I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Cost of Living City By City Worldwide: A Practical Guide For the International Player
Vacancier Permanent Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

Cost of Living City By City Worldwide: A Practical Guide For the International Player
I thought it would be very helpful to all of us to have a kind of central place that we can all post actual, real life prices for things of interest and basic necessity for the various places that we're each familiar. By familar, I mean first hand personal experience, not what one has read online or heard the friend of a friend of your neighbour mentioned casually in a conversation. You get the drift...Wink So go ahead, post actual prices in the various cities that you guys roll through.

I'll start with BKK:

The REAL City of Angels, BANGKOK.

At time of writing this: 1US$=31.7 Bahts

Full time living in a good hotel, right on Sukhumvit, in the heart of the action: $700/month. (between end of Oct 2010 to mid Feb 2011).

Meal at nice indian restaurant with a couple of drinks right by Asok on Sukhumvit: 380 Bahts=12 bucks (same price for a very tasty meal at any of the Arabic restaurants on Soi Arab/Soi 3).

Thai meal at any of the local joints: anywhere between 100 to 200 Bahts (3-6$ thats around Sukhumvit), the same meal will be about half away from the heart of BKK's downtown/touristy core.

Cabs: starting at 34 bahts or $1.07 and a ride would usually be anywhere from 40 to 80 bahts around the sukhumvit area, more to longer distances, specially during day time, where taking cabs is highly not recommended due to the very dense traffic but instead to take the very practical and easy to use, BTS. Fares are calculated based on distance travelled. For example from Asok or Nana station to National Stadium where MBK mall is located, if I recall correctly, a one way trip was about 45 Bahts (1.41$). Cab fares are with the meter. Never ever get on a cab where the driver doesn't use his meter as you'll get ripped off royally.

Cab ride from the international airport to say Asok or Nana or even Thong Lo 250 to 300 Bahts including highway tolls (7.87 to 9.45) for a 30-45 minute ride...as a comparison, the same ride from Pearson International in Toronto to my place, about the same length than in BKK from the airport to Asok, was $95....With 95$ in Bangkok, you can hop on a plane for any of the heavenly beaches of Phuket/Krabi or even to Bali/Singapore with Thai Airways International, one of the top 10 airlines in the world...

Booze: in high end clubs/bars: Singha 150 B (about 5 bucks); Heineken, 180.
Gogos at Soi Cowboy: 120-150 (4-5 bucks). Lady drinks: 150-200 (5-6.5) depending on drink/bar/gogo. (trust me, with the right girl/bar, this can be the best money spent all night...Wink only those who have been would know what I'm talking about, those who haven't can criticize all they want, but it's one thing that everyone must experience at least once in their life!Banana )
In local type of bars, a lot cheaper, think 50-60 bahts per drink...

1 hour of professional thai massage (200-300 bahts 6-9 bucks) without happy ending or special services. Those are extra and can be easily and cheaply obtained if deesired for an extra 500 or so baht (15 bucks). But nothing better than going for one hour massage every day just to have your entire body be brought back to life after a long day of working or recovering from a long night partying and hang over). As a comparison, one hour so so massage here in Boretown would go for at least 60 bucks at the cheapest joint.

