2020 South American Expat Thread

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Argentina?

I wonder how cheap it is now with the economic situation

If you take advantage of the 'dolar blue' exchange rate, you can get twice the pesos per dollar. I saw online you can rent a beautiful Mendoza apartment for $2-300. I was there in 2019, and I used the official exchange rate. I bought huge lomo sandwiches with prime beef for $4. Dólar blue exchange and that sandwich is $2. If argentina opens, I'll probably go down about buy a motorcycle half priced and smuggle it into Brazil.

I would be very, very careful about going anywhere in Latin America right now. From everything I've been told from trusted contacts there it's full on covid paranoia, curfew this, shutdown that, masks everywhere, etc with no end in sight, full support of the population & will continue for years to come. Tourists areas of Mexico may be a slight exception to this, but I'm not familiar with a single city in that entire region/continent that somewhat resembles normalcy.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
I see hurricane Lota is putting a hurting on parts of Central America. Here in Cartagena there are a lot of parts of the city under water.... but honestly that seems pretty normal to me. I hope everyone in the path of this storm is safe!

(Not a huge fan of this fellow's videos normally but he has a lot of coverage of the damage the storm has done in parts of Panama)

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I see hurricane Lota is putting a hurting on parts of Central America. Here in Cartagena there are a lot of parts of the city under water.... but honestly that seems pretty normal to me. I hope everyone in the path of this storm is safe!

(Not a huge fan of this fellow's videos normally but he has a lot of coverage of the damage the storm has done in parts of Panama)
Interesting video. I didn't even know about what was going on down there, I guess caught up with the locura of what's going on with the election

Any channels on life in panama that you would recommend?

And anyone else who knows of good channels that show expat life in any Latin country I would be interested to know. Until I get to Brazil again in December I'm stuck living adventure through youtube

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Interesting video. I didn't even know about what was going on down there, I guess caught up with the locura of what's going on with the election

Any channels on life in panama that you would recommend?

And anyone else who knows of good channels that show expat life in any Latin country I would be interested to know. Until I get to Brazil again in December I'm stuck living adventure through youtube

I think I have posted them before in here.... They seem nice enough. They were driving a bus converter into a house from Alaska to the South of Argentina. The had some bus problems in David Panama and had to wait a few days for a part to come in so they drove up to Boquete to pass the time... Within a day or two of being there they started looking at land to buy to relocate in Panama permanently. That made me curious about Boquete and start my research into Panama.

BLM riots/protests in Brazil after a black guy was choked to death by security agents

It's truly mind-boggling everything originating in the USA gets exported (either willfully or as unintended consequence) to the rest of the world

Back in the day it usually took like 10-15 years for other countries to catch up, now in the age of globalisation, 24/7 news cycles and increased command of English worldwide it's more like 10-15 weeks

Last edited:

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
BLM riots/protests in Brazil after a black guy was choked to death by security agents

It's truly mind-boggling everything originating in the USA gets exported (either willfully or as unintended consequence) to the rest of the world

Back in the day it usually took like 10-15 years for other countries to catch up, now in the age of globalisation, 24/7 news cycles and increased command of English worldwide it's more like 10-15 weeks

Seeing shit like this is disappointing, but not surprising. I was surprised back in June when Europe had many more BLM riots than Brazil did, given demographics. If you go to Brazil, it's apparent that your average black/mulatto has much less of a stick up their ass than American blacks. But flaring racial tensions are just a matter of media deciding to do so. I have a lot of faith in Brazil as being strong with Christian values, but not extremely confident as some kind of refuge for whites. If the Southern three states seceed, they could stay as white as 90%. But when I was there, the government was shuffling poor northern blacks and haitian migrants through the area like crazy

Edit: Also, out of my travels in Spanish speaking South America, I had only heard a local mention Racism/Fascism/ etc as a pejorative maybe once or twice. Brazil there were many instances I noticed of "Antifascist" grafiti/talk of racism on the TV etc

tomtud

Pelican
I would be very, very careful about going anywhere in Latin America right now. From everything I've been told from trusted contacts there it's full on covid paranoia, curfew this, shutdown that, masks everywhere, etc with no end in sight, full support of the population & will continue for years to come. Tourists areas of Mexico may be a slight exception to this, but I'm not familiar with a single city in that entire region/continent that somewhat resembles normalcy.
Latin America is vast. Just do a YouTube video of Medellin Colombia nightlife for example and you will see videos Of guys walking in the party zone a month or so ago. To clarify. I spoke with my buddies I’m Medellín and they said bars are open. Yes. They are limited to capacity with COVID measures as well other details. Point is you are right and wrong,,,,,, there are some with paranoia while others are going about life as before.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Anyone here in PdC? Wanna met some bros! a few guys here already....
1200px-Professional_Darts_Corporation_logo.svg.png

???

