and less prose, and it is based on subculture not anything lofty or empyrean as the gifts bestowed upon the composers of old.

You can't cheat nature.
03-08-2020 06:26 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like MusicForThePiano's post:
gework, Tex Cruise, Sankt Michael
Peacock
Gold Member

Then also, let's not forget that some of the best rock music is narcotic induced - heroin, cocaine, LSD... Confused
03-08-2020 07:11 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes CynicalContrarian's post:
pitbullowner
HermeticAlly Offline
Woodpecker

I'm not completely sure if modern Top 40/EDM/hip-hop (and any combination thereof) is actually inherently evil or not, but it is completely awful. It's offensive from the standpoint of good taste, complexity, thoughtfulness, sophistication - it exists somewhere between auditory caffeine background noise, and club-dance-inducing debauchery. It's useless and every thoughtful person ought to completely reject it.

As far as rock goes, I don't know. A lot of the old arguments against it from the 50s-60s strike me as pretty stupid and poorly thought out. I do think a lot of the Boomer music of the 60s has aged poorly, and don't care for any of the drug-and-sex glorifying stuff anymore. Satanic black metal bands are no good, I agree.

But there's a lot of good stuff that falls under the umbrella of "rock" that clearly isn't evil. Yes, Rush, those sorts of bands that seem more about trying to craft thoughtful music that's well composed and performed - I dig that.

Although most of what I listen to could be technically categorized as "rock," it bears little resemblance to the sex-and-drugs music of the 60s aside from generally being performed with guitar, bass, and drums in there somewhere.
03-08-2020 07:41 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like HermeticAlly's post:
Zep, Salinger
NoMoreTO Offline
Pelican

Modern day popular music especially so. The older stuff I don't think it always bad in and of itself, other than we could be listening to something nicer. But I admit a personal preference for 60s and 70s rock is likely causing me to make excuses.

I got the Requiem Mass CD at the local Church bookstore, almost by happenstance. I put it in my car with the idea 'this will be good for me to learn some Christian music"

That was about 6 months ago. At first I thought it was good because it kept me calm in traffic in my car.

Now I find when I switch to the radio, the music is just awful, the announcers are awful, the news is awful.

For professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. Rom 1:22
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2020 10:03 AM by NoMoreTO.)
03-08-2020 10:00 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like NoMoreTO's post:
gework, redbeard
pitbullowner Offline
Kingfisher

Yes

Your actions speak louder than your words, son.
-My father, R.I.P.

My Twitter handle
My Telegram Channel

(02-15-2020 12:26 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  The reality is that the only thing protecting the degenerates is the government. We talk about "law and order" but that's a trite concept when your government is Lawful-Evil rather than Lawful-Good in order to put it in a blunt albeit nerdy way.
03-08-2020 10:09 AM
BlastbeatCasanova Offline
Kingfisher

(03-07-2020 06:21 PM)Rob Banks Wrote:  

snip

This bigtime. How do people not understand the hypocrisy being a feminist and screeching against "much violence against wimin" and then bumping the latest "I smack a hoe, kick her out the spot soon as I get my nut" top rap song?

I don't think most music is evil. It's like with TV today, what used to be entertainment is now used as programming. It comes down to our culture being sick and twisted because malevolent powers have seized control and are using America as their perverse globohomo diverse petri dish experiment.

With youth there is always going to be raw energy and rebellion, this sort of mix gave rise to rock n' roll, punk, etc. For better or worse young people are going to be young people and do as much stupid kid stuff (sex, drugs, etc.) as the current culture allows them.

The main issue with music is the lack of sophistication and real intelligence in the masses today. You can see this with how popular rap and pop music are. These genres of music are the most simple and low-effort types of music to digest, perfect for normies. You don't have to think, you just enjoy a catchy beat and get your programming. Rap and pop are like candy, sweet and easy to consume but gets old very quickly, hence why the industry is always pumping out songs. Other genres of music (rock) offer something more substation in terms of listening and "feeling" and can last for many years depending on how the music ages.