- 24/7 delivery McDos or BKings (yeah, why the hell eat fast food while in a food heaven like LOS, but trust me, even McDos or Burger King is way more tastier in LOS than in NA because their products are natural, not filled with chemicals....more than once I had them deliver a nice combo for me and my girl (s) at 3-4 am after the club...for about 180 to 250 for combo (6 to 7.8$), including delivery fee and tip...
- electronics and cars are about 2 if not 3 times more expensive than North America. For example, I remember seeing an Iphone 3 for 20k Bahts (600 bucks)...
- delicious street food for 30-40 baht a plate and you can get filled for 90 bahts (3 bucks) with a nice plate of rice/noodles, vegetable, meat.
- super delicious and healthy fruits on a stick for about 10-20 baths per stick or small plastic bag (30 cents to 60 cents).
- big bottle of cold water from the 7/11 starting at 7 baths to 14 bath (almost free, really 1 or 2 quarters...Wink ).
- big bottle of Heineken that you buy freely from the 7/11 and they open it for you to drink it on the streets for 40 bahts (1.26$). AMAZING THAILAND!Smile
- box of 3 thin condoms: about 40 bahts (1.26). Smile
- gum, I believe 10 or 20 bahts (not sure anymore).
- delicious chicken pad thai 30-40 bahts (1 to 1.3 bucks).
- amazingly delicious big glasses of tropical fruit juices 30 to 60 bahts (1 to 2 bucks).
- nice condos to buy in a good area of BKK: starting at 50k$, if you look a little bit outside the fun area, you can find for 30k$.
-in Pattaya, on Jomtien beach, saw a bunch of ads for condos 1 or 2 blocks from the beach starting at 30k$ and if you spend another 5k, it'll be fully furnished. Unreal. For BKK, for about 60K, you can have a very nice pad that you can call your own. Or if you want to ball, make that 100k, fully furnished, penthouse type of thing. I'm working on that...Smile
as Bkk would be a PERFECT place to base oneself: 1st world city with 3rd world prices and with very easy and cheap access to world class locations.
- tailor made custom dress shirts, cloth: 500 bahts (15 bucks); cotton, 750B or 23$ each.
- tailor made 3 piece suit: from 3k B 95 bucks.
For about 500 bucks, you can have an entire new wardrobe. Smile Did I say how much I LOVE BKK? Smile

When I was living in BKK, I would withdraw everyweek about 15kBahts or 500 bucks and it would be more than enough for play money, to go out everynight, eat out all the time, pay for drinks for me, friends and girls. Add to that, 7-800 for accommodations and you get a monthly figure of about 2.7 to 2.8 but I'll round it up to 3k/month and I was having a lifestyle that would cost at least 12-15k here in Boretown.

The Greatest And Sickest City on Earth, Tokyo.
Current exchange rate: 1$ = 76.74 Yen.

Here's a tip/heads up for guys going to Tokyo for the first time: apparently you can only withdraw cash from the ATMs located inside the 7/11's. That's what I ended up doing everytime I need cash. Can any Tokyo pro confirm that you can only withdraw cash from the atms inside the 7/11s?

From what I remember off the top of my head from the time I spent there at the end of Feb 2011:

- Train from Narita to Ikebukuro station: 2000 yen ( I think) or 26 bucks.
- cab from Narita airport to Tokyo from 20000 to 30000+ (260 to 390$+) as it's quite far from Tokyo. So be aware of that if you cab it. I wonder how much is it with the Shinkansen...anyone knows from first hand experience?
- Unlimited* daily metro pass (*only on certain lines) 800 yen or 10.4$.
- Getting stuffed at a sush bar with the freshest, tastiest sushi in the entire world: 1000 to 1200 yen (13-15 bucks).
- meal at decent japanese restaurant including drinks: 2500-3000 yen (32-39$).
- Tickets to go up the Tokyo Tower: 800-1000 yen (10-15$). Well worth it as the views are spectacular!
- bus from Hilton Tokyo in Shinjuku to Narita Airport: 3000Y/person (39$).

