2020 South American Expat Thread

I’ve heard Panama likes to fuck you over for citizenship though. The residency is easy and guys think that means in a few years they’ll get the passport but are denied without reason.

This is another reason for Southeast Asia being a clear winner. I’ve met farang in Thailand (all 50+) who got Thai passports. I’ve read about younger guys doing it too.

Though I don’t think it’s a place to do serious business. Just something small and dumb with your name on it that your wife can mismanage. Then use it for petition for passport.

If you want a Latam passport the best deal is St Kitts and Nevis. Last hurricane brought the family price down to $150k-200. But you’ll have to renounce your USA passport to stop paying our insane taxes.

Right now the US government has halted applications for renunciation. The excuse is coronavirus. When they start again there is a hefty fee (% of your wealth) that must be paid for the privilege of not being American. Obama started that in 2009 I think.

There was a spike in applicants due to the secrecy in banking changes. Any European with an American parent (living as a European) got threatened by the IRS for not filing. Had their bank accounts frozen. So they just stopped being American by renunciation.

Last edited:
I was thinking of going to Santiago, Chile. I met a tall a skinny educated Chilean girl from there but working here in Mexico. Surfed, golfed, worked at a Bloomberg terminal so not a moron. She would have been perfect for me but only wanted fun. Then could only keep in touch by sending me attention whore videos of herself I was already forced to look at on Insta.

Thought maybe there was a un-poisoned version of here there. But probably just a fluke though. I’m guessing no abundance of that there.

Anyone doing any Latam traveling lately? Talked to a few guys privately. Basically fake baller for chubsters. Doesn’t seem like much has changed.

How is it going gentlemen? This Sunday will be a year since the scamdemic started here, and I feel it’s a powder keg ready to explode. People are getting desperate for medicines, vaccines aren't coming (not that I'm anxious to get the jab, even if it's the Russian one) and the kleptocrats can’t stop plundering even what’s nailed to the walls. Those with relatives in the ICU are spending close to USD 1200 per day just to keep their sick families, some can’t afford that and just leave them to die in the hospitals, and nobody bothered to think in the cheaper alternatives, like the ones suggested in the pandemic threads here. It’s calm for now due to the openings (though they can’t stop blaming that for the increase in cases), but even that won’t be enough in the next weeks or months. Things are getting hot since a few hours ago after some clashes in a protest.

If they didn’t learn when the government’s Chief of Staff was beaten and kicked out of a restaurant the night before Valentines they’ll have it worse the next time.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
How is it going gentlemen? This Sunday will be a year since the scamdemic started here, and I feel it’s a powder keg ready to explode. People are getting desperate for medicines, vaccines aren't coming (not that I'm anxious to get the jab, even if it's the Russian one) and the kleptocrats can’t stop plundering even what’s nailed to the walls. Those with relatives in the ICU are spending close to USD 1200 per day just to keep their sick families, some can’t afford that and just leave them to die in the hospitals, and nobody bothered to think in the cheaper alternatives, like the ones suggested in the pandemic threads here. It’s calm for now due to the openings (though they can’t stop blaming that for the increase in cases), but even that won’t be enough in the next weeks or months. Things are getting hot since a few hours ago after some clashes in a protest.

If they didn’t learn when the government’s Chief of Staff was beaten and kicked out of a restaurant the night before Valentines they’ll have it worse the next time.

WTF does this have to do with expats in South America?

I'm meeting up with Cr33pin in a couple of days dudes, pretty stoked, I must say, I'm sure we'll discuss plans to visit Brother Abdul Mudjeen or whatever TF his name is jajaja

What's the current situation like up there in banana country anyway Brother, do I have to get a Chinese anal swab to enter Panama from Colombia? I actually almost made it to Panama back in January, I was literally within five kms but I got spooked by a howler monkey in the jungle of Capurgana/Zapsurro and went tits up in the mud and busted up my leg so I abandoned ship.

I'm meeting up with Cr33pin in a couple of days dudes, pretty stoked, I must say, I'm sure we'll discuss plans to visit Brother Abdul Mudjeen or whatever TF his name is jajaja

What's the current situation like up there in banana country anyway Brother, do I have to get a Chinese anal swab to enter Panama from Colombia? I actually almost made it to Panama back in January, I was literally within five kms but I got spooked by a howler monkey in the jungle of Capurgana/Zapsurro and went tits up in the mud and busted up my leg so I abandoned ship.
I’m just giving the current situation in my forgotten country in South America, for those that might be interested. And I’m sure political stability is an aspect some guys here keep in mind before picking a place. I know there are far better options, but it doesn’t mean the rest should be discarded at once. Things can turn out ugly very quickly, even in the stable countries, and it’s better to keep a tab in the rest to see how the region might be affected, even if you’re living on the opposite end of the continent.

Brother Abdul Majeed

Kingfisher
Gold Member

If you come that far, you'd better have plans to meet up with Bother Abdul Mudjjeen or whatever my name is.

No anal swabs in Central America just yet, however, I can't predict the future.

It would be a pretty cool old time RVF meetup if that could happen. I'm down for it.

