1 Year Drinking Wagon Challenge for 2014

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
I never challenged myself or had any real reason to quit drinking. Rewind to Jan 2020 and that was my last drink. I never set out to stop, but around late march with Covaids rolling in, I realized I hadn't drank in 3 months. Then we were locked down about a month and then it was May. I thought to myself, I've almost made it 6 months.

Long story short, it's been close to a year and a half and I'm thinking of having a few beers. I loved being sober, but I've become the most boring person I know. Its been a good experience and I don't plan on being a social drunk like I used to be. Either way if I drink or not this learning experience is invaluable.
Let me ask you something. When's the last time you had a baked potato? How about tomato soup? I bet you cannot remember. If you know when you had your last drink, then you have a problem with it. Stick with the sober life. It takes time to develop hobbies, passions, and interests that will make you more interesting.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
I've been listening to this podcast called I'm Quitting Alcohol by David Boyle. He has made a 5 min podcast everyday for the past 2 years from the day he stopped drinking to the current day. It's amazing to listen to how he has changed (for the better). It's the best argument for quitting drinking that I have ever heard.

monsquid

Kingfisher
I've been listening to this podcast called I'm Quitting Alcohol by David Boyle. He has made a 5 min podcast everyday for the past 2 years from the day he stopped drinking to the current day. It's amazing to listen to how he has changed (for the better). It's the best argument for quitting drinking that I have ever heard.
Thanks for sharing. I will check this out.

etwsake

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I never challenged myself or had any real reason to quit drinking. Rewind to Jan 2020 and that was my last drink. I never set out to stop, but around late march with Covaids rolling in, I realized I hadn't drank in 3 months. Then we were locked down about a month and then it was May. I thought to myself, I've almost made it 6 months.

Long story short, it's been close to a year and a half and I'm thinking of having a few beers. I loved being sober, but I've become the most boring person I know. Its been a good experience and I don't plan on being a social drunk like I used to be. Either way if I drink or not this learning experience is invaluable.

Don't know if you decided to go ahead and drink or not, but if you did, likely you've found out your answer by now.

If you really could indeed just "handle it" and managed to only drink 2 or 3 beers with friends and then stop and not crave anymore, not continue drinking, not drink the next day since, hey, you already started so what'll it hurt? etc etc....then maybe you don't have a problem.

If you had a drink and that turned into another and that turned into 10 and the next thing you know, you're waking up with a splitting headache and you don't know where you are or what time it is? Well....you know the answer to that.

I must have gone through that cycle about a dozen times. Quit for 3 months. Start again. Quit 6 months. Start again. Quit for an entire year, just to prove I could do it, right back to where I was in a matter of days. It finally sunk in that I simply can't drink in moderation. It's just not within me. Once I feel the rush, I wanna slam the throttle and take it into orbit. Every single time I drink.

We're all different though. Some guys have a single glass of scotch on a Friday evening and that's it. Nothing wrong with that.

Whatever you decided to do, I'm curious how it's going. Don't be afraid to share; I doubt anyone here will ever judge you.

Don't know if you decided to go ahead and drink or not, but if you did, likely you've found out your answer by now.

If you really could indeed just "handle it" and managed to only drink 2 or 3 beers with friends and then stop and not crave anymore, not continue drinking, not drink the next day since, hey, you already started so what'll it hurt? etc etc....then maybe you don't have a problem.

If you had a drink and that turned into another and that turned into 10 and the next thing you know, you're waking up with a splitting headache and you don't know where you are or what time it is? Well....you know the answer to that.

I must have gone through that cycle about a dozen times. Quit for 3 months. Start again. Quit 6 months. Start again. Quit for an entire year, just to prove I could do it, right back to where I was in a matter of days. It finally sunk in that I simply can't drink in moderation. It's just not within me. Once I feel the rush, I wanna slam the throttle and take it into orbit. Every single time I drink.

We're all different though. Some guys have a single glass of scotch on a Friday evening and that's it. Nothing wrong with that.