Don't know about club entrances as I was there only for a week and the jet lag was brutal, I would wake up at 5 or 6am and by 8-9pm, would simply pass out. But from talking with guys, clubs are in the 3000-4000 or even 5000 yen (39-42-56$). Yeah, this is Tokyo and it shows. Go there with pocket fulls of hard currency, this isn't a place for low budget travelling.
- Nice pair of dress pants from a department store in Shinjuku (don't remember the name of the store) 30000 yen = 390$.
- Indian buffet in Shinjuku: 1000 yen = 13 bucks which is uber cheap for Tokyo. I couldn't believe the price when I saw it! Unfortunately, don't remember the name anymore...Sad
- Staying at Kimi Ryoken in Ikebukuro about 80 bucks/night. Wanted to try typical J style accommodations for the first 2 nights before moving to a more comfortable (western) hotel, the Hilton in Shinjuku...
- Staying at the Hilton in Shinjuku, right by the Metropolitan Government area: 32,000Y/night (416$/night) but my buddy being a staff at Air Canada got us a killer and unbeatable deal for 100 bucks per person per night. That for Tokyo and even more so a hotel of the calibre of the Hilton in Shinjuku is absolutely unreal and unheard of. Location, location, location, remember and Shinkjuku is where it's at.

I only spent 1 week in Tokyo and I was blown like no other place I've been. My dream is to spend a few months to a year or two there. Not all that time in Tokyo but also in cities like Osaka, Nagoya etc...I figure that for Tokyo, 5-6k/month would be the minimum budget to have a decent lifestyle, while that figure would allow a better lifestyle in the other citied cities. Can those who have spent long time in Japan chip on this?

The City of Unlimited Fresh, Sexy and Nubile 18 year olds Supply aka Cebu City, the Philippines

1$=43.3 Pesos

- Cab from airport to Cebu City, around Mango Square (200 pesos=4.61$)
- decent hotel, within walking distance to Mango Square (nightlife central) about 1000 pesos/night (23 bucks).
- beer outside clubs at Mango square: 50 pesos for an Heineken and 60 for a liquor. I remember starting the evenings sitting on those outside patios on Mango square and getting absolutely wasted for about 200-250 pesos (4.6 to 5.7$).
- Entrance to clubs on Mango square: between 50 to 100 pesos, including a local beer such as San Miguel or bottle of water (1.15 to 2.3$).
- cab from my hotel near Mango square to Ayala Mall, the biggest, nicest mall, heaven for day game: 40-50 pesos tops (90 cents to 1.15$).
- cab from my hotel near Mango square to Mactan, where the beaches in Cebu are located: 150-200 during the day, 250-300 at night. (3.46-4.6-5.7-6.9$).
- meal at a Jolibee, the local fast food: about 90 to 120 pesos 2.07 to 2.77). Not a big fan of it.
- meal at McDos: about 200 pesos 4.60$ for a combo). Yeah, I told you I must have eaten more in 3 weeks in the Phils in a fastfood than in the entire 2 years prior to that.
- delicious pizza at the local chain, yellow cab or something like that: 500 pesos (11.54) more than enough for 2 people.
During my 3 weeks in Cebu, I would withdraw about 10k Pesos every week (about 233 bucks) and that would be more than enough to go out every night, pay for drinks for me, buddies and girls, eat out all the time, basically do whatever the hell my heart desired without worrying about $. Add to that about 1k pesos/night for hotel for a total of about 50k Pesos for 3 weeks (about 1154 bucks). Mind you, if I were to stay for a longer term, I can certainly get the accommodation figure down to 3-400/month and then, go with a budget of 10k/week or 40k play money and 13k for an apart or about 50-55k Pesos or 1200-1300 bucks/month for a very fun lifestyle. Make that 2k/month and you can do whatever the hell you want. Literally.

OK, here'st a list I found on another site. List for the top 10 most expensive cities in Asia and further, below, for arond the world.

1.Tokyo (Japan) 304
2.Singapore (Singapore) 222
3.Hong Kong (Hong Kong) 216
4.Shanghai (China) 137
5.Seoul (South Korea) 124
6.Beijing (China) 116
7.Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) 116
8.Jakarta (Indonesia) 115
9.Bangkok (Thailand) 112
10.Manila (Philippines) 103

And worldwide list below:
http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/index

"To calculate each cities' Cost of Living Index value, we start by assigning a value of 100 to a central reference city (that happens to be Prague). Once the reference point has been stablished, the Price Index value of every other city in the database is calculated by comparing their cost of living to the cost of living in Prague. Therefore, if a city has a Price Index of 134, that means that living there is 34% more expensive than living in Prague."

