“And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words…shake off the dust from your feet.”

DRIIIVER

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
As I have been led to the Orthodox Church and Faith I have experienced a lot of push back from other Christians, vehemently warning me and concern posting that I am somehow being misled and going down the wrong path. Their solution of course is the teachings of the reformers, Sola Scriptura, and urging me not to submit to the authority of Christ and His Church, going so far as to say the Orthodox Church is not the Church of Christ nor His Apostles and all the Saints, canonized or not.

Over the past 18 months I have been chewed up and spit out by false teachings and heresies. It has been a crash course on the importance of guarding our hearts, minds, and souls as well as cherishing the faith of Christ we have been so lovingly given, protecting it from the onslaught of Satan and the delusions of “scholastic and academic” interpretations of Holy Scripture.

All that being said I believe the Holy Spirit has led me to the Orthodox Tradition, I want to fully submit to the authority of Christ, and by extension, His Church, and cast off all the false teachings and delusions I fell for apart from the guidance of the Church. All the Christians in a telegram group I’m in, and have known for a while, were pushing Calvinism (predestination), and the teachings of Luther. Calvinism was one of the false teachings I got burnt by and thankfully was refuted by many Orthodox Church Fathers as a gross misinterpretation of certain Scriptures, not to mention the Church has already clarified the correct teaching on this matter for centuries past.

Their prideful and haughty pushback at my attempt to steer them away from this false teaching using Orthodox Church wisdom has affected my confidence and robbed some of the overwhelming peace I have found in my soul with Orthodoxy (Lord have mercy), and so my question is, at what point should I bow out and obey Matthew 10:14, when our Lord states to keep our peace in what we have been taught (retain it) and “leave the house or city” (TG Group) that does not receive Orthodoxy and “dust off your feet”.

Any guidance on this matter is much appreciated. It has been said before that the vitriol experienced on these satanic devices and the internet as a whole manifest as demons inside your head, constantly repeating over and over what others say to you as whispers of doubt and destroyers of peace. Knowing and experiencing this even now I am leaning towards dusting off my feet…

Last edited:

JustinHS

Sparrow
Orthodox
Their prideful and haughty pushback at my attempt to steer them away from this false teaching using Orthodox Church wisdom...
See it from their side: Who is being prideful and haughty?

I understand your position, but I’ve come to see that acquiring the Orthodox mind is much more of a priority. I was where you are several years ago, and you will come to see that you’ll be busy enough steering yourself away from sins and repenting. I think it was St Seraphim who said something like “See to your own sins and you’ll see thousands around you be converted.”

DRIIIVER

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
especially since you are new to it and your knowledge not extensive enough to both convince them; hard to do even for a priest; and avoid raising doubts in your own mind that could lead you back into heresy.
I can feel those doubts creeping in, but those thoughts are not my own. I decided to leave the group after seeking counsel from my Priest. It is no good for my soul or mind.
See it from their side: Who is being prideful and haughty?
I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying?

Lawrence87

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Leave them be, and pray for all those blinded by pernicious heresies.

If God is calling you to be a voice to protestants or whoever, He will bring them to you, you don't have to go seeking them. Your prayers for them will be more useful than internet arguments.

DRIIIVER

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
They could be thinking the same about you. Since you’re still inquiring, I’d focus on the inquiry and not on changing others minds.
Oh absolutely, but I wasn’t telling them they’re wrong point blank, I simply pointed out that I learned from first hand experience and offered rebuttals from the Orthodox Church. Perhaps I didn’t word it well and it could have come off that way, such misperceptions happen all the time on these devices. They are mediums that can be manipulated after all.

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
Getting out of that environment was the right call. I was fortunate not to run into this sort of thing with my own conversion to Orthodoxy. Mostly because the majority of my prior Christian friends are very ecumenist evangelicals who I'd be more likely to clash with over social issues like BLM or the Coofid narrative than theology (and in the case of my family, I went very in-depth into the intellectual and spiritual reasons for my conversion, and they didn't have much of a response to it.) In my experience, this type doesn't really care if you become Catholic or Anglican or whatever as long as you're still Trinitarian.

But yeah, the hardcore Reformed types do not take this sort of thing well. Anything implying that their meticulously-constructed intellectual edifice of Calvinist belief isn't the ultimate form of Christianity is taken as a dire threat, and understandably so. Especially when you're an inquirer, you should be kind, turn the other cheek, and avoid engaging in any of their attempts to bait you.

DRIIIVER

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Especially when you're an inquirer, you should be kind, turn the other cheek, and avoid engaging in any of their attempts to bait you.
Yes I agree. I’ve been doing my best to isolate myself from teachings that I know are false and not allowing the opinions of those who follow them to affect me, but after offering what I thought was a simple warning turned into a three hour “intervention” I see now that there is no fruit in it.

But how do we balance sharing the truth which we have experienced (from our dogma to kerygma) in an effort to save brothers we love from false teachings and simply not engaging at all or when things become toxic, seeing ourselves out?

Lawrence87

Woodpecker
Orthodox
But how do we balance sharing the truth which we have experienced (from our dogma to kerygma) in an effort to save brothers we love from false teachings and simply not engaging at all or when things become toxic, seeing ourselves out?

I think leading by example is a powerful thing, by just letting Christ transform you by being in the Orthodox church, that is an extremely powerful argument. More powerful than words. Prayer for them of course is important too.

I think debate rarely achieves anything in these matters. People often will react negatively to being told their beliefs are false. When you see people like Jay Dyer debating, you never see his opponent declaring that they changed their mind and are wrong, but he isn't doing it for them, he is doing it for people watching who might be swayed. The kinds of people ready and equipped to debate are not going to be the kinds of people who will have their minds changed by a debate.

DRIIIVER

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
I think leading by example is a powerful thing, by just letting Christ transform you by being in the Orthodox church, that is an extremely powerful argument. More powerful than words.
This is self evident and effectual IRL. I wholeheartedly agree that this is the way. Perhaps that should be the focus and while on the internet we should not expect to change any minds, we should simply establish ourselves in the Truth and associate more with those who want to build us up in the faith.

Lawrence87

Woodpecker
Orthodox
This is self evident and effectual IRL. I wholeheartedly agree that this is the way. Perhaps that should be the focus and while on the internet we should not expect to change any minds, we should simply establish ourselves in the Truth and associate more with those who want to build us up in the faith.
Speaking from the position of being an Orthodox Christian is a powerful thing even if you're not debating, it is just robust. Doing so even without overtly engaging in debate is bound to have an effect on people