Whatever you decided to do, I'm curious how it's going. Don't be afraid to share; I doubt anyone here will ever judge you.
On my personal experience total abstinence from alcohol is much easier than drinking in moderation. (Remember "moderation" is always a relative term.)
Once you are free from alcohol, believe me, it is amazing.
Friends and family picking becasue you don't drink? Just ignore them. Remeber, people who really love/respect you, would not only admire your strenght of not drinking alcohol but would also encourage and support you.

On my personal experience total abstinence from alcohol is much easier than drinking in moderation. (Remember "moderation" is always a relative term.)
Once you are free from alcohol, believe me, it is amazing.
Friends and family picking becasue you don't drink? Just ignore them. Remeber, people who really love/respect you, would not only admire your strenght of not drinking alcohol but would also encourage and support you.

I totally get the full throttle feeling. It was the same for me every time. Moderation has never been a friend of mine. I still haven't drank, and I'm sure I will again one day. I'm in a good place right now, so I'll stretch this run out a little further.

Coming from growing up in a house where my father was an occasional weekend alcoholic, it's never been an issue for me to moderate my drinking. Although my 'drinking' consists of a whiskey every few months. Entire years have gone by where I totally forgot about alchohol.

He's (father) quit the hooch now but I found (and still find) it fascinating how intelligent, grown, reasonable, educated and seemingly well adjusted adults turn into slobbering children that cannot control themselves when it comes to this stuff. Just fascinating.

I fully admit that I don't understand the mental processes of addiction. So I'm not casting judgement. In my world it's... here's a drink, then another, then maybe one more, nice little buzz, nice and relaxed, but all done now. No need to go any further. Someone like my father has to finish the bottle, then open another one, finish that too, then pass out on the couch or floor in a pool of vomit.

Now, logically I can understand that it might be the wrong time for some intense self reflection after 5 drinks. But surely waking up the next day, in said pool of vomit, with your children looking at you in disgust, your wife thinking you're a weak man that cannot control himself, your own disgust at your weakness ... wouldn't that be a good time to look at yourself and come to the conclusion that it's perhaps not a wise idea to do so again? What is it about the experience that the event described above isn't quite enough learning and the process needs to be repeated often. And then, at what point, after doing the same dumb thing over and over again, do you realize that this isn't quite working and it's now time to do something about it. What about the harm caused for years?

But I'm happy to report that my father is now addicted to God and yoga, and addicted to preaching complete abstinence. Although, I humorously think in my head that it's still addictions nonetheless, and he still find it impossible to moderate those too, but I suppose it's not too bad as far as these things go.

monsquid

Kingfisher
It's easy to blame the character of people suffering from addiction. However, we need empathy (not sympathy) to understand the problem. Addiction can be physical as well as emotional or psychological. The human body is not perfect. It is a complex spiritual and biochemical system of systems. Alcohol and drugs exploit pathways that the body is not simply equipped to handle. Some people are genetically and culturally predisposed to fall prey. In today's clown world of declining communities, Godless cultural decline, and glorification of hedonism it is very easy for well meaning people to fall into addiction.

Finally I would encourage folks to read the OP by LoZ and encourage actively participating in the wagon and avoid making posts just to say that you successfully moderate. That is not the intent of this thread. The thread subject is clear: this is about people committing to the one year wagon.

etwsake

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Someone like my father has to finish the bottle, then open another one, finish that too, then pass out on the couch or floor in a pool of vomit.
Sounds familiar.

What is it about the experience that the event described above isn't quite enough learning and the process needs to be repeated often. And then, at what point, after doing the same dumb thing over and over again, do you realize that this isn't quite working and it's now time to do something about it. What about the harm caused for years?

Well, without getting too heavy into the psychology behind it, the answer is simple: it feels good, man.

Obviously there's more to it. We're broken, messed up people, psychologically damaged, childhood trauma, and all that. That stuff hurts. It's painful. Booze takes all that pain and makes it go away and leaves you feeling happy and warm. Til you wake up feeling even more like death than you did before. So what's the answer? More booze.