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
'' I'm going to escape the evil west so I can raise a family with a traditional latina. Colombia seems like a good idea, lots of traditional women who know how to respect a man and want to raise children.''

PD: I know we're not that bad as in WE or the US, and some girls here are still kind of decent but this is going to get worse. There's a reason why I'm still here in this forum lol.

^^ As a Colombian do you think all of their constant complaints and protests are warranted? Men are something like 10x more likely to be victims of homicide compared to women in most latin american countries.

Brother Abdul Majeed

Kingfisher
Gold Member
'' I'm going to escape the evil west so I can raise a family with a traditional latina. Colombia seems like a good idea, lots of traditional women who know how to respect a man and want to raise children.''

PD: I know we're not that bad as in WE or the US, and some girls here are still kind of decent but this is going to get worse. There's a reason why I'm still here in this forum lol.
You are right. It will get worse all over Latin America. Argentina and Chile are probably the worst for this sort of thing. These silly women see what American, Canadian, Australian etc. women do, and they want to behave the same way. They want to feel "empowered". Bogota is a horrible city. Medellin will become that way soon, it's inevitable.

There are still some great places i Colombia, like Bucarmanga, Santa Marta, Soledad and a dozen more. It will be years before that sort of nonsense filters through. Enjoy it while you can.

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Latin America is vulnerable to globohomo like the rest of the world, I would even say moreso than the west. But I also think that the lack of development in this part of the world has staved off the intensity and thoroughness of the neoliberal project until now. Militant feminism is obviously an insult to God and a slap in the face to civilization. But this happening in a metropolitan capital city is a different than the widespread propaganda that has been brainwashing children from birth as is in the west, where all facets of life are infected with gross perversions of gender theory. In other words, at least in Latin America outside of the major cities people still hold traditional views of gender roles and masculinity. Women in America are ruined all over, whether in New York City or small town North Carolina. I'm in rural South America and even the university educated, netflix addicted, party girls I've made small talk with still are (nominally) christian and take on a feminine role in relationships. The long term looks just as bleak as the west but for the time being, it's a breath of fresh air.

Anyways, ive been in Brazil for a while and rather than just traveling through to explore, I've been setting myself up to live here. Lots of time spent in government offices, arranging documents and researching stuff but i think Im getting the hang of the "Jeitinho". Ive posted before about my adventures here last year, I'll be making another fat post soon but this time with info and logistics. Things like visas, government bureaucracy, day to day, jobs/investing, cultural differences etc.

I will say that at moments the third world mentality pisses me off, but overall im growing more certain by the day that I want to be here permanently. My portuguese is finally good enough that I can have a sense of humor and not be hand held through comversations. I've had a few locals already tell me that they consider me Brazilian, which has been an awesome thing to hear.

mr2

Pigeon
I really enjoyed Brazil as well... I was about to type something up about my time there and then I remembered I already had and it sums up everything I was about to type.

Brazil:
I spent a few months in Porto Alegre and had a absolute blast, but a big part of that is cause there was a nice basketball park near my condo and literally everyday it didn't rain I was there balling up Brazilians. They were great people in general, the food was good, the prices were cheap, the girls were insanely sexy, safety wasn't a issue but as some of my Brazilian baller buddies pointed out... I was living in a very rich neighborhood. Brazil is a special place with a vibe that's hard to put into words. However for whatever reason I just never consider it for a "forever" destination. The language barrier kind of sucks to. I spent 2019 in South America and I legit had the best time in Brazil. After my time was up in Porto Alegre I rented a car and drove it up to the Bolivian border, which again was also a amazing experience.

If things don't pan out in Panama I may have to give Brazil another shot. If not I am running out of places in South-Central America that I would consider expating to.
Hi, first post, question: Besides language, Brazil has a high murder rate. I was thinking about this and about the USA and how you could probably live in Chicago without much risk of getting killed as long as you're not in certain areas at certain times. I wanted to ask you (and the group) what information you have on that -- how to be in Brazil and avoid the crime?

I lived in Cali, Colombia for a few months a few years ago and came to the conclusion that I would be a victim of at least robbery once or twice a year if I was to stay.

mr2

Pigeon
Brother Abdul Majeed's post in the farming thread:

I finally figured out how to make pictures small enough to be uploaded here.

When the quarantine hit, I had a choice to make and I chose to stay in town and take care of my business there. We were only allowed to be out for 4 hours a week and I couldn't take care of the farm or stay there, so it was boarded up. Needless to say everything on the farm got out of hand and the jungle started growing back. I lost all of my crops except for the bananas, plantains and yucca. They don't need human assistance to keep growing.

What country/town is this? Looks awesome!

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Hi, first post, question: Besides language, Brazil has a high murder rate. I was thinking about this and about the USA and how you could probably live in Chicago without much risk of getting killed as long as you're not in certain areas at certain times. I wanted to ask you (and the group) what information you have on that -- how to be in Brazil and avoid the crime?

I lived in Cali, Colombia for a few months a few years ago and came to the conclusion that I would be a victim of at least robbery once or twice a year if I was to stay.
So how many times did you get robbed there? I’ve probably spent about a year in Cali in total, was there all of this past February, I’ve never been robbed.

