1 Year Drinking Wagon Challenge for 2014

NoMoreTO

Pelican
SeaFM said:
….

I would also drink out of habit, and out of boredom. This is where things turned for me in retrospect. Getting wasted for nothing, and frequently.

….
6 Months without a drink, Will finish my Challenge in March 2020.

^^ The above comment hit home for me. It just turned into a way to feel like I was doing something. Drinking takes energy, and it sets you up to pour yourself another one the next night.

I would like to drink again, but the buzz has to be for a reason (social event, nice dinner, not a few drinks to finish up my wednesday) and the energy it takes from me the next day will have to be a reasonable balance.

The one thing about the drinking challenge is you really do get used to not drinking. I think this will be the best learning. I went to a wedding last weekend, took my girlfriend and didn't have a drink. I couldn't have imagined this back in the day. So often I still want a drink or two early on, later on in the night I'm feeling fine about not drinking, then the next morning very happy I wasn't drinking.

SeaFM

Kingfisher
I am maintaining the position that I may drink again one day. I definitely want to make it to one full year though, for whatever reason.

I’ve been out a handful of times in the past year where I just ordered a club soda with lime. Nobody I was with noticed or cared if they did.

Truthfully I don’t miss drinking at all. I wasn’t enjoying it much by the end. Like I said, it was habitual, and with health concerns it just makes sense to cut it out completely.

I think allowing for the possibility in the future is a mental trick I’m playing on myself. Saying “never again” seems to make it tougher for some reason.

Charlemagne In Sweatpants

Robin
Gold Member
Four years sober for me today. It was a really nice stretch of time. Wifey and I are expecting our first child (a baby boy) in early February. Obviously we are super excited/slightly terrified about this, and I'm looking forward to addressing some of my own insecurities and hang-ups about being a dad. The bottom line is that I wouldn't be able to do any of it as a barely functioning booze-bag.

Even though I'm a few years into this thing, I still have mornings where I have to gently remind myself that I can't have a drink today. There are times when I have to actively catch myself while I'm lost in some fantasy about a non-existent period in my life where I was drinking moderately, perfectly calibrating my inebriation and loving every minute of it. I'll shake it off, and try to divert that mental energy towards something else -- mainly, the small moments of sober appreciation that come up so often in this thread. I think this is how the wagon is gonna be for me for awhile, especially as these moments (hopefully) become more amplified while raising a son.

I'd like to wish a special congrats to komatiite on his four years. Keep it going, my man. Sign me up for year five.

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
Charlemagne In Sweatpants said:
Four years sober for me today. It was a really nice stretch of time. Wifey and I are expecting our first child (a baby boy) in early February. Obviously we are super excited/slightly terrified about this, and I'm looking forward to addressing some of my own insecurities and hang-ups about being a dad. The bottom line is that I wouldn't be able to do any of it as a barely functioning booze-bag.

Even though I'm a few years into this thing, I still have mornings where I have to gently remind myself that I can't have a drink today. There are times when I have to actively catch myself while I'm lost in some fantasy about a non-existent period in my life where I was drinking moderately, perfectly calibrating my inebriation and loving every minute of it. I'll shake it off, and try to divert that mental energy towards something else -- mainly, the small moments of sober appreciation that come up so often in this thread. I think this is how the wagon is gonna be for me for awhile, especially as these moments (hopefully) become more amplified while raising a son.

I'd like to wish a special congrats to komatiite on his four years. Keep it going, my man. Sign me up for year five.
3extra said:
Four years off the booze as of today.

Signing on for year five.
There is nothing like the glory of three year 4 completions / year 5 re-ups (CIS, 3extra, and komatiite earlier) as we inch closer to rounding off the 100th page of the great wagon thread. To think of the lives of men in all different parts of the world, proceeding as if bound together by this one thread and changed immeasurably for the better in the deepest way which is yet so simple and tangible -- that is an idea and reality that is almost too much to comprehend, and certainly too much to dwell on; one nods to it in solemn gratitude, and turns away.

CIS, congrats on completing year 4 and welcome back aboard for year 5 as of September 23, 2019. I look forward to hearing more from you here as time goes on.

3extra, congrats on completing year 4 and welcome back aboard for year 5 as of September 28, 2019. I hope to hear more from you in this thread over time.

scotian

Crow
Gold Member
Today marks my one year date of the drinking wagon, I’m not going to sign on for another but for now, I don’t plan on drinking anytime soon. Thanks for the support and encouragement guys.

Seadog

Woodpecker
Congrats Scotian! I'm on the other side now. I'm having my last drinks. Then tomorrow on Oct 3 I'm in for another year. Didn't reup 18 months ago, but better late than never. No need to explain why, as those who know, know.

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
scotian said:
Today marks my one year date of the drinking wagon, I’m not going to sign on for another but for now, I don’t plan on drinking anytime soon. Thanks for the support and encouragement guys.
scotian, congrats on finishing the 1 year wagon. That's a real accomplishment; I always knew you could do it, of course -- as can anyone, since no one is forcing a drink down your throat -- but I wasn't sure you would, especially through your travels in warmer climes. That you did it shows both that you realized how necessary it was, and that you have what it takes to keep going. +1 rep point for me -- which could have been given at any time, but it pleases me most to give it now and for this reason.