So, how accurate/innacurate is that list?
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2012 12:03 AM by Vacancier Permanent.)
01-18-2012 11:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vacancier Permanent's post:
thoughtgypsy
T and A Man Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

RE: Cost of Living City By City Worldwide: A Practical Guide For the International Player
Can I ask is BKK singnificantly higher in costs than the rest of Thailand?

I got contacts in KL, and they go to Thailand because it is very cheap for them. They don't go to BKK.

Here an index is KL 116 vs BKK of 112 shows close to parity. That said, They may classify KL as KLCC and immediate surrounds, my area was Petaling jaya.
01-18-2012 11:44 PM
International Playboy
Gold Member

RE: Cost of Living City By City Worldwide: A Practical Guide For the International Player
Yeah BKK is higher than the rest of Thailand save Phuket which is a very touristy town, where most things are almost priced at European rates since it's full of them and Ruskies.

I can't comment on KL as I have not been there yet but it's high on my list for when I return to Asia. Which city are you familiar with?
01-18-2012 11:48 PM
T and A Man Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

In SE Asia, KL, Melacca, Seremban and Singapore.
01-18-2012 11:58 PM
International Playboy
Gold Member

Awesome man, then post about the current prices that you paid for things of interest and basic necessity.
01-18-2012 11:59 PM
WanderingSoul Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

(01-18-2012 11:44 PM)T and A Man Wrote:  Can I ask is BKK singnificantly higher in costs than the rest of Thailand?

It really depends on WHERE in Bangkok. In a city of 12 million people, prices will vary greatly. For example, you can get a decent studio off of On Nutt BTS stop for less than $200. Same thing closer to Nana BTS will cost much more. However, On Nutt to Nana is only a handful of stops on the BTS and On Nutt seems like a decent place to live. My friend has a studio off of Ari for 8,000 baht and is walking distance to the BTS as well as lots of places to eat.

Also, you can get cheap and killer Thai food for 30 baht, about a dollar, all over. I would usually knock two of these out for a meal. The $3-6 per meal that VP quoted would be for a sit down Thai restaurant. If you are in the Sukhumvit area there are TONS of street stalls to get food from that are great and will run 30 baht a pop.

To save money on alcohol buy bottles at the club as opposed to individual drinks. Much cheaper. I can't remember the exact price, but I believe it was 900baht for a bottle of Johnny Walker with mixers in the BKK clubs I went to.
01-18-2012 11:59 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes WanderingSoul's post:
Beyond Borders
International Playboy
Gold Member

Yeah good call on buying bottles at the club. And in most Thai places, if you don't finish it, they'll keep it for you for next time you get there. Regarding On Nut, yes, it's only a few stops off Asok/Nana on the BTS, but at night, when the BTS stops at midnight, it's a bitch getting to and from there back. Even around Thong Lo/Plen Chit which are PRIMO locations in the heart of downtown/Sukhumvit BKK, if you sign a 6 months contract, you can have a nice apart for 300-400/month.

Btw, forgot to mention: hit MBK mall as a must for all kinds of knock offs. I got my Iphone4 unlocked there for 800B (25 bucks) while in the local chinese stores in Toronto were asking for 80 bucks!
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2012 12:08 AM by Vacancier Permanent.)
01-19-2012 12:07 AM
Tony Snow25 Offline
Recovering Beta

Taipei, Taiwan

US $1= 30 $NT

After reading VP’s summary on Bangkok, it seems that the cost of living in Bangkok and Taipei are similar. You can have fun here and get by on probably US$2,000 a month but if money isn’t an issue you could ball out with around US$3-4 thousand a month.
I haven’t stayed in any hotels or hostels here so I don’t know the prices but it should be fairly easy to find online. Going out to clubs is cheaper than in the U.S. and especially if you go to all you can drink places. Food is very cheap and even if you go to decent restaurants it is still cheap.

