1 Year Drinking Wagon Challenge for 2014

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
niledelta said:
Did a 14-month stint up until about a year and a half ago (my username has changed since then. Original post was #2000 – https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-30625-post-1678288.html#pid1678288 ). I'm getting back on the wagon. I keep telling myself I don't have a drinking problem, but what is seen as normal drinking today is dysfunctional, at least as I am coming to see things. On Sunday I experienced a reminder of the wickedness of the allure of alcohol, and I have decided to protect myself and build a wall. My life's ambition is to start a family, and I don't believe I can maintain a relationship with alcohol, along with managing a family, in spite of the lies I repeatedly tell myself.

Have met too many good men who have given up drinking to think that I should know better. Drinking is something that encourages me to dissociate from whatever feelings I have, happy, sad, anxious or otherwise. It retards me, weighs me down, puts the brakes on my spirit. I need to unshackle myself. I originally planned to just give it up for Lent 2020 but I will now commit to a year.
niledelta, thank you for the post. Is February 25, 2020 your start date?
 

niledelta

Robin
Gold Member
The Lizard of Oz said:
niledelta said:
Did a 14-month stint up until about a year and a half ago (my username has changed since then. Original post was #2000 – https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-30625-post-1678288.html#pid1678288 ). I'm getting back on the wagon. I keep telling myself I don't have a drinking problem, but what is seen as normal drinking today is dysfunctional, at least as I am coming to see things. On Sunday I experienced a reminder of the wickedness of the allure of alcohol, and I have decided to protect myself and build a wall. My life's ambition is to start a family, and I don't believe I can maintain a relationship with alcohol, along with managing a family, in spite of the lies I repeatedly tell myself.

Have met too many good men who have given up drinking to think that I should know better. Drinking is something that encourages me to dissociate from whatever feelings I have, happy, sad, anxious or otherwise. It retards me, weighs me down, puts the brakes on my spirit. I need to unshackle myself. I originally planned to just give it up for Lent 2020 but I will now commit to a year.
niledelta, thank you for the post. Is February 25, 2020 your start date?
Yes Feb 24 (Monday), thank you
 

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
niledelta said:
The Lizard of Oz said:
niledelta said:
Did a 14-month stint up until about a year and a half ago (my username has changed since then. Original post was #2000 – https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-30625-post-1678288.html#pid1678288 ). I'm getting back on the wagon. I keep telling myself I don't have a drinking problem, but what is seen as normal drinking today is dysfunctional, at least as I am coming to see things. On Sunday I experienced a reminder of the wickedness of the allure of alcohol, and I have decided to protect myself and build a wall. My life's ambition is to start a family, and I don't believe I can maintain a relationship with alcohol, along with managing a family, in spite of the lies I repeatedly tell myself.

Have met too many good men who have given up drinking to think that I should know better. Drinking is something that encourages me to dissociate from whatever feelings I have, happy, sad, anxious or otherwise. It retards me, weighs me down, puts the brakes on my spirit. I need to unshackle myself. I originally planned to just give it up for Lent 2020 but I will now commit to a year.
niledelta, thank you for the post. Is February 25, 2020 your start date?
Yes Feb 24 (Monday), thank you
Thanks for confirming. Welcome aboard as of February 24, 2020 and I look forward to hearing more from you on this thread as time goes on.
 

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
big_green said:
I’m on for a year.

And, first post.
Thank you for the post, big_green. It always makes me happy to see someone make a first post in the wagon thread -- we've had quite a few of these over time. A small technical point, you started your wagon on February 29, a date that will not recur next year (or most other years, should that be relevant). To avoid any ambiguity, we will consider your official start date to be March 1.

Welcome aboard as of March 1, 2020 and I look forward to hearing more from you here as time goes on.
 

monsquid

Kingfisher
Went to a party last night. Host wanted guests to bring drinks. I didn't drink at all, nor did I have any desire to drink but I did bring a 6 pack as a courtesy. Some others were bringing 24 packs and bottles of wine etc. I felt guilty and hypocritical that I was bringing alcohol even though I don't drink myself but I guess I was afraid of getting judged for bringing non alcoholic drinks. I need to get over that and just bring a six pack or large bottle of seltzer water. I need to provide an option for others to not to drink without imposing on them.
 