The other thing is that rap and pop are relatively easy to make; it can take literally one person to program a catchy beat on a computer and then you can use software to modify and edit and less-than-talented person's voice to sound amazing. Compare this to starting an actual band, you need at least 3-4 committed people, expensive gear, and actual skill that takes hours of practice to development...It's no shock guitar sales are down and kids are buying sample pads and software.

I hope the pendulum will swing back sometime soon as the rap/electronic genre's become super saturated. There is still a very healthy underground scene with passionate musicians still putting out real art. I maintain that some of the less accessible and digestible mediums of music (metal, folk, indie, etc.) still carry the spirit of real artistry because of the skill and passion it takes to do it and the lack of financial incentive promotes authenticity in the scene.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2020 11:54 AM by BlastbeatCasanova.)
03-08-2020 11:54 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like BlastbeatCasanova's post:
gework, HermeticAlly, Salinger
gework Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

I have wrote somewhere else on the forum on the appearance of sub-cultures in the first half of the 20th century. Up to that point there had been a homogeneous culture, outside of which there was little beyond the mentally ill and carnies.

It seems all of these sub-cultures have one of two origins – those who were disaffected or constrained from the then traditional/mainstream culture.

There are two strands of counter-culture: the pleasure seeking [constrained] (e.g. flappers) and the disenfranchised [disaffected] (e.g. beatniks).

The pleasure-seeking branch wanted to break down social norms to have more fun, to be materialistic, to be hedonistic, to be their own God. While the disenfranchised wanted to break down social norms to create somewhere they would be valued. It's not the norms they oppose, it's that they don't benefit from them. Though there is some overlap between the two in terms of pleasure-seeking, the former is positive and upbeat; while the latter is negative and downbeat (hence beatniks).

The beatnik movement, which emerged out of social outcasts involved in drug culture, crime, homosexuality and fornication, is the precursor to the music of Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Joplin, Jim Morrison etc. They also drew from the grievances of many blacks, whom they shared a bond with based on not fitting the mould. The origin of this thread of music is the blues (downbeat).

The mainstream, upbeat, materialistic pleasure-seeking movement originated earlier from places the cool kids went to get away from their parents, like bars. From this you get the stream of music like Elvis and disco. They drew on blacks with similar pleasure-seeking motives, from music like ragtime. While the blues stream has songs like Holiday's Strange Fruit, this stream has songs like All Coons Look a Lot Like Me.

The sound of music is an embodiment of the mentality of its authors. Much in the same way that a spoken accent is an embodiment of a regional peoples' mentality. An upper-class aristocrat speaks as a snob, looking down on the peons; a southern belle speaks with a openness and innocence and so on.

Upbeat music is an embodiment of pleasure seeking, mindless fun, status, omnipotent feelings. While downbeat music is a complaint on pestilence, otherness, low status, feelings of unworthiness etc.

There is very little music that does not fit in that mold – music that celebrates humility, sacrifice, temperance, patience, prudence.

Music overwhelmingly celebrates the seven sins:

Primarily upbeat: pride, gluttony, greed
Primarily downbeat: sloth, wrath, envy

They share lust in common, though I'd say it's more upbeat.

The downbeat have long been tied to left-wing ideaology. They are filled with envy that the superficial value in society resides with the upbeat (women, status, riches) and so they are besotted with sloth and wrath. This is the source of their destructive music like (death) metal. If the spoils of pleasure and status had fallen on their lap they wouldn't care about the downtrodden. They would think they are loosers while they try and notch supermodels.

For those who throw themselves heavily into either camp the results are typically dire; unless they happen to be one of the few who get the chance to cash in by selling out to a tall Israeli. On this side of the pond, when I was growing up there were trendies/townies and freaks/goths. The trendies grew up wearing sports brands, before switching to mass produced smart casuals. They listened to upbeat dance music and took upper drugs like pills. While the freaks got into depressing metal and dressed like they thought they were Neo from The Matrix, smoking weed.