Hi All,

I just renewed my visa in Mexico, again. FYI, the Covid-19 extensions stopped being issued in September. I made my last renewal from the 6 month tourist visa to a humanitarian one just under that wire. That was free and easy.

Six months later passed in loneliness. But I made good use of the time working on myself. I was repeatedly told my only option was to leave the country and come back as a tourist.

I politely asked about other options. Finally, was allowed to do another extension which had fees and penalties amounting to about $200 (4,000 pesos).

I had to print out six months of bank statements showing about 13,000 pesos a month of income ($1000). The hardest part was waiting at the bank to pay the fees. Then go back to the office.

Best to go first thing in the morning when they open. It seemed this extension is at the discretion of the Immigration station chief. I think I’m technically a migrant now.

If I want to apply for residency in Mexico, Id have had to fly home and go through a consulate. As of 2013, the residency permits are no longer issued in Mexico.

Though, a retired lady at the gym said she heard of people gringos going from temporary to permanent inside Mexico. She also said they were able to get permanent residency in only two years.

Just didn’t feel like flying home. Still cold up north.

Anyone have success dating skinny educated women in Tier II-III Mexico? I ditched most of the apps. I was meeting promiscuous women. Have been approaching in person, but women are shy and busy

I’ve been talking with a sweet but uneducated local for a few months. She’s pretty busy working and not over being cheated on by her last boyfriend.

She finally went on a date with me. Brought her friend along. Showed up a few hours late, too.

Her friend was unmarried and pregnant but drinking alcohol. She kept joking about how my date was looking for a rich guy when I tried to talk about common interests. I’ve lost interest in dating in Mexico.

mr2

Pigeon
So how many times did you get robbed there? I’ve probably spent about a year in Cali in total, was there all of this past February, I’ve never been robbed.
Well, I was fortunate. Technically I got robbed zero times. There were two guys and one knife and I grabbed the arm of the guy with the knife. I got away with my health and my stuff. I could have avoided this particular one by not being in that place and not looking robbable (wearing a fanny pack).

This was towards the end of my 3 months. My Spanish had been getting good enough to have somewhat deeper conversations with my friends there. They told me it's normal to get robbed 1x or 2x a year. Usually you won't get hurt, you give them your money and your phone. One friend girl drove with a "fake" purse on the car seat with money and a shitty phone for when she'd get robbed. She kept the real purse under the seat. Past tense there as she got a Yankee to marry her and lives in NYC now.

Another one - friend of a friend is a Colombian-USA dual citizen. His parents still live in Cali and had wanted to stay. Third hand, they're saying that the crime has become worse with the lockdown and even they want to leave now. I find this easy to believe as I know how many locals were barely making it economically when the economy was going.

Seems funny to say, but other than that, I really loved my time there. It was so interesting. Every day had something new to learn. The Spanish was getting much better. I found a very cool girlfriend. She had been married I think 3x already with some kids. After I left she married a German guy and lives in Germany now.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
What part of Cali did you get a knife pulled on you?

Ya things are rougher these days, I’ve been keeping a lower profile myself which isn’t too difficult with the curfews. You definitely need some street smarts down here although I’ve recently seen some clueless Gringos doing really stupid things, they’ll learn.

mr2

Pigeon
<snip>
Anyone have success dating skinny educated women in Tier II-III Mexico? I ditched most of the apps. I was meeting promiscuous women. Have been approaching in person, but women are shy and busy
<snip
Her friend was unmarried and pregnant but drinking alcohol. She kept joking about how my date was looking for a rich guy when I tried to talk about common interests. I’ve lost interest in dating in Mexico.

I'm curious on that too. I have no experience in Mexico, but met a (married) Mexican woman years ago who was slim and in-shape. I'd suspect there must be a sub-culture of that maybe in the wealthier classes?

The last part was/is discouraging, but should you write off the entire country? What about throwing the net on the other side of the boat?

mr2

Pigeon
What part of Cali did you get a knife pulled on you?

Ya things are rougher these days, I’ve been keeping a lower profile myself which isn’t too difficult with the curfews. You definitely need some street smarts down here although I’ve recently seen some clueless Gringos doing really stupid things, they’ll learn.
I was up on the mountain behind Granada one Sunday. I liked to run up it. As you know, there's lots of people including armed police up there on Sunday. One day, I figured I would come down a different way than before. I thought as long as I keep going downhill, I'd get back to the city. The further down I went, there were fewer and fewer people until there was no one. I wasn't worried, because up until that point, I had a naive and romantic view and had had zero negative experiences.

Knowing what I know now, I should not have gone down to an area without other people. I should also have not worn a fanny pack which advertised that I'm carrying something valuable.

Are you there now? What part?

Are the Cento Comercio's and little corner shops open?

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
^That makes sense, I’ve actually never been up to the 3 crosses because years ago locals told me it was dangerous so I never bothered. Yes all of the tiendas and CCs were open, other than a 1am curfew, things were relatively normal.