Nightlife

Luxy
-entrance fee is $NT600= $US20 but it you get two free drinks with it. When you are in Heinekens are $NT 200= $US 6. So it isn’t really cheaper than the States if you go to the better clubs. But I think it is worth it because there is a lot more talent than the average club in America.

Babe 18
- this place is a cheap option and it’s pretty nice inside and a lot of cute young girls. You pay an entrance fee of NT$ 550=US$ 18 and its all you can drink. Also they serve Heineken and have decent hard alcohol like Svedka.

If you go to clubs like Room 18, Spark, Luxy, Primo they are all around the same price. If you go to Babe 18 or Club Wax it is a cheap all you can drink place.
01-19-2012 01:11 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tony Snow25's post:
Beyond Borders
Deluge Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

I use: http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living

A typical formula for working out if you afford to live somewhere is to multiply the monthly rent of your accommodation by 50, and that would be your recommended yearly income to support that lifestyle. It works out to housing being 25% of your budget. Keep in mind that expatistan's housing criteria is: "monthly rent for a 85 m2 (900 Sqft) furnished apartment in expensive area of the city". In my city, the price listed under that criteria was 25% higher than the average city centre 1 bedroom here.
01-19-2012 03:40 AM
WestIndianArchie Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Awesome post VP.

I'd love to see a spread sheet
01-19-2012 10:29 AM
sine wave killer Offline
Recovering Beta

VP, is it feasible getting around Bangkok solely using the subway system?
01-19-2012 10:39 AM
International Playboy
Gold Member

SWK,
Yes it would be feasible but keep in mind that in BKK, you have the MRT or underground subway and the BTS or Sky Train, elevated trani. Both of which stop at midnight. During the day, avoid cabs as the traffic is crazy and it can take forever to go to places. Best thing to do is BTS/MRT during the day/night until midnight and cabs after. Metered cabs that is. Just avoid the tuk tuks which are notorious rip off artists. Do it once just for the novelty and fun factor, but as a means of daily transportation, BTS/MRT during the day/rush hour and at night cabs is the way to go.
01-19-2012 11:22 AM
International Playboy
Gold Member

Roosh, Mixx, G, Luckystar, HHarry, ElMech, AliB and all the other guys out there who have spent extensive time in various places around the world in the last few months, would love to see a list on cost of living for basic stuff and other things of interest to us on these places.
01-19-2012 11:20 PM
Luckystar Offline
True Player

(01-19-2012 11:20 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  Roosh, Mixx, G, Luckystar, HHarry, ElMech, AliB and all the other guys out there who have spent extensive time in various places around the world in the last few months, would love to see a list on cost of living for basic stuff and other things of interest to us on these places.

VP, impressive knowledge drop...as always.

I'll do my best to put something together based on memory...unfortunately I am back in Boretown as you call it.
01-20-2012 12:29 AM
Deluge Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ Just like expatistan. Select a city and checkout the prices

Everything you need to know about Bangkok prices from the cost of a litre of milk to rent to a taxi to a beer: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/cit...ty=Bangkok
01-20-2012 01:29 AM
rampage Offline
Banned

LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA

Currency : Euro

Hostels : the cheapest ones : 20 € per night

Hotels : the cheapest ones : 60 € per night

Studios : prices start at 350 € per month (electricity, heating etc. is not included )

Meal at nice restaurant : 10 € , drinks 2 €

Combo at McDonalds : 5 €

Fast food : Hotdog 2 € , Hamburger 3 € , Doner Kebap 3-4 € , Slice of Pizza 2 €

Taxi ( the cheapest ) : 90 cents to start and then 80 cents for each kilometer (the cheapest taxi companies are "Metro" and "Laguna" )

City Bus ticket : 1,2 €

Club entrances : 5 - 15 € (at some places there is no entrance fee)