I sympathize with anyone who, after finishing his first wagon year, hesitates before committing to an extension -- even when he knows that it's the right thing to do. The taste of what seems like a moment of freedom -- after what had seemed like a century of confinement -- is very sweet; and one can always tell oneself that since drinks are in any case not on the immediate menu, what's the harm in walking for a few days, or weeks, or months, in the shoes of a man who can just walk into a bar, kick back, and order a vodka martini straight up with a twist without a care in the world? But my deepest sympathies, in the end, are with doing what is right; and I think -- feel certain, even -- that you will come around to the same view sooner or later, and maybe sooner than you expect.

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
Seadog said:
Congrats Scotian! I'm on the other side now. I'm having my last drinks. Then tomorrow on Oct 3 I'm in for another year. Didn't reup 18 months ago, but better late than never. No need to explain why, as those who know, know.
Seadog, thanks for the post. I would never hold a man to anything he declares while drinking, but if that is still your decision please confirm the October 3 start date and I will be delighted to welcome you back on board.

slowpoke

Sparrow
For any guys in the UK who are concerned about the effect drinking has had on their health, the British Liver Trust is doing a roadshow starting tomorrow.

There are 6 locations planned in Wales from 10/10 to 16/10 and then 4 more in southern England from 17/10 to 22/10.

https://britishlivertrust.org.uk/information-and-support/liver-health-2/love-your-liver/events/

If you turn up on the day they'll offer you a free 'FibroScan' which gives you a score to determine the level of fibrosis in your liver. I did it last year and am planning on going to one of the upcoming days this time around.

The FibroScan test costs about £300 if you pay to get it done privately so it's definitely worth the trip if you've drank a lot over the years.

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
77market said:
In for year #2, starting at midnight. I'm throwing drugs (pot, speed) on the wagon this time too. I owe it to myself and my family. Thanks!
77market, congrats on the 1 year, I'm delighted to hear that you made it through. I will never forget the emotional intensity of your posts from when you first started the wagon -- it was the kind of raw intensity that is not encountered very often. You made the right and necessary decision then, and are making an even better one now by staying on for another year. +1 rep point from me.

Getting rid of other drugs alongside the wagon is an excellent idea. The wagon is best done this way -- what you gain will be deeper and most lasting. The unsettled mind and brain must be chastened over a lengthy period of time before they are becalmed.

Welcome back aboard for year 2 as of October 15, 2019 and I look forward to hearing more from you here as time goes on.

TigOlBitties

Kingfisher
I haven't posted in here for a while, but recently passed the one year mark. I wasn't even paying attention then noticed the day coming up. I thought, "Damn it's already been a year." I had made it a year once before, but massively screwed up when I drank again. I think messing up that bad was necessary though, and because of that, this time is different. Not drinking is amazing, and I don't even think about it that much to be honest. The thought of being drunk sounds awful.

You can still hang out with people. You can still go to bars or be around booze. And when someone tries to get you to drink, confidently tell them no. It doesn't even have to be weird.

Waking up is my favorite part of the day. A man with a booze free mind can accomplish great things. Please sign me up for year two as of September 27, 2019.

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
TigOlBitties said:
I haven't posted in here for a while, but recently passed the one year mark. I wasn't even paying attention then noticed the day coming up. I thought, "Damn it's already been a year." I had made it a year once before, but massively screwed up when I drank again. I think messing up that bad was necessary though, and because of that, this time is different. Not drinking is amazing, and I don't even think about it that much to be honest. The thought of being drunk sounds awful.

You can still hang out with people. You can still go to bars or be around booze. And when someone tries to get you to drink, confidently tell them no. It doesn't even have to be weird.

Waking up is my favorite part of the day. A man with a booze free mind can accomplish great things. Please sign me up for year two as of September 27, 2019.
That's great news, TOB. Just to confirm: not one drop of alcohol, at any time and for any reason, from September 27, 2018 through September 27, 2019 (and counting). Correct?

TigOlBitties

Kingfisher
The Lizard of Oz said:
TigOlBitties said:

That's great news, TOB. Just to confirm: not one drop of alcohol, at any time and for any reason, from September 27, 2018 through September 27, 2019 (and counting). Correct?
Yup, no booze!

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
TigOlBitties said:
The Lizard of Oz said:
TigOlBitties said:

Yup, no booze!
Thank you for confirming. Not that I had any doubt, but it's good to be reminded occasionally of the literal definition of the 1 year wagon: not a single drop, at any time and for any reason, 24/7/365.

Congrats on completing the year, and welcome back aboard for year 2 as of September 27, 2019. I look forward to hearing more from you here as time goes on.

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
rdvirus said:
Cruising into year 3 as of October 15 2019..
Great to hear that, rdvirus. Congratulations for completing that all-important deuce, and going strong into the consolidating and deepening trey.

Welcome back aboard for year 3 as of October 15, 2019 and I hope to hear more from you here over time.