1 Year Drinking Wagon Challenge for 2014

etwsake

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Been having drinking dreams again. You know the kind. You drink something, usually by accident...realize you've screwed up, and then just keep drinking, cause hey, the damage is done right?

Always feels good to wake up and realize it was only a dream, but it's still unpleasant that they've been occurring more regularly lately.

monsquid

Kingfisher
Been having drinking dreams again. You know the kind. You drink something, usually by accident...realize you've screwed up, and then just keep drinking, cause hey, the damage is done right?

Always feels good to wake up and realize it was only a dream, but it's still unpleasant that they've been occurring more regularly lately.
I would not read too much into the dreams. Acknowledge them and move on with the waking world. They are not symbolic and they don't portend anything.

Sleep scientists have long discovered that we dream pretty much every night, it's just that we remember few of them unless you wake up in the middle of a dream cycle (during studies they wake the subjects in the middle of dream cycle brainwaves). Sometimes your circadian rhythm is in a pattern where you naturally wake up at the end of a dream cycle therefore more likely to remember them.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
I am doing a dry January.

Did the 1 year wagon challenge before. It was a good thing and a good year of my life, and I started out with giving it up for lent.

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
My new wagon date is January 2 2021. This is a solemn declaration.
Thank you Horus. You know, some people would think that having tried and failed a few times before might mean that you're unlikely to ever succeed -- but the opposite is true. What it really means is that the idea of the wagon has taken deep root inside your mind and heart; that is why you keep coming back to it again and again, and it's why you are quite likely to succeed eventually -- and "eventually" could very well be this time, it only depends on you. Like I said before, just relax into it; always be letting go of any guilt and shame, let the days roll on and let time do the work that only it can do. The drinker never wants to give time and life any credit; he demands cash on the barrelhead, and keeps getting the same bad penny. Just remember to trust in life and time a little when that day comes, and you'll be all right.

Welcome aboard as of January 2, 2021 and I look forward to hearing more from you here as time goes on.

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
Well I completed my 1 year Wagon today.

Had a Guinness to see the effects. Tasted alright but I didn’t really enjoy the effects. No euphoria/energy like I remembered.

I truly have internalized the viewpoint that alcohol serves little to no purpose in my life.

I grew to enjoy the “straight” mindset, waking up every day ready to roll.
Congrats on the 1 year wagon, pinchharmonic. It's a real accomplishment and I hope you took at least a little time to appreciate it.

There is no reason to expect any strong effect from one drink; even if it caused something like euphoria that would be purely psychological. And the main purpose of the wagon is not to internalize a particular "viewpoint" about alcohol; it is, rather, simply to remove it from one's life -- for those men who have drunk hard enough for long enough that they are in need of removing it. I don't know if that applies to you, but if it does please consider renewing for another year. In either case, I'm sure you have indeed learned a good deal during this year -- again, congrats.

monsquid

Kingfisher
LoZ I am happy to see you posting again. I wish you a happy near year. Your thoughts in the thread have given me much solace and motivation. More than a few times I went back through your posts in the thread throughout the year. I completed my one year wagon in Dec and signed myself up for another. It was a quiet and personal celebration. I find that sharing my ride on the wagon with friends and acquaintances is not worth volunteering.

I have no longing for the social scene or hedonic acceleration of drink. My wallet is a little heavier and my heart without guilt. Sleep has improved greatly though I still find that anxiety and worrisome thoughts keep me up from time to time, but the biggest difference is that even if I am tired, I am not crippled by a hangover and associated guilt.

Looking forward to completing my second year.

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
LoZ I am happy to see you posting again. I wish you a happy near year. Your thoughts in the thread have given me much solace and motivation. More than a few times I went back through your posts in the thread throughout the year. I completed my one year wagon in Dec and signed myself up for another. It was a quiet and personal celebration. I find that sharing my ride on the wagon with friends and acquaintances is not worth volunteering.

I have no longing for the social scene or hedonic acceleration of drink. My wallet is a little heavier and my heart without guilt. Sleep has improved greatly though I still find that anxiety and worrisome thoughts keep me up from time to time, but the biggest difference is that even if I am tired, I am not crippled by a hangover and associated guilt.