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member

If I end up en los paises de la hola-hola personas I hope I can sport something a little less droopy on my arm. She's got a Hillary Clinton thing going on.

Query for you guys. What are your gneral thoughts of the marriage-worthiness of Latinas? Particularly interested in las Cubanas. My experience is they are super-low in attention span on the whole. How forgiving do you think you should be with a belleza mas dulce if she is very feminine, but maybe a bit too sessed up or given to pop culture?

Tag: @bucky , @Papaya , @redbeard

Blade Runner

Pelican
A long time (in) Panama forum member reports to me that PTY is all but shut down and the future doesn't look bright. Other more remote or off the beaten path areas might still be ok, especially near the Costa Rican border, but the idea is that fear and obedience (in the bad way) is off the charts there - with power mongering central planners or their mercenary minions, to boot.

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
If I end up en los paises de la hola-hola personas I hope I can sport something a little less droopy on my arm. She's got a Hillary Clinton thing going on.

Query for you guys. What are your gneral thoughts of the marriage-worthiness of Latinas? Particularly interested in las Cubanas. My experience is they are super-low in attention span on the whole. How forgiving do you think you should be with a belleza mas dulce if she is very feminine, but maybe a bit too sessed up or given to pop culture?

Tag: @bucky , @Papaya , @redbeard

According to my Abuela, Cubanas are always gold diggers whether on the island or from Miami. The ones in the States usually vote republican, but just because of what communism did to Cuba, rather than for traditional values. I personally haven't met many Cubanas so there's prob others who know more about them.

As far as Latinas being marriageable, I would say in general Latinas can't be relied on and have incredibly short attention spans, and you have to be high energy to keep their interest. However, there definitely are some fantastic women from this part of the world. But it would take meeting many women before meeting the right one. Even if a girl tells you she's christian and goes to church, it doesn't really mean anything. But eventually you can meet one who actually lives it, they're out there.

Once you find a good one, they real can be fantastic wives. Family oriented, loves God, loves their husband, cooks good food etc etc.

Colombian women were beautiful, fun and sweet, but I felt that they were somewhat conniving. Peruvian women were homely and somewhat unrefined, but I think would be really devoted to their husband. Chileans are modern but I think that a good woman could be found in a church somewhere. Many guys say that central american women make great wives, and its not hard to find devoted women

My personal favorite are Brasilian women. They have it all. More traditional (not all, but in general for church girls), family minded, beautiful, and they respect your masculinity! They are much less likely to throw a tantrum and get in the way of you leading the family as a strong father.

I'm going down to SP in a week, I'm gonna be trying to convert this evangelical girl I met on my last trip to Catholicism. If I fail I'm going to a beach town and find myself a small town girl.

Anyone who's looking to be in Brazil for a bit to get away from winter shoot me a pm

PUA_Rachacha

Woodpecker
Interesting that no one has mentioned Mexico yet, AFAIK it has very easy tourist/resident visas, I think Yanks and Canucks can pretty much come and go all year. The violence is overblown in the media and mostly limited to areas where tourists don’t go although in recent years there’s been an increase in the Cancun region. I’m still getting to know the country, I’ve spent about three months there in total, so far my two favourite towns are Merida and Queretero, both clean, quiet, historic, safe and cheap.
I can confirm this, at least from a primary source, my best friend from college.

He burned out on the iBanking careeer in NYC and moved down to Mexico City 10 years ago. Started his own small fund acquiring poorly run banks. He raised the capital from investors in the States and used part of the raised capital for payroll, including his own.

When I first visited him and asked how he managed to get a work and residency visa from the Mexican government, he laughed at me. He said it's an open secret than any American or Canuck can move to Mexico and open a business, and they don't have to obtain any paperwork. He also only reported his income in the U.S., claiming residency there, so he used every penny for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

His business plan ultimately didn't pan out, but he met a girl from there, married her, and now they live in Texas. But he definitely enjoyed his time there, living in a penthouse in Roma Norte with his own maid.

Anybody in, recently been in, or have heard how things are going in Chile?

Their cases are way down, it’s almost summer there, and they just opened up for tourists.
Was heavily considering heading there for a few weeks in Jan. Go to the parks etc.