Those who skew heavily to upbeat loose their life to pleasure. While those who are downbeat loose their life to woe. By the time they are forty its usually obvious to everyone what a terrible mistake they made, especially if they are women.

The overwhelming decider in which set you ended up in was social status. If you were cool you would be a trendy. If you could not fit in their rules you joined the alternative hierarchy, to belong. People only do it because of a lack of belonging. You only start listening to music about rape, cutting your arms open, depression and self-loathing if the mainstream (with its seductive pleasures) did not accept you.

With the casting off of Christian morals we have ended up in a society that is now largely 50/50 split between people who are happy with the distribution of what people find superficially valuable and those who are not. All Western countries are roughly 50/50 split at the polling booth, with this being the underlying narrative.

This is what happens when man makes the rules with idle hands, a great dividing.

In a society where pride, gluttony, greed are rampant sloth, wrath, envy will come to be present in equal measure. The only thing everyone can get behind is virtue.

Once you open the door to pleasure-seeking, particularly the creation of a very obvious sexual selection hierarchy, you guarantee that others' stake in society will be sacrificed to make way for the pleasure. You see that very clearly in the thread titled something like “39 year old women are starting to realise they will die alone” and other. For you to bang women of low moral fiber and for women to bang more impressive men is clearly creating incels full of envy (Chad and Stacey), wrath (Aleks Minasian) and sloth (every incel dropout). If you witness black magic rituals they require a life to be sacrificed in exchange for material pleasure. Demons first feed on suffering, before they sate themselves with material vices. This culture is a satanic ritual, in which the lowly are sacrificed for the luxury consumption of the decadent elite. And music is central to that.

Can't satisfy the soul, so we feed the flesh.

Quote:People in darkness do not want to come to the light lest they are exposed.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2020 04:13 PM by gework.)
03-08-2020 03:54 PM
[-] The following 9 users Like gework's post:
MusicForThePiano, Rob Banks, Emperor Constantine, mojo, NoMoreTO, Sankt Michael, BlastbeatCasanova, Wutang, nomadbrah
Zep Offline
Kingfisher

(03-08-2020 07:41 AM)HermeticAlly Wrote:  I'm not completely sure if modern Top 40/EDM/hip-hop (and any combination thereof) is actually inherently evil or not, but it is completely awful. It's offensive from the standpoint of good taste, complexity, thoughtfulness, sophistication - it exists somewhere between auditory caffeine background noise, and club-dance-inducing debauchery. It's useless and every thoughtful person ought to completely reject it.

As far as rock goes, I don't know. A lot of the old arguments against it from the 50s-60s strike me as pretty stupid and poorly thought out. I do think a lot of the Boomer music of the 60s has aged poorly, and don't care for any of the drug-and-sex glorifying stuff anymore. Satanic black metal bands are no good, I agree.

But there's a lot of good stuff that falls under the umbrella of "rock" that clearly isn't evil. Yes, Rush, those sorts of bands that seem more about trying to craft thoughtful music that's well composed and performed - I dig that.

Although most of what I listen to could be technically categorized as "rock," it bears little resemblance to the sex-and-drugs music of the 60s aside from generally being performed with guitar, bass, and drums in there somewhere.

^This is a good answer.

Is popular music evil?

Quote:What is the true definition of evil?

Evil, in a general sense, is the opposite or absence of good. ... Evil can denote profound immorality, but typically not without some basis in the understanding of the human condition, where strife and suffering (cf. Hinduism) are the true roots of evil.

sooo, no. It isn't evil. It's as evil as synthetic cheese, lousy sure, but evil? No.

I think this board needs to take a deeeeeep breath and relax. We're getting into SJW territory with the either/or, black/white, simplistic thinking. i.e. "a man once raped a woman, therefore, all men are rapists".

No.

Stop.

I'm a musician and have listened to more music than 90 percent of this forum. I'm hardly evil, and if music were evil I'd be in jail fifteen years ago.

