“If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife”

Rob Banks

Pelican
However, the Virgin Mary would not be considered ugly even by today's standards. When I think of an ugly woman, I think of one that is obese with short hair and possibly a lot of tattoos and body/facial hair. The Virgin Mary was thin and feminine looking (which used to be the norm in many countries but now seems to be the exception). She probably had a diet low in sugar, likely didn't party at nightclubs and drink heavily, and she dressed in a simple but still feminine way. All of these things help make women more attractive without being vain. The song says 'find an ugly girl to marry you' which is different from saying 'find a PLAIN and simple but attractive/cute girl to marry you.'

I agree with what you say about true beauty. However, personally I could not be attracted to a woman that is obese with facial hair (even with no tattoos and long hair) even if she has an angelic personality. Facial hair (even just sideburns) looks too masculine and obesity reflects her being lazy and sloppy and having lack of self-respect.

I dislike makeup as well. Women are more attractive by maintaining natural beauty.
I agree.

However, in actual fact an "obese ugly woman with an angelic personality" does not tend to exist.

With the exception of people who are deformed or have skin diseases, people's bodies and faces tend to match up with their personalities.

A woman who is obese is likely to be gluttenous and slothful.

Of couese the Virgin Mary would not be considered ugly. Neither would any other woman who lives a virtuous life. All women are made in the image of God and therefore naturally beautiful (provided they do not uglify themselves through sin).

Now, would today's rich and famous men go for a woman with a "plain" and modest look like the Virgin Mary? No, they tend not to. They tend to go for women with the sexy supermodel look. No truly virtuous woman would present herself like that.

The song resonates with people because they obviously think of a "pretty woman" as the supermodel or the high school prom queen, who tend to be arrogant and easily led astray through pride and vanity.

I did read a study that men that have an attractive wive are more happy.
Actually, the most attractive women in the world seem like they would be high-risk wives. I have to agree with the idea that a wife that rates 7-8 on the looks scale seems best. Look at Maxim's top 100 list as an example. The women on this list must be considered 10 by the experts because to be in the top 100 in the world is a huge honor. Some of these women were not married at the time but judging by this list, very attractive women would not make good wives. I just checked to be sure and the top 5 on this list are feminists and several openly support abortion and homosexual rights. I didn't bother going through the whole list. Maybe most of the other 95 would make good wives and I am wrong.

Note: (this is from 2013 which is the last year I read it). I remember laughing when I read this issue at the idea of Miley being the hottest girl in the world. I also wondered why so many on this list are celebrities. Why aren't any supermarket cashiers or dental assistants or waitresses chosen? I am not the expert though.

Of course, ugly women would also make bad wives. I often see couples in the 50's where the guy aged fairly well and the woman is very fat and I feel pity for the man. I don't know them personally, maybe the wife has an amazing personality and obviously she must be a great cook judging by her weight. However. I wonder if her looks bother him or does her winning personality make her look beautiful in his mind. I know this must seem shallow. I think the couple should care enough about each other to at least maintain a decent appearance and not just give up and look like fat homeless people. I dislike vanity (most things in excess are not healthy), but maintaining a decent appearance doesn't take a lot of effort by men or women.

Actually, the most attractive women in the world seem like they would be high-risk wives. I have to agree with the idea that a wife that rates 7-8 on the looks scale seems best. Look at Maxim's top 100 list as an example. The women on this list must be considered 10 by the experts because to be in the top 100 in the world is a huge honor. Some of these women were not married at the time but judging by this list, very attractive women would not make good wives. I just checked to be sure and the top 5 on this list are feminists and several openly support abortion and homosexual rights. I didn't bother going through the whole list. Maybe most of the other 95 would make good wives and I am wrong.

Note: (this is from 2013 which is the last year I read it). I remember laughing when I read this issue at the idea of Miley being the hottest girl in the world. I also wondered why so many on this list are celebrities. Why aren't any supermarket cashiers or dental assistants or waitresses chosen? I am not the expert though.

Of course, ugly women would also make bad wives. I often see couples in the 50's where the guy aged fairly well and the woman is very fat and I feel pity for the man. I don't know them personally, maybe the wife has an amazing personality and obviously she must be a great cook judging by her weight. However. I wonder if her looks bother him or does her winning personality make her look beautiful in his mind. I know this must seem shallow. I think the couple should care enough about each other to at least maintain a decent appearance and not just give up and look like fat homeless people. I dislike vanity (most things in excess are not healthy), but maintaining a decent appearance doesn't take a lot of effort by men or women.

The women promoted to the top of the list sold their souls long ago. Its no surprise.