Drinks in bars/clubs : Beer 3-4 € , Shots 4-5 €

Stripclubs : Alcoholic drinks 5 € , Lady drinks 20 € , Table dance 30-40 €

P4P : Freelancers 50 - 70 € (30 min) , in "Nightclubs" 80 - 120 €
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2012 05:28 AM by rampage.)
01-20-2012 05:27 AM
Brazilianguy Offline
Chubby Chaser

One question: do you find many phillipinas with big butts in Cebu?
01-20-2012 10:13 AM
International Playboy
Gold Member

Rampage,
awesome data man!
Bguy,
you can find some, but nothing like the popouzudas you're used to in Brasil. LOL
01-20-2012 10:36 AM
Tail Gunner Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(01-20-2012 05:27 AM)rampage Wrote:  LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA

Currency : Euro

Hostels : the cheapest ones : 20 € per night

Hotels : the cheapest ones : 60 € per night

Studios : prices start at 350 € per month (electricity, heating etc. is not included )

I want to make an observation based on Rampage's post. You can see that a cheap hotel costs 1800 Euros per month while a cheap studio apartment costs 350 Euros per month. By renting an apartment, you get a great deal more for a great deal less. In addition, if you wish, you can save a great deal of money by preparing your meals in an apartment.

People from North America often overlook the option of a self-catered apartment (i.e., paying monthly rates for a stay of a month or more) because it is not common there. But it is very common in Europe and other parts of the world.

Just to provide another example, I contacted someone who lives in the Canary Islands a few months ago regarding living costs there. He complained that it had a high cost of living, similar to San Francisco, because so many items need to be transported to the islands. When I pressed him and explained that I wished to live as a local (and not a tourist) he admitted that a decent apartment in Puerto Rosario, Fuerteventura is now down to about 300 euros a month. He stated that locals cannot sell their properties (because of the recession) so they need to rent them out, which is driving down rents. [I am not sure whether this also applies to the two most populated islands.]

So, think outside the box. Under the right conditions, you can spend a month in a location for the same cost that some other chump is paying for a week.
01-20-2012 06:08 PM
rudebwoy Away
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

I would post one on Toronto, but I think no one really cares. lol

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com
01-20-2012 08:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes rudebwoy's post:
Brosemite
Deluge Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

(01-20-2012 08:07 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  I would post one on Toronto, but I think no one really cares. lol

Yup, screw Toronto. torontokid has been telling me almost every day for months now how much and why Toronto sucks. With the weather it's probably worse than D.C

Anyway, I'm trying to get the point across that all the info is already on the internet.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 04:55 AM by Deluge.)
01-21-2012 04:55 AM
rudebwoy Away
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(01-21-2012 04:55 AM)P Dog Wrote:  
(01-20-2012 08:07 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  I would post one on Toronto, but I think no one really cares. lol

Yup, screw Toronto. torontokid has been telling me almost every day for months now how much and why Toronto sucks. With the weather it's probably worse than D.C

Anyway, I'm trying to get the point across that all the info is already on the internet.

LOL

The sad thing is Toronto (suburbia) has some nice women, trouble is the city is so PC you cannot tell them they aren't all that.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com
01-21-2012 03:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spike Offline
True Player
Gold Member

@Vacancier Permanent

Last time i was in Cebu (januari 2011) a big mac meal was 156 pesos. Its 200 pesos now ? thats some inflation. Í went to Club Pump a lot in Cebu.
How many of those 18 year olds did you smash ?

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 06:14 PM by Spike.)
01-21-2012 06:11 PM
Prince X Offline
Game Denialist

RE: Cost of Living City By City Worldwide:
(01-20-2012 10:36 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  Rampage,
awesome data man!
Bguy,
you can find some, but nothing like the popouzudas you're used to in Brasil. LOL

Hey man, coud ya do a quick cost of living for Brazil in general on a monthly basis?
03-13-2013 07:42 PM
Lemmo Offline
Banned

RE: Cost of Living City By City Worldwide
(01-18-2012 11:35 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  The Greatest And Sickest City on Earth, Tokyo.
Current exchange rate: 1$ = 76.74 Yen.