Is it bad, oh yea. I tried to listen to an Arianna Grande cd a few months ago. Here's what I noticed, totally neutered, no real emotion. Same with Drake, totally neutered, devoid of deep emotion. Celine Dion, totally neutered, no emotion. I've noticed that there is a lot of sad, indie style music being made....gee, it's almost as if the music industry is trying to sedate everybody. Where's the spirited rock music? "More than a feeling" by Boston for example? Fantastic, emotionally rich, tune.

I've also noticed that I don't trust people who listen to 'calm' R&B, the smooth stuff. I've noticed that sometimes it's because they're trying to calm down a rough part of themselves. I've also noticed that people who make crazy, dissonant music are some of the truly nicest musicians I've met. Also noticed that a lot of speed metal guys are really smart, I.Q. smart, not necessarily emotionally smart.

So, no, popular music isn't evil.

Take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy this great tune by Boston.

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2020 09:33 PM by Zep.)
03-08-2020 09:31 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Zep's post:
RDF, BlastbeatCasanova, Salinger
Peacock
Gold Member

Well Boston certainly had a nasty effect on Gerald... [Image: Upside-smile.png]

03-08-2020 09:51 PM
Zep Offline
Kingfisher

(03-08-2020 09:51 PM)CynicalContrarian Wrote:  Well Boston certainly had a nasty effect on Gerald... [Image: Upside-smile.png]

Ugh. I'm ashamed now.

Clearly they induced toxic masculinity in Gerald.

Forget everything I wrote up there.

Oh no, @ 3:23 of this tune by "Boston" ( subversive innocent-sounding U.S. town ... ha! nice try Bolsheviks! ), people are CLAPPING to an ACOUSTIC GUITAR, no wonder when I heard this I felt like robbing old ladies.

03-08-2020 10:00 PM
Garuda Offline
Woodpecker

I think this whole evil thing really took off in four instances:

1. When 440Hz became the musical standard after WWII. People say 432Hz is the frequency of nature and 440Hz is mind control.
  2. When the Beatles' song Helter Skelter became connected to the Manson Family.
  3. When Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi used the devil's tritone in the song Black Sabbath. He said he modified the one in Holst's Mars, Bringer of War. I believe him since Black Sabbath's debut album was released on 2/13/1970, exactly 83 years after Wagner's death. Wagner is a favorite composer of many metal musicians.
  4. The two animal incidents...One where the crowd at an Alice Cooper concert ripped a chicken to pieces. The other was Ozzy Osbourne biting off the head of a bat onstage. How he didn't get rabies or coronavirus is beyond me.
03-08-2020 11:53 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Garuda's post:
pitbullowner
burncushlikewood Offline
Robin

African Americans contributed to every musical trend over the last centuries in history. From blues to rock to pop to rap boy bands and ballads . However I find most pop music to be very shallow and annoying. It's the same rhyming and completely sexually motivated music centred around the whole teen lifestyle. But there are some exceptions, like Michael Jackson. But pop music these days is all about the catchy lines and people's relationship escapades like the Taylor Swift's of the
world singing about how she got dumped last week. Music is one of my passions, relaxing to listen to and it makes going to the club much more enjoyable.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2020 12:06 AM by burncushlikewood.)
03-09-2020 12:05 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes burncushlikewood's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me
questor70 Offline
Ostrich

(03-08-2020 09:31 PM)Zep Wrote:  Rush, those sorts of bands that seem more about trying to craft thoughtful music that's well composed and performed - I dig that.

Rush promoted fornication--before Neil took over lyrics duties.

It also glorified the satantic pentagram (complete with a little homo-erotic butt action).

[Image: rush-starman-logo.jpeg]

(03-08-2020 09:31 PM)Zep Wrote:  Take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy this great tune by Boston.

Hah--a wolf in sheep's clothing! Boston promoted drug use! Wink

Seriously, if you want purity in music then limit yourself to Gregorian chant.
03-09-2020 12:06 PM
LINUX Away
Ostrich
Gold Member

Music is a way to tell a story.

Not everyone's story is a 72 beat per minute hymn.
03-09-2020 01:10 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like LINUX's post:
BlastbeatCasanova, RDF