Looking forward to completing my second year.
Thank you for this heartfelt post, monsquid. It means a lot to me that my posts here may have helped you in some way. Congrats on completing the 1 year wagon; all the gains made in that tender first year will only deepen and consolidate in the next one.

Welcome back aboard for year 2 as of December 14, 2020 and I hope to hear more from you in this thread over time.

Seadog

Kingfisher
Well Shit. Its been a while. I joined another wagon in Oct '19 and screwed it up. Got about half way through and was too ashamed to post about the screwup, and I'd like to blame this silly bug, but nah, truth is I chose to drink in March. It's been better than it was, but probably still not at 'social' levels. But, the thing is, in last two week, 2 friends have come to me looking for tips on how to lessen or quit drinking. This is whats motivated me to post again. The fact that people in my social circle have moved me from "the drunk guy at the party" to "the guy that doesn't drink". Another wagon incoming, but in a bit.

Thoughtcrime

Sparrow
I stopped drinking at the start of this year and it's been very good for me. I'm a lot more clear-headed, weight management is easy. There are virtually no downsides. I think after a certain age, it can really lose its luster. I'm not sure if I want to commit to abstain from alcohol for an entire year, but I also can't think of a reason why I'd start drinking again, either. I wouldn't care if I never drank again.

brob

Robin
Gold Member
Just hit my 1 year wagon (Last drop of alcohol was March 07, 2020)

I remember first seeing this thread back in 2014 or 2015 when things were so different. I was in my mid-20s, coming into my bachelor years, just moved to the city, and kicking the sauce was the last thing on my mind. These were the days when the manosphere was at its peak, acting as a decentralized network of blogs, before Twitter centralized everything and killed it. I was intrigued by the mix of PUA and cultural commentary found on this forum back then. I spontaneously booked a trip to see the 2015 Roosh speech and met some of the guys back then. What a time that was. From Tokyo Joe to Gmac, the personalities never ceased to amaze and I look back on those days with nostalgia. I was only an occasional poster on the forum, nothing like the big names that used to frequent these halls. But I wanted to come back, bump up this thread, and say thanks to everyone here and wish you all well.

I never intended to become a teetotaler. It started with Covid shutting down the bars last year. Figured I may as well do a dry month. Not like I'd be missing out on any parties or anything. Then 1 month turned to 2. Which turned to 90 days. If I can go 90 days, why not shoot for 6 months. If I can go 6 months, then I gotta go for the full year. Remembered this thread. And as many of you likely know, once you get to a full year, you've learned to live without it. You've unplugged from the alcohol matrix. You've shrugged off the shackles and the thought of going back to it feels like going back to prison.

I can finally admit I was a bit of an alcoholic, something I refused to admit when I was an alcoholic. I couldn't just have a couple and be done. It always had to be a steady flow to keep the drunkenness going until I passed out. Which usually resulted in blacking out in public and feeling ashamed the next day as my friends informed me of stupid things I did and said.

Although I initially was drawn to Roosh's writings and this forum in 2014, it's been intriguing to watch the full journey. I scratched my "fun phase" itch like I always wanted to. Got the obscene notch count, started a game/lifestyle blog, even wrote a book. Did all the things this forum used to trade notes on but now discourages. And yep, the hedonistic treadmill was a dead-end road to despondency. There's a lot of toxins out there, some I still struggle with. But I'm glad to at least leave one of them behind. Sign me up for year 2 of the wagon.

I got on the wagon precisely 35 days ago. Have not drank a drop since then. To be honest it has helped a lot with recurrent anxiety, but I notice sometimes on Saturday night, I'm like "what am I doing, right now I'd normally be drinking." But then it passes.

My finances have been a lot better as a result, and because I can no longer drink, I savor food, and cook a lot more as well. I've noticed in general my diet has improved.

I don't have any urge to go back, but I do miss the (few) times when I was able to savor nice alcoholic beverages.

I think I'm gonna try to go without for at least 3 months, but more likely 6 or 1 year. My mood is much better and all round feel healthier. The first week was the hardest to be quite honest.

etwsake

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Today marks exactly six years since my last drink.