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
Just a reminder to whom it may concern that, whatever else may go on in the world, the wagon rolls on. There is room enough to accommodate a personal compartment for each rider; and for those who might feel restless during a long solitary stretch of the journey, there is plenty of surprisingly companionable reading material interspersed throughout the pages of the great Wagon Thread. This may be as good a time as any to peruse it at one's leisure. :angel:
 

NoMoreTO

Pelican
I officially completed my 1 Year Drinking Wagon Challenge.

As of Today I can officially drink again. I don't have a real motivation at the moment, so I will give it some thought. Maybe a glass of wine with a nice steak or a beer on a hot summer night. I was at a little gathering Friday night with some drinkers and didn't really feel at all ancy.

Thanks to this thread for putting it out there for me. I had done dry Januarys' and had given up drinking for lent a couple times but this was truly the marathon.

Life has changed a fair bit. Coincidentally, I returned to the Church and sacraments (TLM), gave up slooots, bought a small farm, but mostly the biggest difference in not drinking is not having the urge or compulsion to drink out of boredom.
 

Charlemagne In Sweatpants

Robin
Gold Member
Just wanted to echo Lizard of Oz here, and encourage those whose wagon ride has gotten a little bumpier with all the global craziness going on right now. 5 years ago, this scenario would have been a remarkable excuse for me to disappear with a veritable warehouse of booze for 8 weeks. It would have been extremely tempting, especially with all the doomsaying and the sheer novelty of the times we are living in.

Do what you can to look at this as an opportunity. If you're stuck at home, try to keep a routine. Get up at a reasonable hour, work on your home cooking, reacquaint yourself with a bodyweight workout, dial yourself in and get some shit done, do not look at your 401k--it's a hellscape, but you already knew that. If you're starting to get restless, go for a walk or get into nature for a bit. If you are an AA type and your meetings are cancelled, reach out to your bros and make sure that they're hanging in there!
 
I have a question for you Lizard. Since many will probably have a good amount of solitude at home because of current events... are there any movies or especially books you would recommend? Not specifically dealing with drinking or the like, but maybe dealing with opening up to the world outside the self that you've talk about. Or even just about being your own man and going your own way.
 

NoMoreTO

Pelican
This pandemic is more reason not to drink. Once you start drinking the pandemic out, you aren't preparing, you aren't making the most of your days and you will be more likely to go into a state of fear and poor health / vulnerability to the virus.
 

monsquid

Kingfisher
NoMoreTO said:
This pandemic is more reason not to drink. Once you start drinking the pandemic out, you aren't preparing, you aren't making the most of your days and you will be more likely to go into a state of fear and poor health / vulnerability to the virus.
Well said. Alcohol has nearly instantaneous negative effects on your immune system.
 

bacon

Ostrich
Gold Member
harmonicpinch said:
I have a question for you Lizard. Since many will probably have a good amount of solitude at home because of current events... are there any movies or especially books you would recommend? Not specifically dealing with drinking or the like, but maybe dealing with opening up to the world outside the self that you've talk about. Or even just about being your own man and going your own way.
Classics that fit that description: Five Easy Pieces, Barry Lyndon and Scarecrow
 

monsquid

Kingfisher
bacon said:
harmonicpinch said:
I have a question for you Lizard. Since many will probably have a good amount of solitude at home because of current events... are there any movies or especially books you would recommend? Not specifically dealing with drinking or the like, but maybe dealing with opening up to the world outside the self that you've talk about. Or even just about being your own man and going your own way.
Classics that fit that description: Five Easy Pieces, Barry Lyndon and Scarecrow
Excellent recommendations by bacon. I would add the The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Really helps me understand anxiety and effective tactics to manage it. Part about allowing your thoughts and feelings to happen whilst acting as an "observer" really helps me.
 

PrimeTime32

Woodpecker
I just completed year three of my wagon challenge and I feel great and extremely focused. I'm definitely inspired by all the people making significant changes in their lives by giving up booze. I would like to sign up for year 4.
 

monsquid

Kingfisher
PrimeTime32 said:
I just completed year three of my wagon challenge and I feel great and extremely focused. I'm definitely inspired by all the people making significant changes in their lives by giving up booze. I would like to sign up for year 4.
Congrats PrimeTime32. Any tips for maintaining? Especially when everything is feeling good, I feel tempted to drink beer.
 
Top