Here's a tip/heads up for guys going to Tokyo for the first time: apparently you can only withdraw cash from the ATMs located inside the 7/11's. That's what I ended up doing everytime I need cash. Can any Tokyo pro confirm that you can only withdraw cash from the atms inside the 7/11s?

From what I remember off the top of my head from the time I spent there at the end of Feb 2011:

- Train from Narita to Ikebukuro station: 2000 yen ( I think) or 26 bucks.
- cab from Narita airport to Tokyo from 20000 to 30000+ (260 to 390$+) as it's quite far from Tokyo. So be aware of that if you cab it. I wonder how much is it with the Shinkansen...anyone knows from first hand experience?
- Unlimited* daily metro pass (*only on certain lines) 800 yen or 10.4$.
- Getting stuffed at a sush bar with the freshest, tastiest sushi in the entire world: 1000 to 1200 yen (13-15 bucks).
- meal at decent japanese restaurant including drinks: 2500-3000 yen (32-39$).
- Tickets to go up the Tokyo Tower: 800-1000 yen (10-15$). Well worth it as the views are spectacular!
- bus from Hilton Tokyo in Shinjuku to Narita Airport: 3000Y/person (39$).

Don't know about club entrances as I was there only for a week and the jet lag was brutal, I would wake up at 5 or 6am and by 8-9pm, would simply pass out. But from talking with guys, clubs are in the 3000-4000 or even 5000 yen (39-42-56$). Yeah, this is Tokyo and it shows. Go there with pocket fulls of hard currency, this isn't a place for low budget travelling.
- Nice pair of dress pants from a department store in Shinjuku (don't remember the name of the store) 30000 yen = 390$.
- Indian buffet in Shinjuku: 1000 yen = 13 bucks which is uber cheap for Tokyo. I couldn't believe the price when I saw it! Unfortunately, don't remember the name anymore...Sad
- Staying at Kimi Ryoken in Ikebukuro about 80 bucks/night. Wanted to try typical J style accommodations for the first 2 nights before moving to a more comfortable (western) hotel, the Hilton in Shinjuku...
- Staying at the Hilton in Shinjuku, right by the Metropolitan Government area: 32,000Y/night (416$/night) but my buddy being a staff at Air Canada got us a killer and unbeatable deal for 100 bucks per person per night. That for Tokyo and even more so a hotel of the calibre of the Hilton in Shinjuku is absolutely unreal and unheard of. Location, location, location, remember and Shinkjuku is where it's at.

I only spent 1 week in Tokyo and I was blown like no other place I've been. My dream is to spend a few months to a year or two there. Not all that time in Tokyo but also in cities like Osaka, Nagoya etc...I figure that for Tokyo, 5-6k/month would be the minimum budget to have a decent lifestyle, while that figure would allow a better lifestyle in the other citied cities. Can those who have spent long time in Japan chip on this?

Yen is now down to 96/$ - still expensive by historical standards but not as eye wateringly painful as it was last year.

The ATMs at the Post Office and Citibank also accept foreign cards. I think you can get by on $4K/month in Tokyo. A lot of your budget depends on what type of housing you want (if just a shoebox apartment, you'll pay $700-800/month).
03-13-2013 07:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Norway - Free/Low Cost Education/University Thread Black Quixote 20 8,805 Today 01:31 AM
Last Post: crystalcastle
  Best city to live in Florida??? TheCaptainPower 134 80,068 08-15-2019 10:25 AM
Last Post: aeroektar
  Lima, Peru - City of Kings - Datasheet Late 2015 Designate 74 35,441 08-12-2019 03:30 PM
Last Post: CaptainChardonnay