I forgot what hangovers feel like a few years ago. I remember then being worse than just a headache. I know it was an all-over body sick, from your head to your stomach. I would have to spend the entire day in a black room, not moving. But I honestly don't remember the real feeling.

After a few more years, I've pretty much forgotten what being drunk feels like. I remember the technical stuff...after I would slam about three drinks in 15 minutes, the "buzz" would set in. And then I'd keep going. And I LIKED that feeling and I was happy. But I can't remember it anymore. I know there was a very distinct change in the chemistry of my brain, and my perceptions of the world changed. But the actual real sensation of experiencing black out drunkeness? I'm not exaggerating....I don't really remember it in any tangible way that I can describe or pull up in my mind, the way I know how riding in a car or an airplane feels, or the texture of biting into a lobster even though I haven't eaten a lobster in a long time. I think that's a good thing. I won't miss what I don't remember.

I DO remember the stabs of regret and embarrassment after a blackout drunk night. The panic of scrambling to remember if you did something wrong the night before. Convincing yourself you didn't and everything's fine. Then hearing from several people that it was NOT fine and you really DID do that stuff you didn't want to think about. That I remember. And that's also a good thing.

So thanks everyone, once again, and thank you Lizard of Oz.

I'm keeping this thing rolling. Onward to year seven.

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
I’m still on team one drink (if I drink I stop at one drink)
This is a great idea for a thread though. I don’t think there is a thread for quitting smoking even though we have alcohol, masturbation, caffeine , but not nicotine

Last edited:

bacon

Ostrich
Gold Member
My 7th year on the wagon has just finished and given all the covid craziness of lockdowns and general lifestyle infringement, it was a gift to be this far along in my wagon. I know from reading anecdotal discussions that many, many people started drinking more often and have ratched up their drinking to problem levels. Boredom, uncertainty, and changes to lifestyle being triggers for many to just stop maintaining their drinking at a socially respectable level.

But the time I have been on the wagon so far has prepared me well for these periods when life gets tough and the temptation to escape into booze is seen as a welcomed decision. My behavior and way of living as a sober person is now firmly my identity. This 7 year period has brought with it so many amazing changes to my life and it feels like I am finally unlocking all the potential I had inside me.

I have probably mentioned this before in previous wagon posts, but signing on to the wagon and committing to it was the best decision I have ever made. I am so appreciative to this community of fellow wagoners and it is heartwarming to know there are other men that also have and will turn their life around from this thread and also experience a level of personal growth they never imagined possible.

Sign me up for year 8.

monsquid

Kingfisher
My 7th year on the wagon has just finished and given all the covid craziness of lockdowns and general lifestyle infringement, it was a gift to be this far along in my wagon. I know from reading anecdotal discussions that many, many people started drinking more often and have ratched up their drinking to problem levels. Boredom, uncertainty, and changes to lifestyle being triggers for many to just stop maintaining their drinking at a socially respectable level.

But the time I have been on the wagon so far has prepared me well for these periods when life gets tough and the temptation to escape into booze is seen as a welcomed decision. My behavior and way of living as a sober person is now firmly my identity. This 7 year period has brought with it so many amazing changes to my life and it feels like I am finally unlocking all the potential I had inside me.

I have probably mentioned this before in previous wagon posts, but signing on to the wagon and committing to it was the best decision I have ever made. I am so appreciative to this community of fellow wagoners and it is heartwarming to know there are other men that also have and will turn their life around from this thread and also experience a level of personal growth they never imagined possible.

Sign me up for year 8.
Congrats Bacon. What a tremendous accomplishment. Thank you for sharing your lessons learned and gains made from the wagon.

I never challenged myself or had any real reason to quit drinking. Rewind to Jan 2020 and that was my last drink. I never set out to stop, but around late march with Covaids rolling in, I realized I hadn't drank in 3 months. Then we were locked down about a month and then it was May. I thought to myself, I've almost made it 6 months.

Long story short, it's been close to a year and a half and I'm thinking of having a few beers. I loved being sober, but I've become the most boring person I know. Its been a good experience and I don't plan on being a social drunk like I used to be. Either way if I drink or not this learning experience is invaluable.